Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Do you guys still read comic books?

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-04, 09:05 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you guys still read comic books?

I have a question to the members here….

Do you guys still read comic books? I’m 24 years old and was thinking, is it normal for a guy my age to be reading this? Looking at the books they don’t seem for kids…you have graphic fights, and very interesting story lines. My comic book interest sparked up again after the first Spider-man movie. Up until I was 14 I loved comics, then I just stopped. I guess I felt I was too “cool” for comics….Didn’t want to be one of those kids. But also it started to get really expensive. So I just dropped the hobby cold turkey. Now I have a lot more money, so every week I purchase a few (Midtown Comics Time Square) every Wednesday.

My usual books are:

Amazing Spider-man
Spectacular Spider-Man
MK Spider-man
Batman
Superman
Ultimate Spider-man
Ultimate FF
Ultimate Xmen
Uncanny Xmen
Astonishing Xmen
Wanted

So here is the question…

1.) Do you read comic books?
2.) How old are you?
3.) What books do you read?
Old 08-02-04, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1) yes
2)old enough to be your mother
3)Batman, Superman, Punisher, Wonderwoman
Old 08-02-04, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

1.) Yup, since I was about 14
2.) A legal drinking age higher than #1
3.) Too many to post, but Y The Last Man, Supreme Power, Sleeper, AXM to name a few.
Old 08-02-04, 11:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's nothing wrong with reading comic books. I'm 23, to be 24 in November. I got a really late start, but I'd rather read comics than read regular books or even watch movies.
Old 08-02-04, 11:55 AM
Retired

1. No
2. 25 (lost interest in comics around 14-15)
3. n/a

But there's certainly nothing wrong with reading them as an adult. As with any hobby, the point is to entertain yourself, so if comics entertain you it's nothing to be ashamed of.
Old 08-02-04, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Re: Do you guys still read comic books?

Originally posted by Get Me Coffee
I have a question to the members here….

Do you guys still read comic books? I’m 24 years old and was thinking, is it normal for a guy my age to be reading this? Looking at the books they don’t seem for kids…you have graphic fights, and very interesting story lines. My comic book interest sparked up again after the first Spider-man movie. Up until I was 14 I loved comics, then I just stopped. I guess I felt I was too “cool” for comics….Didn’t want to be one of those kids. But also it started to get really expensive.
Not talking about anyone specifically but from my experience, if a person has to question if it's "OK" to still read comics, then they are a very insecure person, they can't just do something they enjoy, they need to know if it meets other people's standards.

I guess I'm the biggest dork in the world b/c I co-own a comic book store w/ my 2 best friends. So yes, I still read comics although I lost interest for about 4 years.

[b]
2.) How old are you?

Too many to list, about 40-60 different titles a month.

My favorite books & what I feel everyone should be checking out are:

Queen & Country
Sleeper
The Walking Dead
100 Bullets
Fables
Thor
Hellblazer
Usagi Yojimbo
The Losers
Fallen Angel
Thor
JSA
Planetary
Old 08-02-04, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Re: Do you guys still read comic books?

Originally posted by Sessa17
Not talking about anyone specifically but from my experience, if a person has to question if it's "OK" to still read comics, then they are a very insecure person, they can't just do something they enjoy, they need to know if it meets other people's standards.
I'm very secure with myself. I guess I was just wondering if other people within my age range are reading comic books. I'm reading them regardless, but I just wanted to know.
Old 08-02-04, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm 31 (almost 32) and I still read 'em. Collect 'em. Bag 'em. Board 'em. Hell, I even write about 'em and interview the folks who create 'em. I love the things. They take me away from the worries of the world, offer quick entertainment, and some of the fun super hero books help me remember what it was like to be a kid.

I prefer the darker stuff, so my top list would be:

SLEEPER
GOTHAM CENTRAL
Y: THE LAST MAN
EX MACHINA (so far anyway)
LOSERS
FALLEN ANGEL

Best super hero book:
BIRDS OF PREY
Old 08-02-04, 01:40 PM

I'm 23 and started reading again (stopped at 16) when the Hush storyline came out.

Currently I'm reading

Green Lantern (to see how Marz wraps the book up)
Identity Crisis
and
Ultimate Spiderman, which I only get the TPBs of

-Paul Jacobi-
Old 08-02-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I seem to go in and out of reading/buying comics every 5 years or so, and when I get back into the comic scene, I have a tendency to try and catch up with good stuff since the last active period and currently I've been pretty active on Ebay buying hardcovers, and entire runs of titles that I'm interested in. And seeing as my 20th high school reunion is coming up next year, I'm not a youngster anymore...
Old 08-02-04, 03:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm 26 but I mostly stick to Trade Paperbacks and Graphic Novels to save a couple of bucks.

I mostly read Ultimate Spider-man, Usagi Yojimbo, Blade of the Immortal and various manga books (Naruto, Rebound, and One Piece)
Old 08-02-04, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 444 Likes on 311 Posts
I started buying comics in 1977 after first seeing Star Wars (or rather, my parents bought me the giant-sized Star Wars comic book adaptation after much begging) - I was 7 years old at the time, and things just took off from there. Through the years I did feel a little alienated in my hobby - for example, in high school, I was the only one on the football team that read comics. I'm now 32 and I still buy comics - though my tastes have matured - I no longer read super hero books (maybe just 1 or 2 superhero books, depending on the writer) and I only buy about 5 books a month total.

