Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Marvel's Civil War

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-07, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am really looking forward to World War Hulk, but there is NO chance I will be buying everything tied into it. Probably just the main Hulk title (which I already buy)...maybe the WWH mini-series. I almost wish they would bring back the annuals and keep these crossovers contained within them, like the old Evolutionary War or Atlantis Attacks.
Old 01-08-07, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by stingermck
Reading on Wikipedia I ran across this. I knew it was coming, but I thought it was localized to Hulk's title:

Marvel Editor-in-Chief Joe Quesada announced in 2006 that beginning with May 2007 comics, the Hulk will be the focus of the Marvel crossover event World War Hulk.

So just in time after the end of Civil War. But may be worth it to see Hulk kick the shit out of everyone when he returns.
I just finished reading about six issues of Hulk this weekend (as a general rule, I only get extra time to read my comics twice a year!). After reading the story about the genius kid and Reed Richards in Hulk 100, I wondered if the Hulk returning to earth would be the focus of the next really big crossover. Kinda seems to borrow a bit too much from the Ultimate Universe in my mind.
Old 01-08-07, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts
Originally Posted by dadaluholla
I almost wish they would bring back the annuals and keep these crossovers contained within them, like the old Evolutionary War or Atlantis Attacks.
Oh yes, I remember those days. Im glad to see Annuals making a small comeback at least. Those use to have some really great stories in them.
Old 01-08-07, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by madcougar
Kinda seems to borrow a bit too much from the Ultimate Universe in my mind.
The 616 has been cribbing off of the Ultimate Universe on a few other things as well. Look at Captain America. He is a total badass right now and I think that is because some of the Ultimates Cap's sensibilities have been grafted onto the 616 version. Even the New Avengers as a whole, seemed to be an answer to the Ultimates after a fashion.

I am looking forward to WWH. The premise, much like Civil War, has my interest - I just hope they can deliver this time. I wonder how wide of a x-over is this going to be though. This doesn't seem like it's going to need to touch every book, and I thought Marvel said they're scaling back on x-overs for a while. Choosing to cross over only a few titles and not line wide so much.
Old 01-10-07, 09:49 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IMO the Civil War story is losing alot of steam. The delays don't help it at all and this last issue #6 was less than stellar. Personally I will be thrilled when it is over...
Old 01-12-07, 11:00 AM

I can't imagine the actual book being better than this...

Civil War Parody
Old 01-12-07, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Shiv Shankly

Civil War Parody

"Is that Wakandan for 'hoo-yeah lets kick some ass'? Cause it better be."
Old 01-12-07, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Civil War Parody
I actually did like the parody better than the actual CW comic. Civil War just seems like the unofficial version of Ultimates Volume 3. The series started off good, but has quickly spiralled into a clone of The Ultimates. I do not have very high hopes for the final issue at all.

I may just pass on World War Hulk altogether. I was psyched up for it when it was announced, but Planet Hulk has just been rather blah the past few months. I'll be surprised if the next, and, I believe, final issue turns out to be good.
Old 01-12-07, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Sorry if it's been brought up elsewhere but, for me, the worst part of this Civil War is Iron Man gaining Spider-Sense. This just pisses me off the most. Does it bother anyone else as much as it does me?
Old 01-12-07, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 604 Likes on 349 Posts

Civil War Parody
That was excellent!
Old 02-02-07, 01:19 PM

Marvel is really starting to show now that they cannot compete with DC. Everything from the writing to the slow production speaks volumes.
Old 02-02-07, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,938 Likes on 1,499 Posts
Originally Posted by Bronkster
That was excellent!
I agree... and I haven't even been reading the book, so I'm sure a lot of those references flew way over my head...
Old 02-02-07, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GearsWar666
Marvel is really starting to show now that they cannot compete with DC. Everything from the writing to the slow production speaks volumes.
I was going to jump on this pretty harshly, as I love both companies, but DC's flagship titles have been great lately. Civil War and all the tie ins have been extremely weak.
Old 02-02-07, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Hey, there's room for criticism all around. Supergirl, anyone?
Old 02-02-07, 04:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
Hey, there's room for criticism all around. Supergirl, anyone?
True, i'll admit that. So has Flash since the unnecessarily bad relaunch. Actually, Flash has been an extremely weak title since Johns left. However, while DC is quick to shuffle around writers off a bad book - and desperately try to keep a good book with bad sales afloat - there's just too much entrenched bad writing at Marvel. I mean look at how bad the audience reacted to Chuck Austen on Uncanny X-men, yet there was no change in his direction or an editorial shuffle for nearly 3 years. I mean sales of Supergirl have hardly slowed down but bad critical and fan reaction led to a major change in storyline direction. The same goes for Flash. Marvel really needs to clean house. There hasn't been a collectively good X-empire for years, the Spider-man titles have gotten wildly out of focus with each other, Captain America has been turned into Batman, and the Avengers is written by a fan-boy.
Old 02-02-07, 11:41 PM

I honestly think that Civil War may be the biggest letdown in the last 5 years...
Old 02-03-07, 04:40 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by GearsWar666
I honestly think that Civil War may be the biggest letdown in the last 5 years...
*cough*All-Star Batman*cough*
Old 02-06-07, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Trade Paperback?

Anyone know when this goes to trade paperback format?

Thanks.
Old 02-06-07, 02:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts
March 28th.
Old 02-06-07, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
If anyone cares, Dexter Vines finished inking the last page last week. Dex was at a 1-day comic convention (with a nice portfolio of McNiven and McGuiness that I would have killed for if I could get away with it) doing signings and selling some pages. So hopefully we'll see the extra-sized 7th issue out at the end of February.
Old 02-06-07, 03:51 PM
DVD Talk Hero

So which trades are must reads? I'm getting the regular Civil War trade, New avengers, and Runaways/Young Avengers, but anything else? From reading what other people have been saying as it comes out, a lot of the stories are pretty redundant...
Old 02-21-07, 11:10 AM

I just finished Civil War # 7. What a colossal waste of time. Oh man that sucked.
Old 02-21-07, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fujishig
So which trades are must reads? I'm getting the regular Civil War trade, New avengers, and Runaways/Young Avengers, but anything else? From reading what other people have been saying as it comes out, a lot of the stories are pretty redundant...
I haven't read them, but the books that everyone said tied closest to the story were Fantastic Four, The Spidey books, New Avengers, and Wolverine.
Old 02-21-07, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just read some spoilers. Guess I can save a trip to the LCS. What a frakin waste, and an ending I cant agree with. I dropped several of my Marvel books during this CW fiasco cause of all the cross-overs. Now I don't have to worry about re starting them.
Old 02-21-07, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
What a pile of crap this series was. Reading it in single issues I'd thought it was better than it was, but reading it all in one go all the huge plot holes, inconsistent characters and Millar's typical "kewl" over intelligent writing is just awful. And it DOESN'T EVEN END, just sets up the freaking inevitable sequel cross-over six months down the road. Suck.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.