Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Have you had a letter printed in a comic?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-07, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have you ever wrote to a comic book (or comic related publication) and had your letter printed in the letter column? I realize there are not all that many books who still have a letter column, but it used to be a standard feature.

I haven't really sent many over the years, but I did show up in an early issue of Toyfare once.
Old 01-16-07, 11:23 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a letter printed in an issue of a DC Star Trek comic back when I was in college. I met some friends at a bar and greeted them with "I've been published!". Needless to say we all laughed when I told them what it really was.

I think I've wrote a grand total of two letters in my 20+ years of reading, so I have a good print average.
Old 01-16-07, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
My letters were printed in KA-ZAR, JUSTICE LEAGUE, and SPIDER-MAN - I think - back when I was a kid.

They were your typical, goofy, "loved the way Green Lantern bopped Mucous Man in the snout!" type comments. Back in the day, it was far easier getting letters printed in unpopular, low sales issues than in other titles.
Old 01-16-07, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 598 Likes on 346 Posts
Didn't have it printed (and that wasn't really the intent) but I did write to DC waaaay back in the very late 60s - I think it had to do with releasing Superman issues out of sequence or something (one was an 80 Page Giant, usually released in the same month as the regular issue). They sent me back a postcard explaining something about distribution that my young, anal-retentive mind fully rejected. Knowing me, I still have that card somewhere.
Old 01-16-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to write quite a bit back in the early eighties and had quite a few published, in a wide variety of titles. It lost its lustre after awhile, especially when the occasional creator liked to hack up the letter to change its meaning in order to step up on a soapbox.
Old 01-16-07, 02:14 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 676 Likes on 452 Posts
I think I had a letter printed in The Micronauts, but I can't recall the details.
Old 01-16-07, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had a few published in DC comics - I remember one from Infinity Inc. after Brainwave wiped Lyta Trevor's mind.

I've had more success with smaller press comics - like Bone or Akiko.

I also had a story published in Akiko - so I guess that's like a BIG letter...
Old 01-16-07, 06:28 PM
Banned

Fantastic Four (Byrne's run, I think), Silver Surfer (Vol. 2), Amazing Spider-Man, Toyfare...more, but I can't recall right this sec.
Old 01-16-07, 08:39 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I had one printed in Marvel's G.I. Joe back in the 80s.
Old 01-16-07, 08:50 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Jason Pell actually e-mailed me to ask me for permission to print the post I made on here back when I just randomly picked up issue one of Zombie Highway. He wound up not printing it because his publisher told him not to. I think he was planning on having some humor at my expense. Wound up corresponding through e-mail a little bit about the comic. Pretty decent guy. Wow, that went off topic.
Old 01-16-07, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 82 Likes on 70 Posts
My name was printed in the mag as the winner of a PSM contest a couple years back, and way back when Marvel started the New Universe, my New U slogan contest entry was printed [along with lots of others] in 4 of the New U books.
I don't think I ever really wrote letters to the editor or whatever. I did enjoy reading them sometimes, but damn, I got sick of seeing TM Maple.
Old 01-16-07, 09:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
I had quite a few published back in my teenage years. Mainly Marvel titles from the early 90s...Punisher War Journal, Nomad etc. The one that made the happiest at the time was one that was printed in Sam Kieth's The Maxx issue number 1.
Old 01-16-07, 09:32 PM

TM Maple Off to google him (?) now.
Old 01-16-07, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
True story... I've written about a dozen letters to comics and magazines and had everyone printed. I had a letter printed in Flash about Travis Charest's artwork on a Flash Annual, his first professional artwork. I've also had a letter printed in Strangers in Paradise, Uncanny X-Men, Amazing Spider-Man, Robin, and a couple of others.

No Uncle Elvis, but I'm batting 1000 percent damn it!
Old 01-17-07, 12:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got a letter printed in issue 3 or 4 of the McFarlane SPIDER-MAN. I just wanted to see my name in a letters column of a comic I was collecting so I wrote some kiss ass stuff ("wow, love the art, story, McFarlane is cool"...etc etc) and they printed it.

Before that, I wrote to the late, great COMICS SCENE magazine letters pages in response to some guy in Maine who wrote something I disagreed with. He wrote back to me and we became pen pals. This was before the internet.

I also had my name and address published in MARVEL AGE's pen pal column. Had a few correspondences with fellow collectors from all over the world but the longest lasting was with a guy in London, Ontario.

This reminds me of something. Back in the 80s-90s, the letter column (usually DC's) always printed a letter from some guy calling himself, "Uncle Elvis". His letters were very articulate and it wasn't the usual Comic Book Guy stuff. I also knew that I was reading the right books 'cause most of them had letters from Uncle Elvis. If he writes to that book, then it must be a good book.

Good times. Good times.
Old 01-17-07, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Trevor
TM Maple Off to google him (?) now.
The only thing that stopped his letter writing was a premature death, IIRC.
Old 01-17-07, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

For people who have had letters published, do any of the companies ever notify you that a letter will be published, or do you have to just keep reading the title looking for it?
Old 01-17-07, 11:48 AM

Received 1,899 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardW
I had one printed in Marvel's G.I. Joe back in the 80s.
Which issue? I have most of them sitting in a box on the shelf four feet away. I remember a girl named Nikki Hollingsworth wrote in saying there should be some sort of letter column "Who is your favorite Joe?" thing and tons of people kept writing about that, all quoting her. That was back in '85-86 when I had a subscription - pretty much every letter column at that time mentioned her and her idea.
Old 01-17-07, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I figured the best way to get published was to write to the comic with the longest letter column - Savage Dragon. I also had a letter published in Green Arrow (The Mike Grell years).
The letter writers I always remember were TM Maple and Augie DeBlieck. Interestingly, Augie became a columnist in CBR and he had one column where he talked about letter writing proficiency and corresponding with TM Maple. IIRC, TM Maple was a pseudo name (Maple was the name of the street he lived in or something like that), and as Patman mentioned TM Maple died in the early/mid nineties.
Old 01-17-07, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by dogmatica
Which issue? I have most of them sitting in a box on the shelf four feet away.
I wish I could remember. I just looked at the covers at mycomicshop.com, but that particular issue didn't jump out at me.

Originally Posted by dtcarson
I don't think I ever really wrote letters to the editor or whatever. I did enjoy reading them sometimes, but damn, I got sick of seeing TM Maple.
Damn, there's a name from the past! I'd forgotten all about that guy.
Old 01-17-07, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i wrote a letter the archie version of teenage mutant ninja turtles as a kid. It didn't get published but i got a really nice hand printed post card from one of the writers answering my questions. I need to find that.
Old 01-18-07, 07:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts
Originally Posted by Peep
For people who have had letters published, do any of the companies ever notify you that a letter will be published, or do you have to just keep reading the title looking for it?
I never found out until I bought the issue it was printed in.
Old 01-18-07, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by Patman
The only thing that stopped his letter writing was a premature death, IIRC.
Yep, he died from a heart attack. Had over 3000 letters published between 1977 and 1994, and revealed his true name in Zot #21, one of my favorite titles.
Old 01-18-07, 08:03 AM

Slightly similar subject, but anyone remember Cracked magazine?

I was a subscriber back in the late 70s. They used to do this thing in the subscription ads inside the magazine, where they would put names of subscribers in tiny print as part of the art for the ad. I found my name once, and that is the only issue that I saved.
Old 01-18-07, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,724 Likes on 1,880 Posts
God help me... yes, I have.

Thankfully it wasn't too embarassing, and I cringe whenever I see my letter on that letterpage.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.