Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Taking another try at the Comic Book world.

Old 06-11-01, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

After 13 years away from being a steady reader I signed up for a membership at a local comic store (10% discount that way) and have started to plunge in again. I have started slow with the Green Arrow and the Avengers.

One thing that is bothering me about todays comics is the artwork. Many of the books I looked at were just unreadable do to the stupid artwork. Ultimate Marvel Team Up, Thor and the Defenders for one example. Can't people draw comics without making the characters look stupid and unnatural. I know its a big deal for every artist to be unique, but I will take the 80's style drawing any day over the goofy artwork in the Defenders and Thor. Artists like John Byrne and Todd Macfarlane were able to draw in an unique style and still have their characters look natural.

Anyway my dumb gripes aside it was nice to read comics again. I like what Kevin Smith is doing with the Green Arrow. Anyone have suggestions for other comic series that are worth trying?
Old 06-11-01, 09:51 PM

Well, in my opinion, Todd McFarlane drew the most unnatural faces ever.

But aside from that, maybe my tastes have changed, but I barely even pay attention to the quality of the art anymore. I certainly don't buy books because of artists. I like the stories because of the writers.

Weird, huh?
Old 06-11-01, 09:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Nice to see someone getting back into comics. I too left them for awhile about 6 years & then 2 buddies of mine bought out a local comic store. In my opinion comics are probably better than they have ever been & there are some fantastic artists working right now(Greg Land, Bryan Hitch, Ed McGuiness, Humberto Ramos to name a few) but it is really the writing that is superior to the past. You just happened to pick up some bad books, especially Defenders it looks like a little kid drew it. Anyone here is some stuff you you should really check out based on just those 2 books you listed, you should post what you use to read & the art on Avengers is by one of my all-time favs Alan Davis.

JLA - This title has been amazing, take the biggest super heroes in the DC universe, Superman, Batman, GL, WonderWoman, Flash,Aquaman, Plastic Man, Martian Manhunter & put them together & you get probably the greatest team book in the last decade. See if you can get the trades to get caught. the art is pretty good but Mark Waid has written some amazing stories such as making Batman a trader & after 50+ years of history having Batman reveal his secret identity to the rest of the JLA.

Superman - Not the other 5 titles but just Superman. I dare you to pick up 1 issue & say the art is bad. Ed McGuiness is amazing.

Fatanstic Four - Another book w/ amazing art, I really think you will like it & Jeph Lobe is a fantastic writer.

I'm an X-men fanatic so I reccomend all of their books as they have just been relaunched by some of the best writers in the business.

Batgirl - Even if your not a Batman fan this is a great book starring a new Batgirl who is a teenager who has lost her ability to speak & was trained to be the greatest killer ever from birth. Really cool stuff.

If your an Avengers fan you should try to pick up the Avengers Forever trade(I'm also selling the entire run on ebay right now:shameless plug ) Brilliant art by Carlos Pacheco, the guy that's doing Fantastic Four & the whole point of the series was so fix & explain the complex continuity of the Avengers.

I could reccommend plenty more but I really don't think you'd be dissapointed in any of those.

Oh yeah, how can I forgot perhaps the greatest comic book story ever written. PREACHER- If you haven't read it all ready it is mandatory you by every trade. Brilliant is an understatement how good the series is.

[Edited by Sessa17 on 06-11-01 at 06:55 PM]
Old 06-12-01, 07:00 AM

I'm 35 years old and have been away from comics for probably 20 years now. I have a four year son and I've thought about getting back into it a bit. Just another way to bond with him.

My main problem with comics is the price. I last remember paying around 25 cents and now the current price for several Marvel titles appears to be $2.25 an issue. My wife buys Star Wars titles from Dark Horse and they run about $2.99 or so an issue. I keep trying to think of anything else in the literary world that has gone up that much in price (almost 10 fold)in the same amount of time. I realize the overall quality of the comic is probably better, but geez, it's still only a few pages long.

For those of you that have been collecting regularly, what's the scoop? Why such a high price?
Old 06-12-01, 12:54 PM

You'll hear all kinds of reasons but the biggest reason was back in the early nineties when artists and writers were being signed to exclusive, royalty rich contracts. But you can also factor in the cost of paper and since Diamond is the only distributor, they set the profit margins by what they charge retailers and publishers alike. But the bottom line is that comic creators gotta eat to. Especially artists. It's not unheard of writers doing more than one book a month, but artists just can't. Anyway, my two cents.
Old 06-12-01, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by pelenor
You'll hear all kinds of reasons but the biggest reason was back in the early nineties when artists and writers were being signed to exclusive, royalty rich contracts. But you can also factor in the cost of paper and since Diamond is the only distributor, they set the profit margins by what they charge retailers and publishers alike. But the bottom line is that comic creators gotta eat to. Especially artists. It's not unheard of writers doing more than one book a month, but artists just can't. Anyway, my two cents.

