Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

It's October! Is Anyone Reading Anything?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

It's October! Is Anyone Reading Anything?

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-07, 12:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
What's odd is that I loved the Age of Apocalypse when it first came out, but rereading the trades, it was really a struggle to get through.
I'll do you one better in saying I thought it was fucking terrible when I borrowed the books from a friend to reread the series maybe 3 years ago. I still like the idea, but it's just too 90's crossover happy for me to get into.

But then I still love the DC vs Marvel event, so my tastes are not to be trusted.

Robo, you still reading Catwoman? After issue 71 doesn't it get your grapes that Bats isn't the father, and that he and Selina can't be an official couple? Or am I the only dork playing armchair match maker?

Last edited by boredsilly; 10-17-07 at 12:57 PM.
Old 10-17-07, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
They did it again!! I go to read the final chapter of the 6-part arc in Superman Confidential and find a different story started!! A little note informs me that the conclusion will be "printed at a later date"!!!! GAHH!!! Will All-Star Superman, which is also a continued story be next? This is truly pissing me off.
Send a letter to DC. Not an email, but a real letter. And get your friends to do the same, even the ones who don't read comics. Seriously. Write to them and tell them how frustrating this is. Tell them you should be given the next issue for free. Tell them this is driving you to the competition, or out of comics all together.

I know no one sends letters anymore, and that people love to complain on the Internet. But until people A) tell the company what pisses them off and B) stops spending the money, this will continue.
Old 10-17-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This week:

Marvel Zombies

Marvel needs more books like this.
Old 10-18-07, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,015 Likes on 839 Posts
Originally Posted by davidh777
As far as X-books, I really struggled through the first Age of Apocalypse TPB.
The stupid thing was I also bought the second TPB. Haven't cracked that.
Old 10-18-07, 07:44 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
That was really annoying when I finally got to Confidential yesterday. Is there any clue to the reason? I can't remember the last time that happened in a monthly book I read.
I had forgot that I had been buying Superman Confidential until I looked in my "wait til you have several issues" stack. I starting reading Batman Confidential and I've been enjoying it so far.
Old 10-18-07, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by boredsilly
Robo, you still reading Catwoman? After issue 71 doesn't it get your grapes that Bats isn't the father, and that he and Selina can't be an official couple? Or am I the only dork playing armchair match maker?

You're not the only one.

I stopped reading CW not long after the truth came out. I knew it wasn't going to be Bats but I was still hoping. I had even thought it woulda been cool if it was Wildcat. I remember an issue of JSA where WC was injured so he had to stay at JSA HQ and he was in a hot tub on the phone with Selina talking dirty.
Old 10-18-07, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Superboy
This week:

Marvel Zombies

Marvel needs more books like this.

Fail.
Old 10-18-07, 09:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by burnside986
Fail.
Old 10-18-07, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

There's a Marvel Zombies backlash in the works, where everybody bitches about too much Marvel Zombies stuff coming out.
Old 10-18-07, 11:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by CaptainMarvel
There's a Marvel Zombies backlash in the works, where everybody bitches about too much Marvel Zombies stuff coming out.

Damn Skippy!

I was in my LCBS today and one of the guys who knows -damn well i don't do Marvel- was going on and on about the new Marvel Zombies issue and how fucked up the opening pages were. He did this to me with that Planet Hulk Bullshit too. I'll admit that I read the the MZ graphic novel all the way through while a Barnes & Nobles, but dude, don't bogart my time with this stuff.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-19-07 at 07:36 AM.
Old 10-19-07, 05:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I meant that Marvel needs more books that are actually worth reading.
Old 10-19-07, 07:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I liked the first issue of Marvel Zombies 2 ok, but I didn't think it was spectacular or anything. And this isn't backlash because I LOVE the zombies, but this book was just alright in my eyes.
Old 10-19-07, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, the thing I have about the Zombie titles in general is the fact that its just Kirkman going back to the well. He and Marvel know that Marvel Zombies WILL sell, and fanboys will buy it regardless of if its dreck or not. I mean, looking at the first two pages and seeing "I can't believe we ate the whole thing." dosent make you groan, the by all means please, waste your money.
Old 10-19-07, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That didn't make me groan.
Old 10-19-07, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
The fact that they killed off thanos in a quick manner was rather lame. The whole "civil war" aspect of this seems like a stretch. Eh, I'm not feeling it and the variants on every marvel issue this month having zombies is getting tiring.
Old 10-19-07, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I don't mind the over-saturation of the Zombies, but I love the stories. They're FUN. Remember when Marvel comics were fun? and you could read the X-men without following 100 different plot lines, none of which made any sense?

