What Comics are you reading? [May]

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Comics are you reading? [May]

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-04, 10:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The B&N Ultimate Spider-Man sounds nice but I already have the 3 separate hc's. The direct market is understandably upset that they're left out of this offer and www.talesofwonder.com decided to counter the deal with one of their own.

Details can be found at: http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=13209

Essentially they want to defend their position as one of the largest sellers of graphic novels and are offering the 3 hardcovers (separate) for the same price as the B&N book.
Old 05-20-04, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There was a MUST BUY new comic that came out for all of you comic book fans yesterday.

Read my review of it here: http://www.brokenfrontier.com/review...uy1advance.htm
Old 05-20-04, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Sessa17
There was a MUST BUY new comic that came out for all of you comic book fans yesterday.

Read my review of it here: http://www.brokenfrontier.com/review...uy1advance.htm
I wasn't sure what to make of this title when I first saw the cover and I couldn't quite figure out the premise from info I read. But, certainly sounds interesting! I'll try a few issues. Thanks for the review.

Last edited by Chew; 05-20-04 at 10:59 AM.
Old 05-20-04, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

You know, I was talked into reading the trade of the first five issues of Superman/Batman, and you know what, I liked it. Who knew?
Old 05-20-04, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, I'm somewhere in between when it comes to Grant Morrisson. He's done some great stuff, but he's down plenty of stuff that I hated. I must admit that I had no interest in "Sea Guy", but your review has convinced me to give it a shot.

Ant reviews yet on "JLA: Another Nail"?

jim
Old 05-21-04, 01:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Ok, I'm about four issues into Walking Dead (it's a little hard to tell, they just present it as one story and no covers to seperate each issue). Without giving the "why", can someone just answer whether we get a reason for how the world became full of zombies? Y/N?
Old 05-21-04, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by Chew
Ok, I'm about four issues into Walking Dead (it's a little hard to tell, they just present it as one story and no covers to seperate each issue). Without giving the "why", can someone just answer whether we get a reason for how the world became full of zombies? Y/N?
No reason is given so far.
Old 05-21-04, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

This is a great essay about the recent spike in variant covers from the LCS owner's perspective, by Rick Shea. It is well worth a read.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=13292
Old 05-21-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Also it looks like the the end for El Cazador, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is a shame as they were to great series.

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=13272

Hopefully Abazzazad will last long enough to get some kind of a ending.

Last edited by MrBob; 05-22-04 at 01:11 AM.
Old 05-21-04, 07:18 PM
MrN
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by Chew
As someone already said, its 'N'

To me that was another big negative of the story - even the worst zombie movies will have people wondering how it happened.

I don't mind not knowing exactly why (like in Y the last man where we are given several possiblities) but not even addressing the question is a weakness.

In new comics: I loved Seaguy. The Red/Tokyo Storm Warning trade was so-so but the last Ministry of Space was excellent and I think reads even better in one sitting.

Up next: the last Grant Morrison New X-Men trade - what's up with Marvel hiking the price on us?
Old 05-21-04, 08:58 PM

Originally posted by MrBob
Also it looks like the the end for El Cazador, and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, which is a shame as they were to great series.

http://www.dvdtalk.com/forum/showthr...19#post4911219

Hopefully Abazzazad will last long enough to get some kind of a ending.
Did they give ending issue numbers? Also, the link provided is this thread...?
Old 05-22-04, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=13272

Sorry about that I'll edit the post.

I stole this from a post in that thread:

For those interested, here's the actual run down on the various titles:

Brath - final issue is #17.

Way of the Rat - final issue is #24.

El Cazador - officially on hiatus after issue #6.

Sojourn - issue #35 was cancelled by the publisher, followed by an announcement that #34 was the final issue.

Kiss Kiss Bang Bang - issue #7 has been cancelled by the publisher. No official announcement on ending or hiatus.

Lady Death: The Wild Hunt - Jimmy Cheung has stated the series wraps up with issue #6.

Negation War - concludes with Part Six.

Route 666 - final issue is #24. Supposed to be relaunched in the future as Monster Rally with same creative team (Tony Bedard, Karl Moline, Rick Magyar.)

Abadazad - still ongoing (though sales are not high.)

Raven House - Solicited to debut in August from Chuck Dixon. Mike Perkins moves from Kiss Kiss Bang Bang to pencil.

Sojourn/Lady Death - two issue limited series from Chuck Dixon, Brian Pulido & George Perez, should debut in June.

