Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

A Dance With Dragons - July 12th

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-11, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts
Re: A Dance With Dragons - July 12th

Originally Posted by KirstenS
Funny, I'm at the exact same spot. Chewing on my fingernails again to get home and read some more.

Have you read the Dunk and Egg novellas, in particular the last one? If so, you can figure out from the description who

Spoiler:

the Three-eyed crow is.

If not, get thee to a bookstore and pick up Warriors I quickly! There are subtle references to that history all over the place in this book. I can't believe how much I've been able to pick up so far such as

Spoiler:

Who Griff and Young Griff most likely are

Just from rereading the first 4 novels and the first 3 Dunk/Egg novellas over the past couple months.
Crap! I knew there was something I could have been reading in the 3 weeks since I finished my re-read of the series.
Old 07-14-11, 04:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My initial thought after the first couple hundred pages: it's the best book of the series. It's got all the wonderfully descriptive prose and grimness of the third book with the narrative drive of the first book. Also, the magical and fantasy elements have been beefed a bit, but treated with such dead seriousness and realism that it's seemless.

Specific thoughts:
Spoiler:

1. The Theon / Reek chapter is fucking hardcore awfulness. The Boltons are seriously sick
2. Bran's ventures with Coldhands and co (WTF is he, a sentient wight?) is the best wall / North of the wall material yet in the series. The action setpiece just before they get refuge in the cave is truly exciting and the descriptions of the North are thrillingly evocative.
3. So far, the Tyrion arc is the least exciting, but still really good. The slow, gluttonous carriage ride on the ancient highway is exteremly well rendered and full of solid character development for Tyrion.
4. I can't wait to see what GRRM does with Arya, if anything, in this book.
5. Dragons and unsullied = double edged sword. Dany still has a lot to learn and she knows it. It reminds me a bit of Paul unleashing the Jihad in the second Dune book.
Old 07-14-11, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Funny, I'm at the exact same spot. Chewing on my fingernails again to get home and read some more.

Have you read the Dunk and Egg novellas, in particular the last one? If so, you can figure out from the description who

Spoiler:

the Three-eyed crow is.

If not, get thee to a bookstore and pick up Warriors I quickly! There are subtle references to that history all over the place in this book. I can't believe how much I've been able to pick up so far such as
I re-read the first Dunk/Egg novella a few months ago, but I haven't read the rest of them, I'm pretty sure. Maybe I'll sidetrack and read them, I'm about half way through DwD right now.
Old 07-15-11, 01:01 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

420 pages in and I'm loving it all but Dany's chapters. She still bores the shit out of me.
Old 07-15-11, 07:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by sven
420 pages in and I'm loving it all but Dany's chapters. She still bores the shit out of me.
Agreed. Hoping George does something really really bad to her, just to punish her for annoying me. Everything else is SO good. Right now, I'm 63% in (Kindle edition) and have moved past the Feast timeline. I'm starting to get nervous because I can feel the tension building. This is close to the point where GRRM usually throws in lovely things like Red Weddings and main character beheadings.
Old 07-15-11, 07:25 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I wanted to put the book down, stand up, and applaud after Manderlay's speech in the third Davos chapter.

Spoiler:
In regards to the Freys and Boltons killing his son at the Red Wedding

"... but never think that means I have forgotten. The North remembers, Lord Davos. The North remembers, and this mummer's farce is almost done."
Old 07-16-11, 03:07 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Did any one catch in The Prince of Winterfell chapter

Spoiler:
Manderly request the singer play Rat Cook after he serves the pie. That's the song Meera told Bran about in Storm of Swords, where the guy killed the sons of the king, then baked them in a pie and fed them to him. I guess that explains where the missing Freys are.
Old 07-18-11, 02:54 PM

"He was not wrong."

Usually I love Martin's writing, except maybe the Danerys chapers. But those words, "He was not wrong," have appeared over and over through out the book in various forms. It's like Martin in particularly fond of that statement. Seems kind of sloppy for a writer of Martin's caliber. Kind of like starting every sentence in the same paragraph with the same word. Eventually, people are bound to notice.

Otherwise, love the book.
Old 07-18-11, 10:13 PM

"serjeant" That one drove me crazy.
Old 07-19-11, 08:15 AM

It's the British spelling of sergeant, which I'm sure you already figured out. I guess Westeros is a forerunner of modern Great Britain.
Old 07-19-11, 10:33 AM

Oh, I know what the word means, but apparently GRRM just discovered it as well. It didn't show up once in the previous 4 novels, but I saw it in what seemed like every other page on ADWD.
Old 07-20-11, 01:25 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Finished it earlier tonight.

Still processing how I feel about it. Initial reaction is it wasn't as good as ASoS or AGoT, but better than AFoC. I guess I would put it on par with ACoK.

