Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This Week's Comics 8/16-8/22)

Old 08-16-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

This Week's Comics 8/16-8/22)

Since we have quite a few comic book fans here, I thought this might be a good idea. If there's enough interest we'll make it a weekly thing, with a new thread every Thursday (since any true comic nerd usually has picked up the week's new releases by Thursday evening.

This is the place to list what books you got this week, including back issues and trade paperbacks/graphic novels. Leave any comments or recommendations you like. Reviews are also nice, but let's keep them spoiler-free (or at least use spoiler tags).

Well, it was a big week for me...mostly superhero stuff. Lots of new releases and things that I overlooked last week. My list:

Deadman: Dead Again #3 - A great disappointment for me. I love the character of Deadman and this miniseries had an interesting plot. Unfortunately, it goes nowhere. Dull. I'm buying it in hopes that it will tie into the upcoming monthly series, which, hopefully, will be much better.

The Amazing Spider-Man #34 - How long has it been since there was a good monthly Spider-Man title? And now we have two. This one and "Ultimate Spider-Man". Straczynski is willing to take risks that other writers were afraid of and Romita's art is wonderfully nostalgic.

Ultimate X-Men - I can't believe I'm reading a X-book. I picked it up because Mark Millar's writing it, and I've been pleasantly surprised. It almost has me wanting to pick up Grant Morrisson's X-book. Almost.

JSA #27 - Better with each issue. Better with each change in the creative team. One of my favorite books right now.

The Flash: Iron Heights - I've never been much of a Flash fan, but I picked it up because Geoff Johns ("JSA") wrote it. Worth a try, I guess.

Rising Stars #16 - My god! Is this book finally back to an almost monthly schedule????

And the big unexpected release of the week:

Dork #9 - Who cares how long I have to wait? This is the most consistently funny book out there right now.

And from last week (Don't know how I missed these):

Murder Me Dead #7 A wonderful, twisting noir comic. The best book that no one else seems to be reading.

Planetary (I forget the issue number offhand) - I got this and the new "Transmetropolitan" in the same week. Probably the two best books currently being published by a major company.

So, any thoughts? Let's hear what everyone else picked up this week.

jim
Old 08-20-01, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I picked up The Flash: Iron Heights. I've been a big Flash fan since I tried it out during Zero Hour, when Mark Waid was at his peak on the title. Geoff Johns has definitely done a good job of reinvigorating the title and taking it in a new direction. It feels so much more gritty, realistic, and dangerous! People get injured and killed left and right. Anyway, I'm halfway through Iron Heights, and it just continues revamping the Rogues to fit in with the new gritty Keystone world that Johns has introduced us to. Although I'm not sure how much I like this overhaul so far, it certainly has kept me interested and coming back for more.

I also picked up Gotham Knights last week. The interactions between Bruce and Clark were pretty funny. I like how the little kid on the street in the background is the only one who noticed Superman fly into the phone booth and then come back out as Clark Kent. She's pointing at him, but no one is paying attention to her. But overall, I think I'm getting a little tired of this title. I think Devin Grayson has some interesting characterizations, but the title just isn't grabbing me these days. I enjoy the storylines in Detective much more, particularly the recent Sasha discovering Batman's identity.
Old 08-22-01, 06:10 PM
Cool New Member

Well, I'm game although Gamblor I really don't think there are as many comic fans on these boards as you think. Anyway I have friends that help run the great comic book store near me so it may seem like I'm rich with everything I get but I barely pay for the stuff. Unless you start a new thread for this weeks books, here is what I got.

New X-men #116 - Actually I got it last week, I've been reading/collecting the X-men for almost 20 years & this is flat out the best & most exciting this book has ever been. amazing stuff.

Rogue #1 - this book sucks.

Wildstorm: Summer Special - Picked this up for the Authority story.

Powers #13 - One of my 3 favorit books right now.

Sojourn #2 - Pretty cool new series.

