Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Comic Book Talk
Reload this Page >

What Comics are you reading [February] ?

Community
Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

What Comics are you reading [February] ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-04, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fables is great, though I got into it late, and now, I may have to get all the back issues. I hate getting TPBs, it's the
collector in me that I have to have the original issues.
Getting back issues of Fables isn't to hard, and you really shouldn't have to pay more than cover price until you start getting to around issue five. If you have some Local comic shops in your area check them out. The ones in my area are still 10 deep in the back issues still on the rack. And if you don't check out www.midtowncomics.com last time I check they were selling back to isssue 9 at around cover price.

Did anybody pick up a copy of Ant #1 this week, it was an excellent comic well worth reading if you can find it.
Old 02-12-04, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by MrBob
Getting back issues of Fables isn't to hard, and you really shouldn't have to pay more than cover price until you start getting to around issue five. If you have some Local comic shops in your area check them out. The ones in my area are still 10 deep in the back issues still on the rack. Also if you don't have a LCS try http://www.midtowncomics.com . They have issues back to #9 and they are selling for 2.13 apiece.

Did anybody pick up a copy of Ant #1 this week, it was an excellent comic well worth reading if you can find it.
Old 02-13-04, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I tried reading Peter Bagge's new one (already forgotten the name), but proved too painful. Bring back "Hate"!
Old 02-13-04, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here's what I'm getting:

100 Bullets
Action Comics #813 *Fan of Turner

Adventures of Superman #625, 626, 627 *Looking forward to Rucka/Clark's take on the book with #627

Amazing Spider-Man *I'm not so much into the book anymore with all the mystical stuff...it seems more and more like a Dr Strange book every issue, but I love the character

Arrowsmith
Batman (through #625)
Batman: Death & The Maiden
Birds of Prey
Daredevil
Darkness
Fables
Fantastic Four
Flash
HERO
Kiss Kiss Bang Bang *liked #1, will try #2
Losers
Love Fights
New X-Men (through #154)
Outsiders
Planetary
Powers
Pulse
Queen & Country
Rising Stars *will the series ever conclude?
Runaways
Secret War
Sleeper
Sojourn

Star Wars Infinities: Return of the Jedi *suckered in by Wizard's ravings, its not really that entertaining, imo, but I already bought the first two issues

Street Fighter
Superman #202 & Up
Superman: Birthright
Superman/Batman
Supreme Power
Teen Titans
Transformers/GI Joe
Ultimate Fantastic Four
Ultimate Six
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimates
Wolverine
Y: The Last Man

Looking forward to the upcoming Herobear & The Kid mini, the Batman: Harley & Ivy mini, and the Daredevil: Father mini. I've also got Ant & Dead@17 on the way...thanks for the recommends!
Old 02-17-04, 10:24 PM

In looking over some lists from other posters, I decided I'd pick up and try several issues from Gotham Central and Human Target; I also picked up Capes, Invincible, and Ant.

I was a slightly underwhelmed with Ant, though the story was different and the art was fairly good. I'll try out #2 if I can find it Capes was pretty good, but it needed to be a few more issues - Kirkman started off good with #1, but then crammed too much stuff into #2 and especially #3 (imo). Invincible, I've only read two issues, but I'm liking it. I haven't tried GC or HT yet, but I'm looking forward to both...
Old 02-18-04, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good call on picking up Gotham Central LD. It's one of my favorite titles. Let us know what you think.
Old 02-19-04, 12:52 PM

Over the last few days, I read GC 1-5 and I must say that I'm hooked - its great stuff. I already purchased 11-16 and I'll either wait for the trade or try to put together 6-10 (from various comic shops, as the one I frequent doesn't have #9). Now onto Human Target!

As for yesterday's books, I thought the second part of the Godfall Saga (Adv of Superman) was much better than the first in Action Comics last week, though if you're not a fan of Superman or Turner, don't bother. Birds of Prey #64 was excellent, mostly due to the subplot with Oracle. Daredevil #57 was a good read, but the action scenes were fairly ambigious. FF #510 was great. I didn't think Kiss Kiss Bang Bang #2 lived up to the first issue, mainly due to the overly long flashback (imo) that broke up the pace. Superman/Batman #6 was a great conclusion to an overly long and confusing (at times) first arc. New X-Men #153 made very little sense to me (as have the previous two issues), and judging from the reviews at thefourthrail.com, I'm not the only one. I was a bit let down in Wolverine #11 (end of Coyote Crossing), as it was relatively action free, but did provide a satisfying conclusion to the Rojas storyline.
Old 02-19-04, 01:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

LD, I think the coming trade of GC only has issues 1-5.

Yesterday I read THE GOON and thought it was great. I also read THE PULSE and thought it was decent, but too slow. If anyone's interested, here are some reviews.

