Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-16, 11:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Re: Digital Comic Book Discussion and Deals (Comixology, etc)

Originally Posted by davidh777
DC linewide 60% off through 12/29, code DC16
I feel like they're trying really hard not to have anything rebirth at the 99c price point but that just means I'll wait longer. Weird, I know.
Old 12-27-16, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 213 Likes on 140 Posts

Comixology sent me an e-mail with a code for $20 store credit; it was titled 'Happy Holidays from Comixology' and I almost overlooked it.
Old 12-27-16, 01:25 PM

Amazon is advertising a 'one day only' 24 hour 'Digital Day' sale; the marketing includes Comixology logos - on 12/30/16.

Www.amazon.com/digitalday
Old 12-27-16, 05:23 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I feel like they're trying really hard not to have anything rebirth at the 99c price point but that just means I'll wait longer. Weird, I know.
Same here, although I did bite on the Rebirth Holiday Special, reading it tonight hopefully.
Old 12-27-16, 06:33 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I got the $20 credit as well. The email link to the CEO doesn't seem to work though.
Old 12-27-16, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by Undeadcow
Comixology sent me an e-mail with a code for $20 store credit; it was titled 'Happy Holidays from Comixology' and I almost overlooked it.
Got it too, thanks for getting me to check my email!

Used it to finish up some Boom runs. Next, checking out some Oni books to see what I'm behind on. Letter 44 and The Sixth Gun rock.
Old 12-30-16, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Immortal Iron Fist vol 1 currently free at ComiXology

EDIT: and Amazon

Last edited by davidh777; 12-30-16 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-30-16, 08:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Immortal Iron Fist vol 1 currently free at ComiXology
Thanks for that...always been curious about it since I enjoyed Hawkeye.
Old 12-30-16, 08:52 AM

As part of Amazon's 'Digital Day' they have 7 Marvel collections on sale for $0.99 including Runaways v1-5 and New Warriors v1-v2; I don't think there are any others.

Runaways v1 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2EI/
Runaways v2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2G6/
Runaways v3 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2FC/
Runaways v4 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EARP14E/
Runaways v5 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEH34EE/
New Warriors v1 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWD6OCW
New Warriors v2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKMNQXY/
Old 12-30-16, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Darn it--Iron Fist is also at Amazon, but I forgot to check there first. I prefer to buy there because Comixology will show my Amazon purchase, but Amazon won't show my Comixology purchase.

Got the 0.99 deals, thanks--I'd like to read Runaways but not sure about New Warriors, but hey, 0.99.

I was on a mindless-click-fest and nearly bought the later volumes of Runaways for the higher price.
Old 12-30-16, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 133 Likes on 107 Posts

Comixology will show my Amazon purchase, but Amazon won't show my Comixology purchase
Good to know. I wasn't aware if that. Now I will compare the titles I get at Comixology to Amazon and snag the Amazon if it exists... Thanks
Old 12-30-16, 02:06 PM

Isn't it possible to 'buy' a title you own on Comixology on Amazon since they don't synch seemingly Amazon would not block the sale?

What's up with that anyone? In the off chance Comixology goes belly up it's be reassuring to know the juggernaut that is Amazon has purchases locked in as a back-up.
Old 12-30-16, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 314 Likes on 215 Posts

What's up with that anyone? In the off chance Comixology goes belly up it's be reassuring to know the juggernaut that is Amazon has purchases locked in as a back-up.
Comixology is owned by Amazon. I don't think you need to worry about it going belly up.
Old 12-31-16, 07:50 AM

As part of Amazon's 'Digital Day' they have 7 Marvel collections on sale for $0.99 including Runaways v1-5 and New Warriors v1-v2; I don't think there are any others.

Runaways v1 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2EI/
Runaways v2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2G6/
Runaways v3 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AAJR2FC/
Runaways v4 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EARP14E/
Runaways v5 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EEH34EE/
New Warriors v1 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00LWD6OCW
New Warriors v2 - https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00RKMNQXY/
I owned 6 of the 7 already, of course. All probably at least $5 when I purchased them and all unread, sigh.......

Lots of kindle $2.99 Marvel collections as well, beating Comixology sale prices by a buck or two and Comixology-compliant.
Old 01-03-17, 02:04 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Isn't it possible to 'buy' a title you own on Comixology on Amazon since they don't synch seemingly Amazon would not block the sale?
That's exactly why I try to buy on Amazon first. It's a one-way sync: Comixology will remove the buy button when you purchase on Amazon, but Amazon doesn't acknowledge when you've bought the same title from Comixology. And even when you buy from Amazon, they will actually let you buy the same thing twice--you have to notice the bucket that acknowledges a past purchase. Don't get me wrong--that's a great feature. But it's certainly not foolproof, especially considering Amazon also encourages one-click buying from search results when you'd never see the past-purchase notification.

