Reload this Page >

This Week's Comics (9/20-9/26)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 09-20-01, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I haven't had time to read anything yet, but here's what I picked up today.

Daredevil #24 The storyline that would not die trudges along.

Ultimate Marvel Team-Up #7 -I'm not sure how much longer I'll be sticking with this title, but with Spiderman, Daredevil, and The Punisher, I'll be around at least until the end of this story arc.

The Dead Boy Detectives #4 - The final issue of this surprisingly good miniseries

Murder Me Dead #8 - Another great miniseries. The best news of all: An ad in the back for Stray Bullets, returning in November

JSA #28 - The best "team book" available right now. The last couple issues have been some of the best....no major plots, just a lot of character development...something rarely seen in a mainstream superhero title.

I also decided to put my hatred for Todd McFarlane aside (a hatred that is growing more and more with the recent controversy over Miracleman) and pick up the "Evil Ash" figure from his Movie Maniacs line. It's a great figure, and I was lucky enough to get the last one at my comic shop.

The "Today's CDs" threads in the Other forum always conclude with a music related "Question Of The Day". So, I figured we should have our own little Question Of The Week to get more conversation going here.

Question Of The Week:

We'll make it an easy one and ease ourselves into it.

What graphic novels (including original work, collections, and reprints) are, in your opinion, essential to any collection and why?

Off the top of my head (I'll add more later)....

Anything by Will Eisner - Hell, he invented the graphic novel!

Watchmen by Alan Moore - duh!

Miracleman by Alan Moore - Long out of print (curse you, Todd McFarlane!) and impossible to find individual issues. A powerful, frightening look at the next logical step for the genre. In my opinion. Moore's run on "Miracleman" is even better than "Watchmen".

Maus and Maus 2 by Art Spiegelman - actually used as a textbook in some college history courses.

Sandman - a wonderful mix of mythology and horror. "Seasons Of Mist" is my favorite storyline, but you really should have them all.

The Dark night Returns and Batman: Year One by Frank Miller - no explanation needed.

Saga Of The Swamp Thing by Alan Moore - groundbreaking and influential work.

Jimmy Corrigan: The Smartest Boy On Earth by Chris Ware - definitely worthy of the hype.

Cerebus - the ultimate indie. Start at the beginning and read through "Jaka's Story". After that, you're on your own.

jim
Old 09-20-01, 05:29 PM
Mod Emeritus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A couple of suggestions....

V for Vendetta
Invisibles &/or Shade the Changing Man (Vertigo)
Old 09-20-01, 05:42 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: A couple of suggestions....

Originally posted by benedict
Shade the Changing Man (Vertigo)
So, you're the other person that read "Shade, The Changing Man".

It was one of my favorite titles, but it never really caught on. Great work by Peter Milligan and a chance to see Chris Bachalo develop into a very talented artist.

I don't think that any of the issues are collected into graphic novel format. I have every issue, but I'd still buy the collections if they were offered.

By the way, is it just me, or does the cancer man from "Shade" seem like a possible basis for Cigarette Smoking Man from "The X-Files"?

jim
Old 09-20-01, 06:52 PM
Uber Member

Re: This Week's Comics (9/20-9/26)

What graphic novels (including original work, collections, and reprints) are, in your opinion, essential to any collection and why?
Matt Wagner for his first Mage series (Hero Discovered) and his Grendel character (Devil by the Deed and Warchild)

Hero Discovered:
Besides what I found to be a very well done retelling of the Aurthurian Legend, you can also see the amazing progress in ability of the artist from issue to issue. Comparing the first issue to the last is quite an amazing difference.

Grendel:
Well done portrayal of the different faces of evil. I picked the above two for their more widespread appeal, but the series that was done right after the story surrounding Christine Spar, which takes place in a present day/near future city dwelled on this point better if memory serves me correctly.

Sigh. I miss reading comics, sometimes.

Thanks for the suggestions, Jim.