I'm reading DAREDEVIL, ROSE/THORN, and BoP tonight.
Old 02-19-04, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Just out of curiosity, anyone here been checking out my reviews over at brokenfrontier.com ? The last one I did was for Aquaman #15.

This week had some damn good comics.

I was really surprised with Abadazad #1. I HATE Crossgen & everything they stand for, so I had very low expectations. But damn, the book is a good book. If your looking for something different, it's definitely worth a look.

Very glad you picked up The Goon Liquid, I've been preaching it's brilliance since it first begin.

On the other hand, I've been raving about Morrison's run on New X-men here as long as these threads have been around & man has this future story-arc sucked.

I'm diggin' the new Superman books. I haven't read Superman in years.

BoP hasn't dissapointed once since the new creative team took over.

I think there is some other stuff I'm forgetting about from yesterday, I haven't read everything yet.

Don't forget everyone. Next week finially marks the release of the return of one of my all--time favorite characters. CONAN!.

Also, Liquid & JP, did you guys check out Dead@17 yet, if so what did you think?
Old 02-19-04, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, I haven't checked out Dead just because of the shipping problems. I know it's lame, but I don't want to pay the $8. I'm sure I'll e-mail Jessie again to see what's what.

As for your reviews, is there anyway to know what you've done without clicking every review?
Old 02-19-04, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by James W. Powell
Sessa, I haven't checked out Dead just because of the shipping problems. I know it's lame, but I don't want to pay the $8. I'm sure I'll e-mail Jessie again to see what's what.

As for your reviews, is there anyway to know what you've done without clicking every review?
Looks like Viper Comics answered the shipping cost question. Check here
Old 02-19-04, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I guess the only way is for me to post here. Broken Frontier is a GREAT website, the forums are awesome, & there are tons of creators that post there, but the one thing that REALLY annoys me is that the review editor doesn't post the reviews for recent comics until about a week or sometimes later after they are on the stands, so by then, they aren't new reviews.

Some of my recent reviews there are Aquaman #15, The Monolith #1, Global Frequency #11. I just don't get the time to read all of my comics let alone write reviews for them. I'll probably do one for the new Flash that comes out next week.
Old 02-19-04, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, I think your reviews are great. Well written and informative. And the best thing, which I might've mentioned in an email awhile back, is that you don't always say that everything in the book is great. Too many reviewers always say this or that is good, but you explain yourself and aren't afraid to point out the things you don't like.

I agree that the forum there is great, too, I just don't find myself posting. Not sure why though.
Old 02-19-04, 05:06 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I bought #6-8 of The Losers and #47-48 of 100 Bullets. I've never read either but figured I would grab a couple issues of each to see if I like them, then go back and get back issues or the trades.
Old 02-19-04, 05:48 PM

I was just wondering if anyone else collected any original comic art of sketches by comic artists. I just recently got into this pricey addiction. It's a very cool feeling to hold the actual artwork form a comic. Right now I have several pages from Jerry Becks Something Wicked by Image and sketches from Kyle Hotz, Jerry Beck, Joe Vigil, and Tim Tyler.
Old 02-19-04, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, I think your reviews are great. Well written and informative. And the best thing, which I might've mentioned in an email awhile back, is that you don't always say that everything in the book is great. Too many reviewers always say this or that is good, but you explain yourself and aren't afraid to point out the things you don't like.

I agree that the forum there is great, too, I just don't find myself posting. Not sure why though.
Thanks!! The one annoying thing with the reviews at Broken Frontier, I don't even read the other reviews there, is that EVERYONE there loves everything. Aside from mine, you rarely read negative reviews. I'm very critical. I look at it from the point of view of someone spending their hard earned money, they should no exactly the good & bad of what they are about to buy.

You reviews great also JP. What I dig about your reviews is you review a lot of stuff I either don't read or haven't gotten to yet, & I know from all our emails that we have very similar taste so I know what I'm getting with you stuff.

I post way more here than I do at the BF boards, the main attraction for me at their forum is all the creators they have there. I'm into Indy books so a lost of the Indy creators post there which is a big plus for me.
Old 02-19-04, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by mljones99
I bought #6-8 of The Losers and #47-48 of 100 Bullets. I've never read either but figured I would grab a couple issues of each to see if I like them, then go back and get back issues or the trades.
Can't speak to LOSERS, but 100 BULLETS is amazing. I haven't read past the third trade, but I definately recommend you start from the beginning.
Old 02-19-04, 06:40 PM

Can't speak to LOSERS, but 100 BULLETS is amazing. I haven't read past the third trade, but I definately recommend you start from the beginning.
yeah, after reading a little more about it I think I will start with the trades.
Old 02-19-04, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, how did BF get creators to jump onboard the forum? I sent an email to Brubaker to tell him about my column on SLEEPER and got no response. I sent an email to Eric Powell about my positive words about THE GOON, and got a "thanks" email (which was actually kinda cool).

