PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: What Are You Reading? 2022

Just finished:

Old 03-03-22, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Finished the Dark Tower Book VII and so ends the cycle of the Tower for the moment.

Reading Insomnia By King now as it's supposed to be tied to the Tower series, I've read it a few times but not sure I will stick with it this time as its a long one and I have it as an Epub which I dont like much on the kindle app.
Old 03-03-22, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Finished:

Old 03-04-22, 12:53 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer/Moderator

Location: Formerly known as L. Ron zyzzle - On a cloud of Judgement
Received 1,832 Likes on 1,228 Posts

Fool's Assassin- 1st book in the 3rd Fitz and The Fool trilogy, or book 14 of 16 in the Elderling series by Robin Hobb. I've almost universally loved every book so far, but goddamn the Fitz books are straight crack cocaine.
Old 03-05-22, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 603 Likes on 349 Posts

It took almost a month, but I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 last night. Really, really enjoyed it - especially for being my first King book. I will, no doubt, be looking for other King recommendations.
Old 03-07-22, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 221 Likes on 177 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Fool's Assassin- 1st book in the 3rd Fitz and The Fool trilogy, or book 14 of 16 in the Elderling series by Robin Hobb. I've almost universally loved every book so far, but goddamn the Fitz books are straight crack cocaine.
You're in the home stretch now. Since I typically only get time to read at night before bed, I willfully sacrificed many hours of sleep during the last 3 books. Especially the final book. If I didn't have kids, I probably would have just taken a few days off from work to read it straight through. It's awesome how it all comes together.
Old 03-07-22, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 35 Likes on 31 Posts

Just started:

Old 03-07-22, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pointyskull
Just started:

I'll be curious about what you think about this. I read it last year and found it wildly unfulfilling.
The following users liked this post:
Pointyskull (03-08-22)
Old 03-08-22, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Finished:

Old 03-09-22, 08:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Bronkster
I'll be curious about what you think about this. I read it last year and found it wildly unfulfilling.
I liked it quite a bit. Went into this one completely blind - based solely on a family member's recommendation.
I know I could nitpick Alam's thesaurus-y word choices, but once I got into the narrative flow it was all good. He has an interesting way of shifting different character observations within a single paragraph, and the structure of the prose makes it so I had to really take a little extra time with the events occurring. Again: I thought that was all good. Really good, imo.
Old 03-09-22, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just started:

Old 03-09-22, 11:07 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-09-22, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by Kurt D
Maybe this is what I should read next. I've loved the entire Elderling series too ... not sure why I haven't gotten around to reading these last books. Especially since I'm currently struggling through something I'm not particularly enjoying.

Last edited by brainee; 03-10-22 at 02:47 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,465 Likes on 932 Posts

It took almost a month, but I finished Stephen King's 11/22/63 last night. Really, really enjoyed it - especially for being my first King book. I will, no doubt, be looking for other King recommendations.
Check out the Stephen King thread. Most people agree on which are in the group of best books.

Off the top of my head:

Salem's Lot. What would happen if Dracula were in the modern world?
The Stand. A biological weapon that kills 99.9% of humanity gets out. What the survivors do. A demon jumps on the opportunity. It's a long, long book, but my favorite.
The Shining. A haunted hotel gets into the head of its caretaker. Unlike the in movie, evil spirits are real.
The Dead Zone. A guy comes out of a coma and suddenly can see into the future, and it ruins his life.
The Green Mile. The movie is close to the book.
The Dark Tower series. Some people don't like the genre mashup of western-horror-science fiction-fantasy. A couple of chapters before the ending of the last book, King warns you that you won't like the ending. He's right. But the journey is fun. A lot of King novels have bad endings, and people just accept that.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-09-22 at 03:01 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 02:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

From Russia with Love by Ian Fleming. James Bond #5. This book has the weirdest structure yet. The first third of the book is about the bad guys, and it's fun. The second third of the book is Bond spending time with Kerim Bey, whose literary purpose is to be killed by the villains. He's the best supporting character in the whole series. The actual plot with Bond, the mission, and the girl doesn't start until the two-thirds mark. It's also the least fun part of the book. Ian Fleming was tired of Bond, and it shows. At the end of the book, he kills Bond.

