Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-14, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Comic Book Bargains & Hot Deals

That's a good price for a great collection that has real appeal to fans around my age (decrepit). My brother and I loved MTU back in the day - get all the Spider-Man action you want plus a guest star, and you don't have to worry about keeping up with the ongoing soap opera.
Old 12-02-14, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by Preterite
That's a good price for a great collection that has real appeal to fans around my age (decrepit). My brother and I loved MTU back in the day - get all the Spider-Man action you want plus a guest star, and you don't have to worry about keeping up with the ongoing soap opera.
I think Kirkman tried to resurrect that concept a few years ago but (like unfortunately most of his Marvel stuff) it didn't take.
Old 12-02-14, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 812 Likes on 686 Posts

It's a concept that works better in theory than practice, because invariably the writer usually bends over backwards to honor both characters in a team-up. My dream team-up is a 12-issue maxi-series with Superman and Batman, showing how little Batman really brings to the table in that team.
Old 12-02-14, 09:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I think Kirkman tried to resurrect that concept a few years ago but (like unfortunately most of his Marvel stuff) it didn't take.
He did. I have the TPBs. The first two trades were fun and had a good amount of humor. (I still refer to a flying hero carrying a non flying one as "armpitting.") The third trade (League Of Losers) was an amusing concept with mediocre execution and the fourth trade was a rushed wrap up of the overall story arc before cancellation.

The third trade also included the completely forgettable Spider-Man/Invincible Team Up.

I believe the trades are out of print.
Old 12-03-14, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,944 Likes on 1,505 Posts

Originally Posted by PhantomStranger
It's a concept that works better in theory than practice, because invariably the writer usually bends over backwards to honor both characters in a team-up. My dream team-up is a 12-issue maxi-series with Superman and Batman, showing how little Batman really brings to the table in that team.
I think part of the problem is that the novelty is gone. Spider-man teams up with heroes on a regular basis, and has been a member of the Avengers and the Fantastic Four at the same time. Plus, there are so many continuity die hards that a comic that doesn't play into that usually gets lost on the shelf.

I'm fine with both characters getting equal time, as long as the writer has a good handle on the character.
Old 12-03-14, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,023 Likes on 844 Posts

When I was a kid, the three floppies I subscribed to (they came in brown paper sleeves, and for the first few years the issues were actually FOLDED IN HALF ) were The Brave and the Bold, Marvel Team-Up, and Marvel Two-in-One. Yes, all team-up books. Of them all, Batman was the most fish-out-of-water, with most issues (this was the Bob Haney-Jim Aparo era) centering on the guest star and having Batman along for the ride, especially when the guest was more out there like Sgt. Rock or Kamandi.

The Claremont-Byrne era doesn't sound too far off from when I was reading, but I just checked the Essential Team-Up #3, and I definitely remember issues 57 and 58, but not 59 or thereafter. I wonder if I just happened to stop reading right at that time. They look good, though, so I might read through some of that Essential volume.
Old 12-06-14, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Spider-Man Marvel Team-Up by Claremont & Byrne

http://amzn.com/0785158669

$9.75 shipped via Prime in new condition, from a very reliable third party seller in Little Big Smiles.

Chris Claremont and John Byrne take the helm of MARVEL TEAM-UP - and deliver some of the most entertaining, edge-of-your-seat pairings yet! Featuring Spider-Man, the Human Torch, Ms. Marvel, Iron Fist, Captain Britain, Thor, Power Man, Havok and more - against the threats of Equinox, the Super-Skrull, the Steel Serpent, Arcade, Kraven, D'Spayre and the Living Monolith! Collecting MARVEL TEAM-UP (1972) #59-70 and #75. 240 pages
This arrived from Amazon in flawless new condition, my copy did not have a remainder mark. They've bumped the price up to $11.

Astro City: The Dark Age Book II hardcover for $8.79 shipped by Prime fulfillment. From Little Big Smiles once again for a new copy.

http://amzn.com/1401228437

Great price, but Book I of this arc is out of print in both hardcover and trade form. I don't think one can find it cheaper.
Old 12-06-14, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Thanks, I've been trying to fill in my AC collection, but now I need to find Dark Ages 1
Old 12-12-14, 12:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

The Astro City hardcover linked above is back to $8.79 via Prime fulfillment.

Amazon is at again with a 25% off coupon good for any book. The code is BOOKDEAL25. This time the deals aren't quite as hot when you figure in state taxes, but there are still some very good comic book deals around.

Terms & Conditions
▪ To use this promotion, you must enter "BOOKDEAL25" at checkout under the "Gift cards & promotional codes" section to receive 25% off any ONE (1) book purchased in your order (up to $10 promotional credit).

▪ This offer is only valid on print books. Excludes Kindle eBooks and Audible Audiobooks.

▪ The promotion is valid for a limited time only, from December 11, 2014 at 5pm PST to December 14, 2014 at 11:59pm PST. Amazon reserves the right to modify or cancel this offer at any time.

▪ Offer only applies to products sold and shipped by Amazon.com.

▪ Limit one promotional code per customer and account.

▪ The maximum benefit you may receive from this offer is $10.
Old 12-16-14, 01:01 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts

Amazon extended that 25% off coupon until today.
Old 12-16-14, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hero

While not as good as the 30% off deal, the 25% off Amazon coupon enables great pricing on the newer deluxe Valiant hardcovers. Compare at IST if you like.
Old 12-16-14, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Damn, I just bought the first Don Rosa volume for gift shipping out of state and didn't even consider the coupon because I thought it had expired.
Old 12-16-14, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

This arrived from Amazon in flawless new condition, my copy did not have a remainder mark. They've bumped the price up to $11.

