Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Old 01-07-23, 07:52 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Five Below has a new section called Five Beyond where they sell stuff above $5. In that area I found this chase blacklight Galactus Funko Pop for $29.99. At one point, this chase figure was selling for over $100

Old 01-20-23, 11:38 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Amazon has this book on sale for 45% off

Amazon Amazon
Old 01-21-23, 02:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 580 Likes on 501 Posts

I remember buying those cards back in the day. I have no idea how Marvel duped me into buying comic book cards in the first place.
Old 01-21-23, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger View Post
I remember buying those cards back in the day. I have no idea how Marvel duped me into buying comic book cards in the first place.
They did have some nice art by Jim Lee. I find the card sets that featured a single artist (or duo) to be really nice collectibles.

The only Marvel card sets I have are X-Men I by Jim Lee, Marvel Masterpieces I by Joke Jusko, and Marvel Masterpieces III by the Hildebrandts. And I'm still kicking myself for not buying Series V (Boris & Julie) when I had the chance.

The following 2 users liked this post by Josh-da-man:
John Pannozzi (01-25-23), story (01-21-23)
Old 01-21-23, 11:29 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 506 Likes on 336 Posts

As a lifelong collector, I’ve dabbled in trading cards a few times. Hopefully I’m forever done with them now, but in the past, when the bug hit, it was all or nothing. Last time with cards was that boom around 1990, and I bought so much darn product. Probably have 15-20 banker’s boxes full of largely unopened packs and boxes, mostly baseball and comic cards.

It’s all worthless now, last I checked. Someday maybe I’ll go thru a box at a time, having fun sorting them and keeping a handful then gifting them all to a kid.
Old 01-21-23, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,240 Posts

Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
As a lifelong collector, Iíve dabbled in trading cards a few times. Hopefully Iím forever done with them now, but in the past, when the bug hit, it was all or nothing. Last time with cards was that boom around 1990, and I bought so much darn product. Probably have 15-20 bankerís boxes full of largely unopened packs and boxes, mostly baseball and comic cards.

Itís all worthless now, last I checked. Someday maybe Iíll go thru a box at a time, having fun sorting them and keeping a handful then gifting them all to a kid.
You might want to do some research on what you have.

Recently, there's been a huge uptick in interest in sports cards. Certain cards and unopened boxes can be quite valuable.

I don't think non-sports cards have had the same kind of renaissance, but I've noticed that they've crept up in price on eBay. I went on a buying binge about ten years ago, buying up a lot of complete sets/chase cards of sets I always wanted but didn't have the money to buy back when I was in high school and college, and complete sets of fantasy art cards (Boris, Olivia, Frazetta, Jeff Jones, etc) and their chase cards could be purchased dirt cheap. The prices on those have gone up some in the past couple of years, but not astronomically.

One set, the 1996 Marvel Masterpieces V with art by Boris and Julie that I mentioned in my post above, is crazy valuable. A complete set of base cards sells for thousands of dollars.
Old 01-21-23, 05:12 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 506 Likes on 336 Posts

Thanks Josh, I’ll definitely check values before opening anything. Of course, it’s very likely they stay in storage a few more decades and my widow gets to deal with them.