Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-20, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,928 Likes on 1,491 Posts
Re: Rob Liefeld - Worst comic book artist ever?

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
John Byrne has said the one regret he had with his Superman reboot was eliminating Superboy and the mess it caused for the Legion.
I love the 5 years later run with Giffen and the Bierbaums so I can't be too bitter (and replacing Superman in the Legion mythos with Mon-el/Valor worked for me), but yeah, I feel kind of like Crisis halted the momentum of both LoSH and Teen Titans, titles that were once as big as Uncanny X-men but were really changed by Crisis (and by almost every single event thereafter because like the JSA they tie in so tightly to superhero legacy).
Old 06-16-20, 05:48 PM
Banned

Received 1,000 Likes on 666 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I love the 5 years later run with Giffen and the Bierbaums so I can't be too bitter (and replacing Superman in the Legion mythos with Mon-el/Valor worked for me), but yeah, I feel kind of like Crisis halted the momentum of both LoSH and Teen Titans, titles that were once as big as Uncanny X-men but were really changed by Crisis (and by almost every single event thereafter because like the JSA they tie in so tightly to superhero legacy).
I feel that's the biggest impact that to this day we still see in that both LOSH and Teen Titans haven't recovered from Crisis in terms of sales or popularity. Legion is particular had decent decent runs but doesn't compare to their heyday.
Old 06-17-20, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 807 Likes on 681 Posts

What gutted the Legion was they lost both Superboy and Supergirl for years and years. I never fully accepted their supposed replacements in the Legion.
Old 07-30-20, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

I take back what I said about Liefeld not having anything insightful or interesting to say. I checked out this video to hear him talk about Alan Moore and ended up finding the whole thing interesting. As someone correctly mentioned in the comments, his enthusiasm is infectious.

It sounds like even early on he was very businesses-minded, so that explains why he seems to focus more on that side of things and not so much on his own art skills. In the 90s, when his artwork was getting criticized, ie "he can't draw feet", he actually went back and took his time to refine his style and it showed in Youngblood #6 and Team Youngblood #9. But soon after it was back to running Maximum Press>Awesome Comics, and whatever else.

I have to say that I'm inclined to believe his interpretation of Alan Moore's magic persona as "schtick." Apparently when Moore was writing for them he went MIA for two weeks, and later explained that it was because he was in the astral plane with Jesus and Ghandi. And Moore wanted to continue wanted to do a third year of Supreme with Awesome Comics but he was trying to convince Liefeld to have Steve Moore write the books. "Steve Moore's Supreme." I can see Liefeld's point-of-view on that, and I can even see why he says that ABC Comics is pretty much a continuation of the Awesome line. I'm a little confused at the timeline though. Did Alan Moore already cut a deal with Wildstorm when trying to get his friend Steve Moore to write Supreme? Or was Liefeld ending his working relationship over this what prompted Moore to then go to Wildstorm?

If Alan Moore wanted to ease out of writing Supreme by replacing himself with Steve Moore, yeah, that doesn't help sales for Supreme, and I can imagine Liefeld feeling like he's getting conned, but wasn't Moore just starting to write Glory and Youngblood at the time? The man can only do so many books, so he brought prestige to Supreme for two years, wanted to move on and do the same with Glory and Youngblood. Feels like a fair trade.

I don't think his view on Moore is too accurate though, at least in regards to his stance. "Alan says, I'll never work for them again, then he works for them again." That only happened with DC when Jim Lee sold Wildstorm to the company after Moore and all his collaborators had already signed on. If he left, then all those people would be out of a job, so he stuck it out. Then he let Marvel reprint some of his UK work with some small stipulation and Marvel still messed it up, so that was that. But he rightfully heaps tons of praise on Moore, and it sucks that Awesome went under. Liefeld says that was really humiliating for him. As a fan of that particular line I'm a little sad too.