Superman in Action Comics #782

the Agency #2

And Kingdom Come: Hardcover - Probably my all-time favorite comic books story & flat out without a doubt the greatest illustrated comic ever made. My store finally got in the hardover.
Old 08-22-01, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fooze
Well, I'm game although Gamblor I really don't think there are as many comic fans on these boards as you think.

I guess not. Some of the comics-related threads in this forum got enough responses to make me think that this thread was a good idea, but I guess there's just not enough interest.

It's been a busy week at work, so I haven't even gotten around to reading most of the titles I listed, yet. I guess I'll just have twice as much to read over the next week.

jim
Old 08-22-01, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Gamblor187
Some of the comics-related threads in this forum got enough responses to make me think that this thread was a good idea, but I guess there's just not enough interest.
I think there's just not much interest in the Book Forum.
Old 08-23-01, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I barely ever drift into the Book forum, but when I saw this, I had to post something

I read quite a few comics, but due to college starting this week, its going to be the middle of next week before I can get my books. I did, however, get to catch up on some stuff that I bought lately:

Iron Man: Mask in the Iron Man TPB - I'm a very casual Iron Man fan (I did start picking up the new arc where he battles the bomber, which is quite good), but I couldn't pass the TPB up, since I heard a lot of good stuff about it. Its a fun read and quite good. If you're a fan of Iron Man, definitely check it out.

Chasing Dogma TPB - Though I was a bit disappointed that it didn't tie into Chasing Amy or Dogma that much (the first 5 pages and last 5 pages, if that, tie into the movies), it is really funny stuff if you like Jay and Silent Bob (the original name of the series, btw). Kevin Smith spoofs all sorts of movies in the series, as Jay and Silent Bob try to get to Shermer, Ill. (the town in the Breakfast Club, Pretty in Pink, etc).

I'm going to start Fire (Brian Bendis) this weekend/next week.

Also, I've never been much of a DC fan, but with all the praise Iron Heights is getting, I'm going to give it a try (www.herorealm.com picked it as book of the week). Its a one-shot, right?
Old 08-23-01, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Comics are cool - I've collected for 35 years...
Old 08-23-01, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad to hear the new Dork has come out, I'm a huge fan of Evan Dorkin's stuff. Sadly I get my comics just once a month via mail order so I can't get in on the "what I bought this week" discussion but on the other hand one day a month I get to sink into total fanboy geek comic nirvana when my package arrives!
Old 08-24-01, 10:33 AM
Cool New Member

Originally posted by Liquid Death
I barely ever drift into the Book forum, but when I saw this, I had to post something

I'm going to start Fire (Brian Bendis) this weekend/next week.

Also, I've never been much of a DC fan, but with all the praise Iron Heights is getting, I'm going to give it a try (www.herorealm.com picked it as book of the week). Its a one-shot, right?
I just read Torso & it was amazing. I got Fire a couple of weeks ago but still haven't had a chance to read it, but from what I hear it's not nearly as good as Torso.

And yes Iron Heights is a one-shot.
Old 08-24-01, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are we gonna have a new thread for this week's comics purchases?
Old 08-24-01, 04:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by fooze

I just read Torso & it was amazing. I got Fire a couple of weeks ago but still haven't had a chance to read it, but from what I hear it's not nearly as good as Torso.

You heard right. I read "Fire" last night and was not very impressed. The story is predictable and it seems as if Bendis had not yet mastered his ear for dialogue. It's one of those things to pick up if you want to follow a writer's carrer and see his development over time, but it's of little interest other than that.

But what do I know? I was a bit disappointed by Bendis' highly acclaimed "Goldfish" series, too.

In good Bendis news, the latest issue of "Powers came out this week. Good stuff!

jim
Old 08-24-01, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Todd B.
Are we gonna have a new thread for this week's comics purchases?
Sure. Why not? I'll start one right now.

jim