Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Classic/retro comic strips thread

Old 11-05-19, 12:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: Classic/retro comic strips thread

Started the third Pogo book the other day. I'm still blown away by how amazing this strip is. Not that I would expect all comic strip artists to emulate Kelly's style or detail, but todays' comics honestly are a pale excuse for what was. *sigh*

This volume introduces Simple J. Malarkey - a swipe at Joseph McCarthy. I'm aware of this section by reputation and am looking forward to delving into it! I already read the notes in the back (these Pogo volumes have an incredible amount of extras!) and was semi-shocked at how McCarthy's tactics are mimicked by our current president!

I cannot rush these books because there's too much detail in the writing and art to take in.
Old 11-07-19, 07:22 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have the first two Pogo volumes coming today. I'm really looking forward to these.
Old 11-07-19, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm reading Bringing Up Father: From Sea to Shining Sea published by IDW. It's fun, and the art is beautiful. But it's a gag-a-day strip and I can only read a couple of pages at a time. Artist George McManus started the strip on a tour of the US and it got out of hand. He has his characters visit everywhere. It's good stuff.

I recognized one of the locations. They drive their car up La Bajada Hill between Albuquerque and Santa Fe. The old dirt road was incredibly steep. I've walked up it. McManus must have been using post cards as source material.

On the other hand, I bought the first volume on Little Orphan Annie and got irritated at it. This poor child is so abused by the system, and every chance for good fortune is dangled in front of her and then jerked away, and she cries, and then she stiffens her upper lip and pluckily carries on. It is not to my taste. I thought she would be having adventures, like the strips I read in the 1970s. But it's more of a weepy/exposť.

Anyone want to buy a partly-read copy of Little Orphan Annie, Volume 1?