Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: DC UNIVERSE Reboots in September, Same Day Digital Linewide

Odd, I love the Supergirl make-over but hate the Superman one. His outfit looks too much like body armor and I think he's wearing a Batman style utility belt. Does he keep his cellphone on it?
Old 06-10-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by kgrogers1979

Freakin awesome artwork
Old 06-10-11, 03:42 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonic
Freakin awesome artwork
If you are a horny teenager.

Harley's new origin will probably be that she is a prostitute and Joker is her pimp. Notice we haven't seen any pics of Joker yet. He will probably be looking like a pimp daddy.
Old 06-10-11, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you are a horny teenager.

Harley's new origin will probably be that she is a prostitute and Joker is her pimp. Notice we haven't seen any pics of Joker yet. He will probably be looking like a pimp daddy.
Hahaha! Dude you sound like my brother-in-law! That guy HATES everything before he sees it. I'm not a horny teenager - far from it. Again, I don't LOVE it, but I dont' hate it either.

My one question is what book is Dustin Nguyen drawing? I love that guy and haven't seen his name associated with any title.
Old 06-10-11, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Supergirl sounds like she may turn into a villain.
Sounds like someone wants to go back to the Superman/Batman: Apocalypse storyline with a mysterious, potentially dark Supergirl. Whatever.

Superboy sounds like maybe he isn't cloned during the Death of Superman but rather just some random experiment gone bad.
This one actually makes sense to me. Even if they don't retcon the "Death" story out of having happened, it's just cleaner this way. I just hope they don't go off with some kind of elaborate conspiracy plot about how he was created.

I think one reason I see it as a demotion is because she is going back to the -girl suffix. She is supposed to be a year or two older than Dick. It would be better in my opinion if she became the new Batwoman, and keep Stephanie as Batgirl.
I can see this as a perceived slight and that sounds legitimate to me. My only immediate reaction is that we're not real clear on just when we're seeing Barbara in this new incarnation so it may be that she's young enough that the "-girl" suffix will be appropriate. Also, there's no guarantee that she will still be presented as being older than Dick Grayson.
Old 06-10-11, 06:57 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
I can see this as a perceived slight and that sounds legitimate to me. My only immediate reaction is that we're not real clear on just when we're seeing Barbara in this new incarnation so it may be that she's young enough that the "-girl" suffix will be appropriate. Also, there's no guarantee that she will still be presented as being older than Dick Grayson.

There was an interview with Snyder somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly, and he was talking about how there wouldn't be any actual rebooting in the Batman titles. He was talking about it will be revealed directly in the stories how Barbara gets the use of her legs back and why she becomes Batgirl again, and why Dick goes back to Nightwing, and so on.

I think Tim will probably be the only major change in the Bat-verse. He wasn't mentioned at all when all the Bat-titles were announced and the only book he is getting is the Teen Titans book which is a heavy retcon with the teens meeting for the first time.

I think the Flashpoint reboot is really just going to be like Crisis on Infinite Earths where some characters got heavy reboots and others barely changed at all. Superman for example was drastically changed by John Byrne, but other than a new origin for Jason Todd the Batman books didn't really change at all.
Old 06-10-11, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There was an interview with Snyder somewhere, but I can't remember where exactly, and he was talking about how there wouldn't be any actual rebooting in the Batman titles. He was talking about it will be revealed directly in the stories how Barbara gets the use of her legs back and why she becomes Batgirl again, and why Dick goes back to Nightwing, and so on.
That seems problematic at best. A "back to her younger days pre-Killing Joke" Barbara Batgirl story I could buy, but to have Babs at this point in her life get back use of her legs and then go from being in a wheelchair all this time to swinging across rooftops as Batgirl? This better be one hell of a story.

I think the Flashpoint reboot is really just going to be like Crisis on Infinite Earths where some characters got heavy reboots and others barely changed at all. Superman for example was drastically changed by John Byrne, but other than a new origin for Jason Todd the Batman books didn't really change at all.
I picked up the Green Lantern issue on Free Comic Book Day and looked at the "Flashpoint" preview and my reaction was, "yawn." It just looked like a "Zero Hour" wannabe or some kind of "Elseworlds" story, and it didn't help that the last image of the comic after the story is a full page ad for "Flashpoint" action figures. It just felt like a story designed to sell toys and bilk the loyalist fanboys who have continued to buy new comics so they can complain about them.

