Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Interestingly enough, I just received an email from DCBS. Here is what it says:

"DCBS ALERT:
Although DCBS has not yet received its copies of STRANGERS IN PARADISE OMNIBUS LTD ED, we understand that this book will be heavily allocated. DCBS is currently taking requests for cancellation. If you are interested, please respond to this e-mail."

So please, anyone that ordered it do them a favor & cancel your order so I can get mine
I took it that way too, so basically it means if you don't really want it cancel so someone else can have it
Old 10-01-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Anyone remember my rants for supporting comic shops & never using sites like DCBS

It looks like they're going to fill the orders in the order they came in, so you should be good Sessa. I'm boned.

I actually have all of the HC's, minus 4, so it might be cheaper for me to just buy those on eBay, than buying the Omnibu at full price. But then again, this is pretty much one of my favorite series of all time. Decisions, decisions.

Last edited by boredsilly; 10-01-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-01-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boredsilly
It looks like they're going to fill the orders in the order they came in, so you should be good Sessa. I'm boned.
Got my shipping notification yesterday. Here is hoping.

I actually have all of the HC's, minus 4, so it might be cheaper for me to just buy those on eBay, than buying the Omnibu at full price. But then again, this is pretty much one of my favorite series of all time. Decisions, decisions.
I just get geek-boners over omnibusesses, so I really want it. I have all the pocket book size trades, I love those & now am glad I kept them in case I get screwed on this order. Have you read Terry Moore's new series Echo? I was really dissapointed with it, I dropped it after issues 12, a full year & I couldn't get into it, I know it just got picked up for a movie, but the characters were just so one-dimensional.
Old 10-01-09, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read the first Echo trade and I liked it. It's totally different than SiP, but there was enough there for me to latch onto. It wasn't amazing, but definitely solid. I just got the second trade from the library, so we'll see if it holds up for me.
Old 10-01-09, 11:03 PM

Got my shipping notification yesterday. Here is hoping.
I got my shipping confirmation too, but it isn't listed in the shipment...maybe they are taking a few days to sort this out and it will ship with the next shipment...
Old 10-02-09, 08:55 AM

Originally Posted by ivelostr2
I got my shipping confirmation too, but it isn't listed in the shipment...maybe they are taking a few days to sort this out and it will ship with the next shipment...
i was tracking the shipment today, and it is listed as 6lbs, but all that dcbs says is in it is Superman: new krypton 2 HC, Uncanny x-men: sisterhood tpb, and Ultimatum HC, that cant be 6 pounds right? then again the SiP set probably weighs more than 6 pounds alone...
Old 10-02-09, 12:26 PM

i was tracking the shipment today, and it is listed as 6lbs, but all that dcbs says is in it is Superman: new krypton 2 HC, Uncanny x-men: sisterhood tpb, and Ultimatum HC, that cant be 6 pounds right? then again the SiP set probably weighs more than 6 pounds alone...
sorry to keep quoting myself, but holy shit, this is the tracking info...

NEW STANTON, PA, US 10/02/2009 9:50 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
MAUMEE, OH, US 10/02/2009 4:07 A.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
10/02/2009 3:25 A.M. ARRIVAL SCAN
FORT WAYNE, IN, US 10/01/2009 11:40 P.M. DEPARTURE SCAN
10/01/2009 7:50 P.M. ORIGIN SCAN
10/01/2009 6:03 P.M. PICKUP SCAN
10/01/2009 5:17 P.M. BILLING INFO RECEIVED

...usually my stuff takes anywhre from 5-10 days to me, but New Stanton is like 10 miles from me...it should be here tomorrow...if not late today!!! that is 1 day!
Old 10-05-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Got my shipment in today, & oh well, no SiP omnibus Very bummed, plus they charged me for it, so I need to give them a call. I wasn't really expecting it, once Diamond announced as a whole, they only got 500 copies, but I thought I might luck out, since I placed my order the same day DCBS put it up. Oh well, I'm just spoiled, I literally have every single Omnibus I've wanted so far, it just annoys me that I don't have this one now. Got the Astonishing X-men Omni in this order though, that was nice, didn't even remember ordering it. Also the first Fables Hardcover among many other books.
Old 10-05-09, 05:08 PM
Banned

Who really benefits from the production of only 500 copies of the Stranger with Paradise Omnibus? Certainly not the fans.
Old 10-06-09, 12:16 AM

Got my shipment in today, & oh well, no SiP omnibus Very bummed, plus they charged me for it, so I need to give them a call. I wasn't really expecting it, once Diamond announced as a whole, they only got 500 copies, but I thought I might luck out, since I placed my order the same day DCBS put it up. Oh well, I'm just spoiled, I literally have every single Omnibus I've wanted so far, it just annoys me that I don't have this one now. Got the Astonishing X-men Omni in this order though, that was nice, didn't even remember ordering it. Also the first Fables Hardcover among many other books.
yeah, it wasn;t in mine either and they still charged me for, I figure I'll wait and see how things shake out before i give up hope...
Old 10-06-09, 05:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, I'm mostly a lurker, but just letting you guys know...if you're curious about the SiP omnibus, DCBS has filled the orders.
They haven't been shipped yet, but if you're wondering if you got one, go to the site and check your order -- it should show up as fulfilled if you're getting one.
Old 10-07-09, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by dbruner41
Hey, I'm mostly a lurker, but just letting you guys know...if you're curious about the SiP omnibus, DCBS has filled the orders.
They haven't been shipped yet, but if you're wondering if you got one, go to the site and check your order -- it should show up as fulfilled if you're getting one.

mine still says no...
Old 10-07-09, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

mine still says no...
Mine too.
Old 10-07-09, 09:45 AM

When did you guys submit your orders? Mine was on 7/4 at 10:51 p.m. I'm wondering when the cutoff must have been if they're going first come first serve.
Old 10-07-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I did mine the 5th around 7 oclock.
Old 10-07-09, 11:21 PM

i did mine on the 5th at like 2 am
Old 10-08-09, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Who really benefits from the production of only 500 copies of the Stranger with Paradise Omnibus? Certainly not the fans.
The people who can sell their copies on eBay for exorbitant sums of cash, for one.

