Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-11, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: The Official eBook & eReader Thread

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
I'd say the original Nook, with it's latest firmware and what not, is just as good as K3. Hell, include epub support and library support and Nook trumps it IMO. Sure, library book selection isn't the best and there are waitlists, but I've already covered the cost of my Nook in less than 3 months with the library rentals, something I couldn't do with K3. I'm a user of both, but I've been using the K3 less and less in favor of the Nook. Though the ability to use the browser over 3G is pretty awesome on K3, something Nook cannot do. Haven't tried Nook Color, as LCD does not appeal to me either as far as reading is concerned.
I'm going to repeat something that I said earlier. I still love Sony's ereader the best. They have 3 formfactors, so you can pick your favorite size, their 350/650/950 have screens that are the same quality/contrast as the Kindle 3, they have full epub support, they support library lending, they support expansion cards (SD and memory stick) have a model with wireless & free 3G (950), have all models with a glare free touchscreen, and at least in the 900 version (I can't justify an upgrade at this point) had a user replacable battery. Even better, while their included software blows, there is a developer who makes an amazing replacement (Calibre). I honestly can't recommend them enough.
Old 02-11-11, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Hardware wise, the Kindle is better than the e-ink Nook mostly because I really dislike the touchscreen on the Nook (I find a bizarre disconnect between the interaction of the screens). The better contrast goes a long way too.

If price isn't any issue I would say go with a Sony they are the like best of Kindle and Nook combined, specifically the 950 as mentioned. It's $300, but it basically has everything you'd want, plus it's a 7" display.

Of course if you plan on buying a lot of books, Amazon has the single best store. The other stores don't match in selection and sometimes, surprisingly, price.

If you read a lot of public domain books you don't have to pay for them on any e-reader and that more than covers the costs of a device.
Old 02-11-11, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I have to admit I like the look of the Sony 650, but I don't like the touchscreen. I accidentally end up turning pages on my Nook Color when I put it down to do something with the kids, or whatever. I prefer pageturn buttons over touch-to-turn. If you could turn off touchscreen pageturning I'd love it.

My Nook on the latest firmware seriously is 90% as good as the Kindle 3, hardwarewise. BIG improvement on the 1.5 firmware. My wife has a K3. The page turning is barely, barely faster than the Nook, and the contrast is also only a smidgen better.
Old 03-02-11, 01:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did anyone see the article on harpercollins making a change to their library ebooks (overdrive) so they expire after 26 checkouts. Boy those publishers are trying their damnedest to destroy the ebook format aren't they?
Old 03-04-11, 09:19 AM

Originally Posted by Sirgey
did anyone see the article on harpercollins making a change to their library ebooks (overdrive) so they expire after 26 checkouts. Boy those publishers are trying their damnedest to destroy the ebook format aren't they?
The music industry was hurt by its attempt to fight digital files rather than sell them.

The publishing industry is in the same situation, only a bit worse, as a huge book file is smaller than a small music file. It boggles my mind that publishers fight when they could be making money. Music lovers re-purchased their vinyl and tape collections on CDs, movie lovers re-purchased their VHS and Beta collections on DVD, and in both cases drove huge sales. This is the publishing industry's chance to do the same, and instead they are acting like slow learners.

I bought an eReader (Sony 650) at the beginning of 2010, and have purchased several books I already own, just for the convenience of the new format. I don't even complain about the prices being the same for paperbacks and ebooks. What drives me crazy is that so many books, even recent ones or perennial classics, are not for sale on any legal online store.

Sorry, rant over.

For anyone looking to buy a ereader, I suggest the 650 from Sony. It costs a bit more, but has great features, supports numerous formats and stores, and has a great user interface.
Old 03-07-11, 11:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Capitol of the Empire! Center of all Commerce and Culture! Crossroads of Civilization! NEW ROME!!!...aka New York City

Originally Posted by outlander78
The music industry was hurt by its attempt to fight digital files rather than sell them.

The publishing industry is in the same situation, only a bit worse, as a huge book file is smaller than a small music file. It boggles my mind that publishers fight when they could be making money. Music lovers re-purchased their vinyl and tape collections on CDs, movie lovers re-purchased their VHS and Beta collections on DVD, and in both cases drove huge sales. This is the publishing industry's chance to do the same, and instead they are acting like slow learners.

I bought an eReader (Sony 650) at the beginning of 2010, and have purchased several books I already own, just for the convenience of the new format. I don't even complain about the prices being the same for paperbacks and ebooks. What drives me crazy is that so many books, even recent ones or perennial classics, are not for sale on any legal online store.

Sorry, rant over.

For anyone looking to buy a ereader, I suggest the 650 from Sony. It costs a bit more, but has great features, supports numerous formats and stores, and has a great user interface.
What these morons dont understand is that low priced e-books will get a larger set of eyes on each individual book, some of which will be purchased in paper format to keep in collections, be available to lend, re-read, and have available for kids when they wander over to the bookshelf.
Old 03-08-11, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,016 Likes on 840 Posts

Kindle's Facebook page is running a device giveaway to 10 random likers
Old 03-10-11, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Somewhat Official Kindle Lending Site
A friend of mine sent me this link ... I haven't tried it yet.
Seems nicely put together and organized.