Unlike Sherlock Holmes, who stayed dead from 1893 until he was resurrected in 1903, the next Bond novel was released one year later.

My edition was bought when the movie was being promoted, so the cover doesn't match the other books in the set.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-10-22 at 03:03 PM.
Old 03-09-22, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I liked it quite a bit. Went into this one completely blind - based solely on a family member's recommendation.
I know I could nitpick Alam's thesaurus-y word choices, but once I got into the narrative flow it was all good. He has an interesting way of shifting different character observations within a single paragraph, and the structure of the prose makes it so I had to really take a little extra time with the events occurring. Again: I thought that was all good. Really good, imo.
I do agree that the writing style was interesting, and took a few pages to get used to. That was fine. Maybe I missed it, but the there didn't seem to be any explanations or resolutions to anything that went on. In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I grabbed it because of the reviews, so I suppose more people like it better than I.

Just started Recursionby Blake Crouch.
Old 03-10-22, 08:32 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I do agree that the writing style was interesting, and took a few pages to get used to. That was fine. Maybe I missed it, but the there didn't seem to be any explanations or resolutions to anything that went on. In any case, I'm glad you enjoyed it. I grabbed it because of the reviews, so I suppose more people like it better than I.

Just started Recursionby Blake Crouch.

Crouch's 'Recursion' and 'Dark Matter' are on my list. LMK your thoughts when done....!
Old 03-11-22, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Crouch's 'Recursion' and 'Dark Matter' are on my list. LMK your thoughts when done....!
Already halfway through Recursion and am blown away by it. I hope the rest can hold up as well. I'll let ya know!
Pointyskull (03-11-22)
Old 03-12-22, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 184 Likes on 127 Posts

Already halfway through Recursion and am blown away by it. I hope the rest can hold up as well. I'll let ya know!
Recursion and Dark Matter were both 5/5 for me on Goodreads (loved them)!

Just finished:

This was a fun book. Kind of a puzzle-mystery sci-fi/thriller, which is just up my alley. Apparently it's a spin-off of the author's podcasts (which I've never listened to, but now I'm curious). Like a lot of these types of books, it doesn't quite hold up through the end. And at times it seems like the first-novel that it is. But overall liked it. Also read:

I've seen this on numerous "top" lists for the year it came out, but it wasn't until seeing the time travel recommendation thread here that I was motivated enough to read it. I'm sorry that it just didn't seem to work for me like it does for the many readers who loved this. There were some intriguing ideas and twists, but the science fiction element isn't developed much (certainly not as much as the poetic lesbian romance parts, which just isn't my thing).

I decided to tackle next the last Robin Hobb Assassin trilogy ... so I'll be at that for a while.
Old 03-13-22, 04:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Essential Scriptures by Kevin D. Zuber
Old 03-14-22, 07:11 AM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 03-14-22, 09:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Recursion. Excellent all the way! Reading 11/22/63 and this back-to-back kinda has my head spinning! I need a different venue next!
Pointyskull (03-15-22)
Old 03-16-22, 09:58 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

Finished "insomnia" by King the other day, I did not realize how much it tied into the Dark Tower series here and there until this read-through. I probably haven't read the book for ten years or so and there are more than a few nods to Roland and Ka in the book.

Jumping off King for a bit now and reading a Jack McDevitt book called "Seeker" sadly it seems the BPL let the rights to lend the ebooks is lapsing and most of the other books by him are not available.
Old 03-16-22, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Just started:

Old 03-16-22, 10:21 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Doctor No by Ian Fleming. James Bond #6. You all know the plot, because the movie used the plot from the book. This is the first Bond book that featured a supervillain lair, which became a feature in the movies. I realized that since Fleming was basically writing a Fu Manchu story, he just grabbed the idea of a villain's lair from those books. It's fun to see cool old tropes updated and brought back to life.

This book has the best mission assignment of the whole series. Bond screwed up his last mission and almost died. After six months of hospitalization and recovery, M is still peeved at Bond. He is told to check out the high accident rate at a bird sanctuary. That's not what a double-O agent wants to hear.

Last edited by Nick Danger; 03-16-22 at 10:27 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.