Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Anne McCaffrey, Pern series author, has died

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-11, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anne McCaffrey, Pern series author, has died

Anne McCaffrey Has Died

Fantasy novelist Anne McCaffrey has passed away. She was 85 years old. GalleyCat confirmed the sad news with Random House this afternoon.

McCaffrey’s career began with Restoree in 1967. She went on to earn a dedicated following for her beloved series, Dragonriders of Pern. At her website, McCaffrey answered letters from dedicated fans through November. This GalleyCat editor will never forget reading her books as a middle-school kid. Share your memories in the comments section…

You can read her complete biography at her site. An excerpt: “Her first novel, Restoree, was written as a protest against the absurd and unrealistic portrayals of women in s-f novels in the 50s and early 60s. It is, however, in the handling of broader themes and the worlds of her imagination, particularly the two series The Ship Who Sang and the fourteen novels about the Dragonriders of Pern that Ms. McCaffrey’s talents as a story-teller are best displayed.”

On her blog, she offered this advice for aspiring writers: “First — keep reading. Writers are readers. Writers are also people who can’t not write. Second, follow Heinlein’s rules for getting published: 1. Write it. 2. Finish it. 3. Send it out. 4. Keep sending it out until someone sends you a check. There are variations on that, but that’s basically what works.”
Old 11-22-11, 08:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Anne McCaffrey, Pern series author, has died

I read the first six Pern novels at least a dozen times each when I was 13. It was one of the few things that kept me sane back then. Another of my childhood heroes gone.
Old 11-23-11, 07:49 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Boooo
Old 11-23-11, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Haven't read for years, but my dad had all of the Pern books.
Old 11-23-11, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

I remember reading the first Dragonriders of Pern trilogy way back in the early 1980's. Gawd, this passing makes me feel really old.
Old 11-28-11, 07:53 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

I have the original trilogy plus Moreta, The Renegades of Pern and All the Weyrs of Pern. I read the original trilogy back in the 80's too, enjoyed it tremendously. I've read it a couple of times since then, enjoy it each time I read it. Anne McCaffrey will be missed. -kd5-
Old 11-28-11, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 650 Likes on 450 Posts

I started reading Anne McCaffrey with the Dragonsinger trilogy, then went back and read all the other Pern books, and most of her other books. I think I had read almost all her published books by the time I stopped reading her, sometime after All The Weyrs of Pern, the last Pern book I read, came out in 1991.

I noticed that the newer Pern novels were co-authored by her son, Todd McCaffrey. I imagine he'll continue the series solo now that she's passed on.