-David
Old 09-20-01, 08:14 PM
Cool New Member

Re: This Week's Comics (9/20-9/26)

[QUOTE][i]Originally posted by Gamblor187

I also decided to put my hatred for Todd McFarlane aside (a hatred that is growing more and more with the recent controversy over Miracleman) and pick up the "Evil Ash" figure from his Movie Maniacs line. It's a great figure, and I was lucky enough to get the last one at my comic shop.[/QOUTE]

I share that hatred also & broke down & got the Robert Partrick T2 figure b/c it was so well down, the look on his face is exactly like the movie in that scene.

Anyway yesterday I picked up. . .

New X-men #117 - (Ships next week), BY FAR my favorite comic right now. Morrison's run has been absolutely BRILLIANT so far & this issue delivers yet again. Anyone still debating about what happend to Prof. X last issue gets all their questions answered in this one. Also some interesting things happen to the Beast. Ethan Van Scyver also does a nice fill-in job.

U.S. War Machine #2 - Never read an Iron Man comic in my life before this series, I still hate the character but for $1.50 it's a cool series. The covers alone make it worth it.

Birds Of Prey #35 - After 35 issues I think I just officially dropped this book, it was once one of the BEST books being published & had hands down the best art when Greg Land was on it, but the art is jsut awful now & w. Chuck Dixon leaving this book will probably get canelled soon.

The rest I haven't read yet. ..

Elektra #3 - I've enjoyed the series so far but it's nothing special, I really think Bendis is spreading himself out to much b/c his work outside of Powers is really suffering.

Daredevil #24 - Gamblor187, I can see why one would not like this story but I've enjoyed it so far, a little slow but I like how they handled what a tough position Matt is put in with this case.

Crux #6 - The only Crossgen book I read & really enjoy.

Cable #97 - This might as well be a new book. For anyone that likes Americn Century or a big Howard Chaykin or David Tischman fan they should really check the new Cable out.

Captain Marvel #23 - Flat out the most consistent book in every aspect being published month after month. Everything from the brilliant covers, to Chriss Cross's very detailed, crisp art, to David's always fun stories.

Also picked up a couple more issues of G.I. Joe #1 & Origin #1[/b] from my store as they are selling for almost $20 bucks a pop on ebay.

Question Of The Week:

Gamblor187 I assume yoy mean Trades not Graphic novels as none of those you listed are Graphic Novels?

Off hand these are the one's that stick out in my mind the most. This are some trades I truly belive are MUST haves. I can't fathom even not having any of them.

Kingdom Come - Hardcover if possible. Perhaps the most mesmerizingly beautiful comic or just story I have ever seen. I am not a huge Superman fan or a big D.C. fan but the Alex Ross's paintings bring the characters in this book alive. Definitely a must have.

Preacher: Gone To Texas - One of the most goriest, perveted yet flat out hillarious stories ever told & this is trade reprints the issues that started it all. Some of the most twisted yet truly engaging characters ever created get their beginning here.

Planetary: All Over the World & Other Stories - Just a comic book at it's best. Warren Ellis creates the secrets histories of the world that one could never imagine, yet he does.

Last edited by fooze; 09-20-01 at 08:17 PM.
Old 09-20-01, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Re: Re: This Week's Comics (9/20-9/26)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by fooze

Gamblor187 I assume yoy mean Trades not Graphic novels as none of those you listed are Graphic Novels?
Actually, I meant trades and graphic novels. That's why I specified "original works, collections, and reprints"

Also, most of Will Eisner's work outside of "The Spirit" consists of graphic novels. And I believe that "Maus" and "Maus 2" also qualify as graphic novels. I don't think that they are made up of previously published work, although I may be wrong.

Good call on "Planetary". I knew that I would forget a few. I hate to single out one book as the best out there, but "Planetary" (and "Transetropoloitan") are about as good as it gets.

