Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What comics are you reading this month? [November]

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-04, 06:54 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What comics are you reading this month? [November]

Yesterday (Wednesday), I picked up the new Marvel Age books (Mary Jane volume one and Spider-Man volume four) along with The Flash: Terminal Velocity and Teen Titans: Family Lost.

For anyone that digs Marvel Age, I noticed in the back of Spidey volume four that more books are coming like Hulk volume one and Spider-Man Team Up volume one; along with the next volumes of Fantastic Four and Spider-Girl. As a BIG fan of the Marvel Age digests, I can't wait for these to hit. Hulk just started in the monthly format so that one is a ways off, and I don't know anything about Spider-Man Team Up, but the new Spider-Girl and Fantastic Four books should be due soon hopefully.

Moving on, has anyone read the Smallville comic? I've been eyeing the graphic novel at my shop and since Smallville is my current favorite show, I'm curious about the comic.

Anywho, what comics are you reading this month?
Old 11-04-04, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Been a while since I posted in one of these threads. Mostly b/c I just am so behind in what I'm reading, I'm stilll reading new books that came out at the end of 2003.

Here is what I picked up yesterday:

The Intimates #1 - I did an early review of issue #1 over at Brokenfrontier.com last week, http://www.brokenfrontier.com/revie...tes1advance.htm I don't know if linking is allowed. I highly recommend this book, for anyone that likes team books or teen books, from New Mutants, to Teen Titans, to Gen13.

BONE ONE VOLUME EDITION LIMITED SIGNED HARDCOVER - This comic is a work of art as is this Hardcover collection. I highly suggest if you have the means, pick this sucker up. It's just a gorgeous collection, I love hardcovers, & this is as nice a hardcover as you will ever see. Strictily limited, comes with an authentic sketch.

ASTONISHING X-MEN #6 - Best X-title in years (aside from Morrison's first few issues).

AVENGERS #503 - Worste Avengers book in years, which is saying a lot. Awful characterization with events that make no sense in a story just done for shock value to make a new #1. I HATET Brian Bendis, he is by far the most overrated writer ever.

AVENGERS EARTHS MIGHTIEST HEROES #1 - Hopefully this is much better. Kolins is one of my least favorite artists though.

BPRD THE DEAD #1 - I can never have enough guy Davis. His work is unique & brilliant.

CATWOMAN WHEN IN ROME #2 - Pretty much got his just for the art.

DETECTIVE COMICS #800 - Been really looking foward to Lapham's run. I'm all for an epic 12 part story in just one title. Art isn't too impressive though.

FALLEN ANGEL #17 - Book is sooo good. Why aren't more people reading this. BY THE TRADE PEOPLE.

Hawaiin Dick The Last Resort #2 - See above. The art on this is amazing. BY THE TRADE PEOPLE.

JLA CLASSIFIED #1 - Both covers. McGuiness/Morrison, my only complaint is it's just for 3 issues.

MAJESTIC #4 - just picked up 1-3 the other night after seeing this is becoming a monthly series & WOW, was I impressed. Tremendous art & a great story, can't wait until it becomes a monthly. CHECK THIS BOOK OUT.

QUESTION #1 - Brilliant art, always thought the Questions was amazing.

SLEEPER SEASON TWO #5- Brilliant comic as good as anything you will ever read.

Superman Batman #13 - the following are superhero cheeze, yet I can't give them up.
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #12
UNCANNY X-MEN #452

SWAMP THING #9 - Utterly peverse, twisted, extremely dark. By far the best issue of the series yet.
Old 11-04-04, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17

DETECTIVE COMICS #800 - Been really looking foward to Lapham's run. I'm all for an epic 12 part story in just one title. Art isn't too impressive though.
Lapham? As in David Lapham? Is this part of "War Games", or is it a self-contained story? If it's self-contained, I'll definitely pick it up.

FALLEN ANGEL #17 - Book is sooo good. Why aren't more people reading this. BY THE TRADE PEOPLE. [/b]
Yes! Please buy the trade! If enought people buy it, maybe they'll release a second volume. Then I won't have to speand too much time and money on the back issues. I'm a little bit lost in the story right now since I'm missing so many issues, but it really is a great book that just keeps get better.