I think in about another 5 years, I will have completely phased out comic books altogether - save for the occasional graphic novel, or acclaimed paperback collection.

Last edited by slop101; 08-02-04 at 05:23 PM.
Old 08-02-04, 05:45 PM

1) Yes

2) 33

3) All Tpbs anymore: Fables, Lucifer, Thieves and kings, Finder, Nodwick, Dork Tower, Strangers in Paradise, Cerebus, Bone, and Little White Mouse
Old 08-02-04, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 483 Likes on 319 Posts
I'm 26 and I still read comics. Mostly stuff like Acme Novelty Library, Eightball, Chester Brown, Peepshow. I've been re-reading Sandman reccently.

I've also been enjoying newspaper comics a lot. This year I've gone through the complete run of For Better or For Worse. It's cool to see characters from 11 years ago start turning up in more current strips as adults. Lyn Johnson is great at drawing funny facial expressions and poses.
Old 08-02-04, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I used to read comic books big time as a youngster, and collected until about 3 years or so into college (around 1994). Recently sold my collection to the local comic store, and got store credit and I purchase trade paper backs etc. of some of the stories I had, to save for space etc. I stopped simply because it got too expensive. I'll stop reading when it stops being interesting. I just don't see that happening, though.

Oh yeah...I'm 32 (well, I am on Aug. 6 anyway). Current reading? Y The Last Man (still need to pick up Vol. 3).
Old 08-02-04, 07:22 PM

Re: Do you guys still read comic books?

Yes
2.) How old are you?

Here is my from june preorders

EX MACHINA #3 (MR)
FALLEN ANGEL #14 (MR)
INVINCIBLE #16
ULTIMATE ELEKTRA #1
ULTIMATE FANTASTIC FOUR #10
ULTIMATE NIGHTMARE #1
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #63
ULTIMATE SPIDER-MAN #64
ULTIMATE X-MEN #50
X-MEN THE END BOOK ONE DREAMERS AND DEMONS #1
X-MEN THE END BOOK ONE DREAMERS AND DEMONS #2

And added to the july pre-orders

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN #512
MARVEL AGE RUNAWAYS VOL 2 TEENAGE WASTELAND DIGEST
MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN VOL 1 DOWN AMONG THE DEA
WALKING DEAD #12

and added to this months preorders
Y the last man
Supreme power

I have been out of comics for over 10 years. My employee let me borrow his ultimate trades(spider-man, x-men) That got me hooked again. Then checked out book talk for ideas and online pre-orders.
Old 08-02-04, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.) Yes. I used to when I was younger, and stopped about age 12 until just about 2 years ago.
2.) 26
3.) I buy almost exclusively either mini-series, trades or graphics novels/manga. I either pick up stuff that peeks my interest on the shelf, I see recommended, or is a geek weakness.
Old 08-02-04, 10:29 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

1. Yes...and I read quite a few more books now than I used to when I was younger.
2. 22
3. Hellboy/BPRD, Ultimate Spider-Man, Amazing Spider-Man, Astonishing X-Men, Ultimate X-Men, various TPBs (Essential X-Men, Spidey, Punisher, Daredevil, etc), and whatever I find laying around (usually old Supes and Bats).
Old 08-03-04, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts
1. No. I read a few Marvel titles quite actively from 1986-1989 and sporadically for a few years after that.

2. 26

3. I am very interested in picking up the 100 BULLETS TPBs. And possibly some of the WOLVERINE TPBs, but there are so many and I need some suggestions/opinions on the Wolvie titles.
Old 08-03-04, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No, it's not normal.

You're supposed to give 'em up about the time you start driving.
Old 08-05-04, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
33 in a few months and still as addicted as I was at 12.
Old 08-05-04, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm 25 and still read about 8 or 9 titles a month, if finances allow.
Old 08-06-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For wolverine get this:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

and this:

http://dynamicforces.com/htmlfiles/p-C101397.html
Old 08-06-04, 06:03 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

Your link for the upcoming Wolverine HC doesn't include the Miller mini, but the solicit reads like this:

BEST OF WOLVERINE VOL. 1 HC
Written by CHRIS CLAREMONT, BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH,
LEN WEIN & MARK GRUENWALD
Penciled by FRANK MILLER, BARRY WINDSOR-SMITH,
HERB TRIMPE & MIKE ZECK
Cover by FRANK MILLER
The world's deadliest mutant, he's been called the best there is; now, the best of the best Wolverine stories ever told are collected in one deluxe hardcover! In Claremont and Miller's WOLVERINE, Logan goes solo when he travels to Japan, testing his honor and risking his life for the only woman he's ever loved. In Windsor-Smith's WEAPON X, Wolverine is subjected to a series of sadistic medical experiments designed to create the perfect soldier long before his days as an X-Man. Also collecting INCREDIBLE HULK #181, UNCANNY X-MEN #205 and CAPTAIN AMERICA ANNUAL #8!
320 PGS./MARVEL PSR …$29.99

Also, I'm 27 and been reading comics for 18 years.
Old 08-07-04, 05:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm 30 and have been collecting since I was 12. I have only stop buying comics twice and that was because of money problems but I always come back.
I mostly read Marvel books but also get Conan, Superman, Y the last man, and Ex Machina. I also love She-Hulk, anyone else reading it?

And how many comics do you own? I stoped counting at 4,000 a few years ago.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.