Which reminds me that I also left out the "Transmetropolitan" TPBs as essentials.

jim
Old 09-20-01, 09:05 PM
Cool New Member

Re: Re: Re: This Week's Comics (9/20-9/26)

Originally posted by Gamblor187

Actually, I meant trades and graphic novels. That's why I specified "original works, collections, and reprints"

Also, most of Will Eisner's work outside of "The Spirit" consists of graphic novels. And I believe that "Maus" and "Maus 2" also qualify as graphic novels. I don't think that they are made up of previously published work, although I may be wrong.

jim
Yeah, your right about Maus. I only pointed that out about trades b/c a lot of people that that TPBs & Graphic Novel's are the same thing.

Also although I don't quite cosider them "essential" as I only reserce very few stories for that but 2 recent trades that are must reads if not must haves are:

100 Bullets: First Shot, Last Call - Gritty crime noir does not get any better than this. I actually think this book surpases Frank Miller's Sin City in this genre. This trade begins the series of what happens when a shattered soul is given 100 untraceable bullets to seek redemption on what's left of their lives.

Top Ten - Don't know the name of the trade but it jsut came out & reprints the first 6 issues of this amazing series. Most will say Watchmen but I truly believe this is Alan Moore's best work. The art is just amazing w/ constant jokes hidden in the background & the story is hillarious yet at times truly dramatic as well.
Old 09-21-01, 12:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Okay, I'll bite.

What has McFarlane done to the Miracleman comics?

I've been enjoying Ultimate X-Men, and The Punisher.
Bought The Incredible Hulk#31 and I'd like to know why there is mention of 3 Hulks.Anyone like to answer what's been going on with Ol' Greenskin in the past year, or years?
Just A Pilgrim is another short series that I liked.
The first issue of Adventures Of The Rifle Brigade:Bollock has fallen flat IMHO.Didn't find it interesting, or funny and Ennis can usually make me laugh(and sometimes cringe at the same time)
Startling Stories from Marvel is awesome.Richard Corben's bizzare artwork is appealing to me.Didn't he do some stuff in Heavy Metal, Creepy, Eerie, and Vampirella?
You know who I'd like to see do a superhero comic? S Clay Wilson. Man, that'd be one no holds barred comic
Old 09-21-01, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally posted by smokedragon
Okay, I'll bite.

What has McFarlane done to the Miracleman comics?

I think he owns the rights to the series, but besides putting MM into Hellspawn, he hasn't done anything with it. I think the rights are all mixed up between him and Gaiman, though I could have it all wrong. Gaiman and McFarlane certainly aren't friends, because of something to do with Angela (from Spawn).

Originally posted by smokedragon
The Incredible Hulk#31 and I'd like to know why there is mention of 3 Hulks.Anyone like to answer what's been going on with Ol' Greenskin in the past year, or years?
I am by no means a Hulk fan, but what I've picked up is:
1) The Original Green Hulk (the angry, non-smart one)
2) The Grey, Mr. Fixit Hulk (the smart one)
3) The combo of the above two (green, smart) which Dr. Sampson brought out in therapy

Again, that might be wrong

I too am enjoying Startling Stories and I liked Just a Pilgrim. I thought Operation Bullock #1 was ok, so I tracked down the first Rifle Brigade series, and I wasn't all *that* impressed.

Anyone checked out Ennis's new "War Story" one-shot?
Old 09-22-01, 01:34 PM

Since there are such a limited number of titles typically mentioned when the topic "essential graphic novels (or TPBs)" comes up, I'm shocked no one has mentioned:

Marvels - there are so few graphic novels that stand out dealing with characters from the "Marvel Universe," it seems appropriate that the most significant bears this name. A bit awkward at points - for a "real life" account of superheroes, this didn't make the bigotry against mutants any less absurd - I still quite enjoyed the story by Busiek.

Astro City - and this is where Busiek really developed essentially the same idea. Though these TPBs have been in a steady decline, even at their worst, they far excel 99% of the stuff out there.

