A Dance With Dragons - July 12th

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-11, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: A Dance With Dragons - July 12th

Originally Posted by burnside986
calibre. makes DRM a thing of the past.
I'm not going to sidetrack the Dance thread on DRM, but buying DRM supports DRM. I try to do it as little as possible.

I've got no qualms about owning a great hardcover book. I pre-ordered this the day they announced it, being my second favorite series of books, I'm sure I'll have the HC for a few decades.
Old 07-10-11, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by bdshort
As someone who has A Feast For Crows but hasn't read more than a third of it, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to try reading it simultaneously with Dance, or if it'll be better to read Crows then Dance. Maybe Martin should release a recommended reading order for those that want to try to read both at the same time.
He has released a reading order. Its "as they've been released."

Honestly, read the first three, then you can tag team books 4 and 5.
Old 07-10-11, 03:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bdshort
As someone who has A Feast For Crows but hasn't read more than a third of it, I'm wondering if it wouldn't be a bad idea to try reading it simultaneously with Dance, or if it'll be better to read Crows then Dance. Maybe Martin should release a recommended reading order for those that want to try to read both at the same time.

They're meant to be read in publication order. There are events in Dance that resolve cliffhangers in Feast. If you want to think of Feast as half a book, think of it as the first half of a Feast/Dance combo.
Old 07-10-11, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Ok, will read separately then.
Old 07-11-11, 08:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Salon with a rave review, according to Westeros, no spoilers (And upon reading it myself, no spoilers):

http://www.salon.com/books/feature/2...e_with_dragons

I couldn't stop reading Martin because my desire to know what was going to happen combined with my absolute inability to guess what would happen and left me helpless before his sorcery. At the end, I felt shaken and exhausted.

I can't recall the last time a work of science fiction or fantasy had that kind of effect on me. I'm almost glad that it will be years before I have to do this all over again. Because it will take me years to recover.
Old 07-11-11, 11:37 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Received 259 Likes on 195 Posts

I mistimed my re-reading of Crows so I have around 150 pages to finish tonight.

I went with the e-book for now, I'll grab the hardcover later, so I'll be constantly checking my ipad around midnight.
Old 07-11-11, 11:41 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
Book 4 has been a slow read for me. Too many chapters from the POV of new random characters I don't care about. I hope I can finish it in time.
Didn't happen. Whenever I sit down to read this I end up procrastinating with something more interesting, like work or chores.
Old 07-11-11, 12:08 PM

I'm only half-way through my re-read of A Storm of Swords. With Dance arriving from Amazon some time this week, I don't if I will be able to make myself re-read the other two books before starting Dance, or just plunge right in.
Old 07-11-11, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

I had hoped to re-read the series before the new book came out but it just didn't happen. I'll brush up on the synopses and then dive into the new release and hope for the best. I've read the entire series three times and yet when the miniseries hit HBO there were scenes and characters I didn't recall so my book memory is pretty lacking it would seem.
Old 07-11-11, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 917 Likes on 677 Posts

I picked up a Nook touch just for this book. I'm sure I'll get more use out of it but I wouldn't of bought one if not for this release. 1040 pages is one giant hardcover.
Old 07-11-11, 02:33 PM

I hate to admit this, but I'm getting both the ebook and hardcover versions. Buying for my kindle because that's my preferred method of reading, and buying a hardcover to get signed by Martin. I have a first edition hardcover of every book in this series signed, so I wasn't about to stop with this one.
Old 07-11-11, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Don't feel bad, I'm doing the same thing. I pre-ordered the hardcover on amazon for cheap with free shipping. No worries on when it arrives since I'll be reading it already.
Old 07-11-11, 07:18 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Groucho
Didn't happen. Whenever I sit down to read this I end up procrastinating with something more interesting, like work or chores.
I count reading the Cersei chapters as a chore.
Old 07-11-11, 11:49 PM

Ugh, you guys aren't making me look forward to reading Feast! But I'm only a quarter of the way through Clash and I will read everything again before Dance, so it'll be awhile before I get to Feast.
Old 07-12-11, 02:11 AM

Kindle edition is now available.
Old 07-12-11, 03:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by MrX
I count reading the Cersei chapters as a chore.
A little. She thinks she's so clever, but in reality she's just paranoid and doing herself more harm than good. So aggravating!
Old 07-12-11, 03:23 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

Stupid Amazon going by Pacfic time.