My local comics shop is having a sidewalk sale tomorrow and as long as my guts cooperate I plan on popping in on it. I'm interested to see what kind of talk there is about all this among the faithful. I'm also interested to root around for some Danger Girl back issues, but that's neither here nor there.
Old 06-10-11, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

Forgot about Zero Hour. The last DC story line to suck me in. To bad they did a terrible job keeping me after wrapping it up.
Old 06-10-11, 10:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 453 Likes on 311 Posts

The Joker's on the cover of Detective Comics #1.

Old 06-10-11, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 820 Likes on 692 Posts

The final four are announced.

http://dcu.blog.dccomics.com/2011/06...y-happens-now/

ACTION COMICS #1

A new era of DC Comics begins as the longest-running monthly comic of all time releases its first issue #1 since 1938.

This September, New York Times bestselling writer Grant Morrison (ALL-STAR SUPERMAN) joins with sensational artist Rags Morales to bring you tales of The Man of Tomorrow unlike any you’ve ever read before in ACTION COMICS #1. This momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.

Superman #1

What is Superman’s startling new status quo? How does it affect his friends, loved ones and his job at The Daily Planet? Find out in SUPERMAN #1, written by legendary comics creator George Perez (CRISIS ON INFINITE EARTHS, NEW TEEN TITANS and WONDER WOMAN) and illustrated by Jesus Merino.

At least no mention of Superman: One More Day... yet...
The more I read about this reboot by DC, the more the changes seem driven to change the comics to precede and bolster the coming movie versions. And of course they use the dumbest angle possible to approach Superman, a world that does not trust him. Haven't we already seen that in an amazing amount of ripoffs at other companies and what-if scenarios? The new status quo will be he is single and not married yet to Lois. This all seems to eerily mimic the rumors about the upcoming Superman film.
Old 06-11-11, 03:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Navinabob
Odd, I love the Supergirl make-over but hate the Superman one. His outfit looks too much like body armor and I think he's wearing a Batman style utility belt. Does he keep his cellphone on it?
I'm right there with you. I do like how Superman looks on the Cover of Action #1, but that George Perez image looks really bad to my eyes.

I wonder how many of these 52 titles, if they're all ongoing, will make it to issue 10, let alone 15? A lot of these books sound interesting, but also sound like they're fresh out of left field. The direct market has shown time and time again that it doesn't support books that feel like they're on the fringe, and a lot of these 52 titles sound like fringe books to me. If the digital aspect of this relaunch doesn't support them, I don't see long runs on many of these books -- again, if they're ongoing.
Old 06-11-11, 04:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Todd B.
The Joker's on the cover of Detective Comics #1.
That's just a head shot. It doesn't show if he is still wearing his classic costume or a new pimp daddy costume.

This momentous first issue will set in motion the history of the DC Universe as Superman defends a world that doesn’t trust their first Super Hero.
I didn't think of this before, but the solicit says Superman is the first superhero and there has been no mention of the JSA. Does that mean the JSA is being retconned yet again?
Old 06-11-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I wonder how many of these 52 titles, if they're all ongoing, will make it to issue 10, let alone 15? A lot of these books sound interesting, but also sound like they're fresh out of left field. The direct market has shown time and time again that it doesn't support books that feel like they're on the fringe, and a lot of these 52 titles sound like fringe books to me. If the digital aspect of this relaunch doesn't support them, I don't see long runs on many of these books -- again, if they're ongoing.
The number of new titles would indicate to me that many of these books are intended as experiments, to see if digital sales alone are viable enough to support a monthly book. There is no way that DC thinks the Direct Market will support all of them. Something is going on here behind the scenes, giving this many writing jobs to artists. I wonder if the writers/artists are getting a direct cut of digital sales instead of a fixed base salary?
I didn't think of this before, but the solicit says Superman is the first superhero and there has been no mention of the JSA. Does that mean the JSA is being retconned yet again?
The classic JSA has been eliminated, or moved to an alternate Earth. At least that is the most common speculation.
Old 06-11-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Timber
Forgot about Zero Hour. The last DC story line to suck me in. To bad they did a terrible job keeping me after wrapping it up.
Probably even worse for DC that I used "Zero Hour" as the time to quit buying. I bought and read my Batman and Superman monthlies up to their #0s and then I bailed. I kept up with Green Lantern for a few years after that, but otherwise it wasn't the vow renewal event for me that they had intended. I can't help but wonder how many readers who have stuck out the last several years with DC feel that way now.

