Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-19, 12:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Just read the first 20 pages of his newest book "The Outsider" the other night (seems like most of you who checked it out already liked it). He wastes no time getting into it I can tell you that. Seems like it's going to be a great one - hope I'm not wrong.
Old 08-29-19, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

I've read three more Stephen King books.

It I liked but the divine help at the end kind of bugged me. Pennywise was one of King's best villains. The group of kids was one of his best heroes.
The Green Mile was great. I think it's one of his best books. The narrator / lead character had a particularly good voice. Now I want to see the movie again.
The Dead Zone was kind of dreary. I had to fight my way through. I think it's funny that there was a TV series based on the book. Why not create a series about Lee Harvey Oswald travelling the country and solving crimes?

Next up is The Shining. I may be running out of well-regarded Stephen King books. Do I continue with his second-tier works?
Old 08-29-19, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 259 Likes on 152 Posts

Originally Posted by Rival11
Just read the first 20 pages of his newest book "The Outsider" the other night (seems like most of you who checked it out already liked it). He wastes no time getting into it I can tell you that. Seems like it's going to be a great one - hope I'm not wrong.
I was super disappointed in it. I loved the first 40%, then it went in a different direction and had a lame ending. I check out the King subreddit occasionally and have been surprised several times at how many people liked it.
Old 08-30-19, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 42 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
I've read three more Stephen King books.

It I liked but the divine help at the end kind of bugged me. Pennywise was one of King's best villains. The group of kids was one of his best heroes.
The Green Mile was great. I think it's one of his best books. The narrator / lead character had a particularly good voice. Now I want to see the movie again.
The Dead Zone was kind of dreary. I had to fight my way through. I think it's funny that there was a TV series based on the book. Why not create a series about Lee Harvey Oswald travelling the country and solving crimes?

Next up is The Shining. I may be running out of well-regarded Stephen King books. Do I continue with his second-tier works?
Have you read "Pet Sematary" yet? How about "Salem's Lot"? Those are two of King's better book, IMO.
Old 09-04-19, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 63 Likes on 53 Posts

Really looking forward to the Institute dropping in a few days.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sleeping Beauties? Ive had it waiting for me, but havent gotten around to reading it for some reason. I know I will eventually but debating doing it before the new book hits.

Also, I havent bothered with the Dark Tower series because Ive heard so often over the years how bad the ending is handled. Is it still worth reading knowing that I will more than likely be disappointed at the end? Ive actually managed to stay pretty much in the dark on the actual plot, but there is something about knowing that I more than likely wont like the way the series ends that keeps me from starting it.
Old 09-04-19, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,468 Likes on 933 Posts

Originally Posted by clappj
Have you read "Pet Sematary" yet? How about "Salem's Lot"? Those are two of King's better book, IMO.
I liked Salem's Lot. I have not read Pet Semetary.

Originally Posted by thematahara
Really looking forward to the Institute dropping in a few days.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sleeping Beauties? Ive had it waiting for me, but havent gotten around to reading it for some reason. I know I will eventually but debating doing it before the new book hits.

Also, I havent bothered with the Dark Tower series because Ive heard so often over the years how bad the ending is handled. Is it still worth reading knowing that I will more than likely be disappointed at the end? Ive actually managed to stay pretty much in the dark on the actual plot, but there is something about knowing that I more than likely wont like the way the series ends that keeps me from starting it.
I thought The Dark Tower was completely worth it. The series has got lots of good stories and lots of good ideas. The Dark Tower is why I started reading Stephen King. It's something like 3000 pages long, and all the loose ends are neatly tied up, but he doesn't know how to finish his protagonist. But in the meantime, you get cool stuff like lobsters, crazy trains, teenage gunfighters, giant bears, and vampire restaurants.
Old 09-06-19, 12:20 AM

Dark Tower is absolutely worth reading, and honestly over time I’ve come to see the ending as perfect. The twist ending at least, the final book as a whole has some issues. As for Sleeping Beauties, it’s not a bad novel, but fairly forgettable compared to most of his stuff. Hopefully The Institute is good. Even being able to list a lot of mediocre King, the rest is good enough to get me back the day of for new releases.
Old 09-06-19, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 393 Likes on 281 Posts

I think people feel King should not have literally inserted himself into the Dark Tower series, things get a little meta and somewhat silly toward the end of book 6 when this occurs. There are some low parts and bad dialog in a number of the books in the series that criticism aside The Dark Tower series is most likely my favorite set of books and I have read the entire series numerous times over the years. Granted I would re-read a lot of the books as new ones were released but in the past 10 years I've reread the entire saga at least 4 times. I don't re-read a lot of books so this is quite unusual for me. I really feel like the end really does the series justice but got a bit angry the first time I read it, then realizing that Ka is a wheel it just felt right...
Old 10-09-19, 07:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Finished up the Institute the other day. Ended up really enjoying it. King always does well when it comes to writing about children and their friendships. Without spoiling anything, I did enjoy the structure of the story and how we get back to were we started.

Really glad to see him continue to crank out such good stuff this late into his career. The last 10 years or so have been great.
Old 10-09-19, 06:02 PM

His next book was announced a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it’ll be a novella collection.
Also, there’s been a lot of seemingly misinformed info out there on this. Some sites and articles have it named as “If You Bleed” instead of “If It Bleeds.” I’ve also read that it would include “In the Tall Grass” which contradicts the article below, plus it was initially reported as being a Holly Gibney book. I’m guessing that it’s actually that one of the four stories will probably have her.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/books/...-new-novellas/

Old 10-09-19, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

"In the Tall Grass" was just released in Joe Hill's new book of short stories.
Old 10-14-19, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I was lucky enough to score tickets for Steven and Joe at the Somerville Theater in MA last week. The talk was really good and hosted by Porter Square books, the amazing thing to me in the end was that the tickets were $31 plus ticketmaster fees and they gave everyone that attended a copy of the Institute or new Joe Hill book Even the host had a great opening / intro for them. Highly worthwhile to watch as the banter with the father and son was great. the Book store was kind enough to video and upload it to youtube!

Old 10-21-19, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Thanks for posting that, good stuff.

Reminds me that I need to read The Fireman
Old 10-23-19, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have read (from what I can remember);
Full Dark, No Stars
Finders Keepers
Joyland

Bought but haven't read: Sleeping Beauties

Watched: IT, Tall Grass, Gerald's Game, A Good Marriage
Old 10-25-19, 09:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by thematahara
Thanks for posting that, good stuff.

Reminds me that I need to read The Fireman
I really enjoyed that book, a few nods to Dad's world with "product placement" in the story and it was set largely in Portsmouth NH and southern Maine both areas I know well so it was nearly an Easter egg for me to recognize locations and such.

Spoiler:
He mentions Nozz-A-La cola for sure and I think there is a Takuro Spirit car mentioned as well both of which are from either the Dark Tower and or The Stand.