Sergio Cariello was reported this week to be working on an unannounced project for CrossGen as well. El Cazador and Kiss Kiss Bang Bang have openings, but we'll have to wait and see if it is one of them or a new project.

I have just finished reading 3 series that were recommened by you guys, they were Rex Mundi, Walking Dead, and Dead at 17.

Overall I enjoyed all of them, If I had to rank them:

1, Rex Mundi
2, Walking Dead
3, Dead at 17

If I get around to it I'll write out my thoughts on them later.
Old 05-22-04, 06:05 PM

I appreciate the info, even tho its not good news (except for the fact I'll start saving $6 a month...).
Old 05-22-04, 06:34 PM

Gregory Treasury vol 1 and 2. Nice to see these back in print since my originals were "borrowed" by a former roomate years ago.
Old 05-22-04, 10:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by DaveCole
Gregory Treasury vol 1 and 2. Nice to see these back in print since my originals were "borrowed" by a former roomate years ago.
I have the originals. Great books! And only $9.95 each for these collections is a bargain!
Old 05-22-04, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
Just posted some reviews of recent Spider-Man issues on my blog if anyone cares -- link in sig right down there--
Old 05-23-04, 02:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

i want to get people to send me free comics to read and i will review them (off topic)
Old 05-24-04, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished the Walking Dead trade. Great stuff
Old 05-24-04, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glen, great Astonishing X-Men review. Might have to try that one out.
Old 05-24-04, 12:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by James W. Powell
Glen, great Astonishing X-Men review. Might have to try that one out.
Thanks. Did you check out Seaguy, it was phenomenal, I figure you would like it.

For eveyrone else here, Buffy fans, X-men fans. I have an early review of Astonishing X-men #1 over at Broken Frontier. Here is the link:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/review...en1advance.htm

Old 05-24-04, 01:27 PM
MrN

I flipped through the advance copy my store got and I've never seen Cassady art look so good. Hope he can stick to the schedule of this and Planetary.
Old 05-24-04, 01:37 PM
nny
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just read the fourth rail's reviews of axm and they were fairly negative even though the scores, 5/10 and 7/10, weren't bad. It's nice to see a very positive review, I'm really looking forward to this comic.
Old 05-24-04, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by nny
I just read the fourth rail's reviews of axm and they were fairly negative even though the scores, 5/10 and 7/10, weren't bad. It's nice to see a very positive review, I'm really looking forward to this comic.
Personally I cannot stand the 4th rail guys. They act as if X-books are so beneath them. No matter what the X-book is they will always give it a pretty bad review. The guy that gave it a 5 out of 10 completely misses the point of the book. He criticizes it for being the same thing for long time readers when the entire point of the book is to be a re-start for new readers. They are EXTREMELY bias to several creators, no matter what they do (Bendis for example) they refuse to say anything negative about them. And pretty much no matter what Indy book they review they give it high marks IMO just to sound like they are so cool they like Indy books. Stick to the reviews at Broken Frontier for a non-bias review. Especially mine

Last edited by Sessa17; 05-24-04 at 02:23 PM.
Old 05-24-04, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

For eveyrone else here, Buffy fans, X-men fans. I have an early review of Astonishing X-men #1 over at Broken Frontier. Here is the link:

http://www.brokenfrontier.com/review...en1advance.htm
Well, I'm not a Buffy fan nor much of an X-Men fan, but your review has me interetsed. I'll pick it up this week. Even if I don't like the writing, I'm sure that I'll love the art. I've got to agree with you. John Cassady is the best artist working today.

I re-read "JLA: The Nail" before picking up its sequel last week. My opinion of it hasn't changed. Although it's nothing groundbreaking, it is an enjoyable book with some nice art. Unfortunately, it falls apart in the third act with some awful plot twists and an anticlimactic ending. It's too early for me to judge "Another Nail". The first issue really only serves to tie up some of the loose ends from the first series.

I also picked up "Human Target" #10 last week. Proof that every series, no matter how good, is going to have an off issue from time to time. This was a real disappointment.

I can't wait for "New Frontier" #4 this week!
Old 05-24-04, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Now nobody has an excuse not to read Bone, jeff smith is releaseing the entire series in 1 trade paperback and amazon.com is selling it for under 28$.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...718952-0810243

more info here:
http://newsarama.com/forums/showthre...threadid=13327

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.