Oh yeah, his interpretation of Judgment Day is also something I didn't pick up on. He says that he just gave Moore the "Judgment Day" title for a big event and said, "write something with this title." Liefeld wanted something with Kirby-like gods and Moore gave him a courtroom drama. If you've read the series...
Spoiler:
Moore turns Sentinel, the black hero and leader of the other Youngblood team into the stories villain. Liefeld apparently asked Moore, "is this suppose to be the OJ trial, with the black guy killing his white girlfriend?" Sentinel kills Riptide, frames it on another Youngblood member, and it turns out that Sentinel's real origin is that of a stereotype: his father was a drug addict and thief, his mother was a prostitute, and he himself would embark on a life of crime. Keep in mind that Liefeld's original origin for the character was that of a successful and brilliant scientist who was commissioned by the government to build an exo-skeleton battlesuit. I have to admit, despite loving "Judgement Day" I thought it was kind of messed up that Moore did that to the black superhero character. Moore has progressive politics but a lot of his stuff can be really regressive and incredibly offensive. He fridged Batgirl, brought back a racist black UK character "Golliwog" for LOEG and even had a scene where the white women talk about how well endowed he is. In Judgment Day he turns the black superhero leader into an evil black stereotype. And in V for Vendetta, the female Evie gets sexually assaulted by the male protagonist V in order to "free her." She even kisses him on the cheek afterwards. I think Captain Nemo's daughter also gets raped in LOEG. Mina Harker too.

Old 07-30-20, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I thought that Awesome folded and that's why Moore took his pitches to Wildstorm (or Jim Lee recruited him), because (similar to what you said about when Wildstorm was sold to DC) he had all these creators doing work with him and he wanted that to continue. I don't remember ever hearing he left Liefeld in a lurch or anything.

Also, I'll agree that Liefeld has an enthusiasm for comics that is infectious, but I will also say you cannot completely trust his account of anything that involves him. I don't know him personally or anything but man there's so much revisionist history that he spouts. Even the claim that all of Moore's concepts are warmed over leftovers from Awesome are a little suspect to me, especially coming from someone who used his leftover Captain America pages for Fighting American, over which he was sued by Marvel and the settlement was that he could have a shield, but not throw it.

I'm sure I mentioned it in this thread before but the earliest comic that I remember reading from him was the Hawk and Dove miniseries that introduced Dawn, and I'll never forget the story of how he drew the comic sideways then came up with some justification that the chaos dimension was always drawn sideways. Here's Karl Kesel remembering that:

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban...s-revealed-36/

Yes, Rob did draw the entire Chaos Dimension sequence sideways or "landscape" style. He did this without consulting anyone. I'm sure Rob saw this as cool and different and exciting, but the editor, Mike Carlin, was not quite as thrilled. Personally, I'm not a huge fan of having to turn a comic sideways to read a story, especially not in the middle of an issue. It pulls you out of the story by calling far too much attention to itself. It can be done-- there was a great issue of the Moore/Bissett/Totleben SWAMP THING that actually had you turn the comic completely around as you read it that was an amazing use of the device; and John Byrne did a FANTASTIC FOUR story set in the Negative Zone where it worked well-- but generally I think it's best to avoid.

Anyway. By the time we reached the last issue of the mini-series, Rob's sights were clearly on other horizons. He had gotten later and later on deadlines...The Chaos Dimension sequence seemed to be the last straw for Carlin. As I remember it, Mike called me up to tell me that Rob had drawn the sequence sideways for no good reason, and that he (Carlin) was going to cut-and-paste it (using xeroxes) into a readable form and send those to me. Which he did. I lightboxed them onto DC paper and inked them.

By the way: Rob did NOT draw the dimension sideways because that's how it had been drawn the only other time it had been shown. THIS was the first time it had been shown-- Barbara and I created it for this story.

Mike Carlin once said of Rob: "He has it. He just doesn't have it yet." And I couldn't agree more. Rob is one of the most energetic and charming people I've ever met-- you can't help but like him-- and at the time of H&D his work showed great potential. But success came far too quickly and easily to him, and he never felt the need to develop that potential. Which is really too bad, because if he did I'm certain he would have left a very different mark on the industry. Not that things worked out that badly for him...

Last edited by fujishig; 07-30-20 at 05:44 PM.
The following users liked this post:
PhantomStranger (08-01-20)
Old 07-30-20, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought that Awesome folded and that's why Moore took his pitches to Wildstorm (or Jim Lee recruited him), because (similar to what you said about when Wildstorm was sold to DC) he had all these creators doing work with him and he wanted that to continue. I don't remember ever hearing he left Liefeld in a lurch or anything.
That's what I read as well. Awesome folded, and then Moore went to Wildstorm and did yet another variation of those archetypes (Superman and Wonder Woman).

Liefeld makes it sounds like Jim Lee lured him away and signed him while they were still working together.

I'm guessing that Moore left after Awesome folded. It doesn't seem like he left before then. Supreme was already on it's second year when Alan Moore just started writing the first issue of the new Youngblood, Rob Liefeld's flagship title. So if Moore wanted to leave Supreme, but agreed to write Youngblood and Glory for the next year or two, why would Liefeld cut ties with him?

