Reload this Page >

Comic book thread for March

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic book thread for March

Old 03-03-06, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
I noticed Mail Order Comics was 1.50 an issue of 52 compared to DCBS's 1.25. I doubt DCBS will keep 52 permanently 50% off but it would be nice.
Mail Order Comics (mailordercomics.com) has 52 week 1 for 62 cents (limit 2). It's in the Specials section under 75% off. 2 through 4 are 1.50. Obviously would have preferred 1.25 for the duration but...
Old 03-03-06, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
They both have the 1st issue for .62. Now what if they did that every couple of months with one of the issues! Maybe every 10th issue or if something major happens!
Old 03-03-06, 11:39 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 47 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by MBoyd
They both have the 1st issue for .62. Now what if they did that every couple of months with one of the issues! Maybe every 10th issue or if something major happens!
I'm up for the first issue of each order period!
Old 03-03-06, 11:52 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For whatever reason, I never bothered checking out Mail Order Comics. They seem to have some nice prices.
Old 03-03-06, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I priced them and it was $3 more for me at MOC, but I think their shipping is less than DCBS. I just personally prefer DCBS's interface.
Old 03-03-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
How much is DCBS shipping? I always order from MOC, but lately the shipping rates have been increasing...

Ah, who am I kidding, as long as they're in the ballpark I'll stay with MOC, since I've had nothing but excellent service from them for the past 6 years or so. But I am curious.

My big box of last month's stuff came today, so I look forward to talking about month-old books with all the monthly shipment latecomers...
Old 03-03-06, 09:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,062 Likes on 643 Posts
Not to throw the thread completely off but I have made a (very) slow journey back into comics after a 15 year absence. I sold off most of my collection when I was 16 or 17 (a dumbass thing to do) and quit collecting completely when I went to college back in 1991.

So from 1991 to the present, I truly have no clue what to go back & read. From the few people I know who barely keep up with comics have all suggested the Preacher & Sandman series. I have been on Ebay and have found that you can buy older comics for practically nothing now. Seems the widespread availability on Ebay has killed the values which is bad for collectors but good for me.

I was thinking about getting a couple of current subscriptions but was curious what is worth picking up. I was always a Batman and Spider-man fan from way back (cliche but really, who isn't).

So...my questions are...what current books might be worth a subscription or what previous books (series or TPBs) are worth checking out? I know there is a 15 year spread but just tell me a few of the best. I picked up a complete set of the 9 TPBs of Preacher for 60 bucks (bought those blind) and got Sandman's first three TPBs for 15 bucks (blind as well). I also am going back and getting some of the comics that I loved as a kid but got rid of for gas money & girls at 16.

And what does DCBS stand for?
Old 03-03-06, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my favorite GN e-tailer has just done a revamp of their site and have some deals to go along with it as well

http://talesofwonder.com/

Dear Tales of Wonder customer,
By choosing to shop with TalesOfWonder.com, you've made us the leader in graphic novel and collected edition sales. We want to show our appreciation by providing you with a website that has enhanced features which will provide a better shopping experience. The new web site will also enable us to continue to bring our customers the same high level of service and quality. Below, we outline many of these features to help you with your transition to our new website. There is also a special $5 off offer at the end of this email.

Our new web site offers many benefits to our customers. Some of those benefits are:

Free Shipping

TalesOfWonder.com now offers free shipping on in-stock orders above $99 on eligible items (statues, busts and merchandise excluded). Pre-orders may be grouped with other pre-orders or in-stock items to qualify for free shipping.

Reduced Shipping Fees

For those orders that do not meet our free shipping threshold, we have reduced our standard shipping rates. Our new per order shipping rate has been reduced to $1.99 from $2.99. Our per item shipping fees remain unchanged at $0.79 per book, $3.99 per bust, $7.49 per statue and $12.00 per oversized statue.

No More Pre-Billing

All orders will now be billed when shipped. We will no longer charge customer credit cards for advance orders when the order is placed. Pre-orders will now be billed when the item is in-stock and is ready to ship.

Wish Lists

Customer wish lists are now available. Our wish list feature will save items for future purchase indefinitely.

