Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

This week's comics for 3-20-02

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-02, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This week's comics for 3-20-02

A very small week for me, I was even debating posting a thread about it. The week was so small I picked up some old comics also. Only read New X-men which I got last week so far. I picked up.

The Establishment #7 - A VERY underrated comic. An off beat superhero team book with a very Britich feel to it.

Daredevil #31 - D@mn I love Maleev's art, but come on Bendis, get to the point already. Every issue so far has been repeating what we already know.

Shadow Reavers #5 - I only got this b/c it was such a small week, I don't even remember what happened in this series.

Birds of Prey #41 -I'm probably one of a very few people that buy this b/c I actually like the book & the characters, so I'm pretty angry that this is yet another issue sidetracked by another Batman crossover.

Some old stuff. . .

Catwoman #1-4 - I read my friend's issue #1 & Darwyn Cooke's art amazed me, plus I really liked the fill in art he did on X-force a couple of issues ago.

Black Panter: Marvel Knights TPB - Every single customer in my store that reads this insists it is the best written comic being published. So I picked up the first 2 issues last week & I must say they writing was briliant. And the art was pretty amazing also. I always hated this character & made fun of the book. I HIGHLY recommend checking this book out. However, I only read the first 2 issues, which is why I bought the trade, so the book may go downhill after that.
Old 03-20-02, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
*********here's what i got this week*********

AMELIA RULES i can not say enough good things about this book. my only complant is that it's not monthy....buy this book!!!!

ROBIN 100 well, the king is gone.....chuck dixon's last issue. he had a great run of 100 issues, and he will be missed. he did a fantastic job on this book. i'll give the new writer a shot.

BUFFY..HUNTED #4 so-so ending of ok mini-series....

JSA #34 how good has this book been.....

NEW X-MEN 124 i cannot believe i am buying x-men again....thank you joey da q.....

DAREDEVIL #31 bendis is da man.....go brian go

ULTIMATE X-MEN #16 i hated the first story arc...but this book has gotten better and better.

BATMAN GOTHAM KNIGHTS #27 so-so story, great bolland cover.

PUNISHER #10 when is garth comign back?????? this story is ok, if it's a light week, pick it up

TRANSMET #54 i am going to cry when this book ends.... i want to be spider when i grow up!!!

HUNTER AGE OF MAGIC #9 this has been a break out series. it is worth checking out

JUST A PILGRAM #1 haven't read it yet, hope it's better then the first series.....i bought it out of respect of garth
Old 03-21-02, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I picked up the hard cover for Ultimate Spiderman. As most of you know I just got back into the scene and missed the first 15 or so Ultimate Spidermans.

And I was shocked to see how much a set of 1-10 were going for both locally and on Ebay.

The hard cover is amazing. The spider-man origin retold is such a great read, and anybody who doesnt have these already should pick this up for sure.
Old 03-21-02, 07:10 PM

as a friend of the writer of that book..... i sure he would say thanks for getting it and keep on reading.

i personally recomend anything by bendis.

check out his message board and let him know how much you like the spidey book. he's very proud of it.

http://www.comicscommunity.com/boards/bendis/
Old 03-21-02, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by RaptorsFan
I picked up the hard cover for Ultimate Spiderman. As most of you know I just got back into the scene and missed the first 15 or so Ultimate Spidermans.

And I was shocked to see how much a set of 1-10 were going for both locally and on Ebay.

The hard cover is amazing. The spider-man origin retold is such a great read, and anybody who doesnt have these already should pick this up for sure.
yeah when i saw that it was coming out as a HC i listed my copy of USM #4 and 4 and got $7 and $28 for them respectively-more then enough to pay for the HC and i can still sell the others too.
Old 03-22-02, 11:30 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by realsandman420
as a friend of the writer of that book..... i sure he would say thanks for getting it and keep on reading.

Tell him thanks for making me remember how much Spider-man kicks ass.
Old 03-25-02, 12:14 AM

Week's TPBs

Superheroes again this week:

X-Force: New Beginnings

Both the art and the writing in this book were very different than any superhero book I'd ever read. When I finished, I had to actually weigh how much of the book was genuinely interesting versus how much was pure shock value. I have to admit, my opinion wound up tilting toward the "shock value" side of the scale. The deaths, attitudes and events all felt a little too coreographed; at a time when many comic writers are making their characters seem natural, the style of this book felt outdated. I did enjoy the read enough to give the next book in the series a chance, though.

Starman: A Wicked Inclination

Starman is a book about nostalgia. The main character is a legacy superhero that owns an antique store. Robinson could just be making up all these Golden Age "facts," but I don't care. He has succeeded with the story the moment you begin to feel a connection with times past. Another very good read.

Planetary: The Fourth Man

I was certain that this title would weaken dramatically from the original volume. I was wrong. I still love the way Ellis is handling the main characters, and I even find the continuing plotline more fun than anticipated. My favorite of the week!

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 03-25-02 at 06:07 PM.
Old 03-25-02, 02:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Comics I picked up this week

- Lucifer #24 (one of the best titles out there, IMO)
- King David (haven't read it yet, but it's supposed to be great. From Vertigo)
- Peter Parker Spider-Man #41 (Paul Jenkins is a fantastic writer)

-Brian
Old 03-25-02, 06:09 PM

Bjacks,

I just picked up the first Lucifer trade and have been putting off reading it until I reread some of the Sandman stories. How important is it that I refresh my memory before beginning on the new series?
Old 03-25-02, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally posted by Al Infinitum
Bjacks,

I just picked up the first Lucifer trade and have been putting off reading it until I reread some of the Sandman stories. How important is it that I refresh my memory before beginning on the new series?
Not important at all. You'll know everything you need to know from reading the first trade. It's very accessible to people who have never even heard of the SANDMAN series. Mike Carey is very good at that. He's created a new world for his characters.

-Brian