Lendle.Me
Old 03-22-11, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by outlander78

Sorry, rant over.

kindle, ipad or something with google books

sometimes you have to go with the herd even if the specs are worse
Old 03-22-11, 01:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sony has google books now.
Old 03-22-11, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
Somewhat Official Kindle Lending Site
A friend of mine sent me this link ... I haven't tried it yet.
Seems nicely put together and organized.

Lendle.Me
It is kaput. Amazon revoked their API.
Old 03-24-11, 08:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by crazyronin
It is kaput. Amazon revoked their API.
Apparently now de-kaputed.
Old 03-24-11, 03:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by marty888
Apparently now de-kaputed.
I heard it was down ... I guess Amazon worked things out ... ?

Has anyone tried it?
Old 03-24-11, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Anyone have experience with the Kobo reader? The wife wants an inexpensive e-ink reader and this looks like a good entry-level price point.
Old 03-24-11, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Septemberbaby
I heard it was down ... I guess Amazon worked things out ... ?

Has anyone tried it?
Sorry I can't find the link right now but I heard it's back now. Amazon just had a problem with one aspect of the site.

Yeah this post is pretty useless without me being able to find the article
Old 03-24-11, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by mgbfan
Anyone have experience with the Kobo reader? The wife wants an inexpensive e-ink reader and this looks like a good entry-level price point.
The Kobos do look reasonable but with a wifi only Kindle at 139$ I don't think I would go for the Kobo. The Kindle has the newer screen, a bigger company backing them, and is riding on a wave of success that will hopefully drive Amazon to support the product for a long time.
Old 03-24-11, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by xmiyux
The Kobos do look reasonable but with a wifi only Kindle at 139$ I don't think I would go for the Kobo. The Kindle has the newer screen, a bigger company backing them, and is riding on a wave of success that will hopefully drive Amazon to support the product for a long time.
But the Kobo supports epub and library books. Big deal for some. Using Calibre to convert is meaningless for DRM'd books.
Old 03-24-11, 11:19 PM

Yeah, the library thing was part of my thinking. I can see her really using that feature. Plus they can be had new on eBay for in the range of $80 (a lot of people scooped them up cheap in Borders liquidations, I think).

I also don't like the notion that anything that goes on the Kindle that's not in their format has to be sent through the site. That seems decidedly like something I'd be too lazy to maintain.
Old 03-25-11, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Hero

get a kindle and go with the herd

i've learned long ago not to shop on specs but to buy what everyone else is buying. in the end it will get the most developer and other support and end up being a better product.

for e-readers it's kindle or iPad. i have the ipad and have the kindle, nook, ibooks and kobo reader apps on it. use the kindle the most. amazon always has free books for the kindle that are worth reading
Old 03-25-11, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by HE Pennypacker
But the Kobo supports epub and library books. Big deal for some. Using Calibre to convert is meaningless for DRM'd books.
Do you do library books on yours?

Here is why I ask. On paper it sounds like a great feature... but in application I found it to be pretty disappointing. Many public library systems don't have much of an ebook collection. The other much larger problem is when they buy a book for that collection it can only be checked out to one person at a time (typically for 2 weeks). That means they have to buy multiple copies to allow a decent turnover. Also, those patrons often let it auto-check in when the 14 days expire versus a popular paper book might be returned early. End result is that for a popular ebook the wait list might literally be over a year long while the paper version could be had in a month or two.

Another big problem is the publishers putting ebooks into the library system. One of the major publishers is restricting an ebook to 26 checkouts and then the library has to buy a new copy. That alone is going to heavily stifle growth on that front because it becomes a poor investment.

As for epub and DRM - that really only applies if you are buying specifically from Borders or B&N. Amazon matches or beats both those sites pretty often on book prices so I don't see it as a big deal.

So if library use is a big deal to you I highly recommend going to your local library and seeing what their ebook collection is like. Try putting one of the popular ones on hold and read it on your PC and see what the hold time is like.

Yeah, the library thing was part of my thinking. I can see her really using that feature. Plus they can be had new on eBay for in the range of $80 (a lot of people scooped them up cheap in Borders liquidations, I think).

I also don't like the notion that anything that goes on the Kindle that's not in their format has to be sent through the site. That seems decidedly like something I'd be too lazy to maintain.

Doesn't have to go through their site. You run Calibre on your computer. That will put nearly anything you want on your Kindle without going to the Amazon site at all.
Old 03-25-11, 10:00 AM

Ahh, didn't know that. Definitely makes the Kindle more appealing.
Old 03-25-11, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by xmiyux
You run Calibre on your computer. That will put nearly anything you want on your Kindle without going to the Amazon site at all.
I use it quite a bit and it's what made me go with the Kindle over anything else.
Old 03-25-11, 11:40 PM

Thanks for the info all. I feel like a slightly less ignorant shopper now.
Old 03-26-11, 06:00 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
. . . i've learned long ago not to shop on specs but to buy what everyone else is buying. in the end it will get the most developer and other support and end up being a better product. . .
Some weighty perspective here.
Old 03-26-11, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by JAA
Some weighty perspective here.
There's a lot of truth behind it.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.