Understanding Comics - this book held great appeal for me despite the fact that I'm neither an artist, nor am I interested in the comics industry. I still hold it in high regard, and forgive McCloud for coining the term "sequential art," used widely by those too embarrased to admit that they are still comic books.

I have not yet read Transmetropolitian nor Planetary, though I do plan to give them a go.

I'm a sometimes fan of Moore, though his best stories suffer a fatal flaw of coming slightly undone before they are able to reach their conclusions (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing).

I tend to only like Miller when he's working on Batman (Dark Knight,Year One), he has a real knack for the character that I haven't seen in my limited exposure to his other work.

Gaiman was a king in the land of comics (Sandman, Mr. Punch, Violent Cases, Books of Magic, Black Orchid) and I hope someday his novels are able to develop beyond the point that it's a shame they aren't graphic novels.

Spiegelman's Maus was surprisingly good, and I also quite liked his interpretation of the novel City of Glass; surprisingly I haven't yet gotten around to reading Maus 2.

Perhaps next week we can really get the conversation boiling with a tribute to "overrated graphic novels (or TPBs)." I have a few nominations in mind, as I'm sure all but the greatest pacifists do.

Last edited by Al Infinitum; 09-22-01 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-22-01, 06:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by Al Infinitum
[I have not yet read Transmetropolitian nor Planetary, though I do plan to give them a go.

I'm a sometimes fan of Moore, though his best stories suffer a fatal flaw of coming slightly undone before they are able to reach their conclusions (Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Swamp Thing).

I tend to only like Miller when he's working on Batman (Dark Knight,Year Once), he has a real knack for the character that I haven't seen in my limited exposure to his other work.

Perhaps next week we can really get the conversation boiling with a tribute to "overrated graphic novels (or TPBs)." I have a few nominations in mind, as I'm sure all but the greatest pacifists do. [/B]
I feel the exact same way about Alan Moore. You should really check out his new trade. Top Ten: Book One - It is absolutely brilliant with an extremely large cast that he manages to flesh every character out so well, it is really as if you know them by the end. The book has various interweaving plot-lines going on all the time & the amazing part of the book is he raps everyone of them up, & very satisfyingly so. It's a must read.

I also feel the same way about Miller except w/ a different character. Daredevil. All of his stuff to me outside of his work on Batman & Daredevil. Especially Ronin & Sin City to an extent are major works that I consider fall into the "Overrated" category.
Old 09-22-01, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Perhaps next week we can really get the conversation boiling with a tribute to "overrated graphic novels (or TPBs)." I have a few nominations in mind, as I'm sure all but the greatest pacifists do.
Sounds like a good idea. (I already have one title that immediately comes to mind.) I will make it "Question Of The Week" in the next thread. So, everyone put some thought into it. Perhaps it will start a good conversation/debate. I only ask that we keep the disagreements from getting out of hand. Some of us comicbooks geeks can be a but vocal about our likes and dislikes.

jim
Old 09-23-01, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
Other essential graphic novels.

CEREBUS -- at least "High Society" and the "Church and State" books. The book has since dropped off in quality, and Sim has gotten to be somewhat... well, you know if you read CEREBUS.

LOVE & ROCKETS -- Fifteen volumes, reprinting the entire fifty issue comics series. Essential.

GRENDEL -- Hopefully Dark Horse will get in gear and reprint the rest of the Comico run.

HELLBLAZER -- DC has a spotty record of reprinting this title. Wish they'd get in gear and start reprinting the rest of the Delano and Ennis runs.

DOOM PATROL -- Early signs of Grant Morrison's genius. Only TPB so far, which left out pages from the original comics, and his since gone out of print.

ANIMAL MAN -- More early Morrison essentials.

