Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Book Talk
Reload this Page >

Tweens are going nuts for a "Battle Royale" rip-off

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 10-17-10, 11:02 AM

Received 116 Likes on 78 Posts

I hadn't heard of these books until I read this article in Entertainment Weekly. There's apparently also a PG-13 movie in the works:

'The Hunger Games': Taking the book world (and Hollywood) by storm
by Nicole Sperling

Move over, Bella Swan. Katniss Everdeen is the new tween It Girl. The tough-as-nails teenage heroine of Suzanne Collins’ best-selling trilogy The Hunger Games already has her own Facebook page and Wikipedia profile. This summer, Mockingjay, the third and final book, moved more than 450,000 copies in its first week. “Book 3 was the breakthrough book for Harry Potter and Twilight, too,” says HG editor David Levithan, Scholastic’s executive editorial director. “We’re hitting right on schedule.”

The Hunger Games takes place in a bleak, postapocalyptic world where, every year, 24 children are randomly selected and forced to battle to the death on television. And while the saga — which kicks off when Katniss volunteers for the bloodfest in order to save her sister — hasn’t yet reached the cultural saturation of Stephenie Meyer’s megahit, comparisons are inevitable: Both are addictively readable young-adult series about a female teen in a complicated love triangle. But the similarities end there. HG is more thoughtful and much, much darker. The books (which hide a compelling antiwar message behind the veneer of a tween thriller) are exceptionally well written and expertly paced, with near-constant suspense. And unlike Twilight‘s passive, angsty Bella, Katniss is a self-possessed young woman who demonstrates equal parts compassion and fearlessness.

With a protagonist as appealing as Ms. Everdeen, it’s no surprise Hollywood has come courting. Besides, with both the Harry Potter series and 
The Twilight Saga winding down, the studios desperately need a new young-skewing franchise with a rabid fan base. Luckily for Lionsgate, it optioned the Hunger series back in March 2009. Veteran scribe Billy Ray (Shattered Glass) recently turned in a draft, and director Gary Ross (Seabiscuit) is in negotiations for the first film. If all goes well, the studio hopes to be in production by next spring.

But despite its vividly cinematic language, The Hunger Games won’t be easy to adapt. EW has seen an early copy of the script, which includes a note-by-note retelling of the Games. How can the studio show brutal kid-on-kid violence and still pull off a PG-13 rating? “It’s always going to be an intense subject matter, but you can tell the story with some restraint,” says producer Nina Jacobson, who praises the books for appealing to both girls and boys. “The only people these books are not for are those under 12. The movie will be the same.”
Link: http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/10/15/...r-games-movie/

Note that the article makes absolutely no mention of Battle Royale. Very strange stuff, reads like an Onion article.

Last edited by Groucho; 10-17-10 at 05:04 PM.
Old 10-17-10, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Tweens are going nuts for a "Battle Royale" rip-off

Silly Groucho?
Old 10-17-10, 05:04 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Silly Groucho?
Nope, here's the link to the article:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/10/15/...r-games-movie/
Old 10-17-10, 05:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah... very odd. Maybe they'll turn BR into a region 1 DVD and take it off the unofficial ban list
Old 10-17-10, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
Nope, here's the link to the article:

http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/10/15/...r-games-movie/
Have you heard of Harry Potter?
Old 10-17-10, 06:16 PM

Originally Posted by starman9000 View Post
Have you heard of Harry Potter?
Yes. I don't understand the relevance of the question?
Old 10-17-10, 06:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Because it's old news.
Old 10-19-10, 11:01 AM

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
Yeah... very odd. Maybe they'll turn BR into a region 1 DVD and take it off the unofficial ban list
Battle Royale and its sequel have been available on region 1 dvd for quite some time. Even Netflix has 'em.
Old 10-19-10, 11:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Navinabob View Post
It's not banned. The Japanese studio wants more for the rights than American companies are willing to pay.
Old 10-19-10, 12:04 PM

Katniss? The main character is named Katniss? Wow. Just...wow.