I do recall that during this time that Moore went to Wildstorm, Liefeld published a previously unfinished Youngblood #3 or 4 as a back up in some Awesome Comics handbook, and he later published the original Glory and Youngblood proposals, I'm assuming, without Moore's permission. But maybe not. I think things got messy when in an interview Moore criticized Liefeld for not following his instructions when illustrating portions of the Judgement Day series. Moore's scripts and details are really dense, and he admits that, but he says that Liefeld would ignore all those notes, and wouldn't even draw backgrounds for some of those panels. Liefeld got mad and said, something like I followed his script to the T, and then went on a rant pretty much slamming Moore.

I have the books, and yeah, Liefeld was especially lazy for his portions of the comic. He's supposed to draw this enormous, heavily populated courtroom for most of the scenes and the reader would be lucky if Liefeld would draw two large rectangles that represent the main entrance. It was probably Liefeld's worst work at the time, and you'd think he'd give his all since it's Alan Moore and it's his companies big event.
Old 07-30-20, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
I do recall that during this time that Moore went to Wildstorm, Liefeld published a previously unfinished Youngblood #3 or 4 as a back up in some Awesome Comics handbook, and he later published the original Glory and Youngblood proposals, I'm assuming, without Moore's permission. But maybe not. I think things got messy when in an interview Moore criticized Liefeld for not following his instructions when illustrating portions of the Judgement Day series. Moore's scripts and details are really dense, and he admits that, but he says that Liefeld would ignore all those notes, and wouldn't even draw backgrounds for some of those panels. Liefeld got mad and said, something like I followed his script to the T, and then went on a rant pretty much slamming Moore.

I have the books, and yeah, Liefeld was especially lazy for his portions of the comic. He's supposed to draw this enormous, heavily populated courtroom for most of the scenes and the reader would be lucky if Liefeld would draw two large rectangles that represent the main entrance. It was probably Liefeld's worst work at the time, and you'd think he'd give his all since it's Alan Moore and it's his companies big event.

It's funny you posted this right as I was editing my previous post to put my favorite anecdote about a young Rob Liefeld. And he hadn't changed, at all. And it still wasn't his fault.
Old 07-30-20, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Also, I'll agree that Liefeld has an enthusiasm for comics that is infectious, but I will also say you cannot completely trust his account of anything that involves him. I don't know him personally or anything but man there's so much revisionist history that he spouts. Even the claim that all of Moore's concepts are warmed over leftovers from Awesome are a little suspect to me, especially coming from someone who used his leftover Captain America pages for Fighting American, over which he was sued by Marvel and the settlement was that he could have a shield, but not throw it.

I'm sure I mentioned it in this thread before but the earliest comic that I remember reading from him was the Hawk and Dove miniseries that introduced Dawn, and I'll never forget the story of how he drew the comic sideways then came up with some justification that the chaos dimension was always drawn sideways. Here's Karl Kesel remembering that:

https://www.cbr.com/comic-book-urban...s-revealed-36/
But Comic Book Urban Legends did a follow up on that, and it turns out Liefeld was right.

And here's Rob Liefeld's more in-detail account of how it happened (it's 1 of 6 tweets explaining it):

Erik Larsen, however, pointed out that there was one piece of the story that he felt was inaccurate, and explained on the Image messageboards awhile back that Rob based his Chaos dimension on a Chaos dimension that he, Erik Larsen, had drawn a little while before the Hawk and Dove issue, in an issue of Doom Patrol.
Rob was following MY example. When I had drawn the Chaos Dimension in the Doom Patrol I had the pages go to a landscape format. Rob was just following what had been established. The problem was (I was told) that "Rob didn't ask" and that "if he'd have asked it probably would have been okay."

As far as ABC being Awesome Comics left overs, I wouldn't refer to them as that, but it's clear to me that Tom Strong and Promethea are very clearly Supreme and Glory fleshed out. Even the style of storytelling is similar to what was established in Awesome Comics. There's the Supremacy in Supreme, and in Tom Strong there's a similar concept with multiple versions of that character including a cartoon bunny version, just like Supreme had a cartoon mouse version. Glory had the heroine being a comic book character in real life, and Promethea was a comic book character in real life. But Top 10 being like Youngblood seems way off. Maybe some minor elements, but it's more clearly Moore's attempt at a cop drama. I do agree it's hypocritical for Liefeld to say that though when he did something far more blatant with the example you mentioned.

Last edited by brayzie; 07-30-20 at 06:22 PM.
Old 07-30-20, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brayzie
But Comic Book Urban Legends did a follow up on that, and it turns out Liefeld was right.

