Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Polyethylene or Polypropylene

Old 08-02-07, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Polyethylene or Polypropylene

I have read that polyethylene is the preferred choice of many comic book collectors, but I've been quite satisfied with regular polypropylene bags for pretty much as long as I've collected comics.

My main issue with the polyethylene bags is they seem to be thin and the ones I do have want to stick to the other bags they are next to in the long box.

Which do you prefer and why?
Old 08-02-07, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

The 2 mil polyeth are clearer. I use them. Theres a smattering of the other from times I wasnt paying attention.
Old 08-02-07, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have no idea what kind of bags or boards my comics are currently rotting away in. Many different variations and combinations. I think I'll most likely be decomposing before they will, so what the hell....
Old 08-03-07, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I have no idea what kind of bags or boards my comics are currently rotting away in. Many different variations and combinations.
I'm in the same situation. I've never really questioned what kind of bags the LCS have, I just buy what they stock. I just figured that if they were designed for comic book preservation, they must be safe. I do have quite a few where the bags are stickin' to each other so I probably need to start in with a replacement project soon. whee.
Old 08-03-07, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not trying to derail this thread, but seriously, think about getting mylar. E Gerber has lots of varieties from the really thick ones for the good books to really thin ones for the others. These things protect better then the others. Plus, and this is key, mylar makes your books shine. I mean, I don't know how, but the art and colors stand out and really pop.

I use Mylite2 with full backing board. Love it. Would never go back.

They are a bit more expensive, obviously. However, you'll never need to replace them. So it's more upfront cost, but down the line, it's worth it.
Old 08-03-07, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Mylars are more than a little more expensive. A little more to me would be $2.00-$5.00 more per HUNDRED. That's like saying those new energy saving bulbs are a "little more" expensive than regular light bulbs that might cost 60 a bulb while the new bulbs cost like four dollars a bulb.

On average mylars are 4 times more expensive than regular plastic bags. Not a little...that adds up to A LOT. You realize how many long boxes full of 300 comics each I have? Most of us are not freaking Bill Gates here!
Old 08-03-07, 08:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I could see maybe using mylars on some key books for showing off purposes, but not the bulk of the stuff that mostly sits in a box.
Old 08-03-07, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I only use Mylars for certain key comics... my full run, #1-24, of Miracleman for example. As a general rule, only the books worth $10+ get the swanky treatment.

I wouldn't bother putting most modern comics (ie, from the past twenty years) in Mylars. They just aren't worth enough to justify the expense.
Old 08-04-07, 08:31 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Haven't I read that poly bags can actually damage books? Or was that just mylar propaganda?

My plan was to eventually mylar all my books, just because they are said to be more permanent, poly bags do need to replaced every 5 or so years it seems. Or do they? Is it just a aesthetic thing, or is it bag for comics to be in yellow bags?
Old 08-04-07, 10:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Trevor
Haven't I read that poly bags can actually damage books? Or was that just mylar propaganda?
I've heard similar claims, and that polyethylene bags are better for long terms storage (the preferable being mylar, of course) but I've used polypropylene bags for a good long time, and some of my comics are more than 25 years old at this point, and they have held up well over the years.

I think you are supposed to change the bags out once they start yellowing, though. That's something I intend to do soon on some of my older books as I found a good place to get bags for a low price.

This is a place to get storage supplies at rock bottom prices...you do have to buy in bulk to really save the money, but it's worth it to me.

http://www.hobbiesdepot.com/storefro...309&c=40003441
Old 08-04-07, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Mylars are more than a little more expensive. A little more to me would be $2.00-$5.00 more per HUNDRED. That's like saying those new energy saving bulbs are a "little more" expensive than regular light bulbs that might cost 60 a bulb while the new bulbs cost like four dollars a bulb.

On average mylars are 4 times more expensive than regular plastic bags. Not a little...that adds up to A LOT. You realize how many long boxes full of 300 comics each I have? Most of us are not freaking Bill Gates here!
Yeah, I hear ya. I'm not trying to suggest you go spend your yearly comic budget on mylar bags. But I would recommend you buying 100 bags and boards. With that expenditure, you can start getting one of your comic boxes filled with your best books and protect them as best as possible. This way, you know just what box to pull out when entertaining dinner guests.
Old 08-14-07, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

I wrap them in bacon. Delicious, delicious bacon.
Old 08-14-07, 01:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by The Bus
Old 08-14-07, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I think this is a huge mistake. Besides the fact that the bacon grease is going to probably drop the value of the book, the bacon isn't going to provide enough protection in the long run. Plus, you have to think of the rat factor as I call it. Rats will be more attracted to your bacon bagged books, than your typical plastic bagged books.