Old 10-20-10, 06:53 PM

I just wanted to chime in and say not to dismiss this series as another "Twilight". It's far from high literature, but the series is a very entertaining read. I'm a bookseller and it's a huge series for adults as well as the YA market. Lots of cross-over appeal.

It also goes a lot further than the arena battles and has a lot of commentary on politics and propaganda.

Also, just to play devils advocate and get the argument started: isn't Battle Royale a bit of a "Running Man" rip-off except with teens? I'm sure there are dozens of other examples too. I guess my point is that teens fighting in a televised arena is pretty much the extent of the similarities between what I know of Battle Royale and the Hunger Games series.
Old 10-21-10, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho View Post
I hadn't heard of these books until I read this article in Entertainment Weekly. There's apparently also a PG-13 movie in the works:

Link: http://shelf-life.ew.com/2010/10/15/...r-games-movie/

Note that the article makes absolutely no mention of Battle Royale. Very strange stuff, reads like an Onion article.
The Hunger games are HUGE, and it is not just tweens either. Many adults are picking this up

It is actually pretty good topic..I love books that deals with Dystopian societies.
Old 10-22-10, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

My ex who worked in publishing lent me the first book prior to publication and told me this was going to be huge. I never read it.

I'd like to see Scott Westerfeld's Uglies series on the big screen though.
Old 10-25-10, 03:47 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'm still pissed off a rip-off of Battle Royale is doing so well here in the US and next to no one seems to even care to mention it as an issue worth addressing.

Battle Royale is one of my favorite books, ever...
Old 10-26-10, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I picked up this series for my wife and ended up reading them all back to back to back. Very entertaining read.
Old 10-27-10, 02:03 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by auto View Post
I picked up this series for my wife and ended up reading them all back to back to back. Very entertaining read.
Have you read Battle Royale? I haven't actually read The Hunger Games, so I guess it would be unfair to completely dismiss it, but for someone who has read both I would like to hear some more comments regarding the comparison between the two.
Old 10-28-10, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm currently reading the third book in the series. Not bad at all. I am picking up BR today and can't wait to check that out and see how the two sets of stories compare.
Old 10-29-10, 07:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Enjoyed the Hunger Games Trilogy and think they will make pretty entertaining movies... Have yet to read BR although I loved the movie. Maybe I will pick the book up this weekend so I can compare the 2.
Old 01-03-11, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Great trilogy. Looking forward to the movies though they should be R rated to do it right.
Old 01-03-11, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 475 Likes on 305 Posts

I just finished these up a few weeks ago - GREAT series. Moved quickly, but a lot happened. Decisions had real consequences, there weren't many cop-outs with the storytelling, and it was just overall a very entertaining read.

Originally Posted by Ketamine View Post
Great trilogy. Looking forward to the movies though they should be R rated to do it right.
PG-13 is a fine rating. The books read like they are PG-13. They just don't have to show a lot of the more gruesome moments, and the books weren't that descriptive about that stuff anyway so I think it'll work fine. The biggest problem is the obvious one: a lot of children die. But it could easily work as a PG-13 movie.
Old 01-04-11, 12:23 AM
Banned

Just another voice to chime in that this is an incredible series. Just read all three books and loved them. I actually can't believe they aren't more popular than they seem to be.

I actually read Battle Royale back when that book first came out, too. Had to be almost ten years ago at this point. The Hunger Games was much more entertaining.
Old 01-04-11, 07:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I read the first two books, and think it's a fun series, but great? I can't go that far. I find the characters and plot to be a bit flat and on the nose. Still, it is very enjoyable, if not a bit light.
Old 01-04-11, 08:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I got my daughter the Hardcover trilogy as one of her christmas gifts.
Old 01-04-11, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 9 Likes on 4 Posts

Very good series. I'll have to check out Battle Royale to see how similar they end up being.
Old 01-05-11, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wonders if GenPion have read the hunger games yet

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.