I thought he handled the characters that had smaller parts much better then he did the big 3.

My long thoughts (Specific major spoilers and speculation below)

Spoiler:
Jon's death doesn't have the same impact as Ned or Rob just because I don't think we've seen the last him. He's either going to jump into Ghost, which I guess was why Varamyr Sixskins was the narrator for the prologue, and all signs in this one point to him being Azor Ahai reborn. I'm more disappointed that we don't get to see him lead a wildling army to Winterfell to fight the Boltons.I kind of had a feeling something was up because Ghost was acting similar to Grey Wind before the Red Wedding.

Speaking of the Ramsay Bolton, it'll be interesting to see how much of that letter is true. I think the part of him having Mance is probably true, but I can't see Martin killing Stannis off like that. Plus, if Ramsay killed Stannis he should have Theon and Jeyne Poole back since that's where they were last we saw them.

It will be interesting to see what becomes of the Night's Watch now. Also what Sam does when he finds out Jon was murdered by their brothers.

Dany: ugh, the worst part about her story is Martin kept saying the delay was because of Meereen and we are still going to be there next book. Her taking off on Drogon was the one actual awesome moment in her story. Then he follows that up with her wandering around, shitting herself, and hallucinating.

Tyrion: Tyrion's story was up and down. When he was with Illyrio and after he was taken by the slavers, I thought his story suffered. He's at his best when he's at a place where he can manipulate and read people like when he was on the boat with Griff and company. I was greatly disappointed that Dany and him didn't meet up.

I really enjoyed the Bran chapters. Though if his story ends where I think it is going, with him taking Bloodraven's place, that is going to be depressing as hell. I did like the nods to his story where it was hinted he was saying the names of Theon and Jon.

Davos chapters were good as well. His interactions with the Freys and Manderlay were great. Glad he's going after Rickon. I was hoping the epilogue would be Osha or someone who could give us an update on them since we haven't had word on them since the last chapter of the second book.

The Greyjoys were much better here. Victorian is such a badass. The Theon chapters were brutal.

Quentyn Marzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Liked the Selmy chapters

I'm glad we got confirmation Brienne is alive and Arya has her sight back.

I don't see Aegon Targaryen living long enough to take the Iron Throne.

Varys killing Kevan Lannister and Pycelle was an interesting end. I'm guessing he did it to keep the land in chaos until Aegon and Jon Connington are stronger.

I'm interested to see when Cersei has Ser Robert Strong, Zombie Gregor Clegane, fight for her, if the hints that were given in AFoC, Sandor Clegane is alive and working with the Eldest Brother on Quiet Isle, are true and the Hound will be called in by the High Septon and he will get his revenge.

Last edited by MrX; 07-20-11 at 02:12 AM.
Old 07-20-11, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Finished last night. Great read, again GRRM does a superb job. With that said, I was extremely disappointed in this book, and hate the thought of another 1-2 years (or more like another 4-6) for this and that for the last one to finish this story up.

Spoiler:
I am sick of the fake deaths. There is no way in hell Jon is dead. So far he has "killed" about 20 people all of whom have proved otherwise.
This book also went around in circles. Mirreen, end in the same state the story began. Tyrion was enroute and got hijacked 3-4 times.
Must everything be described to the microscopic level?
The idea that nothing will be resolved in the next book and we will get even more shit on our heroes is not the best thing to look forward5 to, hopefully I am wrong and their is more resolution in the next book and the final book is the realm dealing with the mess north of the wall.

Rockroi at westeros.org has an awesome critique/reveiw that sums up my thoughts and is much more eloquent than I could state it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...1#entry2592911
Old 07-20-11, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

Geez, you all read fast! 1100 pages in 8 days is nuts. I just broke page 200 last night.
Old 07-20-11, 03:06 PM

Originally Posted by Cusm
Finished last night. Great read, again GRRM does a superb job. With that said, I was extremely disappointed in this book, and hate the thought of another 1-2 years (or more like another 4-6) for this and that for the last one to finish this story up.

Spoiler:
I am sick of the fake deaths. There is no way in hell Jon is dead. So far he has "killed" about 20 people all of whom have proved otherwise.
This book also went around in circles. Mirreen, end in the same state the story began. Tyrion was enroute and got hijacked 3-4 times.
Must everything be described to the microscopic level?
The idea that nothing will be resolved in the next book and we will get even more shit on our heroes is not the best thing to look forward5 to, hopefully I am wrong and their is more resolution in the next book and the final book is the realm dealing with the mess north of the wall.

Rockroi at westeros.org has an awesome critique/reveiw that sums up my thoughts and is much more eloquent than I could state it.

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php...1#entry2592911
I finished on Saturday night. Went to the book signing in Indianapolis on Saturday, so I spent a lot of time sitting around doing nothing but reading that day. I liked it overall, but then again, I really liked AFFC.

