Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Old 08-29-19, 12:00 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Rival11's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Location: Western N.Y.
Posts: 6,041
Received 25 Likes on 10 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Just read the first 20 pages of his newest book "The Outsider" the other night (seems like most of you who checked it out already liked it). He wastes no time getting into it I can tell you that. Seems like it's going to be a great one - hope I'm not wrong.
Old 08-29-19, 04:52 PM
  #102  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 24,304
Received 153 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

I've read three more Stephen King books.

It I liked but the divine help at the end kind of bugged me. Pennywise was one of King's best villains. The group of kids was one of his best heroes.
The Green Mile was great. I think it's one of his best books. The narrator / lead character had a particularly good voice. Now I want to see the movie again.
The Dead Zone was kind of dreary. I had to fight my way through. I think it's funny that there was a TV series based on the book. Why not create a series about Lee Harvey Oswald travelling the country and solving crimes?

Next up is The Shining. I may be running out of well-regarded Stephen King books. Do I continue with his second-tier works?
Old 08-29-19, 11:58 PM
  #103  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,345
Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Originally Posted by Rival11 View Post
Just read the first 20 pages of his newest book "The Outsider" the other night (seems like most of you who checked it out already liked it). He wastes no time getting into it I can tell you that. Seems like it's going to be a great one - hope I'm not wrong.
I was super disappointed in it. I loved the first 40%, then it went in a different direction and had a lame ending. I check out the King subreddit occasionally and have been surprised several times at how many people liked it.
Old 08-30-19, 12:51 PM
  #104  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: North Cacalaca
Posts: 8,501
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I've read three more Stephen King books.

It I liked but the divine help at the end kind of bugged me. Pennywise was one of King's best villains. The group of kids was one of his best heroes.
The Green Mile was great. I think it's one of his best books. The narrator / lead character had a particularly good voice. Now I want to see the movie again.
The Dead Zone was kind of dreary. I had to fight my way through. I think it's funny that there was a TV series based on the book. Why not create a series about Lee Harvey Oswald travelling the country and solving crimes?

Next up is The Shining. I may be running out of well-regarded Stephen King books. Do I continue with his second-tier works?
Have you read "Pet Sematary" yet? How about "Salem's Lot"? Those are two of King's better book, IMO.
Old 09-04-19, 08:16 AM
  #105  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,163
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Really looking forward to the Institute dropping in a few days.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sleeping Beauties? Ive had it waiting for me, but havent gotten around to reading it for some reason. I know I will eventually but debating doing it before the new book hits.

Also, I havent bothered with the Dark Tower series because Ive heard so often over the years how bad the ending is handled. Is it still worth reading knowing that I will more than likely be disappointed at the end? Ive actually managed to stay pretty much in the dark on the actual plot, but there is something about knowing that I more than likely wont like the way the series ends that keeps me from starting it.
Old 09-04-19, 11:53 AM
  #106  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Nick Danger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2001
Location: Albuquerque
Posts: 24,304
Received 153 Likes on 111 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Originally Posted by clappj View Post
Have you read "Pet Sematary" yet? How about "Salem's Lot"? Those are two of King's better book, IMO.
I liked Salem's Lot. I have not read Pet Semetary.

Originally Posted by thematahara View Post
Really looking forward to the Institute dropping in a few days.

Anyone have any thoughts on Sleeping Beauties? Ive had it waiting for me, but havent gotten around to reading it for some reason. I know I will eventually but debating doing it before the new book hits.

