Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-10, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Because of the Kindle iPad app, I've finally broken down and ordered a new Kindle. Granted there are screen differences, but the real reason is that the power draw of iPad just doesn't last long enough. I usually read in long bursts and can burn through all 10 hours.

Beyond that, however, I purchased a few books from iBooks and they were completely littered with scanning/spelling errors ... I found over 200 in Clancy's Executive Orders alone and have not run into that problem with the few books I've bought from Amazon. Have the rest of you run into this type of problem with Amazon ebooks?
Old 08-08-10, 11:23 AM

Concerning trade-ins, there are only three catagories that Amazon accepts: Movies & TV, Textbooks, and Video Games. Darn.
Old 08-08-10, 03:31 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I wish Amazon would lower the ebook prices on books that are mass market paperbacks. I actually get a cheaper price with their 4 for 3 paperback offer and then I have the physical copy to sell if I don't like it.
Old 08-08-10, 05:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by RonG617
I wish Amazon would lower the ebook prices on books that are mass market paperbacks. I actually get a cheaper price with their 4 for 3 paperback offer and then I have the physical copy to sell if I don't like it.
They and iBooks might soon be sued for their deals with publishers that don't allow discounting. Some AG is implying price collusion
Old 08-10-10, 08:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Preordered the new Wi-Fi only Kindle today. Hopefully the stock replenishes sooner than later.
Old 08-10-10, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by silentbob007
Because of the Kindle iPad app, I've finally broken down and ordered a new Kindle. Granted there are screen differences, but the real reason is that the power draw of iPad just doesn't last long enough. I usually read in long bursts and can burn through all 10 hours.

Beyond that, however, I purchased a few books from iBooks and they were completely littered with scanning/spelling errors ... I found over 200 in Clancy's Executive Orders alone and have not run into that problem with the few books I've bought from Amazon. Have the rest of you run into this type of problem with Amazon ebooks?
Yes. You will be encountering the same problems with typos on the Kindle.
Old 08-10-10, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Ahab
Yes. You will be encountering the same problems with typos on the Kindle.
Does Amazon release "updates" of titles to correct these typos as they are fixed?
Old 08-10-10, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by FrozenMetalHead
Does Amazon release "updates" of titles to correct these typos as they are fixed?
There have been updates that I know of. Mainly due to customers complaining about the problems when they review the Kindle book. But I am not aware of Amazon posting when a book has been updated. And to get an updated book you need to call customer support so that they can delete the older version from your account and make the new version availabe for download.

I once purchased a book I had previously read and found that a whole chapter had been left off the kindle edition. The pulbisher of the book did correct it after I and some other reviewers pointed it out.

I haven't gone through the updating process in about a year so I don't know if it has been streamlined. Seems to me they should set it up so a book updates automatically just like the software.

To be honest, I'm not as happy with the Kindle as I originally thought I would be. I only use it now when travelling away from home.
Old 08-10-10, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After finding typo after typo in the printed Hard Case Crime books, I just don't get too bent out of shape over them anymore. Sad I guess that my standards have been lowered, but oh well.
Old 08-10-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I haven't gone through the updating process in about a year so I don't know if it has been streamlined. Seems to me they should set it up so a book updates automatically just like the software.
The problem (or at least, a problem) is in annotations/highlights/bookmarks. If you update the book then the file that contains those marks doesn't work anymore (since they're just pointing to locations in the book that aren't valid).
Old 08-10-10, 09:49 PM

Originally Posted by WallyOPD
The problem (or at least, a problem) is in annotations/highlights/bookmarks. If you update the book then the file that contains those marks doesn't work anymore (since they're just pointing to locations in the book that aren't valid).
Good point. But I wish Amazon would at least send out a message indicating when a book has been corrected and give the owner the option to simply download the new version if she so wishes.
Old 08-11-10, 06:25 PM

Good point. But I wish Amazon would at least send out a message indicating when a book has been corrected and give the owner the option to simply download the new version if she so wishes.
I'm pretty sure they do, I've seen postings around the internet from folks stating that they got a notification to re-download a book they'd purchased.