As far as ABC being Awesome Comics left overs, I wouldn't refer to them as that, but it's clear to me that Tom Strong and Promethea are very clearly Supreme and Glory fleshed out. Even the style of storytelling is similar to what was established in Awesome Comics. There's the Supremacy in Supreme, and in Tom Strong there's a similar concept with multiple versions of that character including a cartoon bunny version, just like Supreme had a cartoon mouse version. Glory had the heroine being a comic book character in real life, and Promethea was a comic book character in real life. But Top 10 being like Youngblood seems way off. Maybe some minor elements, but it's more clearly Moore's attempt at a cop drama. I do agree it's hypocritical for Liefeld to say that though when he did something far more blatant with the example you mentioned.
Ha, now that you mention it I do remember that Larsen rebuttal. But it still stands that Liefeld didn't even ask and the writer himself states that he didn't intend for it to have any relation to the one Larsen drew in Doom Patrol, but Liefeld just decided that all on his own. Like that's a pretty big detail to talk to your writer about, I would think.

To me, while there may be similarities in storytelling, the archetypes and concepts used for Tom Strong and Promethea pretty much pre-date even Superman and Wonder Woman (who Supreme and Glory were obviously molded after). It's not odd for a writer or artist to use concepts they designed for other works they do later. For instance, while Nightcrawler was designed by Dave Cockrum as an unused Legion of Super Heroes member (which are seen in some of his original sketches, same with Storm), I don't think I recall DC ever saying that the character was ripped off from them.

Meanwhile you can look at pretty much every single Youngblood character, Supreme, Glory, the Fighting American, heck even Deadpool and say that the designs/concepts were clearly taken from other works. The Fighting American takes it to another level, though, for being actual work done for Captain America and slightly modified.
Old 07-30-20, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ha, now that you mention it I do remember that Larsen rebuttal. But it still stands that Liefeld didn't even ask and the writer himself states that he didn't intend for it to have any relation to the one Larsen drew in Doom Patrol, but Liefeld just decided that all on his own. Like that's a pretty big detail to talk to your writer about, I would think.
Liefeld claims that his editor was in Florida at the time, and that the Assistant Editor was in charge and that she approved the changes.

To me, while there may be similarities in storytelling, the archetypes and concepts used for Tom Strong and Promethea pretty much pre-date even Superman and Wonder Woman (who Supreme and Glory were obviously molded after). It's not odd for a writer or artist to use concepts they designed for other works they do later. For instance, while Nightcrawler was designed by Dave Cockrum as an unused Legion of Super Heroes member (which are seen in some of his original sketches, same with Storm), I don't think I recall DC ever saying that the character was ripped off from them.
I understand that, and if Liefeld was really going in on Moore for that, that's just dumb. But from what I remember of his comments, it was just him trying to save face and brag that Awesome Comics is where Alan Moore got his juice back. But as much I enjoyed that first #0 issue of Glory, Promethea is light years ahead of it in terms of execution.

Meanwhile you can look at pretty much every single Youngblood character, Supreme, Glory, the Fighting American, heck even Deadpool and say that the designs/concepts were clearly taken from other works. The Fighting American takes it to another level, though, for being actual work done for Captain America and slightly modified.
The funny thing is that nearly everyone, including myself, was criticizing and mocking Liefeld for his blatant copying of characters and yet, Moore did the exact same thing. For Awesome Comics he has ZanTar-White God of the Congo (Tarzan), Bram the Berserk (Conan the Barbarian), John Prophet the Man of Marble (Doc Savage Man of Bronze), Battlin' Baron and his Roarin' Roughnecks (Sgt. Fury and his Howling Commandos) and so on.

Alan Moore even copied crucial elements of an Asimov story for Mr. Majestic without even crediting the author.

I definitely got a newfound appreciation for Rob Liefeld after this interview. Not that he's a good guy or or that some of his behavior is justified, but it provides more context to his relationship and place in the industry.

As a creator, if he had someone to reign him in, I think he would have produced better work. But he was wearing multiple hats, as an artist, creator, publisher, brand, etc. Even though so much of his Extreme Studios stuff is unreadable, imo, I actually like collecting the really early stuff because of how slick it all looks. His version of Glory is no good, but she always had a better visual look to DC's Wonder Woman at the time. There's a surface level of excitement to those books that DC was lacking at the time.

Old 09-05-20, 06:57 PM
Banned

I'm pretty sure Rob isn't getting the right nuances and messages from Cobra Kai.