Also, I havent bothered with the Dark Tower series because Ive heard so often over the years how bad the ending is handled. Is it still worth reading knowing that I will more than likely be disappointed at the end? Ive actually managed to stay pretty much in the dark on the actual plot, but there is something about knowing that I more than likely wont like the way the series ends that keeps me from starting it.
I thought The Dark Tower was completely worth it. The series has got lots of good stories and lots of good ideas. The Dark Tower is why I started reading Stephen King. It's something like 3000 pages long, and all the loose ends are neatly tied up, but he doesn't know how to finish his protagonist. But in the meantime, you get cool stuff like lobsters, crazy trains, teenage gunfighters, giant bears, and vampire restaurants.
Old 09-06-19, 12:20 AM
  #107  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,345
Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Dark Tower is absolutely worth reading, and honestly over time I’ve come to see the ending as perfect. The twist ending at least, the final book as a whole has some issues. As for Sleeping Beauties, it’s not a bad novel, but fairly forgettable compared to most of his stuff. Hopefully The Institute is good. Even being able to list a lot of mediocre King, the rest is good enough to get me back the day of for new releases.
Old 09-06-19, 01:48 PM
  #108  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,709
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

I think people feel King should not have literally inserted himself into the Dark Tower series, things get a little meta and somewhat silly toward the end of book 6 when this occurs. There are some low parts and bad dialog in a number of the books in the series that criticism aside The Dark Tower series is most likely my favorite set of books and I have read the entire series numerous times over the years. Granted I would re-read a lot of the books as new ones were released but in the past 10 years I've reread the entire saga at least 4 times. I don't re-read a lot of books so this is quite unusual for me. I really feel like the end really does the series justice but got a bit angry the first time I read it, then realizing that Ka is a wheel it just felt right...
Old 10-09-19, 07:17 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,163
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Finished up the Institute the other day. Ended up really enjoying it. King always does well when it comes to writing about children and their friendships. Without spoiling anything, I did enjoy the structure of the story and how we get back to were we started.

Really glad to see him continue to crank out such good stuff this late into his career. The last 10 years or so have been great.
Old 10-09-19, 06:02 PM
  #110  
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition
 
Tom Banjo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Location: Auburn, AL
Posts: 4,345
Received 144 Likes on 83 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

His next book was announced a couple of weeks ago. It looks like it’ll be a novella collection.
Also, there’s been a lot of seemingly misinformed info out there on this. Some sites and articles have it named as “If You Bleed” instead of “If It Bleeds.” I’ve also read that it would include “In the Tall Grass” which contradicts the article below, plus it was initially reported as being a Holly Gibney book. I’m guessing that it’s actually that one of the four stories will probably have her.

https://bloody-disgusting.com/books/...-new-novellas/

Old 10-09-19, 08:20 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Josh-da-man's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Location: The Bible Belt
Posts: 33,751
Received 251 Likes on 188 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

"In the Tall Grass" was just released in Joe Hill's new book of short stories.
Old 10-14-19, 08:43 AM
  #112  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,709
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

I was lucky enough to score tickets for Steven and Joe at the Somerville Theater in MA last week. The talk was really good and hosted by Porter Square books, the amazing thing to me in the end was that the tickets were $31 plus ticketmaster fees and they gave everyone that attended a copy of the Institute or new Joe Hill book Even the host had a great opening / intro for them. Highly worthwhile to watch as the banter with the father and son was great. the Book store was kind enough to video and upload it to youtube!

Old 10-21-19, 08:51 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Special Edition
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 1,163
Likes: 0
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Thanks for posting that, good stuff.

Reminds me that I need to read The Fireman
Old 10-23-19, 11:39 PM
  #114  
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2019
Posts: 67
Likes: 0
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Have read (from what I can remember);
Full Dark, No Stars
Finders Keepers
Joyland

Bought but haven't read: Sleeping Beauties

Watched: IT, Tall Grass, Gerald's Game, A Good Marriage
Old 10-25-19, 09:29 AM
  #115  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: MA
Posts: 5,709
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: The Stephen King Catch-All Potpourri Thread

Originally Posted by thematahara View Post
Thanks for posting that, good stuff.

Reminds me that I need to read The Fireman
I really enjoyed that book, a few nods to Dad's world with "product placement" in the story and it was set largely in Portsmouth NH and southern Maine both areas I know well so it was nearly an Easter egg for me to recognize locations and such.

Spoiler:
He mentions Nozz-A-La cola for sure and I think there is a Takuro Spirit car mentioned as well both of which are from either the Dark Tower and or The Stand.

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.