Marvel Theme Park

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-07, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Marvel Theme Park

Al Ahli Group signs Marvel deal to build $1b comic theme park in Dubai

By Shakir Husain, Staff Reporter

Dubai: UAE-based Al Ahli Group said it will build a $1-billion theme park in Dubai in a deal with Marvel Entertainment, the American company that licenses comic characters like Spiderman.

Al Ahli said the theme park, scheduled to open in 2011, will bring a new form of children-focused entertainment to the city that is spending billions of dollars on building a viable tourism industry.

"Family entertainment has not evolved with Dubai's growth. This project will address that need," chief executive officer Mohammad Khammas said. The UAE firm is the sole developer of the theme park.

Most ambitious

The government's most ambitious tourism and entertainment project is Dubailand.

It will have 12 entertainment parks, including one of the largest water parks in the world. The theme parks will include The Restless Planet, a dinosaur theme park being developed in cooperation with the UK's Natural History Museum.

Khammas did not say where his theme park would be located.

Al Ahli may create a separate entity that will develop the project and raise money through a listing on the Dubai International Financial Exchange (DIFX).

"We are considering it," Khammas told reporters yesterday after signing the licensing agreement with Marvel Studios' chairman David Maisel.

Marvel will make available its full range of characters, including Spider-Man, Iron Man, The X-Men, Incredible Hulk, The Fantastic Four and Silver Surfer.

The creative team developing the Dubai theme park will be based in Hollywood, Orlando and Dubai throughout the four-year development process.

http://www.gulf-news.com/business/In.../10112466.html
A Marvel theme park? If they want to remain true to the company each ride will have to be split up into at least six parts.
Old 03-20-07, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good thing there is nobody in the world starving right now.
Old 03-20-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 290 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan
A Marvel theme park? If they want to remain true to the company each ride will have to be split up into at least six parts.
And the seats on the roller coasters will have both soft and hardbacks.
Old 03-21-07, 01:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

wow what a bad investment, ah well at least its rich people getting screwed.

and is universal's marvel section completly gone now? I know they used to have one.
Old 03-21-07, 06:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fincher Fan

And it might take you a few years to finish those rides, too... scheduling problems, ya know.
Old 03-21-07, 07:39 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Theme parks are theme parks. Doesn't matter if their themed on European myths, Paramount movies, Looney Tunes, Sesame Street, DC Characters, or nothing at all. People will go.

(DC's been in the game for a while, Six Flags America has Superman, Batman, and Joker rides).
Old 03-21-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
As long as it's not like their Adventure theme park thing. I forget the exact name of it, but there's one in Niagara Falls, Canada.. and it was a COMPLETE waste of money and time.
Old 03-21-07, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
Universal Florida was still Marvel, at least as of last October...they had Cap, Spidey, the X-Men, and other characters, and rides based on Spidey, Hulk, and of course lots of stuff to buy. The Spider-man ride kicked ass, that's one of the best theme park rides I've been on.
The park wasn't *all* Marvel, but the Marvel part was pretty cool.
Old 03-21-07, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,931 Likes on 1,493 Posts
I seem to remember that Marvel also used to have some kind of restaurant, but I think that closed down a while ago. At least it's not opening a new theme park here, it seems like Six Flags are already suffering.
Old 03-21-07, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by dtcarson
Universal Florida was still Marvel, at least as of last October...they had Cap, Spidey, the X-Men, and other characters, and rides based on Spidey, Hulk, and of course lots of stuff to buy. The Spider-man ride kicked ass, that's one of the best theme park rides I've been on.
The park wasn't *all* Marvel, but the Marvel part was pretty cool.
This, however, is in Dubai which has been created as the ultimate tourist city in the UAE. I have a feeling it'll go the way of EuroDisney, however.
Old 03-21-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by fujishig
I seem to remember that Marvel also used to have some kind of restaurant, but I think that closed down a while ago. At least it's not opening a new theme park here, it seems like Six Flags are already suffering.
Yeah there was one at Universal Studios in Burbank. I think it was in the Citywalk area.
Old 03-21-07, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Yeah there was one at Universal Studios in Burbank. I think it was in the Citywalk area.

Yeah. Up by Universal Studios (Studio City).

The Hulk Burger was great!
Old 03-22-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by lukewarmwater
...and is universal's marvel section completly gone now? I know they used to have one.
It's still at Universal's Islands of Adventure. And I agree with the poster who commented on the Spider-Man ride. It was the best ride in any Universal or Disney park I visited.