Gift Certificates

They’re for birthdays, Valentine’s Day, Christmas, whenever! TalesOfWonder.com gift certificates are now available for any occasion for any dollar amount. The recipient needs only an email account to receive our gift certificates.

More Robust Profiles

Customers can now more effectively manage their personal information in “My Account,” including viewing the status and tracking information for all orders. As always, TalesOfWonder.com does not share, rent or sell our customer’s personal information.

Implementation For Current Customers

Profiles

You will need to create a new profile/account while placing your first order on our new website even if you have a profile/account established on our current website. While placing your first order on Tales of Wonder 2.0 the website will help you in establishing an account during checkout. See the offer below to learn how you can save $5 on your first order with your new account profile.

Advance Orders

If you have unshipped Advance Orders through our current website you will not be able to view them in your new account on our new website. You will only be able to view orders placed on the new website in your new account. We will continue to send you a balance notification email for all orders placed on the current site prior to shipping. If at any time you would like to view a current list of Advance Orders placed on our current site you may email us at [email protected]

SAVE $5!

Want to save $5 on your next TalesOfWonder.com order? It’s easy. Simply create a new TalesOfWonder.com account by March 30 and you will save $5 on your next order of $50 or more. Combine the savings with our new free shipping offer and save even more. NOTE: Past TalesOfWonder.com customers are eligible for the $5 off offer when signing up for a new TalesOfWonder.com account as account profiles have not been transferred to the new web site. During checkout enter coupon code “service” (case sensitive) to receive your discount.

Thank you,

Tales of Wonder
Old 03-03-06, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
So...my questions are...what current books might be worth a subscription or what previous books (series or TPBs) are worth checking out? I know there is a 15 year spread but just tell me a few of the best. I picked up a complete set of the 9 TPBs of Preacher for 60 bucks (bought those blind) and got Sandman's first three TPBs for 15 bucks (blind as well). I also am going back and getting some of the comics that I loved as a kid but got rid of for gas money & girls at 16.

And what does DCBS stand for?
For some reason I have really enjoyed the JSA TPBs. I could also recommend the recent batman.
DCBS= Discount Comic Book Service. A popular online comic store for the people here.
Old 03-04-06, 02:48 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts
Supergirl #5 ...
Old 03-04-06, 02:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

DCBS hasn't told me what I'm supposed to do with this other person's order that I got so I'm thinking free comics!!

Last edited by Graftenberg; 03-04-06 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-04-06, 10:56 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

brianluvdvd, I highly recommend Ultimate Spider-Man. The Ultimate line is it's own continuity that started like 6 years ago. I go back and forth on how I feel about the other Ultimate titles, but USM has been possibly the best ongoing superhero comic I've ever read. Here's a good deal on the first 3 hardcovers: http://talesofwonder.com/product-exe.../34/sc/1,21,34

These threads are a little old now, but bishop2knight links to some of our past recommendation threads here: http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=346660
Old 03-05-06, 07:08 AM

Does anyone know when the next Ultimate FF hard cover will be released? I can't find any info on it.
Old 03-05-06, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nny, any idea how long that USM sale is going on? What a great price. I might have to jump on that.
Old 03-05-06, 07:52 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Ok ok, I'll talk Marv-El...Sorry, I had to throw in that Superman(Kal-El) reference to represent for DC.

I was at a store Saturday and they were playing that new Avengers animated dvd on a Widescreen tv. To be honest the movie looks kick ass. I don't know why people are so hard on it. The animation was decent and the characters looked great. Granted, I'm not "emotionally connected" to these characters like you blokes here on dvdtalk and by that I mean I'm not gonna freak out if Thor doesn't have his Helm and silly cape.

Anyway, I was watching a scene were The Hulk was opening a "can o whup ass" on the gang and I couldn't pull away from the tv. I mean shit, the Hulk jumps up, and chokes Giant Man and takes him down. COMEDY GOLD!!

