Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Let's talk about what comics you're reading in August, 2007

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-07, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts
Originally Posted by Rogue588
Man, if Peter David wrote more Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man issues like this latest one, his run might not've sucked..
I wonder if the art lessened my enjoyment of David's writing in that book, since X-Factor is at the top of my personal opinion poll.
Old 08-18-07, 03:02 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Just finished Gyakushu. Now that was a good read. I thought it got better as it went, with the ending totally making me jazzed for volume two.

I was praising that book whenever it came out here. Very glad to see someone else appreciate the genius that is Hipp. The storytelling through the art & panel structure on that book is stunning. It's about as good as any $10 you can spend on a book.
Old 08-19-07, 10:44 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts
After I heard about Mike Weiringo's passing I went on eBay and scored the entire "Tellos" collection for $40.

They arrived yesterday and I will start reading them this week.

It's been about 10 years since I bought my last series of comics, so it'll be fun to do it again.
Old 08-20-07, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
Damn. After reading Wizard, I gotta catchup on this "Dynamo 5".
Old 08-20-07, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Finally went to the comic shop this weekend, and I've started getting caught up on my World War Hulk reading. So far I'm loving it. It's not as epic as Planet Hulk by any means, but it is the "Hulk smashing the Marvel universe" that I was hoping for. The Iron Man beat down in the first issue was fantastic. Hell, the Mr. Fantastic beat down was fantastic as well. My only complaint is that it feels a bit rushed.

Aside from my usualy monthly books, I also picked up Essential Dazzler Vol. 1 and Essential Spider-Woman Vol. 2. I just can't get enough of this stuff.
Old 08-22-07, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts
The last 2 JSA's featuring Steel and Liberty Belle were great. I love when heroes help each other on an emotional level.
Old 08-22-07, 08:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 609 Likes on 351 Posts
Astonishing X-Men came out today!!!1! That book's schedule is so erratic they should change the title to ANNUAL X-Men just to stay current.
Old 08-22-07, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
The last 2 JSA's featuring Steel and Liberty Belle were great. I love when heroes help each other on an emotional level.
Oh yeah. After the Legion stuff, JSA is back to a top of the pile book. I always thought JSA was the "bright and light" DC book, but John's really has taken a harder edge with these characters this go round. It isn't grim n gritty exactly, but not all smiles and giggles.
Old 08-22-07, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
So are those rereads for you or are you reading some of those for the first time?

I find it hard to read older stuff sometimes just because of the different approach that was taken to comics in the 60's and 70's. I pretty much only go back as far as the 80's with a few exceptions for older reading. I LOVE to look at the artwork from those times periods though, just not read the stories so much.

I do want to read those original Lee/Kirby FF issues someday though.
I've been rereading some '70s goodness: Classic Invaders, Essential Defenders 3, Essential Avengers 5, and Essential Luke Cage 1 (recommendation off this board).

Fun to reread this stuff but I don't remember how many gaps I left myself. I read the Liberty Legion stuff but none of the Invaders. I must have flat-out-stopped reading Defenders after the first 50-something issues. And there were other story arcs that I missed parts of or never finished.

I've read some of the Showcase Presents but find they don't hold up as well to bulk reading, perhaps because they're more single-story-focused? I might change my mind if they do another Brave and the Bold covering the years I subscribed.

Last edited by davidh777; 08-22-07 at 11:07 PM.