Search
Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Comic book fans, what did you get today? 3-27-02

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-02, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Comic book fans, what did you get today? 3-27-02

A very big week for me today. Only read a couple of books so far, but I picked up. . .

The Incredible Hulk #38 - What an awesome cover. I feel bad for any comic fan not reading this book or reading it & not enjoying it (which doesn't seem possible). This is the best issue from the new creative team so far.

The Ultimates #3 - Can't wait to read this, the first 2 were like reading a large scale epic movie.

The Legion #6 - Another book that has just been incredible, & this coming from someone that has always hated the Legion.

Deadpool #65 - I haven't read DP in over 5 years, since McGuiness was on the book, but I loved the new Taskmaster mini-series & this is the same art team. The cover is awesome so I figure this should be a fun read.

Captain America: Dean Man Running #3 - Really enjoyed this series so far & it's the first Cap story I have ever read.

Wolverine #174

Cage #2 - Hopefully this will be better than the disapointing frist issue.

The Path #1 - I like the samurai genre. it's one of my favorites, but this book was a waste of my time. The colors are unnecesarily to dark, I have no feel for which character is which or who there names are & I could care less about them. Some people rave about them, but I've given every single crossgen title a shot & outside of Sojourn they don't do a thing for me.

Ruse #6 - I love Guice's art but I'm losing interest in this title, & the fill in artist on this issue doesn't help any. I'm giving this one more issue on whether I drop it or not.

Catwoman #5 - Yet another book I will drop after this issue unless it really blows me away. I pretty much only got the first 4 b/c I'm a big fan of Darwyn Cooke's art.

Captain Marvel #30

100 Bullets #34 - Every month I say I'm going to drop this book b/c I like reading the stories completely in trade format, but every month once I see the new issue on the shelves I can't resist getting it. Ohhhh the dilemas of a comic book geek

Elektra #8 - I cannot wait for the new art team to take over, & after seeing their work in the new Previews I REALLY cannot wait.

Trades:

Top Ten: Book Two (Hardcover) - I'm not saying it's his best, but after League Of Extraordinary Gentlemen this is my favorite work from Alan Moore. I love the hardcovers so this was a must buy for me.

And a reminder that comics ship next week on a Thurs. not Wed.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-28-02 at 10:48 AM.
Old 03-29-02, 10:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Week's TPBs

Normally, I hold my comments until everyone gets a chance to discuss the weeklies, so I'll keep this brief:

Incredible Hulk: Future Imperfect

I generally like Peter David's work on the Hulk, but this didn't really feel like a Hulk book to me. Any superhero could have as easily been put in the Hulk role here. Though it ends on a clever note, the trip there has too few inspired and engaging moments.

Batman Adventures, Batman: The Dark Knight Adventures and Batman Adventures: The Lost Years

Collecting Batman Adventures 1-6, 7-12 and the limited series of the same name.

As a big fan of Batman: Animated, I eagerly anticipated these books. When I began on the first volume I was a bit let down by the child proofing of the cartoon series. There are enough stories that do appeal to all ages, but the best issues were consistantly those that contained more mature elements. Worth the read, but doesn't qualify for shelf space. I still plan to give Gotham Adventures a try, if only to validate the rave reviews.

Box Office Poison

Well, it took me a while to get through this one, but I looked forward to it every time I opened the book. I don't have much in the way of specific comments, other than to recommend this highly.

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 03-29-02 at 10:50 AM.
Old 03-29-02, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Stopped by new store with some friends today & picked up 1 more new book.

The Complete Copybook Tales TPB - I cannot recommend this book enoudh. J. torres & Tim Levins(of Batman fame) were referencing the fun of the1980s way before it was the trendy thing to do, they did so for nostalgic sake b/c they were children of the 80's, not to make fun of it in a lame manner like That 80s show & so many other failed attempts these days. This book is a true labor of lover by J. Torres & Tim Levins & for any true fan of comics that remembers what it was like to go into a comic shop as a kid, or anyone in their early/mid 20s like myself who grew up in the 1980s this is a MUAT HAVE. the trade is by Oni Press, so you know the quality is good & it contains every single published work of Copybook Tales & even some unpublished ones.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-30-02 at 08:41 PM.
Old 03-29-02, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The Complete Copybook Tales TPB Here's another vote for this great series. I remember being very sad when issue 7 never showed up at my comic books store. I own all six issues, but happily bought the TPB for the mini-comics and the new story.

