Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Spider-man 'One More Day' Thread - WARNING: NO Spoilers

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-07, 09:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 622 Likes on 358 Posts
Spider-man 'One More Day' Thread - WARNING: NO Spoilers

WARNING! If you haven’t read part 4 of One More Day proceed at your own discretion. Plot points will be discussed without spoilers.

I figured this was big enough to have its own thread.

I’m not even sure how to process this. I had halfway expected the decision to end Peter and MJ’s marriage to save Aunt May, but to casually toss in erasing Peter revealing his identity was a pathetic display of poor writing. Does this mean half the events in the Civil War didn’t happen now? I’m not opposed to change, but I honestly don’t understand how I’m supposed to view the Marvel Universe at this point with regard to plot or continuity. (yeah, I know continuity is a vague concept in comics, but this comes off worse than one of DC’s old Imaginary Stories from the 1960s)

I’m also confused with the ending – Was that just a flashback for the reader’s benefit to show how wonderful Peter’s life was back when he was still living with Aunt May, or is this the result of Mephisto’s magic and reality has simply jumped so that Peter is now younger in the present day Marvel world? Are we going to see Peter shed his body again?

Also, the little girl, whom I thought was the daughter Pete and MJ had that was kidnapped by Normal Osborn (and then forgotten about) – that’s now the daughter they would’ve had??

This is a mess. Even going beyond that Peter would entertain the idea of altering events as they should happen – regardless of his guilt – and MJ going along with it, it rips apart the core of who Peter is. Spider-man was created out of guilt, and Aunt May dying from a bullet meant for Peter would’ve added to that character’s motivations in life. But no. We get a magic wish and all is better now. I am amazingly disappointed with this story.

If Stan Lee were dead, he’d be spinning in his grave.
Old 12-28-07, 09:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 622 Likes on 358 Posts
Just for the heck of it, I'm copying over some comments from the December thread since they fit here (hope y'all don't mind):

Originally Posted by boredsilly
I gave practically no interest in Spider-man, but I have found this whole One More Day situation fascinating. I often think comic fans act like reactionary babies when it comes to "changes" made to their favorite character (I'm probably guilty of this myself), but this OMD stuff just seems...wow. Long time Spidey fans are totally justified in being angry.

I'm really curious to see this play out over time. How long before changes are changed back to cancel changes that were changed to change the changes back to the changes they originally changed for changes to be changed to the old changes again that were the original changes made to change the character for change?
Originally Posted by Superboy
This is possibly the worst Spider-man story ever. This is worse than all the continuity errors in the X-men. How the fuck are Peter and MJ not married? how can Harry still be alive? You can't simply remove/replace characters in a comic like this, especially Spider-man, where the motivations for a lot of his villains and his allies are so personal. This is really tiresome. This is worse than John Byrne's "Year One", that Marvel couldn't even bring themselves to acknowledge as being canon. This rewrites years of Spider-man stories and simply says that they don't exist. Fans don't have problems with changes. Look at the Avengers and the X-men. They change constantly; the characters, the line ups, the themes of the book. What fans don't seem to respond to very well are changes that are the result of someone waving a magic wand and rewriting history, knowing full well that the story is ultimately going to be undone. Look at House of M. That was quite possibly the worst Avengers/X-men story in the history of the title. The evil Skrull cows during the Kree-Skrull war was better than this shit.
Old 12-29-07, 12:20 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Funny you should mention Stan Lee -- the Man turned 85 today (or yesterday, I suppose, since it's just after midnight as I write this).

Anyway ... One More Day. Man, this was a terrible story. I don't even know what else can be said about it. It's just a shitty story with Spider-Man and Mary Jane acting completely out of character. And it makes Spider-Man look like a complete pussy -- when he has to choose between his wife and his mommy, he picks his mommy with no hesitation. Meanwhile Mary Jane (it is implied) sells her soul to the devil.

And the explanation for why the devil wants the exact same thing that Joe Quesada wants (the end of Spidey's marriage) is lame. Peter and Mary Jane had one of the only marriages based on true love in the entire Marvel Universe? First of all, that's bullshit. We've seen plenty of marriages based on true love among the characters in the books, let alone the billions of non-characters who presumably populate Marvel Earth just as they populate regular Earth. Second of all, their love was so strong that they threw it all away to save Peter's mommy figure?

I just ... wow. I bought the first three issues because they were so bad that there was some entertainment to be had just laughing at the damned story. The fourth issue didn't even have that. It was just plain awful.
Old 12-29-07, 03:40 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Fuck you Joe Q. Fuck you in the ass.
Old 12-29-07, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Joe Q is the devil!

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjN0ThpswRc&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PjN0ThpswRc&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

So where does this leave Harry? Was he ever the Green Goblin? Was he ever married to Liz? If he wasn't then they never had their son Norman which would also take away a lot of Harry's father Norman's motivations since his return at the end of the clone story. How many storylines of the past 20 years did this fuck up?!?
Old 12-29-07, 06:39 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And, you know, if you make a deal with the devil, he usually finds a way to make it backfire on you. Something like the "Ghost Rider" movie. Aunt May survives, but then, say, dies of natural causes the next day. That, at least, would add a sense of irony to this whole mess. As it is, I can understand why JMS initially asked to have his name taken off the book.
Old 12-29-07, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
Okay Jack, you need to calm the fuck down. First of all, here's a quick rundown on everything you need to know about The Brand New Day!

1. Civil War apparently didn't happen

2. "The Other" didn't happen either

3. Neither did "Sins Past"

4. Almost 99% of the stories written by Howard Mackie, John Byrne, Peter David, Tom Defalco, and David Micheline are being wiped out of existence.

