Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Conventions

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-12, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Comic Conventions

Going back to the old and jaded motif, since I mainly just roam around and take photos, I rarely do the autograph thing anymore, but I remember lugging around short boxes filled with comics and books to get signed at conventions. I don't relish those days of lugging around short boxes (on luggage wheelie-o).

I do enjoy the Firefly cast members at conventions, they are typically entertaining and humble and do right by their fanbase (now 10 years in the making, wow, time flies). The autograph prices are getting out of control too. It's quite the cottage industry of actors and actresses who were lucky to be involved in TV shows and films that were well-remembered by the general public in the waning decades afterwards.
Old 04-11-12, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

So who besides Patman and I are going to c2e2? Just seeing if anyone wanted to chat it up this weekend.
Old 04-11-12, 11:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'll be there all day Saturday....but I don't want to talk to any of you people in person.
Old 04-11-12, 11:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
So who besides Patman and I are going to c2e2? Just seeing if anyone wanted to chat it up this weekend.

It was pretty last minute, but a friend invited me to go with him. I'm nervous as hell and taking all my meds with me and praying my guts cooperate but I'm a-goin'! Apparently, I'll have a press badge since I'm gonna blog about it for Flickchart. I'll be the dude with a beard walking around with a light brown cane. Just don't mess up my getting my Legends of the Dark Knight Halloween Special #1 signed by Loeb and Sale and we're golden.

(Oh, I'm Travis, by the way.)
Old 04-12-12, 07:17 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I'll be there. Tomorrow, I'm on the Silver Age Trivia panel taking on Mark Waid. Stop by and check it out.
Old 04-12-12, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 600 Likes on 347 Posts

So, it looks like Stan Lee is starting a comic convention of his own in Los Angeles, scheduled for September.
Old 04-12-12, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Sweet. I'll be Random Guy #7 if people we looking.
Old 04-14-12, 12:25 AM
Suspended

I had a fun day at C2E2. I met a bunch of cool people, picked up some cool books (Athena Voltaire, Smoke and Mirrors, Blankets, Cowboy, Replacement Gods, and E-Man), and had an awesome time taking on Mark Waid at Silver Age Trivia, where not once but twice I wowed the audience by answering a question based off the first 2 or 3 words ("What hero" and "What Wonder Woman villain"). Alas, Mark still beat us handily, but we all had fun!

Tomorrow, I plan to spend as much time as possible in Artist's Alley -- I only managed to get through about 20% of it today, so I've got a bunch more artists to meet!
Old 04-16-12, 12:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I had an absolute blast this weekend at C2E2! I was able to get several of my favorite issues signed by respective creators, and I left Sunday with a free Batgirl sketch by Marc Silvestri! The Val Kilmer Q&A was terrific. The guy was affable and hilarious from start to finish. I've been to several shows over the years of various kinds. Rarely have I witnessed a celebrity guest as comfortable with an audience as was Kilmer. I also interviewed some folks about the cosplay subculture and that will feature into a blog post I'm gonna write for Flickchart (gotta justify that press badge I snagged!).

The best part is that my stupid guts were actually cooperative the whole time and I was able to enjoy myself and spend time with my friend. I'm sorry I missed the Silver Age Trivia panel; I missed nearly every panel I wanted to attend, unfortunately. I was sorriest to miss one on Disabilities in Comics. I had been very excited about the chance to raise some awareness to invisible illnesses (such as Crohn's) where we often encounter "But you don't look sick!" Alas, I was still in the Marc Silvestri line the whole time of that panel.
Old 04-16-12, 08:40 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The best part is that my stupid guts were actually cooperative the whole time and I was able to enjoy myself and spend time with my friend. I'm sorry I missed the Silver Age Trivia panel; I missed nearly every panel I wanted to attend, unfortunately. I was sorriest to miss one on Disabilities in Comics. I had been very excited about the chance to raise some awareness to invisible illnesses (such as Crohn's) where we often encounter "But you don't look sick!" Alas, I was still in the Marc Silvestri line the whole time of that panel.
I couldn't make it on Sunday so I missed the disability panel too. However, I was talking to a woman at Joe Chiapetta's booth on Friday. She works for/with Joe, who was running the disability panel, and we talked for a while about invisible disabilities like depression. So Joe is very aware of invisible disabilities and I am sure it was discussed in the panel.
Old 04-16-12, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by JasonF
I couldn't make it on Sunday so I missed the disability panel too. However, I was talking to a woman at Joe Chiapetta's booth on Friday. She works for/with Joe, who was running the disability panel, and we talked for a while about invisible disabilities like depression. So Joe is very aware of invisible disabilities and I am sure it was discussed in the panel.
I'm glad to hear this! Thank you for sharing that with me. I feel a little more comfortable having missed it knowing that the issue was raised by someone else.
Old 05-18-12, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Anyone going to the Big Wow convention in San Jose this weekend?

