Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Where do I start? Series suggestions

Old 07-11-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Re: Where do I start? Series suggestions

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Oh, I wholeheartedly agree with you there....but if you collect comics as well as read every last one, what's the point if you don't have the full run of a title, really?
Might be tough habit to break - I had to break it myself during the bullshit of the early '90s, but you need to stop following characters and instead follow specific writers/artists that you like as they jump around different projects - it's made comics more enjoyable, and less of a hassle, really, to me - makes it easier to wait for trades too. Because in the end, it's all about the creators and not really the characters - as Alan Moore says, there's no such thing as a bad character, just bad writers. So following character just because you're used to them will almost inevitably lead to heartache, whereas following specific creators is far more satisfying and consistent. I prefer to have the "full run" of specific artists/writers I enjoy rather than a full run of any character - that, to me, is "the point".
Old 07-11-10, 04:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had to break myself from even following specific creators, sometimes it was the titles/characters that didn't appeal to me (or if they got onto mega-crossover crap titles, no thanks), or the pricing (F-U, Marvel!), or either the accompanying writer or artist wasn't up to snuff. Sometimes a good writer gets paired with a crap artist, and when that happens, I just put that title on the backburner and pick it up in the cheap bins because comics are a visual medium, and if the arts is really crappy, and I can't enjoy it, I'm wasting my money on full-priced comics. The same goes for an artist stuck with crappy writers, too.

BTW, I knew a guy who had a complete run of Amazing Spider-Man from 1-400+, but then he just couldn't stomach what they were doing to the character at that point anymore, and he just had to walk away from the title, and let ... it ... go.

Last edited by Patman; 07-11-10 at 04:28 PM.
Old 07-11-10, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy View Post
Unless you've owned a comic book store since 1968, I've seen and read more comics than you've ever thought about (I once had a PERSONAL Marvel collection of over 15K books, all arranged alpha-chronologically).
Wow, are you going after the wrong guy when it comes to the amount of comics read (as most that have posted in this forum might know) The 15K in your collection is just laughable when you've worked in a comic book store since a kid & completely ran one for years. Running a comic book store, day & after day, with the amount of hours I've spent inside one is about 20 lifetimes worth of time spent reading & surrounded in comics compared to someone that has simply purchased their collection as a casual fan. I've had a personal collection of over 200 longboxes, a lot of which I got from family which is why I've read all the classic runs you love so much (well, most as I can't stand Spider-man). I am king comic book dork. Plus, you just seem to be a superhero & Marvel specifically guy, so that isn't really a fair basis to argue from in the first place as most of the greatest comics ever created have not been from Marvel.

And just like I knew from your first post, this is an age thing, your clearly are LOT older & I've had this talk with hundreds of old men over the years in my store. Its the same old bitter "things were better in the old days when I was a kid" argument. This criteria simply doesn't hold up in the medium of comics. That creator runs doen't last on a specific series isn't a knock on the quality of the book, just the changes in the medium.
Old 07-11-10, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've been working my way through FABLES and I have to say it's easily one of the greatest titles I've ever read. LOVE IT.
Old 07-11-10, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by dadaluholla View Post
I've been working my way through FABLES and I have to say it's easily one of the greatest titles I've ever read. LOVE IT.
I haven't read anything past the first main story arc, with the adversary, but I agree. That is an awesome book. Wait until you get past issue 50, when shit just ramps up like crazy.
Old 07-14-10, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by bishop2knight View Post
iggy, what are your favorite types of stories to read or movies to watch? I ask because it might help us seasoned veterans narrow down what you might like.
I'm all over the place when it comes to books and movies, but I really love sci-fi and am a totally superhero movie whore. I also like mysteries, dramas and comedies...so I guess some of everything, right? Not a big sword and sorcery fan though.

I've read one "slice of life" book "Blankets" and enjoyed it. I also read Watchmen and a few other single issues and borrowed comics here and there.

I absolutely am I not trying to get into the collecting aspect. I think the medium is cool, the art of it but the experience as well. I can buy cheap novels online, but I still like going to the book store sometimes, just to be around it all. So I'm looking to be able to make a good choice when going to the comic book store with friends and when visiting the con once a year. As boredsilly mentioned, they always have great prices.

You guys have given me some very good information and I've put much of it to my list. I also like the debate here. I hope comics aren't dead because my daughter is interested in them as well, she loves to go to the con with me.

But, please keep it coming.
Old 07-17-10, 08:31 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post
Hey Robo and madcougar, you sound like elitist comic book fans not wanting to let a new person break into your ranks!!!!
Hahaha! Hardly! PLEASE feel free to spend your hard earned money, or not so hard earned money any way you see fit! The Big 2 killed the joy of collecting for me slowly but surely. Marvel continually pissed on its own continuity, and both of the Big 2 decided that one "event" a year wasn't good enough so now we get multiple "events." If you have a compulsive personality I would beware.
Old 07-19-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar View Post
Hahaha! Hardly! PLEASE feel free to spend your hard earned money, or not so hard earned money any way you see fit! The Big 2 killed the joy of collecting for me slowly but surely. Marvel continually pissed on its own continuity, and both of the Big 2 decided that one "event" a year wasn't good enough so now we get multiple "events." If you have a compulsive personality I would beware.

Yeah, I can get compulsive at times so I appreciate the warning. I don't want this becoming a monetary black hole so I've made my list, which contains mostly trades, omnibuses and graphic novels and I'll make sure to stick with it.
Old 07-20-10, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar View Post

Yeah, I can get compulsive at times so I appreciate the warning. I don't want this becoming a monetary black hole so I've made my list, which contains mostly trades, omnibuses and graphic novels and I'll make sure to stick with it.
Great idea. I still have a mad jonesing for my comics brother. I refuse to set foot in a comic book store lest I lose my mind. I mostly just buy trades online to get my fix.