Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Classic/retro comic strips thread

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-09, 03:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Classic/retro comic strips thread

It all depends on what you like, Comedy , action , drama , fantasy , sci-fi , Etc, Etc....

I dont think you can go wrong with

Flash Gordon
Prince Valiant
Steve Canyon
The Phantom
Old 02-07-10, 05:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

I've started reading the IDW reprints of Dick Tracy. I began with volume 7, 1941-1942, which was the first of the larger format. Also, I have a book of Dick Tracy from the 1930s, and it's not so great. So far, I'm up to volume 9.

They are so totally awesome! Great stories, great art, great villains. Also, it's far more violent than anything that could possibly get printed in a newspaper today. Even a jaded guy like me sometimes has to go "Whoa!"

Last edited by Nick Danger; 02-07-10 at 05:41 PM.
Old 02-09-10, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts

The IDW volumes are indeed excellent, much better than some of the poorly fomatted/inferior Tracy which has been available in the past. They do a great version of Lil Orphan Annie as well, which is a great action/drama strip I think many people pass up because they assume it is for girls. Great art and great adventures in that one.

Other excellent (OOP unfortunately) Tracys are The Thirties: Tommy Guns and Hard Times, and Dick Tracy Casebook, which is essentially what Checker Books has split into three volumes.

And so far as Prince Valiant, the new edition (37-38) from Fantagraphics is a beaut.
Old 02-10-10, 09:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
The best-drawn comic strip ever was Little Nemo in Slumberland by Winsor McCay. Fantagraphics collected those into six volumes back in the 90s. The best strips are in the first four volumes. Last Christmas I bought myself the complete Dreams of the Rarebit Fiend, also by McCay, but I still haven't read it yet.
I've got a two-volume oversize collection of Little Nemo that included several strips thought to be lost, IIRC. I'll have to see who published it.
Old 02-20-10, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts

Something to look for on Free Comic Book Day

Old 03-23-10, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Captain Easy

<object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcL5M4JbhBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gcL5M4JbhBA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385"></embed></object>
Old 05-09-10, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by davidh777
Something to look for on Free Comic Book Day

I thought this freebie was nicely done. It had two pages each of strips (a week's worth) of a number of upcoming books, including some really classic Blondie (she's a flapper!) and Archie.

Old 05-09-10, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I've had Capt. Easy on order at Amazon since last August I think, and they still don't have a firm ship date on it yet. Very Frustrating!
Rip Kirby 2 was supposed to get released in March, but now is supposed to be delivered first week in June- I think the newest release date for it is this week.
Prince Valiant 2 isn't far away, and I just saw that Juliet Jones 3 and On Stage 7 are due in the next couple of weeks as well- all are immediate buys for me.

Didn't realize Blondie was coming. I'll be interested in that, although I'd like to see how well this era reads for me.
If Polly includes the color Sundays, that's another essential. IDW is putting out some kick-ass collections. We are in an absolute golden age for comic strip reprints. I've never seen anywhere near the quantity and quality we are getting at the moment. Good times!
Old 08-25-10, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

From Fantagraphics, Jan '11

Old 09-23-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Has anyone been collecting the Dennis the Menace box sets from Fantagraphics? Surprised that Amazon doesn't have the first 2 boxsets in stock at all. Borders.com is kind of the same way.
Old 09-24-10, 12:13 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I picked up one Dennis but haven't read it. Heard good things...
Old 12-30-10, 02:01 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I stayed up way too late tonight reading L'il Abner strips. I forgot what a genius Al Capp was.
Old 12-30-10, 02:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

This looks like the first of the Floyd Gottfredson releases Fantagraphics is doing. Have to think they'll do a bang-up job with these.

Old 12-30-10, 03:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just got Rip Kirby Vol. 3 in from Amazon. We're already past the half way point with this- only two more volumes left. This is going to be a really beautiful set of books when it's finished. Hard to believe there's already 8 years of Kirby dallies collected. It's been a long time coming.