I guess I wasn't expecting anything more from them. I mean, a reply wasn't even expected. But I'd like to have creators know that the smaller (but growing site) is trying to help promote them. And I'd like to have them visit the forum to answer a question or two.

Any idea how to make this happen?
Old 02-19-04, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Sessa, how did BF get creators to jump onboard the forum? I sent an email to Brubaker to tell him about my column on SLEEPER and got no response. I sent an email to Eric Powell about my positive words about THE GOON, and got a "thanks" email (which was actually kinda cool).

I guess I wasn't expecting anything more from them. I mean, a reply wasn't even expected. But I'd like to have creators know that the smaller (but growing site) is trying to help promote them. And I'd like to have them visit the forum to answer a question or two.

Any idea how to make this happen?
I think you just have to let the site grow. BF was a small site & now on countless major trades from DC & Marvel & advertisements & Wizard you see all the time quotes from Broken Frontier. The site just has to grow. Also with BF the review editor is a publisher (he does the Hedge Night comics) so that helps. The people that run Bf already had relationships with a lof of creators so that is really the key. But I know from being on the staff that they constantly try to get interviews with big names & while they get some, they get shot down twice as much. A guy like Brubaker is one of the hottest writers in comics, so you have to understand he isn't going to respond to all of the requests for him.

Just try with the Indy books & lesser known titles b/c those are the guys that NEED to plug there work.

Quite a long way you've come JP, & remember it wasn't that long ago you emailed me saying you weren't even reading comics, you just wanted to get back into them with a title or two, & now here you are trying to contact creators for a comic book website
Old 02-19-04, 09:58 PM

LD, I think the coming trade of GC only has issues 1-5.
Yes, but hopefully they'll release a TPB sometime in the future with 6-10...

Originally posted by Sessa17
Just out of curiosity, anyone here been checking out my reviews over at brokenfrontier.com ?.

Very glad you picked up The Goon Liquid, I've been preaching it's brilliance since it first begin.

Also, Liquid & JP, did you guys check out Dead@17 yet, if so what did you think?
I have read several of your reviews and I think they are very informative and thorough. I haven't actually tried the Goon recently, I picked up #1 when it first came out awhile back, but I couldn't really get into it.

As for Dead@17, my lot from eBay hasn't arrived, but I'll post here when I check them out.

Originally posted by mljones99
I bought #6-8 of The Losers and #47-48 of 100 Bullets.
I buy 100 Bullets, but haven't read them recently, but honestly, 7&8 of the Losers might not've been the best place to jump on (its the Downtime arc, right?). The first six issues are awesome, whereas 7&8 have a fill in artist and, while good, don't live up to the initial run.

As for original art, I really really wanted a page from Spyboy, but the guy on eBay advertised one page and sent me a different, completely lame one instead. I sent it back and got a partial refund, and it seems he's the only one to ever offer pages from Spyboy, so I haven't ever got another one. Maybe one day...
Old 02-19-04, 10:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Sessa17
Quite a long way you've come JP, & remember it wasn't that long ago you emailed me saying you weren't even reading comics, you just wanted to get back into them with a title or two, & now here you are trying to contact creators for a comic book website
So true. So true. I'm loving comics these days though. They were never this good when I read them as a kid, or in college, or even 6 years ago.

I'm finding myself wanting to be a part of the industry. I want to find a way to promote comics to new readers like myself, or women, or just any damn body. There's so much growth available with comics. I hate the fact they are classified as "for kids" when most of the stuff is written for adults.

Seriously, if you hadn't pointed me in the direction of GC, Catwoman, 100 Bullets, etc., I bet I'd be out of the hobby alread. I'm just glad there are more than just super hero books. Now I want to spread the word.
Old 02-19-04, 10:22 PM

[

I buy 100 Bullets, but haven't read them recently, but honestly, 7&8 of the Losers might not've been the best place to jump on (its the Downtime arc, right?). The first six issues are awesome, whereas 7&8 have a fill in artist and, while good, don't live up to the initial run.

[/B][/QUOTE]

Hmm, maybe I will just get the trades for both and keep the issues I just bought till later. I'm definitly looking forward to both.
Old 02-20-04, 08:30 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Right now I'm catching up on a lot of my comic book reading. Currently I'm reading:

The Ultimates
Ultimate X-Men
Ultimate Spider-Man
Ultimate Fantastic Four
X-Statix
Batman
Y-The Last Man
Hellboy
Old 02-20-04, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Liquid Death

7&8 of the Losers might not've been the best place to jump on (its the Downtime arc, right?). The first six issues are awesome, whereas 7&8 have a fill in artist and, while good, don't live up to the initial run.

For anyone looking to jump on board with The Losers, the most underrated book Vertigo publishes, the first trade collecting the first 6 issues came out 2 weeks ago. It's called Ante Up & it only costs $10, so you all have no excuse not to check it out.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.