Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-11, 12:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: The Dresden Files by Jim Butcher

Originally Posted by wmansir
Just finished it and agree with both of you guys. Not as good as Changes, but not a disappointment either. I'm still mulling it over.

The ghost angle was interesting, but ultimately not a great fit for a Dresden story. I found myself missing the John McClain, bloody feet, battered, bruised but still fighting Dresden. Also the ghost rules weren't clearly defined and were so flexible that it drained a lot of the tension. Butcher routinely bends or expands the magical rules in the series, but there is at least a solid foundation for the reader to orient themselves with. And besides, Dresden is the reader's guide to the world of magic and in this book he's nearly as lost as the rest of us.
Just finished it too. I kind of agree and disagree with you. The ghost thing was really not working for me at first but I got into it and think it's def. a great follow up to Changes. I believe the fact the the rules were not clearly defined and it was all very uncertain was on purpose. He was finding his way in a new situation and we, as readers, were too. Most of us hate for our characters to change and be in unfamiliar territory but I'm sure the author gets bored and needs to do something so he doesn't ruin the series for us or himself.

The part in Molly's head was classic Dresden. I wish I could see a video of that that is as great as it was in my head.
Old 08-24-11, 12:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 219 Likes on 131 Posts

Just finished Ghost Story earlier this week. I enjoyed it well enough, I guess, but it left me a little disappointed. Looking back, it felt to me more like a short story bridging Changes and whatever comes next, as opposed to a full novel in the series. Also, the direction Butcher went might hurt the series down the road.
Spoiler:
It lowers the stakes a bit when it comes off that death's not a big deal, we can follow along with characters after they've bit it and it's possible people will come back. And bringing the Corpsetaker back felt like a forced means to connect this book with a previous one.
Hopefully the next book is better. This is really the first one where I felt like the quality was a step down, as opposed to being as good or better than the preceding book.

Last edited by maxfisher; 08-25-11 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-25-11, 08:52 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 86 Likes on 67 Posts

Can you guys please use goddamn spoiler tags? Some of us are not caught up on the series yet.
Old 08-25-11, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Xander
Can you guys please use goddamn spoiler tags? Some of us are not caught up on the series yet.
Sorry man. I read the last couple posts before mine and didn't even think of it. Plot-related items should definitely be spoiled in a thread like this.
Old 08-25-11, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I did read a recent interview where he said that before he'd even written the first book, he had a very detailed outline of the major events of the series and how it would end. I think he said he's now expecting it to take about 22 books to tell the whole story, which would mean we're slightly over halfway through.
From what I've read on Butcher's forum he has a 20ish-book "case file" outline for the series followed by a final 3 book apocalypse trilogy. However, he has said that he's already about 3 books behind the outline as Ghost story was suppose to be the midpoint.

The bad-ish news is I also read he is taking a break from Dresden and starting a new fantasy series with his next book.
Old 08-25-11, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I really enjoyed his Alera Codex series - so he can do good fantasy.

However, even his good fantasy wasn't as good as the Dresden series.
Old 08-26-11, 05:00 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I actually enjoyed Codex Alera more than Dresden. Both are great though and if Butcher wants to start a new fantasy series, I'll be glad to have it. The guy seems to have a great work ethic and gets at least one book done a year. Hell, I think during Alera, he may have been turning out two books a year.
Old 08-26-11, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I have to agree with xmiyux. Alera was good, but I didn't enjoy it as much as Dresden. It had some good ideas though and improved as it went along. I'll definitely be checking out the new series.
Old 07-22-13, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

A little late but I just finished Cold Days. I actually read this one instead of listening to the audiobook. That's a first for the Dresden Files.

I'm still digesting a bit but my initial though is that I'm a bit disappointed. It has a couple of things going against it.

First, this books seems to be the first one explicitly setting up the conflict that will be focus of the series arc, so it has to establish a lot of stuff without much resolution, and there is very little resolution in this book. Because of that the story of this book never really jelled for me.

Second, Harry is no longer the little guy. He hasn't been for a while, but even as he gained power, respect and "legitimate" authority in the magic world he still felt like he was playing over his head. I didn't really get that feeling with this book.

Third, the struggle against corruption. The series has always had an aspect of Dresden's resisting temptation. Being noble is kind of Harry's thing. A lot of this book focused on Dresden resisting and being fearful of the Winter Knight mantle taking over his soul. It wasn't badly written, I just didn't find it a very compelling part of the story.

That said it had a lot of the usual stuff I like about the Dresden series (action, humor, characters, etc) and it set up quite a bit of interesting stuff for the future.
Old 08-06-13, 12:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 43 Likes on 25 Posts

I just started Storm Front. A little late to the game. LOL!

Originally Posted by maxfisher
I actually enjoyed Codex Alera more than Dresden. Both are great though and if Butcher wants to start a new fantasy series, I'll be glad to have it.
Jim’s next project is a Steampunk series called The Cinder Spires. He’s currently writing book 1, The Aeronaut’s Windlass.