This Week's Comics (9/13-9/19)

Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Old 09-13-01, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here's what I got and why:

No real comments because I haven't had a chance to read any of them yet.

The Authority #26 - Illustrated by Dustin "21 Jump Street" Nguyen!

Ultimate X-Men #9

Fury #1 - I haven't cared for anything that Garth Ennis has done since his run on "Hellblazer". (Yes, I'm one of the dozen or so comics fans that truly despised "Preacher".) But a revamp of the Nick Fury character is long overdue and holds some potential, so I'm giving this a shot.

The Flash: Secret Files Origins #3 - Like just about everyone else, I loved "Iron Heights". I'm gonna start tracking down the Geoff Johns backissues. (Anyone know what issue he started with?) I usually stay away from these "Secret Origins" specials, but I figured it would bring me up to date on the monthly title.

Transmetropolitan #49 - Year Five of my favorite monthly book begins. Sadly, it's the beginning of the end for this title.

jim
Old 09-13-01, 07:48 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I got these this week - I'll post more comments on the other titles later on:

GI JOE #1 - I'm a child of the 80's, so when Wizard ran the feature awhile back about bringing the 80's to comics today (Transformers, Voltron, He-Man, GI JOE), I was excited and when GI JOE #1 was announced, I marked the day on my calendar. Well, its here - and the cover (by Campbell) is AWESOME! However, I had mixed feelings on the issue itself. The art, though not by Campbell, is very Campbell-esque...though the artist doesn't seem to draw faces very well (IMO) - he gets Cobra Commander right, but thats about it. The storyline is fairly cool (Cobra Commander is sighted in the US in Dreadnok territory and GI JOE is reactivated with lots of the old Joes being called in), and I look forward to the next issue...but it wasn't as good as I had hoped.

Danger Girl: Kamikaze #1 (of 2) - I've only read a few of the Danger Girl Comics (Preview, #1, #4), but I picked it up coz I liked what I had read previously. Its very manga-esque and its a decent story with some cool art. The Danger Girls (Natasha, Sydney, and Abbey) take a back seat in the story, as the first part focuses on Valerie (the computer girl), though they come in at the end. The plot is something about them trying to track down some old Japanese weapon of mass destruction that was lost in WW2 on some island.

Fury #1 - Very good. Fury tries to cope with his place in the new "SHIELD," which is basically run by bureaucrats. Fury, given the freedom of the MAX Line, is much more of a hard@$$, though its all in character (this is the same Fury you're used to, uncensored).

US War Machine #1 - Um. I really wanted to like the book (its black and white, written and with art by Chuck Austin (?), but it was WAAAAY too confusing (especially when War Machine flips the truck) in the art. The plot is equally mysterious (who is in the armor?), but really, I have no idea how this is supposed to fit in with current Iron Man continuity (I don't think its supposed to).

Transmetropolitan #49
Ultimate X-Men #9
Sojourn #3
Punisher #4
Iron Man #46
Old 09-13-01, 11:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Well, my local comic book store (Chameleon Comics & Cards) was about 100 feet away from the World Trade Center, and it doesn't look like they are going to be open anytime soon. Thankfully, they usually open at around 10:00-10:30 so they escaped any potential injury.

Looks like I'll have to buy my comics sight unseen from now on.

LiquidDeath, that online comics retailer that you recommended to me, do you remember if they ship via USPS or UPS? Need to know since nobody will be around to accept it if it is via UPS. Thanks in advance.
Old 09-14-01, 07:39 AM

If its ECC, then they ship media mail USPS.
Newcomix ships priority USPS.

If this isn't what you wanted to know, just email me and I'll get back to you tonight
Old 09-14-01, 12:14 PM
Cool New Member

Here's my pile I picked up this week. I've only had a chance to read 3 of them so far so here is what I got. . .

Nightwing #61 - I have every issue of this series so far & I thought for a long time it was one of THE best comics anywhere but it has really gone down hill since Greg Land left. Horrible art that ruins such a great, great character. Now that Chuck Dixon is leaving also I'm afraid this book will take a turn for the worst.

Cyclops #2 - Well I'm a die-hard X-men fan, they are my all-time favorites & unless you are one also then stay away from this mini-series. So far these X-men Icon series suck, the art is unbearable (I always hated Texeria's work) & the story is just one of those bland, pointless stories that doesn't need to be told..

G.I. Joe #1 - I felt the same way you did Liquid Death before this book came out, I have a near full run of the original comic even w/ the very hard to fing issues, but I too was a little dissapointed in this, art wise I disagree w/ you on being Campell-esque, I did not think it was like his work at all but rather an exact clone of Bart Sears work, I swore Sears even drew a couple of panels.

U.S. War Machine #1 - I always hated Iron Man & I have never bought a comic w/ him in it before but I figured for $1.50 what the hell. It was a waste of $1.50, confusing story & even more confusing art.

Haven't read the rest yet. . .

Fury #1 - Well I haven't been a fan of Ennis's work since Hitman, & actually thought everything he's done since then has been awful, but Fury is a great character.

X-treme X-men #6 - I can't stress enough how great this book is & Lorroca has become my new favorite artist, perhaps the best cover I have seen all year on a comic.

Shadow Reavers #2 - A new series that nobody is reading but should.

Ultimate X-men #9 - I really don't like this book that much but this issue features Ultimate Nick Fury taking center stage & he is black & cool.

Sojourn #3 - Greg Land was my favorite artist for a long time but the first 2 issues have been very dissapointing so far, extremely cliched.

the Authority #26 - I have been very dissapointed w/ this new creative team so far. I hope this issue is an improvement.
Old 09-14-01, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts
Liquid Death, that was the exact info (ECC) that I needed, thanks so much!

I'm surprised no one has commented on THE ESTABLISHMENT #1 yet.
Old 09-14-01, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally posted by sinned

I'm surprised no one has commented on THE ESTABLISHMENT #1 yet.
I'd like to hear comments on "The Establishment". I glanced through it, but after the disappointing "Jenny Sparks" miniseries and the horrendous "The Monarchy" I think I've been scared away from any other Authority "spin-offs". If I hear good things, I may give it a chance.

jim
Old 09-14-01, 05:14 PM

scifi.ign.com has a review on the Establishment (positive) and if my comic store still has any copies next week, I might pick it up...but to be honest, I already buy too many comics

Here's a direct link:
http://scifi.ign.com/comics/7532.html