Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-13, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

The new Aura's are nice.

I've been using the Aura HD for a few months now and even though it's bigger than the new Aura, the size/weight difference isn't that big where I'd want to give up the extra 1" screen size and higher resolution and dpi of the HD. After using the HD for months, I tried using other e-readers with the lower resolution and I was surprised how much I missed the HD. I didn't think the detail in text would make as big a difference as it had.

In any case, it's great to see these companies upping the game with e-ink devices (especially Kobo). I never want to see e-ink devices go away as I find it to be VASTLY superior to reading book than tablets.
Old 09-04-13, 02:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Will the Aura HD be upgraded with Pocket and Beyond The Book? Also the multitouch on the Aura is a significant improvement over the HD, imo.
Old 09-04-13, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

I heard that those will be available in a near-future software update for previous devices.

The multitouch is better if you require it. I don't do anything fancy with my Kobo, I just read.

The one concern I have with the Aura is that the screen is flush with the bezel. I'm wondering if it's easier to accidentally turn pages because your thumb/finger may be touching the screen because you can't physically feel where the bezel ends and the screen begins. No different than a tablet of course, but I've gotten used to the elevated bezel being used as a physical guide to where I can move my thumb. I'm not sure I want that changed in future devices when it's time to upgrade (probably colour e-ink).
Old 11-07-13, 12:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 234 Likes on 167 Posts

After using a Kindle Keyboard for years, finally upgraded to the 2nd generation Kindle Paperweight 3G ($169 after a $20 off coupon). I LOVE it, it is an awesome device and I love being able to read in bed without turning on the light. It is LIGHT. Plan to get the official Amazon cover which is said to be light and a perfect fit and opening and closing turns on the Kindle and puts it to sleep. I've fallen in love with reading again I find myself wanting to read just one more page just because it is such a joy to use that device.
Old 06-17-15, 11:26 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Amazon is releasing a new Paperwhite:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00OQVZDJM/...b_s_kin_nq3hvl

Better resolution, new exclusive font. Last year I bought a Paperwhite to replace my broken Touch and I'm happy with it. No need for me to upgrade just yet.
Old 06-17-15, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I really wish the Kindle Voyage was cheaper. I love the idea of the self-adjusting light and the haptic feedback page turn buttons.

But the thing is just so darn expensive compared to the Paperwhite that I already own.
Old 06-17-15, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,743 Likes on 1,889 Posts

My Kindle wishlist would be one with a bigger screen, at least 7" but ideally closer to 8". The current 6" screen size just feels too dinky. I'd rather have something sized more like an actual book.

If the Voyage had a larger screen and took a mini SD card, I'd probably be willing to pay $200 for it.

For a long time I considered getting a Kobo Aura HD, but after reading a lot of complaints about them going kaput and shitty customer service from Kobo, I didn't.
Old 06-26-15, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are welcome new member markhenry who is absolutely not a spammer trying to get his post count up!