Considering what OOP DC Absolutes and Marvel Omnibuses go for on eBay, I wouldn't be surprised if most retailers didn't even offer these to customers at cover price and instead sold them at a premium. Or sit on them and wait for the value to go up. (Not saying DCBS is doing anything like this.)

Terry Moore and Abstract screwed the pooch big time here. This should have been offered as limited to initial orders, and at least let set customer demand set the print run.

Last edited by Josh-da-man; 10-08-09 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It's not that simple Josh. Terry needed to pay for these upfront, and he looked to partner with Diamond to help with costs (which is a common thing), but for whatever reason that fell through. So he was taking a HUGE risk in printing up these very expensive books, not really sure if he would be able to sell them all. I don't blame him at all.

Things could have been done differently, sure, but he picked a road and went down it. And really, we aren't worrying about being able to buy this (we can), we're worrying about being able to buy this from DCBS at a steep discount.
Old 10-08-09, 03:58 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Was it 500 total print run, or just 500 allocated to Diamond, and the rest of the 1600(?) print run allocated to other places, as well as Terry's own web orders on his website?

Remember when Jeff Smith did that HC of the 1300 page "Bone" collected edition? For a few weeks of its release, it was floating around $95-$120 (discounted), and then it went out of print, and the price doubled overnight and finally settled whatever its going price is nowadays.

Will this SiP HC also do the same, probably. I think I"ll just be happy with my HCs of the various collected editions (come to think of it, I think I still need 3 of the last HCs in the series).
Old 10-08-09, 05:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Patman
Was it 500 total print run, or just 500 allocated to Diamond, and the rest of the 1600(?) print run allocated to other places, as well as Terry's own web orders on his website?
I don't know what the total print run is, but Diamond released an official statement that as a hole, they would only be receiving 500 copies.

Remember when Jeff Smith did that HC of the 1300 page "Bone" collected edition? For a few weeks of its release, it was floating around $95-$120 (discounted), and then it went out of print, and the price doubled overnight and finally settled whatever its going price is nowadays.
Do you mean this

I've seen it go for over $400 on ebay. It's actually more rare than the SiP will be. This was a "retailer's thank you" from Jeff Smith. One edition was sent to each retailer in the country, no more were printed. Being that I consider Bone to be the greatest sequential story ever told (not my favorite comic ever, just the best use of the medium IMO), I will not part with mine, I was offered $500 for it.
Old 10-08-09, 06:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't remember it being a retailer "Thank You" edition, but rather an orderable item from Diamond, like the SiP HC, but it also had a short print run, and I kick myself for not buying it when it was near that $100 price on Ebay until they were gone. But truth be told, I was all "Boned" out by all the various TPBs in print at the time, and then later, there was the 1300-page Bone softcover where he didn't print to order (because he had to set the print run before the final order numbers came in, and I ended up with a 2nd printing, even though my LCS placed an order for it during its solicitation, but with Jeff Smith guessing low on the initial first printing, that hosed those of us who got their orders filled with 2nd printings).

Found a listing on dynamic forces for the HC version of Bone (original price was $125 retail):

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C101871.html

Last edited by Patman; 10-08-09 at 06:18 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Found a listing on dynamic forces for the HC version of Bone (original price was $125 retail):

http://www.dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C101871.html
Wow, I had no idea, now I don't feel so special. It definitely was initially a retailer thank you though. It came in a separate box & a note with the invoice that stated one per Diamond account. Either way it's still my favorite looking omni. The Bone softcover is a must-have, it's the one I use for reading.
Old 10-08-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, be glad you have one of those Bone HCs, no matter how it came into existence.

I think the other mitigating factor (besides the price tag) was that I already had the other 9 HC volumes, so it felt like a waste to dump more money into a single collected HC volume. Of course, that was the short-sighted view of things. Grr...

And of course, history is repeating itself with the SiP Collected HC, I can try to get it at full price from Terry's website (unless it's sold out on there as well), but at least I have a fair share of them in the smaller SiP HC editions, just like I did with the Bone HCs. Plus with the economy being what it is, I'm trying not to spend as friviously as I've done in the past on collectibles. So in 5 years, I'll probably lament on passing on this current SiP collected HC edition. Double Grr...

Last edited by Patman; 10-08-09 at 06:55 PM.
Old 10-08-09, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

And of course, history is repeating itself with the SiP Collected HC, I can try to get it at full price from Terry's website (unless it's sold out on there as well), but at least I have a fair share of them in the smaller SiP HC editions, just like I did with the Bone HCs. Plus with the economy being what it is, I'm trying not to spend as friviously as I've done in the past on collectibles. So in 5 years, I'll probably lament on passing on this current SiP collected HC edition. Double Grr...
I've already given up on getting this omni, even if Moore has it at his website, there is no way I'd pay full price for it. I just noticed, that DCBS sent me another email today. They officially cancelled my order, & said they would put the credit towards my current order.
Old 10-09-09, 11:11 PM

I just placed my first order with them for the Astonishing Xmen Omnibus.