QUESTION #1 - Brilliant art, always thought the Questions was amazing.
I'm glad that the art is good, but how id the story/writing. I'd love to have a good Question series!
Old 11-04-04, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

since i have gone to mostly trades, i just got an order in a couple of days ago so here is what i have to catch up on:

teen titans vol. 2
fables. v. 4
jack kirby visionaries
wonder woman: challenge of the gods
hulk: dead like me
superman: birthright
best of wolverine.

that plus i still have the bone one volume to read but if i could find a way to snag the hc then i would ditch it to help cover the costs.
Old 11-04-04, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Here is what I picked up yesterday:

[BONE ONE VOLUME EDITION LIMITED SIGNED HARDCOVER - This comic is a work of art as is this Hardcover collection. I highly suggest if you have the means, pick this sucker up. It's just a gorgeous collection, I love hardcovers, & this is as nice a hardcover as you will ever see. Strictily limited, comes with an authentic sketch.
Sessa,

do you know of anywhere that this is still available? is it black and white or color?
Old 11-04-04, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
Sessa,

do you know of anywhere that this is still available? is it black and white or color?
It's in B & W. I know for libraries they are going to colorize Bone, but to me that is completely ruining the comic, I could never read Bone in color. The entire reason the art is so impressive is Smith's use of shadow & his black inks.

As for it's availability, my store just got it in last Wed, so it should be available at your local funny book store. If not just ask your retailer if he can order one. It does have a low print run though, I think something insane like 200.
Old 11-04-04, 11:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

sessa,

i forgot one last question. how much was it?
Old 11-05-04, 01:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
Gamblor, the Lapham story in #800 is a prelude to his 12 issue arc beginning with #801.
Old 11-05-04, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, how the hell are ya? Thought you dropped off the face of the planet. I'm doing interviews for BF now. Hopefully I'll see you over there sometime.

Who's read ASTONISHING X-MEN this week? I'm curious who people think Emma is talking to at the end.

Sessa, you still working at that shop? I'm looking for NYX #3, but I don't want to pay $50. Any ideas on where to get one?
Old 11-05-04, 09:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by kevin75
sessa,

i forgot one last question. how much was it?
It's $125.

Originally posted by James W. Powell

Sessa, how the hell are ya? Thought you dropped off the face of the planet. I'm doing interviews for BF now. Hopefully I'll see you over there sometime.

Hey JP, long time no chat. Yeah, stopped going to Broken Frontier for a while & haven't posted about comics in a while either. I stopped reviewing @ BF b/cI got soooo behind reading my comics, I was just never reading anything new. But I've had some more free time of late, so I just did my first review in about 6 months for BF with The Intimates, & they should have my early review of Iron Man #1 up today. I don't post there much b/c it's like the same 4-5 that do the posting, & they all have 1 mind so I pretty much have the exact opposite taste of everyone there.

I didn't know you were writing at BF, I'm surprised, I've never read anything there except some reviews, I never cared for their columns, but I'll definitely check yours out.

Yeah, I still work at he store, I co-own it so I'll always be involved there. There isn't a store in our area that has NYX #3 I'm sorry, the best bet is ebay.

Last edited by Sessa17; 11-05-04 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-06-04, 05:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
Detective comics - good story, glad babs is leaving gotham in Birds of pray and taking the show on the road. Infact, everyone is pretty much leaving batman to defend the city by himself which is good. He was to dependant on the batcrew.

Avengers - whatever, they are tossing wolvie into the team which is just another added proof that the only way marvel can sell a title is by tagging wolvie on the cover of the issue.

JLA: Classified - Artwork is great by McGuiness. Story seemed cool so far

Superman/Batman: The story is so/so, but the art by turner is amazing. I'm glad he decided to do this arc. I'm also glad that he laid off the witchblade lame shit that he often attaches to all his characters.

Astonishing - The only X title I can stand now a days.

The Question - good first issue.

This coming week:

IDENTITY CRISIS #6 - YEAH BABY!! Can't wait!
Old 11-07-04, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

i was in my old comic store yesterday and i read avengers #503 and i literally busted out laughing at the end because it was so ridiculous. marvel has seriously pissed me off by how low they have sunk this title.
Old 11-07-04, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Did anyone catch the Identity Crisis spoiler in this month's Previews magazine? It was in the description of one of the Superman titles, I can't remember which one though.

Spoiler:
Lois Lane gets shot.

I know this stuff is all written up months in advance, but still with something like this, you'd think they could be a little bit more careful about letting things slip.
Old 11-07-04, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Joe Molotov
Did anyone catch the Identity Crisis spoiler in this month's Previews magazine? It was in the description of one of the Superman titles, I can't remember which one though.

Spoiler:
Lois Lane gets shot.

They were referring to Adventures of Superman, where
Spoiler:
Lois Lane just got shot
, not Identity Crisis.