The only time I ran into a book that bad, I contacted CS for a refund, then re-purchased it a few weeks later when I noticed it had been pulled from the store then re-added (after downloading a sample to make sure it was fixed, as the errors started early enough to be in the sample.)
Old 08-11-10, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm amused that the first (and so far only) Kindle book I've purchased has a typo in the author's name on the title page. I just downloaded the sample to verify that it's still there, and The Name of the Wind still lists the author as being Partick Rothfuss. Didn't exactly give me a ton of confidence in the rest of the book, although I only noticed a small handful of additional errors as I read, and it's a fairly lengthy book.
Old 08-12-10, 11:37 AM

I've been trying to decide on what to get for a while.

For whatever reason, this time last year - I was dead set against getting one..however, I was not prepared for the amount of time I spend reading now..and with the amount of money that I've spent on new books, I think this might be the best idea for me and my wallet.

I'm thinking about getting a Kindle..being Canadian, I don't think I have a whole lot of other options. Is the nook available here? I know the Kobo is sold through Chapters..but that's about all I know.
Old 08-23-10, 10:30 PM

anyone have suggestions on what ereader is best for PDfs?
Old 08-23-10, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by killahc
anyone have suggestions on what ereader is best for PDfs?
PDFs are not too great on the normal Kindle or Nook sized screens.
If PDF is a format you plan to read a lot of I would suggest either the iPad or the Kindle DX.
Old 08-24-10, 11:53 AM

I'm such a sucker. I just preordered the new Kindle, and I haven't even had mine a year yet. I saw that the Gen 2s are selling used for $160 on Amazon, so hopefully that would mean I could sell mine for about $150 on craigslist or my work's bulletin board. Here's hoping!
Old 08-24-10, 06:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Did you get the 3G version or the Wifi version? Graphite or White?

I ended up getting the 3G version and it should be here next Monday.
Old 08-25-10, 08:13 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I ordered the WiFi Graphite on August 2nd. So far, no word when it's getting shipped.
Any thoughts?
Old 08-25-10, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 697 Likes on 430 Posts

Ordered my 3G+WiFi Graphite on Aug 13th. Nothing yet, but then again I don't expect it until mid September. My cover (chocolate brown w/ light) shipped already though. Yay?
Old 08-25-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I ordered mine early enough that Amazon CSR said I was in the first shipment. They also said that it will ship on the 27th (I have Prime and took the 2 day free shipping) and will arrive on the 30th.

I also ordered a black case with the light and it has not shipped yet (it estimates the delivery for that as the 31st). I kind of hope they just ship together so I have it covered from the very beginning.
Old 08-25-10, 11:44 AM
Video Game Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by xmiyux
I ordered mine early enough that Amazon CSR said I was in the first shipment. They also said that it will ship on the 27th (I have Prime and took the 2 day free shipping) and will arrive on the 30th.

I also ordered a black case with the light and it has not shipped yet (it estimates the delivery for that as the 31st). I kind of hope they just ship together so I have it covered from the very beginning.
I ordered on the 27th as well using Prime and 2 day shipping.
I ordered the black case with light and that shows an estimated delivery of 8/31.

I emailed Amazon the other day to ask when my Kindle would ship since it still shows "need time to estimate delivery"

They sent a range of dates for estimated delivery based on when you ordered.

I believe that it said as long as you ordered by Aug 10th, perhaps, you would be in the first shipment. I'll post the actual details later tonight when I can access that email address.
Old 08-25-10, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Mine should be here tomorrow. July 29th, one day shipping.
Old 08-25-10, 03:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I ordered the WiFi Graphite on August 2nd. So far, no word when it's getting shipped.
Any thoughts?
You are right on the cutoff date for first or second shipment. Depends on what time of the day you ordered.
Old 08-25-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Vryce
I ordered on the 27th as well using Prime and 2 day shipping.
I ordered the black case with light and that shows an estimated delivery of 8/31.

I emailed Amazon the other day to ask when my Kindle would ship since it still shows "need time to estimate delivery"

They sent a range of dates for estimated delivery based on when you ordered.

I believe that it said as long as you ordered by Aug 10th, perhaps, you would be in the first shipment. I'll post the actual details later tonight when I can access that email address.
August 2nd by some certain time PST to be in the first shipment. I'll post the dates people were given when I get home and can search around more.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.