...hey, this thing isn't so bad after all!
Old 12-29-07, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts
Well at least the last Spidey book I bought, was this years Sensational Annual. You know, where MJ refuses to turn Peter in, and stands by him no matter what. Guess that can be my ending for now.
Old 12-29-07, 09:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Superboy
Okay Jack, you need to calm the fuck down. First of all, here's a quick rundown on everything you need to know about The Brand New Day!

1. Civil War apparently didn't happen

2. "The Other" didn't happen either

3. Neither did "Sins Past"

4. Almost 99% of the stories written by Howard Mackie, John Byrne, Peter David, Tom Defalco, and David Micheline are being wiped out of existence.

...hey, this thing isn't so bad after all!
That's my biggest question. What does this mean for the Marvel universe as a whole? If Civil War didn't happen, then Steve Rogers shouldn't be dead!

Wanna bet in two years we find out that he gets out of some "alternate universe"?
Old 12-30-07, 08:34 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DGibFen
That's my biggest question. What does this mean for the Marvel universe as a whole? If Civil War didn't happen, then Steve Rogers shouldn't be dead!

Wanna bet in two years we find out that he gets out of some "alternate universe"?
From what I understand, Spider-man did all of the things he did in the past, and that isn't altered, people just don't remember it anymore. That's the only way it could "work", because otherwise the Marvel U would start to collapse on itself. So MJ didn't get plucked out of time, it's just no one can recall her marriage to Peter, on top of false memories implanted in pretty much everyones head.

But then Peter has been de-aged right? So that kind of throws a few kinks in that idea.
Old 12-30-07, 10:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Oh my god, I am so happy I stopped buying comics. I think I would have made a road trip to Marvel headquarters and burned the fucking place down if I had actually bought that shitfest of a wrap-up issue. I knew that eventually they'd find a way to undo Peter revealing his identity, but damn....

As I said in one of the other threads - fuck Joe Q. Fuck him in the ass with a wooden dick, then break it off and beat him with the rest of it.

Once again, Marvel shows that they don't give a shit about continuity or long-time fans. One of their editors flat-out fucking SAID IT... so how long will it be before more people wake up and just stop buying their books?
Old 12-30-07, 10:54 AM
Banned

That's why I only read the Ultimate MU; they've got a good 15 years or so left before they have to start fucking with it too much.

'Course, I also re-read all the old stuff from '61 to about 1990.
Old 12-30-07, 05:01 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Rather odd what they did to Harry in the Ultimate universe this week considering what happened in One More Day..

Fuck'n Joe Q.
Old 12-30-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Location: A secret rebel stronghold in the Republic of San Marcos
Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
So - if Spidey's clock has been set back to 1986 - does this mean Venom has ceased to exist?

Kraven Sr. is alive again?

Reagan is still President?

Whallopin' websnappers, this sucks ass.
Old 12-30-07, 10:10 PM

It's very doubtful that they will use this as an opportunity for some nostalgia stories and other hijinks before all is set right again. Though I bet they keep his identity a secret. Maybe just have them be in a relationship instead of married.

You know, status quo. Nah, that isn't possible. I'm sure this time it's going to be permanent lasting more than a year.
Old 12-31-07, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 453 Likes on 317 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
This really cannot be said enough times.

Has the fat fuck responded to these criticisms of OMD? Because they are universal, and on one likes it at all. I mean, it's not a "love it or hate it" thing, it seems like 99.9% of people HATE it, and there has to be a response to that, right?
Old 12-31-07, 12:41 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by slop101
This really cannot be said enough times.

Has the fat fuck responded to these criticisms of OMD? Because they are universal, and on one likes it at all. I mean, it's not a "love it or hate it" thing, it seems like 99.9% of people HATE it, and there has to be a response to that, right?
http://comicbookresources.com/news/n...m.cgi?id=12664

This interview is being published over the course of the week. As of this post, only Part 1 is up, and it's pretty softball. Maybe later parts will hit a little harder.
Old 12-31-07, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 12-31-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Originally Posted by zombiezilla
That's why I only read the Ultimate MU; they've got a good 15 years or so left before they have to start fucking with it too much.
But...wasn't the reason the Ultimate universe created so that the creators could do precisely what Cocksucker Joe Q has just done in OMD?
Old 12-31-07, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 431 Likes on 293 Posts
My new sig at 'Rama

Old 01-01-08, 02:42 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Rogue588
But...wasn't the reason the Ultimate universe created so that the creators could do precisely what Cocksucker Joe Q has just done in OMD?

My thought exactly. Q is bringing the UM into the regular universe for some reason. And bravo on the new sig sir!
Old 01-01-08, 05:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually think the Ultimate Universe is going to implode soon. They are starting to really go crazy with events in that line too. Kind of takes the sails out of the idea that you can read one title to get the full story, no?

Newsarama has a nice roundtable explaining why this, on the surface, seems like a really bad idea. Nothing that you all haven't said, but there definitely are fewer "Fuck Joe Q"'s in their write up .
Old 01-01-08, 12:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I happened to be at another LCS to look for the 2nd issue of Angel, and noticed part 4 of OMD on the shelf, so I leafed through it, and my mouth was on the floor after reading that most unholy of retcons ever perpetrated on the comic-buying public.

What's sad for me is that McNiven is now going to be doing Spider-Man, but there's no way I'm supporting this mess of an egg that JoeQ has laid. Bah. It also galls me that they had the nerve to charge another $1 more per issue on the OMD issues. Please.
Old 01-01-08, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I will say this though...Joe Q did do one thing right by this OMD storyline...

He got rid of those damn "organic" webshooters.
Old 01-01-08, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I never had a problem with the "organic" web-shooters and always felt that they should've been that way from the start.

But it's not a big deal that they're gone either.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.