Although wrong about the cost of papers & making the book, you hit the nail right on the head w/ Diamond. The cost of actually putting the book together is nothing, many comics now use the glossy pages which look nicer but it really doesn't cost much more, Diamond has a monopoly & exclusive contracts w/ the big companies for their solicitations, the more they charge the big companies, the more the big companies will charge us. I think it stinks the most for kids, which is why sales have gone down so much in the past decade or so, but it really doesn't bother me that much, look at gas, going to a movie, etc. the price goes up on everything, granted I get my comics mostly for free, but now that I'm reading them again I'd probably pay if I had to anyway.
Old 06-12-01, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Checked out the suggestions above and was impressed by all of them. JLA and Batgirl were really good choices. Thats for the info. I hope the rumors of a JLA and Avengers crossover is true.
Old 06-12-01, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

If you want some non-cookie-cutter-Image-imitation art, then I'd suggest checking out Detective Comics and The Flash. Definitely non-traditional, yet strangely compelling. Also, the writers for both books are very good.
Old 07-06-01, 04:03 PM
Cool New Member

I recently opened up my own online comic book store, (www.m2comics.com). We specialize in new comics, toys and collectibles and we offer them at discounts of at least 20%. For those of us with families, that 20% can be the difference between reading 2 titles per month and 3 titles per month. Anyway, check out the site and drop me a line if you're interested in anything.
Just for the record, here is what I'm currently reading and they're all worth every penny for story and art:

Rising Stars
Midnight Nation
Amazing Spider-Man
Peter-Parker Spider-Man
Green Arrow
Daredevil
Avengers
Spider-Girl
Old 07-06-01, 04:25 PM

Some questions:
1. Are any of my old comic books worth anything?
http://www.yurkovic.com/comics.html
I mean, I got basically the entire first season of Alf, for goodness sakes! That must be worth hundreds right there, right?
2. Can you just pick up a series in the middle and still enjoy it? Can I pick up the newest, say, Spiderman and follow the story or do I need to start from the beginning?
Old 07-06-01, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Funk
Some questions:
1. Are any of my old comic books worth anything?
http://www.yurkovic.com/comics.html
I mean, I got basically the entire first season of Alf, for goodness sakes! That must be worth hundreds right there, right?
2. Can you just pick up a series in the middle and still enjoy it? Can I pick up the newest, say, Spiderman and follow the story or do I need to start from the beginning?
i don't have a price guide but i don't think that your comics are worth that much. most of those series are either new or were made in the heyday when average print runs were humongous. therefore, there are a lot of those out there. some of your issues of the hulk might be worth something and if your issues of tmnt were from the original mirage series, they might be worth something. otherwise, you may just want to wait a bit.

as for picking up a series in the middle, i find that you can do that with some of the more popular series like spiderman but x-men. generally, they seem to reintroduce the characters every few issues so you can get a little more background on them if you don't recognize some of them.
Old 07-15-01, 12:25 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

while not being old enough to remember .25 comics, when i first started, they were .60. i thought that things were bad when they went up to 1.00. on top of that, i only get a 10% discount now as that is the best in the limited area of waco. ahhh, how i wish for the old days of my 40% discount in houston. a

anyway, i recently got started on the authority after reading many many good things about it. seeing as how i couldn't afford the originals, i highly recommend the TPB's. also, the batman family of titles are usually consistantly a good read too.
Old 07-19-01, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Posted by Sessa17
Oh yeah, how can I forgot perhaps the greatest comic book story ever written. PREACHER- If you haven't read it all ready it is
Damn Straight.
Old 07-22-01, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I personally love Erik Larsen's artwork (Defenders, Savage Dragon), but to each his own. Other comics I enjoy are:

Violent Messiahs
Spyboy
Midnight Nation
Rising Stars
Amaz. Spiderman
Peter Parker, Spiderman
Ult. X-Men
Ult. Spiderman
Daredevil
Punisher
Transmetropolitan
100 Bullets

And I also agree with the "Preacher" and "Authority" recommendations - they are AWESOME!
Old 07-26-01, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have been out of collecting comics for a while, but I still keep up on reviews every week. Thank God for the Internet! . I have contemplated going out to buy the new Joker mini-series THE LAST LAUGH coming out in October. You can read all about it at The World's Finest. It looks awesome. Comics have become too expensive in this day and age for me.

As for people wondering how much their comics are, a good on-line source (and bidding place) is www.wizardworld.com. I came upon that site a few weeks ago and it is amazing how much some of my comics are. Hope that helps.
Old 08-02-01, 02:08 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally posted by John-In-VA
I'm 35 years old and have been away from comics for probably 20 years now. I have a four year son and I've thought about getting back into it a bit. Just another way to bond with him.

My main problem with comics is the price. I last remember paying around 25 cents and now the current price for several Marvel titles appears to be $2.25 an issue.
I agree with you on the price. I'm way late in replying to this but have you looked for comic book shops in your area? I haven't bought any comics with any regularity in a few years, but I was for awhile going & scavenging the cheap stuff. Some of the hyped books would sell out, but I found some stores that would sell off their remaining copies of recent books for $.50 & sometimes $.25. If you didn't mind waiting 2-4 months for your issue, you could still find a lot of decent stuff with well known characters like X-Men, Batman, Spider-man, etc. Sounds like a good way to get some nice pictures for your son to flip through - & you'll be able to save money to buy him all of the superhero action figures.
Old 08-03-01, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I agree about the price which is why I mainly buy graphic novels and collections. Unfortunately, this means that I don't buy every month but wait every 6 or 7 months and then see what comes out.

As for suggestions, you might wanna give "The Adventures of Bone" a try. Its not a superhero comics but more of a fantasy comic. It looks very disney-ish but it definitely isn't. I think that it's a book that both adults and kids can enjoy.