But maybe buying my collections from Amazon instead of directly from Comixology is why I didn't get the year-end credit that others got.
Old 01-05-17, 01:13 PM

Another 'blink and you'll miss the banner' coupon discount from Comixology is Kodansha Manga collections are half off with code MANGA, good through 1/10.

I haven't gotten into much Manga myself but am curious about Attack on Titan, Ghost in the Shell, and some others. Kodansha has frequent sales but usually less than 50% off (mostly $4.99 on regularly priced $6.99 titles). It looks like Amazon Kindle storefront is sporadically matching some of these deals (for example, Ghost in the Shell is priced 1/2 off on Amazon but Attack on Titan volumes don't seem to be).

Last edited by Undeadcow; 01-05-17 at 01:19 PM.
Old 01-05-17, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
It looks like it's free to read if you have prime, but it's not added to your account as a book you own.
Curiously I noticed that Amazon Kindle store has a number of 'read for free' comics that are also on Comixology Unlimited; I wonder how much overlap there is in these - maybe Amazon Prime 'read for free' benefits overlap to a degree that Comixology Unlimited is redundant (???).
Old 01-06-17, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Weird I don't even see that banner on the comixology homepage, only when I click through to manga. And I just bought all of attack on titan in the last sale.

Vinland Saga is awesome but it's almost a shame to buy that digitally and miss out on the beautiful hardcover volumes.

Another odd thing is that some of their digital volumes at regular price are much cheaper than physical volumes... 6.99 instead of 10.99. But some are 10.99 for both physical and digital, and even at half off I don't think that's a great deal considering you can get almost half off on physical with rightstuf sales and whatnot.

Last edited by fujishig; 01-06-17 at 12:59 AM.
Old 01-09-17, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So Marvel is changing the digital code program with their physical books. Before you'd buy their overpriced 3.99 and up physical copy and get a digital copy of the same book for free. Now you'll get two digital books from their backlog. The same two digital books for each release that week. Two digital books you've probably already read if you're a big Marvel fan, Yeah. If the intent was to kill off my physical collecting habits, mission accomplished.

It's a pain and a half to input all the digital codes but as a digital reader it at least felt like it was a bonus, and that I could convert everything to digital easily. Now I'll just wait for the digital sale or for it to show up on MCU.

The really odd thing about it is that the digital copy was the only feasible explanation I could see for keeping their prices higher than DC's, who are apparently already killing them with Rebirth and their generally lower 2.99 prices.
Old 01-09-17, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by fujishig
So Marvel is changing the digital code program with their physical books. Before you'd buy their overpriced 3.99 and up physical copy and get a digital copy of the same book for free. Now you'll get two digital books from their backlog. The same two digital books for each release that week. Two digital books you've probably already read if you're a big Marvel fan, Yeah. If the intent was to kill off my physical collecting habits, mission accomplished.

It's a pain and a half to input all the digital codes but as a digital reader it at least felt like it was a bonus, and that I could convert everything to digital easily. Now I'll just wait for the digital sale or for it to show up on MCU.

The really odd thing about it is that the digital copy was the only feasible explanation I could see for keeping their prices higher than DC's, who are apparently already killing them with Rebirth and their generally lower 2.99 prices.
That's crazy. I used to buy a lot of Marvel books, a month or three later when they were in the dollar bins, but that practice ends with this new policy. I'll just wait for digital sales.
Old 01-09-17, 09:13 AM

I'm disappointed to hear Marvel change their digital copy plan. Seemingly responses have been very negative so hopefully they will reconsider. It does create the opportunity for people to sell codes and cut into Marvel's digital sales, which is something I benefit from, I can seee them waiting to avoid that. Marvel hasnt been on a great path for some time so hopefully they also revamp their approach to plotting and quality rather than just continuing marketing micromanagement.

Also waiting for digital sales from now on.
Old 01-09-17, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Shi'ar Empire sale, today only, which inspired me to start reading my blind-buy War of Kings omnibus! I like it so far.

https://www.comixology.com/X-Men-Shi...mdlQ2Fyb3VzZWw
Old 01-09-17, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

War of Kings is great and pretty crazy. I went in not having read any of the backstory on Vulcan or why he was leading the Shiar empire, but it didn't matter too much.
Old 01-09-17, 02:37 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to start War of Kings on MU. I read Annihilation over the Summer and Conquest in November.
Old 01-09-17, 08:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Nice I'll apparently be saving money on Marvel comics, I've been contemplating a lot of Kodansha titles. Bought all the omnibus versions of Negima which is basically a steal at 6 bucks for like three manga volumes a piece. Really tempted to finally just buy Fairy Tail, which I will never own physically (my manga shelves can't hold another 50+ volume series) but that's still a lot of money.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.