Reload this Page >

Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Old 03-08-12, 09:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I recently picked up Dead Harvest because the cover is so frickin' cool. But when I went to skim the first few pages, I ended up reading well into the night. It's fantastic. The perfect blend of urban fantasy and pulp crime fiction.

Fans of the Hard Case Crime series who also like to read fantasy novels should definitely look into it.

Here's the description from Amazon:

Meet Sam Thornton, Collector of Souls.

Samís job is to collect the souls of the damned, and ensure their souls are dispatched to the appropriate destination.

But when heís dispatched to collect the soul of a young woman he believes to be innocent of the horrific crime thatís doomed her to Hell, he says something no Collector has ever said before.

ďNo.Ē
Old 03-08-12, 02:24 PM
PAG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Dead Harvest by Chris F. Holm

I'm about halfway through Dead Harvest right now. I am enjoying it.
Old 03-08-12, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts

I've been reading a few interesting reviews and interviews ...

The Debut Review

The Qwillery

SFFWorld

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 03-13-12 at 08:05 PM.
Old 03-08-12, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I look forward to hearing what you guys think about it. I couldn't put the damn thing down.
Old 03-12-12, 03:40 PM
PAG

I finished it last night. Very entertaining book. I have never read an Urban Fantasy genre book before (I mostly read crime fiction), but it was good. I will be reading the second entry in the Collector series (The Wrong Goodbye) when it comes out this Fall.
Old 03-12-12, 09:36 PM

Received 97 Likes on 80 Posts

I'll have to pick this up -- sounds like something I'd like. Never heard of it before.
Old 03-13-12, 06:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up. It sounds very interesting (and I'm indeed a big HCC fan). And, yes, that cover is sweet.

I'll probably get the ebook since I plan on ordering a Kindle in a week or two. The price is right for this one, compared to other ebooks I've seen. I'm sure I'll get over it in time like I have with digital music, but ebooks generally seem overpriced, IMO, especially since Amazon lost the pricing war against the publishers. I guess the heft of a physical book has a psychological effect on me. (I plan on using my Kindle mostly for public domain titles, Kindle Singles, on sale books, and self-published ones - a friend just put one out.) End of rant. Ha ha.
Old 03-25-12, 07:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by bishop2knight
I look forward to hearing what you guys think about it. I couldn't put the damn thing down.
Thanks again for the recommendation. After two days of reading, I just finished. I never read a book that quickly, unless I'm on vacation. I, too, mostly just read crime noir lately, but the story sucked me in. (The newness of reading on a Kindle probably helped, as well.) I really enjoyed it and look forward to the next Collector book.

I'm going to buy Holm's collection of short stories tonight. It's only a buck. Anyone read it?

http://www.amazon.com/Pounds-Eight-H...2719930&sr=1-2
Old 03-29-12, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I haven't read his short stories, but if he can keep me into a story the way he did with Dead Harvest, I'm thinking he can keep my attention focused with a short story, no problem.

Glad you like it DJ.
Old 03-30-12, 09:13 AM

Picked this up at my LBS last night -- looking forward to reading it.
Old 07-11-12, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Awesome news:

Good News for Chris F. Holm Fans – We’ve Signed Him Up for a New ‘Collector’ Book
By Darren

We’re very, very pleased indeed to be able to make the following announcement:

Following the critical and sales success of Chris F. Holm‘s debut novel Dead Harvest, and with the noise already building for The Wrong Goodbye‘s upcoming release in October this year, we’ve snapped up Chris’s third book in the Collector series.

Called The Big Reap, it threatens to reveal a whole lot more of the machinations of some of Hell’s most powerful characters, as soul collector Sam Thornton gets himself in a whole universe of trouble.
Dead Harvest, by Chris F. HolmThe Wrong Goodbye, by Chris F. Holm

Angry Robot Publisher guy Marc Gascoigne said of the new deal: “Sam Thornton is a wonderful character and his adventures damnably great fun, so we are delighted to welcome him back for more. The talented Chris Holm makes it all seem so easy.”

Author guy Chris F. Holm added: “Look, there ain’t much hardboiled about the word ‘delighted’. Nor ‘chuffed’. ‘Thrilled’ is better, I suppose; puts one in mind of white-knuckled reading. I mean, no one stops in an airport bookstore to pick up a delighter for their trip. Wait, what were we talking about again?

“Oh, right! I am thrilled, and delighted, and possibly even chuffed (being American, it’s hard to tell) to be continuing my Collector series with Angry Robot. The Big Reap is going to be both epic and unexpected, and if I do say so myself, I’m pretty sure it’s gonna rock. But more importantly, it’ll provide Angry Robot – who are, monomaniacal obsession with world domination aside, the finest folks a writer could hope to work with – an excuse to create another kickass vintage pulp cover.

“That’s right, I admit it: I’m in it for the killer covers. If I have to keep writing crazy-ass demonic adventure-noir to keep ‘em coming, then so be it.”

Sounds like we’re going to have another killer cover to reveal at some point in the future. Any bloggers out there particularly keen on hosting that one? Shout out in the comments if so…
http://angryrobotbooks.com/2012/06/g...ollector-book/

The second book will be a release day purchase for me in a few months and I'm really glad there's going to be a third one.

And I finished his short story collection - 8 Pounds - a little while back and can recommend it. For only a buck, it's well worth it.
Old 09-26-12, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up that the second Collector novel - The Wrong Goodbye - came out yesterday. Already got my copy and I can't wait to start it.

A couple of months back, Holm was cool enough to send out signed bookmarks to whoever asked for one on Twitter:

Old 07-29-13, 08:10 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Just a heads up that Holm's latest Collector book comes out tomorrow.

I'm really looking forward to it.
Old 07-29-13, 11:02 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I had forgotten about this series as I still have to catch up by reading installment #2.
Old 08-11-13, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The recent bump reminded me to read the first book. I did a few days ago. I liked, but didn't love it. 3.5/5. Very good action, good world building and concept, and a quick read. The characters were thin, but serviceable. My biggest issue was the detective/mystery aspect wasn't well developed.
Old 08-12-13, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Thanks for the heads up on this. I'll pick up Dead Harvest when I get a chance.
Old 08-12-13, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 101 Likes on 63 Posts

Sounds like an interesting enough author, but right now I have so many unread books that I would only grab one of his books if it was free, does he ever have free days?
Old 08-13-13, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've never seen them free, but his two short story collections are only a buck each if you want to sample his writing style for minimal investment.

I finished The Big Reap the other day and really enjoyed it. It was a very nice surprise to see my name listed in the acknowledgements. I asked Holm about it and he just wanted to thank me for my relentless online pimping of his books.

But if it was his plan to get me to also buy a physical copy of the book, it worked.