I also loved Avengers Disassembled.
Old 10-19-07, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't mind the over-saturation of the Zombies, but I love the stories. They're FUN. Remember when Marvel comics were fun? and you could read the X-men without following 100 different plot lines, none of which made any sense?

I also loved Avengers Disassembled.
Yes, FUN needs to come back into comics.

I also recall when I could read Amazing Spider Man and it had one self contained story line and then I could pick up Peter Parker Spectacular Spider Man and it had it's own dynamic and own storyline, with only bit pieces spilling over, such as the introduction of the black costume and such.

Watchmen, as great as it was, was the death of the modern American fun comic book. I think even Alan Moore regrets what came of comics in the
wake of Watchmen. It set a new gritty "realism" in comics and made for these sweeping story lines that would require multiple issues (and titles) to tell. I think that's why Alan Moore agreed to do 1963 and the ABC line, which was all an effort to bring the fun back in comics. Too bad those series didn't have the same impact as Watchmen.

Not to dis Watchmen...but I do know Alan Moore was disappointed when creators started to try to mirror what he did in that work. Alan Moore wanted to challenge writers to come up with more original ideas for comics, more revolutionary ideas.
Old 10-20-07, 07:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Yes, FUN needs to come back into comics.

I also recall when I could read Amazing Spider Man and it had one self contained story line and then I could pick up Peter Parker Spectacular Spider Man and it had it's own dynamic and own storyline, with only bit pieces spilling over, such as the introduction of the black costume and such.

Watchmen, as great as it was, was the death of the modern American fun comic book. I think even Alan Moore regrets what came of comics in the
wake of Watchmen. It set a new gritty "realism" in comics and made for these sweeping story lines that would require multiple issues (and titles) to tell. I think that's why Alan Moore agreed to do 1963 and the ABC line, which was all an effort to bring the fun back in comics. Too bad those series didn't have the same impact as Watchmen.

Not to dis Watchmen...but I do know Alan Moore was disappointed when creators started to try to mirror what he did in that work. Alan Moore wanted to challenge writers to come up with more original ideas for comics, more revolutionary ideas.
Definitely agree about Watchmen. While a revolutionary work most took the wrong lesson from it.

I DID love the ABC line. Incredibly fun comics to read.
Old 10-20-07, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Originally Posted by calhoun07
I think that's why Alan Moore agreed to do 1963 and the ABC line, which was all an effort to bring the fun back in comics. Too bad those series didn't have the same impact as Watchmen.
Don't forget his run on Supreme, which was absolutely fantastic. Taking a shitty Liefeld book and turning it around into one of the best comics of the decade was no small feat. It just proved Moore's quote of "there's no such thing as bad characters, only bad writers".
Old 10-20-07, 06:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Don't forget his run on Supreme, which was absolutely fantastic. Taking a shitty Liefeld book and turning it around into one of the best comics of the decade was no small feat. It just proved Moore's quote of "there's no such thing as bad characters, only bad writers".
Damn, I forgot that one too.

Moore also said that Supreme was really what he wanted to do with Superman.
Old 10-20-07, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Hmm...that's an interesting quote. I wonder what Alan Moore could do with a character like Dazzler? Or Power Pack? Or Frog Man?
Old 10-21-07, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
a shitty Liefeld book
That' redundant.

Old 10-21-07, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Have you guys bemoaning comics not being fun read (or plan to read) the book I posted about earlier in this thread? Doctor 13: Architecture and Morality? It's a fairly new rule, but one I support fully, in that you cannot bitch* about comics not being fun if you haven't read this book. So hop to!

*said with love, not derision

Also, I just read Batgirl: Year One for the first time which was IN-FUCKING-CREDIBLE. It was a straight forward story, but the book had heart and charm to spare. And the art work was just breathtakingly beautiful. This is another very fun book that you might seek out if you haven't read it yet. It's only a few years old, so its easy to find. No hyperbole, but I rank this right up there with New Frontier and All Star Superman as one of the best things DC has put out in the 2000's. Note, I'm not comparing it to either NF or ASS directly (those series are on another level), just as a book that left me immensely satisfied when I was done reading it. I really wish this would get an Absolute (fat chance).

So two fun books for you all to check out. Up and at 'em soldiers.
Old 10-21-07, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

We've had that argument here, and I've always sided with Moore's line of thinking on this. ANY character can be made interesting in the right hands.
Old 10-22-07, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
But I don't think you can use Moore's Supreme run as an example of that, since he admitted he was just doing what he would want to do with Superman.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.