Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS

Well I don't know the ins and outs of creator royalties, but I'm sure the people who did the work get a cut of the profits of sales to libraries along with the publisher.

I concede the point about not showing publishers what new titles sell because of interest, but the library exists to serve it's users. If no one ever checked out comics, they would scale those back (or not carry them at all), just like whenever there is a major release the library buys dozens of copies of a book (per branch) because they know their is a demand there. So I maintain that by checking out books, I (and others) let the library know that they have users interested in funny books, and they then buy more. They are going to spend the tax payer money on books and media any way, why not on the things I'm actually interested in?

But ultimately, if it doesn't help the industry, I'm ok with that. That isn't really my concern. I love reading comics, but it's up to the various big wigs of comics to worry about the sustainability of the market and it's current trends and shit. I just like reading hte books.
Old 07-17-09, 04:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS

A small group of us buy our comics from a former comic shop owner who still has a Diamond account. I get everything at 35% off including independents and statues. I think all you need to purchase is at least $400 per month from Diamond to maintain an account, There are about 15 of us who buy books from him.
Old 07-17-09, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jones
I think all you need to purchase is at least $400 per month from Diamond to maintain an account, There are about 15 of us who buy books from him.
I use to run a store, so I know the ins & outs of Diamond. You need to order $500 minimun, & it's going to be $750 soon to open an account. But at the lower tier you only get a $25 % discount.
Old 08-04-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got my second DCBS order in the mail today, lots of good stuff. . .

By far, the 2 best comics of 2009, should be mandatory reading for any fan of the medium

I absolutely love these lead figurines. I've always been more of a DC guy, so I've really become addicted to the DC one. This is the best one ever though, Deathstroke rules.
Old 08-04-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I got the Preacher HC too today. I guess I thought it was going to be the same size as the Y The Last Man HCs.
Old 08-04-09, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
By far, the 2 best comics of 2009, should be mandatory reading for any fan of the medium
So your Asetrios Polyp's dust jacket is all messed up too? I thought it was just mine.
Spoiler:
Old 08-04-09, 05:12 PM

Last edited by deto; 08-04-09 at 06:01 PM. Reason: nevermind
Old 08-05-09, 01:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You read both Asterios and Hunter the day you got them?
Old 08-05-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by boredsilly
You read both Asterios and Hunter the day you got them?
I read about half of Asterios last week visiting friends in NYC & stopped reading it knowing I was going to get it , & my roommate got Hunter the day it came out.
Old 08-05-09, 04:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Is Hunter good enough that I can overlook my negative feelings on the art?

Darwyn Cooke's art reminds me of low-grade made for TV animation, and while that might be serviceable for superheroes, it seems like it would be inappropriate for something like Hunter.
Old 08-05-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Is Hunter good enough that I can overlook my negative feelings on the art?

Darwyn Cooke's art reminds me of low-grade made for TV animation, and while that might be serviceable for superheroes, it seems like it would be inappropriate for something like Hunter.
Wow slop, I just died a little bit inside

Especially the last part, b/c Cooke's art is always it's weakest on superhero books, it's made for a book like this.

And no, if don't like Cooke's work, your not going to appreciate the amazing chiaroscuro of his style. It's pure hard boiled pulp at it's finest.
Old 08-05-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I flipped through it at the LCBS, just now - his lay-outs are pretty fantastic, but those sure are a lot of square jaws on the characters...
Old 08-06-09, 03:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Wow slop, I just died a little bit inside

Especially the last part, b/c Cooke's art is always it's weakest on superhero books, it's made for a book like this.
Yeah, no shit. I've never heard anyone say they didn't like Cooke's art.

I disagree. I think his art suffers when he has to put it in a modern setting, but shines when he can 1950's-ize everything. Which is why New Frontier was awesome, and (the art) on The Spirit was awesome.
Old 08-11-09, 11:43 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
So your Asetrios Polyp's dust jacket is all messed up too? I thought it was just mine.
Spoiler:

If you look at that with 3D glasses does it look odd? Cause it looks like it would. Look.
Old 08-12-09, 01:19 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I picked up Hunter when it came out and reluctantly put it down because I've simply got too much to read to justify picking up a $25 hardcover. But I know I'm going to get it (and Asterios Polyp) sooner or later.

Does that Batman Hardcover contain anything besides the two Gaiman "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" issues? I saw it in the store, but it seemed awfully thin given its price.
Old 08-12-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm still waiting on my DCBS order to ship this month...it is pissing me off...
Old 08-12-09, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Asterios is awesome. That is all.
Old 08-13-09, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF
Does that Batman Hardcover contain anything besides the two Gaiman "Whatever Happened to the Caped Crusader" issues? I saw it in the store, but it seemed awfully thin given its price.
It also contains the Gaiman BATMAN: BLACK & WHITE story, and the Gaiman SECRET ORIGINS stories. Still, pretty thin.
Old 08-20-09, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like a rube, I keep checking back on my DCBS order page to see if the Strangers in Paradise Omnibus order went through. I'm fearing the worst.
Old 09-28-09, 01:47 PM

So, we should find out in the next few days how many of us get that Strangers in paradise book from DCBS right?
Old 09-28-09, 04:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
So, we should find out in the next few days how many of us get that Strangers in paradise book from DCBS right?
I just checked my account & it is showing pretty much everything in my order for that much as "item filled, not yet shipped" except for the SIP Omni So it's not looking good, & I placed that order literally the day DCBS put that months order form up.
Old 09-29-09, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Well, a person who works for DCBS says the thing ships on the 30th, so I wouldn't be worried yet. At least that's the route I'm willing to take, but I'm not hopeful. Worst case scenario, you could always pay twice as much as buy them straight from Tony Moore. I don't know if I could do that, but seeing as how he will probably be selling copies at Baltimore Con, I just might -- assuming my DCBS order goes unfilled (which I'm pretty sure is going to happen).
Old 09-29-09, 04:30 PM

I just got this email...

Although DCBS has not yet received its copies of STRANGERS IN PARADISE OMNIBUS LTD ED, we understand that this book will be heavily allocated. DCBS is currently taking requests for cancellation. If you are interested, please respond to this e-mail.

so, they are saying that we should let them know if we want to cancel it why? Because it may not be available right away?
Old 09-29-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, I don't get that either. Damn it. I wish Moore printed this book AFTER receiving orders for it, so that everyone who wants it can get it.
Old 09-29-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Interestingly enough, I just received an email from DCBS. Here is what it says:

"DCBS ALERT:
Although DCBS has not yet received its copies of STRANGERS IN PARADISE OMNIBUS LTD ED, we understand that this book will be heavily allocated. DCBS is currently taking requests for cancellation. If you are interested, please respond to this e-mail."

So please, anyone that ordered it do them a favor & cancel your order so I can get mine

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.