http://www.bigwowcomicfest.com/
Old 06-06-12, 09:20 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to Philly ComicCon on Saturday and got all 5 Captains from Star Trek to sign a poster. Scott Bakula was awesome and took the time to actually speak with the fans. Patrick Stewart and Avery Brooks were great as well. Shatner, was... well Shatner.

Also met Peter Mayhew and got his autograph too.

I was surprised how small the convention seemed though. I've been going to NYCC for a few years now and was expecting something similar in size.

Looking foward now to guests being announced for NYCC this year.
Old 06-07-12, 03:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
Also met Peter Mayhew and got his autograph too.
How much was he charging?
Old 06-08-12, 10:19 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by kodave
How much was he charging?
I honestly can't remember. I think it was $25 for the pic and autograph. Definitely no more than $30.
Old 06-09-12, 01:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Geddlo
I honestly can't remember. I think it was $25 for the pic and autograph. Definitely no more than $30.
Sounds about right.
Old 06-26-12, 12:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Got back from Heroes Con yesterday and had a good time. A friend of mine met Stan Lee at the meet and greet, and we talked to Stan on the phone. Good stuff. Just saw Patman took the high res of the group cosplay, so thanks!

Here are a few of my pics, I was Cobra Commander:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/5087974...7630287498786/
Old 06-26-12, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

We have the Derby City Comic Con here in Louisville Saturday. My tentative plan is to spend the night with some friends who live a couple blocks away from the convention center and hoof it on over for that. Even if that falls through, Larry Hama will be appearing at a local comic shop called The Zone on Friday from 5-9 and I'm determined to at least meet him in person there and thank him for the impact he had on me as a child. I owe him a tremendous debt for stoking my curiosity about words and growing my vocabulary.
Old 06-26-12, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 450 Likes on 308 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Here are a few of my pics, I was Cobra Commander:
That's cool. I like the one with the 2 Cobra Commanders. I must know though. How do you see out of the Cobra Commander faceplate?
Old 06-27-12, 12:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Todd B.
That's cool. I like the one with the 2 Cobra Commanders. I must know though. How do you see out of the Cobra Commander faceplate?
Its like mirrored sunglasses. Though i twisted the shit out of ankle as we were all walking over, so I guess the real answer is not too well.
Old 06-29-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All these comic cons pale compared to the San Diego Comic Con.

13 more days!
Old 06-29-12, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
All these comic cons pale compared to the San Diego Comic Con.

13 more days!
Yeah, well, the majority of us go through life knowing we'll never get the chance to set foot at SDCC so we try to content ourselves with our sporadic opportunities to attend second and third rate shows.
Old 06-29-12, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Yeah, well, the majority of us go through life knowing we'll never get the chance to set foot at SDCC so we try to content ourselves with our sporadic opportunities to attend second and third rate shows.
I got connections and am pretty spoiled when it comes to the Con.

I shouldn't have rubbed it in. Sorry.
Old 06-30-12, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Got back from Heroes Con yesterday and had a good time. A friend of mine met Stan Lee at the meet and greet, and we talked to Stan on the phone. Good stuff. Just saw Patman took the high res of the group cosplay, so thanks!

We were not expecting 80+ cosplayers for the group shoot, that was nuts. I just prayed most of the cosplayers would be in focus for such a wide shot. Crazy.
Old 07-01-12, 11:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Patman
We were not expecting 80+ cosplayers for the group shoot, that was nuts. I just prayed most of the cosplayers would be in focus for such a wide shot. Crazy.
You did good, ive seen that shot all over Facebook

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.