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-05-06 at 07:54 AM.
Old 03-05-06, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That Hulk scene was great. I loved it. Too bad it was the only part of the movie that really worked.
Old 03-05-06, 04:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Ok ok, I'll talk Marv-El...Sorry, I had to throw in that Superman(Kal-El) reference to represent for DC.
Thats nearly a Marvel reference(Mar-Vell):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...(Marvel_Comics)

You guys finally did it to me. More than a year without buying a current issue and you drove me into the store for Marvel Zombies. I walked out with five comics. Well, the downward spiral starts.
Old 03-06-06, 06:38 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm liking the fact that Marvel is getting into the direct to DVD animated movie game, but wish they'd put a little more effort into the script and animation. Both needed work.
Old 03-06-06, 08:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by exharrison
Thats nearly a Marvel reference(Mar-Vell):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain...(Marvel_Comics)
yeah I remembered that some Marvel character had that name but I figured most would think of Superman 1st.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 03-06-06 at 08:12 AM.
Old 03-06-06, 08:51 AM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
nny, any idea how long that USM sale is going on? What a great price. I might have to jump on that.
Indefinitely. They did it in response to the Barnes & Noble Ultimate Spider-Man omnibus hardcover that collects all the same issues that are in those volumes. That came out a few years ago and Tales of Wonder has had that deal ever since.
Old 03-06-06, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Thanks Jason. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get some cash. I really enjoy USM, so this would be a great way to get the early books.

I'm still debating the whole 52 thing. Is this series supposed to clear up everything that happens in the one year after Crisis? Or will most of the truth come out in the regular titles?
Old 03-06-06, 11:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,927 Likes on 1,490 Posts
Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Supergirl #5 ...
Yeah, what the heck was that about? I accidentally started reading 5 before 4 (both came in my monthly package)... then went back to read 4 only to find that it was completely unnecessary.

Let's see... I'm so jealous of my brother that I'll have my daughter kill his son, even if they're the last two Kryptonians alive? Great way to shoehorn Batman in there to get the trinity in the book. Glad the magic lasso trick worked. And isn't the Martian Manhunter supposed to be stronger than Superman if there's no fire around? I remember Jurgens pounding that into us when he worked on JLA. I feel dumber for having picked up this book, and dumber still for picking up the next one, hoping the OYL storyline and change of writers will help.

Speaking of monthly shipments... was the last issue of IC late? It wasn't included in my shipment...
Old 03-06-06, 12:25 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by bishop2knight
Thanks Jason. I'll have to keep that in mind when I get some cash. I really enjoy USM, so this would be a great way to get the early books.
Actually, now that I look, it appears the B&N version is OOP, and used copies are going for $65 or more, so you may want to jump on that TOW offer.

Here's a link to the B&N version:

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/boo...60761337&itm=8
Old 03-06-06, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

That B&N version was a beast. Too big to read. But thanks for the heads up. I'm sure I'll wait one day too long. But rest assured, if I find that I'm too late for the deal, I'm sure to complain about it here in this thread.
Old 03-06-06, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by fujishig
Yeah, what the heck was that about? I accidentally started reading 5 before 4 (both came in my monthly package)... then went back to read 4 only to find that it was completely unnecessary.

Let's see... I'm so jealous of my brother that I'll have my daughter kill his son, even if they're the last two Kryptonians alive? Great way to shoehorn Batman in there to get the trinity in the book. Glad the magic lasso trick worked. And isn't the Martian Manhunter supposed to be stronger than Superman if there's no fire around? I remember Jurgens pounding that into us when he worked on JLA. I feel dumber for having picked up this book, and dumber still for picking up the next one, hoping the OYL storyline and change of writers will help.

Speaking of monthly shipments... was the last issue of IC late? It wasn't included in my shipment...
Yeah, I know what you mean. As far as her strength, I think it was mentioned by the "Bad" Supergirl, and later implied by Superman, that Supergirl was stronger due to her age(she's actualy older than Kal) and the way her Father setup her rocket. I think they said the rocket was built with a system that bathed her in Yellow Sun Energy the whole time she was in it. Also, Superman said that while he was just as strong as her at her age,was it 16?, he had restraint because of his upbringing and his awareness of his power. However the "bad" Supergirl didn't have this "Failsafe" in her....

Who knows, to be honest I liked the "bad" supergirl but the way the wroppaed that story up was kind quick and also kinda annoying.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.