Comic Book Talk The Place to talk about Comics

Thoughts on the X-Men reboots?

Old 05-20-01, 09:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I have to admit - I don't follow the X-Men books regularly, though I try to pick up the occasional TPB - I do love the characters, its just hard to follow everything Anyhow, since the whole X-men line is being rebooted, I figured I'd give them a try, especially since I'm really enjoying Ult. X-Men. I thought Unc. X-Men #394 was really good but X-Treme X-Men #1 was really...confusing & strange...I know I must've missed something, but I don't think I'll stick around for #2. And does anyone else prefer the Jim Lee Psylocke (the bad @$$ ninja chick) as opposed to this new tamer version...(in Xtreme XMen)?
Old 05-22-01, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.
I'm confused aswell about all the new x-titles.

Where the hell does gambit fit in all this?
Old 05-23-01, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally posted by Liquid Death
And does anyone else prefer the Jim Lee Psylocke (the bad @$$ ninja chick) as opposed to this new tamer version...(in Xtreme XMen)?
personally, i prefer any of the badass jim lee drawn characters to a lot of the newer versions
Old 05-23-01, 08:19 PM

Originally posted by Jackskeleton
I'm confused aswell about all the new x-titles.

Where the hell does gambit fit in all this?
I have no idea, as he wasn't in Xtreme and I don't remember him in Uncanny. I haven't read X-Force or New X-Men (yet), but I don't recall seeing him on the covers/press releases...

Ultimate X-Men, though, rocks (no gambit there either tho!)
Old 05-23-01, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I am an expert at all the X-men related....

I left the books for about 4 years but since I now have a friend that co-owns a comic store I am once again an expert on the X-men.

So far I am minorly dissapointed yet extremely interested. Here's what I think so far about the main revamps.

Uncanny X-men - Although it's t early to tell on all these books since only 1 issue has come out, but this is the title I am the most dissapointed in. Art wise it looks to much like Liefeld(which is the worst possible thing), & Warp Savant was a pretty lame villain w/ an even lamer power. But there is hope as this is the title w/ 2 of my favorite characters in Angel & Iceman

New X-men - Ignoring the name this is by far the most interesting of all the books, plus it will have my favorite character in Nightcrawler on it, but it does not feel like an X-men book but like the Authority. very dark & violent. Although Morrison really is ignoring continuity, he has brought an awesome idea w/ the new sentinels & a possible great villain in Ms. Nova. If anyone read his run on JLA they new how insane he is going to make this book. The art however is awful.

X-treme X-men - This is my favorite so far, I guess it's for the old school fans w/ claremont writing & Loracca's art was great without any inks. A little stupid though as to why they are getting attacked all of a sudden

X-Force - Just picked it up today, haven't read it yet but it looks awful.

Wolverine - I hate wolverine so I don't read it, I also really hate the fact that he is on 2 teams.

Ultimate X-men - I hate this book. Yeah it's really popular & I guess good for new readers but it completely sucks. First off the whole point of the books is a retake on the origin of the X-men, yet all the characters basically have the same attitudes, they are still fighting the same old archnemesis in Magneto(I mean could they use a different villain already) & 6 issues into the book & it has been nothing but a non stop fight w/ no character interaction. Plus to me it lessens the fact that Colusses is dead the in regular X- world but you can go & see him in Ultimate. And the writing is awful & tries to be to hip.
Also The Brotherhood & the Exiles haven't even come out yet.

The cool part is characters are actually dying now & that never happened & Morrison says in his second issue of New X-men he kills more characters than have ever died in the history of X-men, is one of the Gambit?

No, he is suppose to appear in the 3rd issue of X-treme X-men with a new twist(possibly a villain?) I hope so.

[Edited by Sessa17 on 05-23-01 at 07:27 PM]
Old 05-24-01, 06:18 AM

I dunno...I like Ult X-Men coz its extremely accessible and allows me to enjoy the characters without 30+ years of baggage. They are very familiar, as you pointed out, but I don't find that to be a drawback
Old 05-24-01, 06:26 AM

What is Morrison's first name? Is it the same Grant Morrison from The Invisibles? If so, I think I should start reading X-Men again.
Old 05-24-01, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally posted by junkie
What is Morrison's first name? Is it the same Grant Morrison from The Invisibles? If so, I think I should start reading X-Men again.
Yes indeed that is the same Grant Morrison of the classice Invisibles & recently made JLA cool again. You should definitely check out his X-book.