I also picked up 100 Bullets, JLA, Star Wars, The Ultimates, and Flash.

I would like to chime in for the Box Office Poison TPB. I collected the series from Antartic and loved it. I also bought some original artwork from Alex Robinson, who is a really nice guy.
Old 03-30-02, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
I frequently read these threads but am unable to contribute since I just order my comics online every three weeks & media mail takes about a week to arrive. i did get a lot of comics yesterday though, from the Big Apple Comic Con in NYC. I wonder who among the DVDTalkers here is a regular there as well. The con is smaller than national shows (heck, they hold it in the church basement - its in 59th & Columbus beside Fordham University) and much more cramped but there are deals to be found.

What I got: (off the top of my head)

The Establishment # 1-7 (50 cents each)
Peter Parker, Spider-Man # 35-39 ($1 each)
Promethea (12 issues) and Top Ten (5 issues) for $1 each
A Ton of Vertigo titles (50 cents each - the only Vertigos they didn't sell for 50 cents are 100 Bullets and Codename:Knockout)
Legion, Titans, Robin, Deadman, Superman titles, etc all for 50 cents (these are mid 2001 thru 2002 issues, & I was able to get significant runs of 5-8issues on most of them)
Power Company 1-shots (50 cents each)

What's Hot:
Marvel titles - Amazing Spider-Man, Hulk, Fantastic Four, Ult Spider-Man, Ult X-men, Wolverine, New X-men, Exiles
DC titles - JSA, Flash, Batgirl, Batman and Batman-related books (with the exception of Azrael & Robin)
Crossgen titles

I couldn't find any of these & if they were available it wasn't at decent prices.

What's Not:
Uncanny X-Men, JLA, Green Arrow - easily bought at the dollar bin.

For NY/NJ residents, next week there's a big show in Secaucus. See www.supermegashow.com for details.

Sessa17:
Can you give your review for Deadpool #65? I saw the image in Newsarama and my curiosity was piqued. Is the penciller for this issue Alvin Lee?

Also, who's gonna be the new penciler for Elektra? (I can't stomach Austen's art for this title)

Last edited by sinned; 03-30-02 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-30-02, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I too am interested in 'Pool #65 (nice cover!) and if Austin is really leaving Elektra, I might just have to try the book again (esp. since Rucka is writing now)
Old 03-30-02, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
not much.

Negative Exposure #4 (great Euro import)

Defiance #1 -- looks promising and nice artwork.

really looking forward to the next issue of @thena Inc. I can't get enough of Anacleto's artwork. BPRD #2 should be coming out in a week or two as well.

Really, where the heck is Red Star, Planetary, or any of those other books. I hate these delays.

Tuan Jim
Old 03-30-02, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sinned
I frequently read these threads but am unable to contribute since I just order my comics online every three weeks & media mail takes about a week to arrive. i did get a lot of comics yesterday though, from the Big Apple Comic Con in NYC. I wonder who among the DVDTalkers here is a regular there as well
I help work at a comic book store my friend owns & we usually have a booth at that show but we didn't even bother going this year b/c were saving up for the huge Wizard World expo in philly in May.

The Establishment # 1-7 (50 cents each)
Sinned, post any time you can, it's cool if it's not every week. WOW what a steal, I like Establishment a lot & think it's really underrated. A different twist on the team genre with a very british feel.

Sessa17:
Can you give your review for Deadpool #65? I saw the image in Newsarama and my curiosity was piqued. Is the penciller for this issue Alvin Lee?

Also, who's gonna be the new penciler for Elektra? (I can't stomach Austen's art for this title)
haven't had a chance to read Deadpool yet b/c I have been sidetracked by the greatness that is Copybook Tales, I wanted to just read the first story & no more but the book is just so good. I'll probably read DP tomorrow & post my thoughts then.

I really like the new Elektra storyline, Rucka is probably my favorite writer right now but Austin's art(I hate ot call it that) really brings the book down.

Here's a preview of page from an upcoming issue of Elektra by the artist that will be taking over. His name is Carlos Paglayan, he's a new artist. Much better than Chuck Austin's crap.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-30-02 at 07:36 PM.
Old 03-30-02, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
did the hulk - wolverine book come out this week.
the dale keon story.
Old 03-31-02, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Can't wait for the new Elektra artist!!!