Astro City: The Dark Age Book II hardcover for $8.79 shipped by Prime fulfillment. From Little Big Smiles once again for a new copy.

http://amzn.com/1401228437

Great price, but Book I of this arc is out of print in both hardcover and trade form. I don't think one can find it cheaper.
I tweeted at Kurt Busiek, asking if there was a new printing of The Dark Age Book I coming, giving the insane pricing it's going for. He said yes, and then yesterday it was in the latest DC solicits.
Old 12-16-14, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by davidh777
Damn, I just bought the first Don Rosa volume for gift shipping out of state and didn't even consider the coupon because I thought it had expired.
I tried to buy it yesterday hoping they extended the coupon. No joy. Wake up today and see that they later did extend it.

And if the gift was for me, try to cancel the order, as I just bought it!
Old 12-16-14, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Another DC sale going at IST. Looks like familiar stuff.
Old 12-16-14, 03:13 PM

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I tweeted at Kurt Busiek, asking if there was a new printing of The Dark Age Book I coming, giving the insane pricing it's going for. He said yes, and then yesterday it was in the latest DC solicits.
Nice. I was holding off on book two despite the irrestistable price, but just bought.
Old 12-16-14, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Trevor
I tried to buy it yesterday hoping they extended the coupon. No joy. Wake up today and see that they later did extend it.

And if the gift was for me, try to cancel the order, as I just bought it!
Damn it, I should know better than to post that in a public forum. As Jennifer Garner would say, "What am I gonna get you now?"
Old 12-17-14, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by davidh777
Another DC sale going at IST. Looks like familiar stuff.
It's a surprisingly weak sale, as most of it is older stock that has been remaindered or put on clearance at other places. There are some great deals, including the Silver Age Flash Omnibus at 50% off. There is also the Brightest Day Omnibus at $37.

The 50 books for Free Comic Book Day 2015 have been announced:

http://www.freecomicbookday.com/Home/1/1/27/981

Last edited by PhantomStranger; 12-17-14 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-20-14, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Another pretty great Amazon Prime seller's pricing...Avengers: The Once and Future Kang trade for $9.99 shipped. Don't let the low feedback score fool you on the seller, I ordered a copy and it arrived in perfect condition besides a tiny marker dot on the top edge.

http://amzn.com/0785167293

Avengers (1963) #262-269, Avengers Annual (1967) #15, and West Coast Avengers Annual #1 -- written by Roger Stern, Jim Shooter, Danny Fingeroth and Steve Englehart; and illustrated by John Buscema, Steve Ditko and Mark Bright. This is a primo Avengers' tale featuring one of their greatest foes, Kang the Conqueror.
Old 12-25-14, 04:34 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

InStockTrades has 45% off all Marvel & DC titles again, along with up to 70% off over 400 Marvel titles. And their up to 70% off over 250 DC titles is still going.

I went ahead and ordered a few that I'd been putting off forever like Power Pack classic at 50% off, and Rucka's Punisher HC #1 which looks to be oop. Cheapest sellers on Amazon have it new for $30 HC and $41 TPB, so $10 at IST seemed pretty good comparatively.
Old 12-27-14, 12:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Strapped4Cash
Rucka's Punisher HC #1 which looks to be oop. Cheapest sellers on Amazon have it new for $30 HC and $41 TPB, so $10 at IST seemed pretty good comparatively.
But the other three volumes of Rucka's run only came out in TPB, so if you have format-OCD you'll be disappointed when you collect them all.
Old 12-27-14, 08:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Good news for me is that I love all these sales on Omnibus's and Absolute Editions, but the wallet is definitely hurting afterwards. Used to shop at cheapgraphicnovels, but it seems like IST has better prices in general during sales.
Old 12-27-14, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by kodave
But the other three volumes of Rucka's run only came out in TPB, so if you have format-OCD you'll be disappointed when you collect them all.
Thanks, I actually would prefer collecting them all in the same format but I'm not as bothered by the difference between standard sized Tpbs and HC's as I would be between some other formats (such as an Absolute vs. a trade, for example). Considering that I'm late to the party, and the prices involved, then I'll be satisfied with 1 HC and the rest tpb's if I enjoy it enough to continue. I guess I can impose at least a bit of sense into my format-OCD.
Old 12-27-14, 08:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Hadrian7
Good news for me is that I love all these sales on Omnibus's and Absolute Editions, but the wallet is definitely hurting afterwards. Used to shop at cheapgraphicnovels, but it seems like IST has better prices in general during sales.
Yeah, I definitely like buying these (whether the Omnibi or Absolute's or even a bunch of less expensive stuff that adds up), but also put too much off and then am taken by surprise when it goes oop. It looks like that happened already with the Annihilation Omnibus, which only came out in May.

I've spent a lot at cheapgraphicnovels' physical location (Pulp Fiction) this year, but IST does seem to have slightly better prices, which get even better with the occasional sales, the extra 2%, and the fact that they don't withhold taxes (in my state at least).
Old 12-30-14, 08:40 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 149 Likes on 103 Posts

How often does B&N have a Marvel B2G1? I want to get the X-Men Epic that comes out on Jan 6, but the B2G1 only goes through Jan 8, and I doubt there will be any coupons active in that time

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.