Spoiler:

As much as GRRM gets credit for killing his characters, he's never killed a "main" (big 3) character, and I don't think he will at the very least until the last book. Agree, no way is Jon dead. Dany was as annoying as she was in Clash. Other than that though, I loved it. The Theon chapters in particular were fantastic. I'm not usually a Tyrion fan, but I loved all of his chapters. Bran chapters were spooky and amazingly written.

I look at AFFC and ADWD as bridge books. GRRM originally wanted this series as a trilogy, which bumped up to 4 books, which bumped up to 6 with a 5 year gap in between 2 trilogies. He scrapped the 5 year gap idea, so now we have AFFC and ADWD in between the two trilogies (I'm betting on 8 books total). All of the cyvasse pieces are now in place. My hope is that it doesn't take him 6 years to write the next book. He's said that with his tour, his new Dunk and Egg novella, the script for season 2 of the show, filming the show, and his editing projects, that he's taking the rest of the year off of ASoIaF and will begin again next year. I hope the break does him some good.
Old 07-20-11, 06:28 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I read at one of the signings that someone asked him what would happen if the show caught up to him and he said that wouldn't happen. I think not allowing the tv show to catch up puts a lot more pressure on him to get going then if it's just his publisher and fans bitching.

Last edited by MrX; 07-20-11 at 07:00 PM.
Old 07-21-11, 04:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2011/07/21/...cking-twist-g/

New interview with GRRM talking about the events in the book, needless to say if you haven't finished the book you shouldn't read it as there is are major spoilers.

He doesn't really say anything new, but his comments point to what has been speculated is true in regards to
Spoiler:
Jon not really being dead and Ramsay's letter not being the truth
Old 07-21-11, 07:49 PM

I am in the minority but I hated this book. Honestly after 4 years for Feast and 5 years for Dance...that's 9 years for 2 half books that together are too long and filled with too much fluff. I wish he had stuck with his original 5 year gap in the books plan. I understand why he did what he did without it...but IMO it ruined Feast and Dance.
Old 07-27-11, 11:06 AM

I'm wording my way through Feast now, and am enjoying it so far. I bought it when it first came out, and tried to read it after not having read the other 3 for 4+ years, and felt fairly lost so I never got very far in it.

Looking forward to reading Dance, and back to the characters I like, though seeing some of the reviews at Amazon is kind of disappointing.

It's hard not to click on the spoilers!!
Old 07-27-11, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Wait, do we know
Spoiler:
Brienne of Tarth is alive
or is that just a offshoot of the fucked up time line between the two books?
Old 07-27-11, 11:36 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Tommy Ceez
Wait, do we know
Spoiler:
Brienne of Tarth is alive
or is that just a offshoot of the fucked up time line between the two books?
Spoiler:
Yes, she's alive. The issues with the timeline only come into play with characters that weren't in Feast, like when Sam shows up in the early Jon chapters, and Jamie and Brienne were both POV characters in Feast.
Old 07-27-11, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Alvis
"He was not wrong."

Usually I love Martin's writing, except maybe the Danerys chapers. But those words, "He was not wrong," have appeared over and over through out the book in various forms. It's like Martin in particularly fond of that statement. Seems kind of sloppy for a writer of Martin's caliber. Kind of like starting every sentence in the same paragraph with the same word. Eventually, people are bound to notice.

Otherwise, love the book.
For me it was "leal" everybody was so fucking leal it started to piss me off.
Oh, I know what the word means, but apparently GRRM just discovered it as well. It didn't show up once in the previous 4 novels, but I saw it in what seemed like every other page on ADWD.
Yeah, I felt the same way. Gaol and Gaoler as well. Yes, there is nothing wrong with those words, but he really fell in love with them.
Old 07-27-11, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just finished it up today. I mostly liked it, but when I got to the last 100 pages or so, I started to feel let down. This is probably due to it being a "bridge book" like Kirstens said (which, after the delay, is a bit of a let down).

RE: Jon:

Spoiler:
I agree that I'm a little annoyed by the non-death, but the more I think of it, the more I don't like his segments in this book. I think he would have been shived as soon as he started his talk of bringing wildlings across the wall.

Last edited by starman9000; 07-27-11 at 05:02 PM.
Old 07-27-11, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by starman9000
Just finished it up today. I mostly liked it, but when I got to the last 100 pages or so, I started to feel let down. This is probably due to it being a "bridge book" like Kirstens said (which, after the delay, is a bit of a let down).

RE: Jon:

Spoiler:
I agree that I'm a little annoyed by the non-death, but the more I think of it, the more I don't like his segments in this book. I think he would have been shived as soon as he started his talk of bringing wildlings across the wall.
Stannis was ok with it so his absence at the time was the key
Old 07-27-11, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The Reek chapters could have been written by Steven king

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.