Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What comics are your reading this month? (April '07)

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What comics are your reading this month? (April '07)

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-07, 06:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by davidh777
Looking to pick up New Frontier. It's only about $20 difference to pick up the Absolute compared to the two trades so I might go that way.
No doubt you've made up your mind to go this way, but highly recommend you go the Absolute route. The bigger art size really gives it an even grander scale. Not that the story needs improvement.

In case anybody here hasn't heard, DC is working on a direct-to-dvd line of animated movies. Unlike Marvel with Iron Man and The Ultimates, these will be adaptions of existing stories. "New Frontier" is one of those stories. They plan on retaining the retro art style as well.
Old 04-25-07, 09:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I was really excited about the WS relaunch. And boy did they miff it up. I'm surprised at how fast it all went to shit.
Old 04-25-07, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by boredsilly
I was really excited about the WS relaunch. And boy did they miff it up. I'm surprised at how fast it all went to shit.
Somehow I'm actually not that surprised. Once I saw the talent involved and saw that just about everyone on every book has a history of lateness, I figured it would only be a matter of time before the whole thing became a disaster.
Old 04-25-07, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts
Very light week for me this week.

I only bought Justice #11.
Old 04-26-07, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts
Originally Posted by Chew
No doubt you've made up your mind to go this way, but highly recommend you go the Absolute route. The bigger art size really gives it an even grander scale. Not that the story needs improvement.
Thanks, I went for the Absolute based on your comments and those of others in the past. Now to find the shelf space...

In case anybody here hasn't heard, DC is working on a direct-to-dvd line of animated movies. Unlike Marvel with Iron Man and The Ultimates, these will be adaptions of existing stories. "New Frontier" is one of those stories. They plan on retaining the retro art style as well.
Not so excited about Superman: Doomsday, but New Frontier, Judas Contract, and some others should be good. We'll see.
Old 04-26-07, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,881 Likes on 1,238 Posts
How frequently does it happen that a published comic has the same cover, same premise (I guess), but a completely different creative team than originally solicited? I don't usually notice it, at least, but it happened with this week's Supergirl and the Legion of Super-Heroes. I knew Waid and Kitson were leaving, but they're not even seeing the current arc through?
Old 04-26-07, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by slop101
Very light week for me this week.

I only bought Justice #11.
I thought this was the weakest issue so far. I know we've almost reached the climax of the story but the "big battle" just seemed so cliched. That and some of the plot was a little confusing to me. I guess i'm easily confused by most comics in general though.
Old 04-26-07, 09:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This Legion JSA/JLA story just completely lost me. I just don't care. So here's to waiting for the next arc of JSA.
Old 04-27-07, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I finally read The Mighty Avengers and man... when will Marvel learn that the more work they pile on Bendis, the more his writing really sucks?

I got about 4 or 5 pages into the 2nd issue (didn't read the first) and thought "did they get an elementary school kid to write this? What the hell is with this cheese dialogue? I closed the issue and went to put it back on the shelf and saw Bendis' name on the cover... damn, I knew his work was slipping, but I didn't think it had become this bad.
Old 04-27-07, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I happened to be looking at the Absolutes at Amazon and somebody is charging $1,000.00 for Absolute Planetary.
Old 04-27-07, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If they sell it, I'll list mine for $999!
Old 04-27-07, 05:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I happened to be looking at the Absolutes at Amazon and somebody is charging $1,000.00 for Absolute Planetary.
WTF? why? I see this all the time.
Old 04-30-07, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa - I wanted to thank you for the Wasteland recommendation. I picked up the book last week and I've been enjoying it. I'm only about 55 pages in but it's great so far.

The only other things I've picked up recently have been The Walking Dead #37, which I can't read yet since I somehow missed #36 and didn't realize it until last week. I ordered it online and should be getting it shortly. I also picked up issue 3 of War of the Undead. It's a good read if you're into schlocky sci-fi and classic monster movies. It's nothing too original (Nazis and the occult...sound familiar?) but it's fun nonetheless.