And I'll second SANDMAN, PREACHER, WATCHMEN, V FOR VENDETTA, PLANETARY, TRANSMETROPOLITAN, INVISIBLES, and SHADE (no TPBs yet, though).
Old 09-23-01, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,721 Likes on 1,878 Posts
And speaking of MIRACLEMAN...

It might be possible that we'll be seeing Marvel reprinting the MIRACLEMAN series (under its original British title, MARVELMAN). Nothing has been officially announced yet, but there are rumors flying around.

Apparently, Neil Gaiman has all of the original film for the series, which was sent to him by Eclipse Comics after they went under. And, if the rumors are to believed, the "new" Marvel under the leadership of Joe Quesada has been in talks with Gaiman to republish MIRACLEMAN.
Old 09-23-01, 09:46 AM
Mod Emeritus

As it happens, although not a big comic collector, I have both the original b&w Marvel/Miracleman strips from Warrior and the colo(u)r reprints and continuations from Eclipse.

Any Marvel tie-in would be good because it seems fairly clear that those rights not already owned by Gaiman were promised to him by McFarlane who later reneged and more or less said "so sue me"!

With even the slimmed-down Marvel I think McFarlane would hesitate in attempting to back out of his apparent deal with Gaiman. For more details on this you need to check out Comic International magazine from several months ago when a weary Gaiman looked to be throwing in the towel. Unfortunately they don't seem to include much of the editorial material on their site: link

Of course, I'll believe the Marvel tie-in this when I see it!
Old 09-25-01, 01:38 PM

Originally posted by Sessa17

I feel the exact same way about Alan Moore. You should really check out his new trade. Top Ten: Book One...

I also feel the same way about Miller except w/ a different character. Daredevil...
Thanks for these recommendations, I'll definitely try both of these out and let you know my thoughts. I'm wondering if you have any more specific choices from Miller's work on Daredevil? Either a 'cream of the crop' or a 'starting point' selection would be much appreciated, since I'm planning to order some graphic novels from Amazon this week.
Old 09-25-01, 04:48 PM
MrN

Thanks for these recommendations, I'll definitely try both of these out and let you know my thoughts. I'm wondering if you have any more specific choices from Miller's work on Daredevil? Either a 'cream of the crop' or a 'starting point' selection would be much appreciated, since I'm planning to order some graphic novels from Amazon this week.
Miller's starting point is finally available in the visionaries series.

Daredevil (Frank Miller) Volume 1

Volume two is even better, containing most of the Elektra/Bullseye arc.
Volume Two

Volume Three is coming out in november. I'm not entirely sure what's in it. Here's the link anyway.

I think his best Daredevil is the Born Again arc.

Anyway, some more essential GNs/TPBs:

300 by Frank Miller
Lone Wolf & Cub
Akira
From Hell by Alan Moore & Eddie Campbell
Torso by Brian Micheal Bendis

Last edited by MrN; 09-25-01 at 05:03 PM.
Old 09-25-01, 08:25 PM

I really enjoyed Daredevil Visionaries: Frank Miller Vol 2 more than I did Vol 1...and I loved Born Again (The TPB is OOP, though I imagine it will be reprinted).

Unlike other people, I love all his Sin City Stuff that I've read (Sin City, Dame to Kill For, That Yellow B@st@rd, Hell & Back). I 2nd or 3rd his Batman Stuff (Dark Knight Returns,Year One). I don't think anyone mentioned 300 - its a really expensive HC, but you can find the individual issues rather cheap. I liked that as well.

Other TPBs I loved (most already mentioned):
Preacher
Tom Strong
Transmetropolitan
100 Bullets
Watchmen
Powers
Torso
Old 09-26-01, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Like others have posted go for the 2 main Miller Daredevil Visionaries trades & I also agree w/ them that the second one is better but they are both incredible, although I may be a little bias a s I am a huge DD fan. Also definitely check out Miller's Daredevil: Man Without Fear trade that retells his origin. If you ever check out those other trades, especially Top Ten post what you think.