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
The more I read about this reboot by DC, the more the changes seem driven to change the comics to precede and bolster the coming movie versions. And of course they use the dumbest angle possible to approach Superman, a world that does not trust him. Haven't we already seen that in an amazing amount of ripoffs at other companies and what-if scenarios? The new status quo will be he is single and not married yet to Lois. This all seems to eerily mimic the rumors about the upcoming Superman film.
You know, one thing this reminds me of is the fact that the semi-controversial Action Comics #900 story in which Superman renounces his U.S. citizenship was written by David S. Goyer, who of course is writing (or has written) the next Superman movie. I took that to be an early indication of what they had in mind for the film, but of course that's just speculation on my part. One does kind of imagine Alec Baldwin sitting in on the relaunch meetings preaching "synergy" betwixt comics, films & TV and other merchandise. (At least, one does if one is a 30 Rock viewer.)
Old 06-11-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You know, one thing this reminds me of is the fact that the semi-controversial Action Comics #900 story in which Superman renounces his U.S. citizenship was written by David S. Goyer, who of course is writing (or has written) the next Superman movie.
That does seem to add fuel to the fire about the relaunch's true motives.
Old 06-11-11, 12:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
That does seem to add fuel to the fire about the relaunch's true motives.
It's hard to know right now. After all, if Action Comics #1 reboots Superman to the point of negating #900 then it would seem Relaunch Superman is going in a different direction from Movie Superman. I don't claim to know what any of this means right now. I just thought in the context of the discussion of what, if any, relationship is intended between the relaunch comics and the movies it was worth mentioning #900 and Goyer.
Old 06-11-11, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Probably even worse for DC that I used "Zero Hour" as the time to quit buying. I bought and read my Batman and Superman monthlies up to their #0s and then I bailed.
I think stuff like that can either be a good intro for new readers but also a gimmick that turns off people. I bought Flash #0 becuase it was a possible collectable but also featured his origin story and brought me up to speed with the character (npi).

The others I bought weren't origin retellings but were previews for the next upcoming storyline.

Reminds me of Sega and there many peripherals. They got everyone to buy into the 32X, and when their real 32 bit system came out, everyone was either out of cash or pissed.
Old 06-12-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

I'm not feeling the new Superman costume. He looks like a GI Joe action figure.
Old 06-13-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Johns and Lee talk it up. And JLA is set in the past?

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=32755
Old 06-13-11, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Johns and Lee talk it up. And JLA is set in the past?
Just the first story arc. Same with Action Comics apparently.
Old 06-13-11, 11:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,528 Posts

Sounds like the first arc of JLA is in the past to show how they set up the league and get readers caught up on the changes... JLA as the flagship title probably makes sense, as most comic fans would flock to it with the creative team alone, and it touches so many characters that you can get a good idea of how the nu DC universe works.

Action seems to be set in the past, specifically Superman's past, for now, probably longer than an initial story arc. I have to hand it to them, one way to make sure Supes doesn't have underwear outside his pants is to make him wear jeans over it.
Old 06-13-11, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 162 Likes on 124 Posts

So JLA's first arc will take place in the past along with Action while Superman, Batman and so on while launching at the same time will be present day. Sounds like they're setting fans up for some confusing first few months.
Old 06-13-11, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,973 Likes on 1,528 Posts

I wonder if Teen Titans is set in the past as well. That would allay some concerns about the whole "team meeting for the first time" thing.
Old 06-13-11, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

JSA is done

http://robot6.comicbookresources.com...stice-society/
Old 06-13-11, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

That's why they cancelled JSA back in the 90s. Image was the hot new comic company and DC felt that it hurt their own brand to publish kids comics about senior citizen superheroes. Kinda sad though because those stories were pretty good and nostalgic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.