Also, www.herorealm.com has a review up for DP #65 - it sounds good.

I had a chance this weekend to catch up on some stuff:

Incredible Hulk #38 - Never a Hulk fan before the "revamp." but after reading the interview about it in Wizard, I figured I'd give #34 a try. So far, its a great storyline #38 is prob. the best so far.

Taskmaster #1 & #2 - figured I'd pick these up after the rave reviews the past few threads and it was worth it. The art is terrific (manga) and while Taskmaster was previously one of the lamest villians ever, this mini is well written and quite fun.

Savage Dragon #95 - After one of the most confusing openings ever (a complete 180 from #94's ending), the issue "resolves" the conflict between Khan and the Dragon (at least, temporarily). The issue, though, was paced too fast at the beginning and the story was only about 18 pages long.

Tangled Web #12 (I Was a Teenage Frogman) - While not essential reading, its a fun tale about the son of Leapfrog and the humilation he endures after his father is freed from prison. The writer is Zebb Wells, who won the Wizard Video award.
Old 03-31-02, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by sinned
Sessa17:
Can you give your review for Deadpool #65? I saw the image in Newsarama and my curiosity was piqued. Is the penciller for this issue Alvin Lee?)
Havin a nice lazy easter Sunday so I finally got around to reading the new Deadpool & a few other books, here's some thoughts. . .

Deadpool #65 - I haven't read this book in about 5 years, since McGuiness was on it, so I know nothing about the continuity, I just picked this issue up b/c I really liked the new Taskmaster mini-series(who will be guesting in upcoming issues of Deadpool) & this is the same art team(yes the penciler is Alvin Lee, along w/ the rest of Udon) & the cover was awesome. That being said, this is a very enjoyable first issue by the new team, although not quite as good as Taskmaster. The book has a bit too much humor in it for my taste, but there are some genuinly funny lines in it. I did have problems with the issue though, too much humor, I didn't understand what exactly happened at the end, or why on earth Deadpool would bring a bum along with him as a sidekick. Regardless, the book much like Taskmaster(which everyone should pick up if they haven't already) is a flat out fun action packed read & after a 5 year absence of not even picking up this title to glance at it, while the new creative team stays on the book so will I.

Cage #2 - This could be 1 of the most disapointing books I've read in a long time. Corben's art is amazing, but being a huge fan of Azzerelo's 100 Bullets & Cage's resurgence in Alias, this book is such a let down. Very typical plot, I have no clue what the relationships between the characters are nor do I care about them.

100 Bullets #34 - This book, however, may actually be too good. This book just oozes perfect 1940's crime noir while being currently hip at the same time. Milo is the epitome of a gritty hard boiled character, I cannot wait to find out what role he plays in the greand scheme of things. And Risso's art is the most consistenly amazing work in all of comics.

Catwoman #5 - I completely planned on dropping this book, I don't like Batman, I'm not a fan of female characters as lead characters, & I only got the first 4 issues b/c of Darwyn Cooke's art & he now left the book. But this was a great issue, I liked the new art team & Slam Bradley is an engaging supporting character. Now I think I'll stick around for another.

Incredible hulk #38 - Oooooooohh.... this book is good....damn good. Samson rules. Best issue so far.

A little side note, my previous glowing praise of the Complete Copybook tales was based only on the first issue in the trade. I've read up to issue #3 now & while still enjoyable I'm very disapointed in the direction the book & some of the characters are taking. But this is only due to my very conservative/right wing views & things I don't like to see in comics, those that have read this book will know what I am refering to & I don't mean to offend anyone.

Last edited by Sessa17; 03-31-02 at 03:12 PM.
Old 04-01-02, 01:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by whotony
did the hulk - wolverine book come out this week.
the dale keon story.
No, but the Sam Keith Hulk/Wolverine book did. I believe the book you are talking about (with Peter David writing) is solicited for June.
Old 04-01-02, 02:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 601 Likes on 434 Posts
no my fault i did mean sam keith. did pt 2 come out or just pt 1.
Old 04-01-02, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Wow, that image by Carlos Paglayan looks much, much better than Austen's art. Can't wait!

I may take a flier on Deadpool #65.... I assume this will be the same creative team that will take over when Deadpool becomes Agent X?