I made it through the Prologue and the first POV chapter.
Old 07-12-11, 06:34 AM

I turned on my Wifi this morning before work to download my copy. Now my Kindle is sitting there staring at me on my desk, daring me to suddenly come down with a serious illness so I can play hooky from work.
Old 07-12-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Happy Dance with Dragons Day!
Old 07-12-11, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

UPS can not get here soon enough. I better do any work I planned on doing now before it arrives.
Old 07-12-11, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

My Nook is sitting on my desk teasing me right now. I was able to get through the prologue this morning, which was longer than I was expecting. 5:00 seems like so far away.
Old 07-12-11, 08:07 PM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

The second Jon chapter

Spoiler:
Is completely badass

I loved how it seemed like he was going to wuss out of hanging Slynt, only to have him pull out Longclaw and behead him.

The nod of approval Stannis gives him afterwards was great as well

Last edited by MrX; 07-12-11 at 11:43 PM.
Old 07-13-11, 03:01 AM
MrX
DVD Talk Hero

I'm through the second Davos chapter, I have no idea what page that is since the kindle version doesn't have numbers

The highlight so far was

Spoiler:
The children of the forest saving Bran and company from the Wights. If they make it this far with the HBO show, the scene with Bran taking over Hodor should be good.

Other thoughts:

Theon's chapter was brutal

I wasn't a big fan of the first two Tyrion chapters, Illyrio just isn't a character capable of witty back and forth with him, but the last chapter on the boat was much better.

This is the first time we've seen cracks in Dany's confidence since her dragons were born, now that they are harder to control.

Jon's warg ability seems to have gotten a lot stronger.
Old 07-13-11, 08:41 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by MrX
I'm through the second Davos chapter, I have no idea what page that is since the kindle version doesn't have numbers

The highlight so far was

Spoiler:
The children of the forest saving Bran and company from the Wights. If they make it this far with the HBO show, the scene with Bran taking over Hodor should be good.

Other thoughts:

Theon's chapter was brutal

I wasn't a big fan of the first two Tyrion chapters, Illyrio just isn't a character capable of witty back and forth with him, but the last chapter on the boat was much better.

This is the first time we've seen cracks in Dany's confidence since her dragons were born, now that they are harder to control.

Jon's warg ability seems to have gotten a lot stronger.
I am at the same spot.

Spoiler:

Agree with the Theon chapter, the most brutal thing GRRM has written in the series, I hope he over comes his "training" quickly.

I want to know who the Three-eyed crow is!!!

I was really hoping Davos would skip White Harbor, I am still hoping it is not him that hangs.

I left the book at home today, so the wait til 5:00 is killing me.
Old 07-13-11, 10:10 AM

Originally Posted by Cusm
I am at the same spot.

Spoiler:

Agree with the Theon chapter, the most brutal thing GRRM has written in the series, I hope he over comes his "training" quickly.

I want to know who the Three-eyed crow is!!!

I was really hoping Davos would skip White Harbor, I am still hoping it is not him that hangs.

I left the book at home today, so the wait til 5:00 is killing me.
Funny, I'm at the exact same spot. Chewing on my fingernails again to get home and read some more.

Have you read the Dunk and Egg novellas, in particular the last one? If so, you can figure out from the description who

Spoiler:

the Three-eyed crow is.

If not, get thee to a bookstore and pick up Warriors I quickly! There are subtle references to that history all over the place in this book. I can't believe how much I've been able to pick up so far such as

Spoiler:

Who Griff and Young Griff most likely are

Just from rereading the first 4 novels and the first 3 Dunk/Egg novellas over the past couple months.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.