Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Amazing Spider-Man 3 times a month

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-07, 07:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Amazing Spider-Man 3 times a month

So, Marvel has realized that the fans consider Amazing to be the main Spidey book, and have plans to cancel Friendly Neighborhood Spider-Man and Spectacular. Then Amazing will ship 3 times a month!

I only buy Amazing, since comics dollars are thin, if I wanted all 3 I'd already be buying them. Thanks Marvel!

http://forum.newsarama.com/showthread.php?t=116780
Old 06-16-07, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i sort of figured something like this was coming. Has a big potential to back fire.
Old 06-16-07, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Didn't DC do something like this back in the 80s when they made Action Comics a weekly comic book? I don't recall that working out too well either.
Old 06-16-07, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Action was a weekly for a while, without Superman. I didn't get it then so I can't comment on how good or bad it was.

I kinda liked when the Superman titles arced (with the little triangle numbers to keep it all in order), but somehow doubt that Marvel can keep it straight (glancing at the current X-titles and seeing some characters in 9 different places at the "same time" and dead characters still alive and whatever other confusion).

I suppose, being a Spidey fan for so long, I'll have to lock-step and get all the new stuff.
Old 06-16-07, 11:36 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So did I read correct that Marvel will cancel the other 2 Spidey books and have just one title? I have been a Spiderman reader for over 30 years now so I am in for everything, but I can't possibly add more titles to my sub list. If I remember correctly a new Spiderman book comes out every week so we won't see much of a change...
Old 06-16-07, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The one thing about this that is sad, is that it is a sign of a dying market. When companies have to do things to work harder to get more money from its current customer base, instead of being able to attract new customers is always a bad thing.

Wrestling has done the same thing, just upping the PPV's instead of selling more of the existing ones.

Sucks that they have to do this, but I totally understand why. If the book is good though, I wouldn't mind if I read Spidey. It seems kind of neat to have all the spidey action under the umbrella of one title.

Last edited by boredsilly; 06-19-07 at 07:49 PM.
Old 06-17-07, 11:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I like the idea. My big complaint about the 3 Spider-books was that unless it's a crossover (and sometimes even then), you feel like you're reading Amazing Spider-Man and 2 other alternate-universe Spider-Man books. If this will narrow everything down and bring back some continuity to the character, I'm all for it. It's not enough to make me add Amazing back to my purchase list, but I do think that it's a step in the right direction if they get the continuity in order again.

Most importantly, it gets rid of that dismal Peter David book. As a longtime PAD fan, I don't know what the hell happened to him. He could always be counted on for a good Spidey story or a good Hulk story, but FNSM was a mess.

Originally Posted by boredsilly
When companies have to do things to work harder to get more money from its current customer base, instead of being able to attract new customers is always a bad thing.
It's sad, because all they really have to do is do the job right the first time. But, like wrestling (and many other areas of life) it seems that the short-term quick gains solution is preferable to the long term solution that will turn out better, but will not show immediate results.

Of course in many cases I understand why they do it. You don't hold on to your high level job by saying "sure, I've not brought in profits NOW, but what I've done will bring in money in 5 years...." You'll get shit-canned, and the guy in your place 5 years from now will get the credit for your idea bringing in money.
Old 06-18-07, 09:49 AM
Banned

Let's face reality people, the comic book business is dying a slow death. There is nothing they can do to EVER bring back the million print run for any book. I have been a faithful reader for over 30 years and this is the first time I can remember that I honestly don't care what happens in comics, especially Spiderman. IMO the next time the comic companies raise their prices that will definitely be the end of comics for me. I am guessing the next price increase will be 3.29 or even 3.49...For that price they can keep them...
Old 06-18-07, 12:13 PM
wlj

so what will happen to me? i subscribe to only Amazing Spiderman....will i only get 1 of the 3 issues each month? or will my subscription just run out quicker since I will get 3 a month instead of 1. This sucks in my opinion.
Old 06-18-07, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

or will my subscription just run out quicker since I will get 3 a month instead of 1. This sucks in my opinion.
I would say that is the case, and it does suck. If I was only getting one book, and they decided to turn my 12 month subscription into a 4 month subscription I would be ticked. Now you have to buy 36 issues a year!
Old 06-18-07, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Wait, so how they heck are they going to keep up this pace? I remember a while back Marvel used to make some titles biweekly, but even then that was only for a short time (Summer, I think?). No way the Amazing team will keep up this pace, which means either a bunch of fill ins or quickly rotating creative teams, and in that case, what's the point, you just combined the books under the top selling name?
Old 06-18-07, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The next thing you know, Marvel will do something REALLY insane like bringing back Marvel Comics Presents...oh, wait. They are.
Old 06-18-07, 01:57 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
Wait, so how they heck are they going to keep up this pace? I remember a while back Marvel used to make some titles biweekly, but even then that was only for a short time (Summer, I think?). No way the Amazing team will keep up this pace, which means either a bunch of fill ins or quickly rotating creative teams, and in that case, what's the point, you just combined the books under the top selling name?
It's going to be rotating creative teams. Basically, Team A will do a 4-issue arc, then Team B will do 3 issues, then Team C will do 6 issues, then back to Team A for 5 issues, and so on. The teams (they haven't announced who they will be) will work together to ensure subplots carry over from one story to the next and to ensure that the transition from one team's story arc to another is smooth.

All story-arc lengths were made up by me as "for examples."
Old 06-18-07, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Let's see them try to do this with the X books. Wouldn't you love to see that mess condensed?
Old 06-18-07, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
The X Books are the one title I would support this kind of thing on. I wish I could buy just one X book. Oh wait I do.. New X-men
Old 06-18-07, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MovieExchange
Let's see them try to do this with the X books. Wouldn't you love to see that mess condensed?
I would love that
Old 06-18-07, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
If they did, don't touch X-Factor. That's the gem of the pile that I want all by itself.
Old 06-18-07, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,493 Posts
Exactly. The Xbooks are a little different, since they're a team, and Spidey is one guy. With our luck, they'd recombine all the xbooks and get rid of Astonishing and X-Factor and we'd get a weekly Uncanny, which I haven't read for years because it's so incomprehensible now.
Old 06-18-07, 07:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Is anyone else here saddened by the fact that Slott is leaving She-Hulk. I mean he has a more than competent follow up in David, but man, Imma miss Dan.
Old 06-18-07, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
If they did, don't touch X-Factor. That's the gem of the pile that I want all by itself.
By far the only X-book I actually enjoy at this point (and yet I keep buying the other dreck )
Old 06-18-07, 11:18 PM
wlj

when is this supposed to happen? it fukin sucks.
Old 06-19-07, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So will each issue be 1/3 the price?
Old 06-19-07, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^
|
Yea, in your dreams
Old 06-19-07, 09:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CWhippy03
^
|
Yea, in your dreams
It was just a joke comment.
Old 06-19-07, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

It might not be 1/3 the price, but I bet it'll be 4/3 the crappiness.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.