I know everyone reads it anyway, but I cannot stress enough what absolute garbage Wizard Magazine is. They blatantly make things up all the time to meet deadlines & fill space in issues, one of my subsribers at my store is an artist & use to work for Wizard.
Old 11-07-04, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They were referring to Adventures of Superman, where
Spoiler:
Lois Lane just got shot
, not Identity Crisis.
Oh, okay. I don't read Adventures of Superman. I just read the description and saw something like...

Spoiler:
In the aftermath of Idenity Crisis, Superman tries to get answers about Lois's shooting but finds Batman and Wonder Woman unwilling to help him.

...and assumed it had something to do with an upcoming issue of Idenity Crisis.
Old 11-08-04, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you head on over to Brokenfrontier.com, just CLICK HERE
& scroll down on the front page a little, my first-look review of Iron Man #1 is up.

Last edited by Sessa17; 11-08-04 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-09-04, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Location: WAS looking for My Own Private Stuckeyville, but stuck in Liberty City (while missing Vice City)
I know everyone reads it anyway, but I cannot stress enough what absolute garbage Wizard Magazine is.
Yeah, gotta thank them for spoiling Avengers #503 for me.

Not that I think this storyline doesn't suck, but if I want something spoiled, i'll ask, thanks.
Old 11-09-04, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love Green Lantern as a character, but I don't read the monthly title or JLA. I just don't care for the writers involved. Now I'm reading "Green Lantern: Rebirth", and I need someone to get me up to speed. I've got a few questions. I'm not using spoiler tags because my question don't have to do with "Rebirth", but the Green Lanterns, in general.

What happened to Kyle. He used to be in the JLA, but I know that he's been replaced by John Stewart. How and why?

What's the deal with Guy Gardner? No longer a Green Lantern? Does he just go by Guy Gardner: Warrior? What are his powers now, and how did he get them?

How did Hal Jordan become The Spectre, and what happened to Jim Corrigan?

When Hal Jordan went off his rocker, I know that he killed some. Who's left in the GL Corps? Anyone at all?
Old 11-10-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I know everyone reads it anyway, but I cannot stress enough what absolute garbage Wizard Magazine is. They blatantly make things up all the time to meet deadlines & fill space in issues, one of my subsribers at my store is an artist & use to work for Wizard.
Yeah, but they have the most realisitc price guide on the market and those skits with employee's heads pasted on toys...those are hilarious.

Old 11-10-04, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not that anyone cares much, but here's a list of the books I'm reading...

Sleeper, Ex Machina, and Y: The Last Man are some of the best comics I've ever read. I'm blown away every month. These are great as monthlies (best cliffhangers in the biz), and the trades are another great experience to boot. If I were to attempt getting a newbie into reading comics, I'd start with these.

Gotham Central is the best police procedural book I've read.

Batman, Detective Comics, and Birds of Prey. Well, I just have to read something Batman. With Lapham on Detective and Simone on Birds, what could go wrong? (although I'm a little worried about the Birds leaving Gotham.)

Authority: Revolution. Never read the book before, but the first issue was great.

Captain America (coming soon). I'll read anything by Brubaker.

Astonishing X-Men: So, just who was Emma talking to?

Black Widow, Adam Strange, and Catwoman: When in Rome are three mini series that made me overlook my rule about not reading mini series. I'm loving 'em. I don't want to see any of these become a regular series, but I'd love to see them come back as regular minis every year.

Also, I'm trying to dump Fallen Angel, The Losers, Conan, and Mystique but I haven't been able to do it yet. They're just too good, no matter what my wallet says.
Old 11-10-04, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

james,

actually thanks for saying that you think ex machina is good. the trade is coming out in january and i am thinking about picking it up.
Old 11-10-04, 08:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Yeah, I really enjoy Ex Machina too. It definitely has had a few surprises in it and its quite well-written (no surprise for fans of Vaughn). I think its pretty cheap at www.dcbservice.com too.
Old 11-10-04, 10:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

yup, that's where i was planning on picking it up from. thanks!
Old 11-10-04, 10:23 PM

My Tpbs for this month are:

Finder: Mystery Date
Fables: March of the Wooden Soldiers
Old 11-11-04, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ed Brubaker fans, if you head on over to the newly revamped Brokentier.com & scroll down a bit on the home page CLICK HERE FOR BROKEN FRONTIER, they just put up my review which is the first review anywhere of the brilliant Brubaker's first issue of Captain America

If anyone reads the review or the book when it comes out, let me know what you think.

Last edited by Sessa17; 11-11-04 at 09:23 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.