Old 10-14-20, 12:33 PM
Banned

A good write up about what went down with Liefeld's IPs and the whole Terrific Productions debacle

The following 3 users liked this post by Red Hood:
Adam Tyner (10-15-20), IBJoel (10-16-20), John Pannozzi (10-15-20)
Old 10-14-20, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 432 Posts

He’s nutty. I think he called me a fool on twitter for calling him out on his belly aching about calls in the first couple of games in the NBA finals.

Old 10-14-20, 04:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Old 02-25-21, 07:54 PM
Banned

On day 1 of the Marvel Deadpool 30th Anniversary Celebration, Rob is throwing a fit and having a meltdown on Twitter cause Fabian Nicieza rightfully took credit as co-creator of the character. Liefeld thinks he’s the only one that deserves credit for Deadpool and once again he’s coming across like a dick
Old 02-25-21, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I tuned in to his latest podcast.
I think it was supposed to be focused on the latest ep of WandaVision

Focus it turns out is the last word to use to describe his show.

For about an hour he rambled on about just about everything and finally for about 2 minutes mentioned something about WandaVision.

He’s nutty.

Also, how old is he? He went on about collecting comics in 1975.

Last edited by whotony; 02-25-21 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-25-21, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Btw, I wouldn’t say he’s throwing a fit.

He just seems to be trying to defend his belief that he alone created DP.

I have no idea what is true so I don’t care if he did it on his own or not.
Old 02-26-21, 07:59 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by whotony
Btw, I wouldn’t say he’s throwing a fit.

He just seems to be trying to defend his belief that he alone created DP.

I have no idea what is true so I don’t care if he did it on his own or not.
Is not true and he's throwing a hissy fit about it. Anytime that Nicieza publicly acknowledges that he co-created Deadpool, Liefeld goes on this Twitter rants. Several years ago, he once again became a pariah after saying this while promoting the Deadpool film

This type of shit is not only petty, but simply not true and makes him come across once again as an asshole. The thing is that he's a very big keyboard warrior that doesn't have the balls to tell this in person.
Old 02-26-21, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 737 Likes on 364 Posts

Joe Kelly deserves some kind of credit too. Without the work he did on Deadpool's first ongoing title, Deadpool would not have the popularity he does today and the movie would not exist. So much of what he established is what you see on film.
The following 3 users liked this post by Obi-Wanma:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21), majorjoe23 (02-26-21), Red Hood (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Joe Kelly deserves some kind of credit too. Without the work he did on Deadpool's first ongoing title, Deadpool would not have the popularity he does today and the movie would not exist. So much of what he established is what you see on film.
That's the weird thing about work for hire superhero comics. So many people contribute to the story, and often the original character is nothing like the current or popular character. I agree that Kelly deserves a ton of credit, even if he doesn't get "creator" credit.
The following 3 users liked this post by fujishig:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21), majorjoe23 (02-26-21), Obi-Wanma (02-26-21)
Old 02-26-21, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,191 Likes on 917 Posts

Originally Posted by whotony
I tuned in to his latest podcast.
I think it was supposed to be focused on the latest ep of WandaVision

Focus it turns out is the last word to use to describe his show.

For about an hour he rambled on about just about everything and finally for about 2 minutes mentioned something about WandaVision.

He’s nutty.

Also, how old is he? He went on about collecting comics in 1975.
Rob is 53.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21)
Old 02-26-21, 11:44 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Obi-Wan Jabroni
Exactly. By the end of 1991, Liefeld was gone from Marvel and he was credited until issue 12 of X-Force, which he had co-written with Nicieza. His last cover was issue 11 and his last interior work was issue 9. Deadpool only had 7 appearances by then, mostly cameos and several full issues where he was mostly just a mercenary. The person who truly developed more personality to the character was Nicieza, Joe Kelly and Mark Waid. Liefeld taking full credit for the character is just wrong.
Old 02-26-21, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 971 Likes on 684 Posts

This is the same argument Ditko/Kirby defenders use to minimize Stan Lee's authorship of certain characters. It's a valid argument, but it's Liefeld and he's being kind of a dick about it, so...
The following 2 users liked this post by rocket1312:
John Pannozzi (03-03-21), The Valeyard (03-01-21)
Old 02-26-21, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Rob should get credit for the costume and that's it.

Last edited by stingermck; 02-26-21 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-26-21, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by stingermck
Rob should get created for the costume and that's it.
I mean really that should go to Ditko/Lee and Wolfman/Perez

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.