Also last week Polly & Her Pals showed up. Very impressive over-sized volume of the color Sundays. It's about an inch shorter than DCs Wednesdays Comics, but an inch or two wider. Unlike the DC book, which left a lot of empty space at the top and bottom of the page, the formatting of this book is designed to maximize the image area. A very impressive book.

For anyone interested, who hasn't used his coupons on DVDs, Barnes and Noble.com has great prices on both of these- and even more impressive at 25% off.
Old 01-11-11, 10:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I've finally started on The Complete Dream of a Rarebit Fiend. I skipped the couple hundred pages of scholarly discussion and went straight to the comics. This book was absolutely worth the high cover price. Everyone knows that Winsor McCay was a genius, but it's a joy to see another aspect of his genius.

An interivew with Ulrich Merkl, the guy who made the book, says that he needed to sell 800 of the 1000 copies just to break even. There aren't any left for sale on the internet for cover price, so he must have sold his entire print run. I'm glad he did. He must have risked a lot of money just to create something cool.
Old 01-11-11, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I've finally started on The Complete Dream of a Rarebit Fiend. I skipped the couple hundred pages of scholarly discussion and went straight to the comics. This book was absolutely worth the high cover price. Everyone knows that Winsor McCay was a genius, but it's a joy to see another aspect of his genius.
I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. Did you get Little Sammy Sneeze yet from McCay? You should get that too.
Old 01-12-11, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I'm glad you liked it as much as I did. Did you get Little Sammy Sneeze yet from McCay? You should get that too.
No I haven't. I only have the few strips that are in Daydreams and Nightmares.
Old 01-12-11, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would Calvin & Hobbes be considered a classic at this point? To me, it was the last great comic issued in a paper. Nothing has come close since.
Old 01-12-11, 02:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

This looks like the first of the Floyd Gottfredson releases Fantagraphics is doing. Have to think they'll do a bang-up job with these.

I'm going to have to think about getting this one. I have The Uncensored Mouse, a reprint of Gottfredson strips that were briefly in the public domain. They were very good.
Old 01-12-11, 02:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by DarthVong
Would Calvin & Hobbes be considered a classic at this point? To me, it was the last great comic issued in a paper. Nothing has come close since.
Yes, I'd consider Calvin & Hobbes a classic.

The only comic strip currently in the papers that I admire is 9 Chickweed Lane. I like the author's sense of humor, I like the stories, and I think he can draw an amazing line. Since he does long arcs, you need to go back a couple of months and read up to the current issue. One story that lasted from August 2009 to September 2010. Luckily, they're all online.
Old 02-05-11, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Nice!

Old 02-06-11, 05:46 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Nice!

Me want!!!
Old 02-07-11, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone know what happened to that LONE RANGER strip book that was pictured earlier in this thread? I looked it up on Amazon and it's one of those SIGN UP TO BE NOTIFIED WHEN THIS BOOK IS AVAILABLE. Did it ever come out? Is it sold out?
Old 02-09-11, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Those Archie dallies looked a lot bet than I expected. Lots of Good Girl centric art in those panels (by Bob Montana?). I may just end up picking that up at some point.

Also found a copy of Little Orphan Annie in a B&N here. Never had any interest in the strip before, but I started to read to read it while sipping some tea in the cafe, and damned if it wasn't half bad. Another series I may pick up a volume of to see how it reads in an extended fashion.

Those Flash Gordons are listed as Titan books. I think Fantagraphics or IDW had commented in a blog post that they would be putting out their versions of the strip. The cover looks great there but I will probably be tempted to wait for a US publishers collection.
Old 02-10-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Those Flash Gordons are listed as Titan books. I think Fantagraphics or IDW had commented in a blog post that they would be putting out their versions of the strip. The cover looks great there but I will probably be tempted to wait for a US publishers collection.
Hmm, you are correct: The basic info looked very IDW to me but it does appear to be Titan. It's still a ways out so it will be interesting to see if we get any new info in the meantime.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.