Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Anyone else down for non-continuity Star Wars novels done in an “Elseworlds” type of format?

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Anyone else down for non-continuity Star Wars novels done in an “Elseworlds” type of format?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-20, 10:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

I initially started exploring this idea in the Rise of Skywalker thread in Movie Talk, but I didn’t want to contribute to any thread drift there. So I decided to just make a thread here, even though it’ll probably not he seen by as many people.

i was reading in that thread about how Rian Johnson had to work from a blank slate when starting TLJ. He had no outline or a general direction to take the story. All things considered I think he did a good assembling those scraps into a compelling movie. And imho he introduced some interesting ideas that could have taken the franchise in exciting new directions, but then most of that was retconned by JJ in TRoS.

But this isn’t a thread to discuss the pros and cons of those movies. Instead, I think it could be fun to throw out some story ideas of interesting alternate directions that could have been. Stuff similar to DC Comic’s “Elseworlds” or Marvel’s “What If” series.

The thought experiment I propose is that Del Rey makes an announcement that they’re going to release a series of Star Wars novels set outside continuity, stories that show how the sage might have progressed if one thing had happened differently.

What kind of stories would to enjoy reading under such a scenario? There’s no wrong answers, and feel free to extrapolate your idea out as much as possible.

I have a couple of ideas as well, and will come back and type them up later tonight of tomorrow when I have the time.
Old 04-09-20, 11:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts
Re: Anyone else down for non-continuity Star Wars novels done in an “Elseworlds” type of format?

I’ve actually had this idea for a while, but I want to see stories the SW universe when humans were in their Star Trek phase. Seeking out new life, exploring strange new worlds and all that- but with SW aliens and tech.

And no Jedi or Sith. Maybe, occasionally a character who has a feeling or is a little extra lucky sometimes. But absolutely no lightsabers.
Old 04-10-20, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts
Re: Anyone else down for non-continuity Star Wars novels done in an “Elseworlds” type of format?

Sounds a bit like Star Wars Inifinities.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Infinities
Each comic tells the story of what would have happened if certain key events in their respective canon sources had played out differently.
The Expanded Universe was retroactively turned into the alternate-universe, non-canon "Legends" series.
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/Star_Wars_Legends

Also, they released an eight-issue comic book series The Star Wars in September 2013, based on George Lucas's original draft
https://starwars.fandom.com/wiki/The_Star_Wars

Colin Trevorrow's alternate script for Episode IX could have an official release/adaptation.
The following 2 users liked this post by Jay G.:
IBJoel (04-10-20), John Pannozzi (05-20-20)
Old 04-10-20, 10:32 PM

Interesting, never heard of Infinities.

What I think would be cool is if there was a book or even a trilogy that starts with Palpatine getting the newly born Luke and Leia instead of Yoda and Obi-Wan. He keeps the info from Anakin, and sends them off to be trained and raised as dark side users, and possibly as eventual replacements for Vader. Over the years they grow more powerful and evil, and are periodically pitted against each other in combat (but with non-lethal wooden lightsaber replicas) to see if one of them is consistently outshining the other. I’m not sure who the teachers would be, maybe Asajj Ventress or the Inquisitors. Eventually Ashoka learns of their existence and manages to turn one of them back to the light, which culminates in a battle of brother vs. sister and master vs. former apprentice. Palpatine escapes to set up further storylines.

Another idea would be to start a book series that branches off into a new timeline after the events of TLJ, and follows Rey forming a new school for Force users, but one that follows the Grey Jedi path, realizing maintaining a balance is necessary, that one can’t have yin without yang. This could draw heavily on references to the prequels, shining a light on how the old Jedi order lost their way and fell to ruin because of it. It would also emphasize the idea that Force abilities can manifest randomly in anyone. Anything that lessens the legacy aspect of the abilities is a plus in my opinion. Broom boy would have a role in this story, ideally.

Anyway, those are just a couple of ideas among many that could be interesting to see played out in book form. IMHO, of course. I’m sure there’s tons of fan fiction out there that already does this, but with this idea I propose that Del Rey would only grant these assignments to writers that have already proven themselves, like Claudia Grey or Timothy Zahn. Although Zahn seems unable to write a story these days that doesn’t revolve around Thrawn, unfortunately.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-20-20)
Old 04-11-20, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

I'm going to come out and say ABSOLUTELY NOT.

After the hugely disappointing (to put it mildly) sequel trilogy, I'm kind of over Star Wars as anything more than a casual interest, but I don't think the Star Wars universe needs any more clutter.

They already pump out too much "canon" ancillary material like novels and comic books, and most of this stuff generally pointless or attempts to clean up plot holes in the movies. And on top of that, there is already two decades worth of partially(?) decanonized EU/Legends material out there that's been tossed out the window except when someone like Filoni wants to tap into it, which confuses things even more.

If anything, they should pull back on this stuff and concentrate on letting the live-action material drive the universe. And putting out "elseworlds"/"what if" type of material that goes out of its way to contradict the movies is just going to make things even messier.
Old 04-11-20, 11:47 AM

Fair enough! I was just thinking that freeing creators from the restraints of having to maintain canon could actually get the creative juices flowing enough to give us something better than what actual canon has been giving us.

Here’s another thought I just had for a story: something causes a rift in the multiverse, creating a portal into an alternate timeline. This timeline just happens to be the EU timeline, and the characters from Disney canon get to interact with the former canon. Imagine Ben Solo meeting Jacen and Jaina, or the hermit Luke on Acho-To getting a visit from Mara Jade and Ben Skywalker, who then tell him to get the fuck over himself.
The following users liked this post:
John Pannozzi (05-20-20)
Old 09-21-21, 11:41 AM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I just finished reading the six Star Wars: High Republic books that were released this year (two novels, two young adult novels, and two youth novels).

In this series, set 200 year BBY, they introduce an entirely new generation of characters… well, except for Master Yoda, he’s been mentioned a few times we haven’t seen him yet.

I’m really liking most of the characters and am trying to get into reading the comics (there are two monthly titles).

The next slate of three books (one from each genre) are set for release in January and February of 2022.

I have also been enjoying the Thrawn and Thrawn: Ascendancy trilogy (of which book 3 is due out soon). They’ve done a great job of branching out on Thrawn and his past.

Check then out if you’d like to.
Old 09-21-21, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,410 Likes on 1,033 Posts

I read the first High Republic novel. It wasn't a blockbuster but it was a nice change of pace from the usual.

Aren't they in the new continuity though?
Old 09-23-21, 07:21 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I read the first High Republic novel. It wasn't a blockbuster but it was a nice change of pace from the usual.

Aren't they in the new continuity though?
Yeah, they are canon. But the only link right now is Yoda (who’s 200 years younger than what we see in Clone Wars).