Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

What Are You Reading? (July 2019)

Old 07-04-19, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What Are You Reading? (July 2019)

Finished:

I thought this was great ... a very worthy follow-up to Dark Matter (this is a stand-alone story though). This is a book with big ideas and emotions and it really goes to far-out places over its 300+ pages. Do your best to not be spoiled beyond the set-up described on the book blurbs.
Old 07-04-19, 05:17 PM
PAG

Re: What Are You Reading? (July 2019)

Just finished:

Old 07-04-19, 05:21 PM

Im still currently reading Wheel of Time Eye of the World.

also Im reading Star Wars Allegiance again along with Star Wars Choices of One for the first time.

and yesterday I bought the third book of the Dragon Brigade Trilogy from Dollar General. So now Ill have to buy the first two books sometime later
Old 07-05-19, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Also just finished Recursion. Super fun book!
Old 07-06-19, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Finished Starship Troopers. Nuttin' like the movie (as someone mentioned earlier).

Something I noticed while reading this particular book - it's a collection of three Heinlein stories in one book, with Troopers being the middle selection. Most books I read, I know when I'm near the end due to the physical number of pages, and my expectation of events wrapping up somewhat dulls the suspense (wrong word, but I'm not sure what I'd label it). In this case, I had no idea how much story I had left - and it it simply ended without my having any anticipation. Granted, due to my very distant (and shaky) memory of the movie, I assumed more was still coming. Nope! Book over! It made the experience of the book a bit different than knowing I had only so many pages to go. Okay, not earth-shattering; just sharing an observation.
Old 07-10-19, 02:04 PM
PAG

Just finished:

Old 07-12-19, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Since I never read it, I started To Kill a Mockingbird today.
Old 07-14-19, 11:00 AM

I just finished Wheel of Time Eye of the World last night.

Now im back on track with Star Wars books for July. Im reading Star Wars Allegiance for the 2nd or 3rd time and going to read Star Wars Choices of One for the first time
Old 07-14-19, 02:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Reading The Crossing by Cormac McCarthy. I'm two-thirds through, and it doesn't seem to be going anywhere. Our hero has adventures, and then there's a five page block of philosophy in mixed Spanish and English. Maybe it would be better if I could understand Spanish.

I'm up to The Quick Red Fox by John D. McDonald, the fourth hardboiled mystery novel about Travis McGee. I skipped Nightmare in Pink because the book is falling apart and probably missing pages. I've read it before anyway.

I liked book two, A Purple Place for Dying. It's a clever murder mystery with no body, no suspects, and no motive. My father was a fan of Travis McGee, and I read the last few books as they were published when I was a teenager in the 1970s. I've recently decided to read them all in order.

Old 07-15-19, 02:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm in the middle of a couple of superb nonfiction books: "The Uninhabitable Earth" by David Wallace-Wells, which paints such a bleak picture of climate change's effects - and mankind's chances at "weathering" them - that one is tempted to take a razor blade to one's wrists; and "Serpentine" by Thomas Thompson, a true-crime story written with all the style, detail, and epic sweep of a classic novel.
Old 07-16-19, 07:34 AM

Old 07-16-19, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I had read the Dark Tower series books 1-4 over the last month or so but cant bring myself to pick up #5. Since then I was on vacation and re-read Harry Potter 1-4 and am now on Book 5. Its nice as I haven't seen the movies in a few years and the books are well written and enticing enough to keep me reading somewhat later than I planned to. Not many books do that for me lately.
Old 07-16-19, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished a couple of books:

Really enjoyed this one, and I'll certainly be checking out the author's follow-ups at some point (thankfully though this stands on its own as a complete story). The setting of middle-ages Russia and the use of Russian folklore made this stand out from other fantasy books to me. And, as a horror fan, I liked how the story crossed over into atmospheric gothic horror. Also ...

While I didn't think it was as good as The Bear and the Nightingale, I still enjoyed it. When the author isn't derailed by lengthy street and directional descriptions (I suspect he painstakingly mapped out his entire fictional town and didn't want any of that to go to waste), it's a fun and breezy ready that adds new wrinkles to the old "alien invasion" and "zombie apocalypse" stories.