Reload this Page >

Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Old 08-09-10, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Hard Case Crime, Part 4

Well crap. I guess that explains why I never got the newest book after just joining the book club. I hope I get my two dollars back! lol As far as finding existing titles, I know around here my options are the typical Barnes & Noble and Borders. I'm lucky if I can find the most current there. Back in May or June I found two from Westlake (Memory and Somebody owes me money) and that were the ONLY HCC books they had in stock.
Old 08-10-10, 11:14 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Poop.
Old 08-11-10, 10:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I too hope Hard Case is able to continue publishing. I need to pick up the few books I don't have.

Semi-related... is anyone watching Haven on SyFy? (It's very loosely based on King's Colorado Kid and is executive produced by Charles Ardai).
Old 08-11-10, 11:06 AM

Received 90 Likes on 76 Posts

^ Yeah, I've been watching. Still waiting for it to get good (mediocre thus far, imo). Ardai is credited as a Creative Consultant on the show, I believe.
Old 08-11-10, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Geofferson
^ Yeah, I've been watching. Still waiting for it to get good (mediocre thus far, imo). Ardai is credited as a Creative Consultant on the show, I believe.
I thought the book was mediocre at best.
Old 08-11-10, 06:01 PM

Great news guys. HCC looks to have struck an interesting deal with Subterranean Press. Details at the link.

http://subterraneanpress.com/index.p...rranean-press/

Last edited by Geofferson; 08-11-10 at 06:08 PM.
Old 08-11-10, 07:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You are correct about Ardai's role - sorry I misspoke.

You're also correct about the show's mediocrity, although I think it is getting continually better. So I have hope!
Old 08-12-10, 05:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Great news guys. HCC looks to have struck an interesting deal with Subterranean Press. Details at the link.

http://subterraneanpress.com/index.p...rranean-press/
"We’re pleased to announce that we’ve just reached agreement to publish an exclusive Hard Case Crime volume, which will also be the first in the series to debut in hardcover."

Bleh. Just give me my cheap paperbacks!
Old 08-14-10, 12:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

I work for Cowley Distributors. Dorchester will stop accepting returns/credits on Nov. 1st for unsold books. I was informed today to remove all Hard Case Crime books from my stores and return them. Get them while you can.
Old 08-17-10, 06:02 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

So I contacted Dorchester today about signing up for the book club, being charged the two dollars and not hearing or seeing anything. Made a reference to rw2516's comment just as a fishing expedition

Got this in response:

Originally Posted by Dorchester Pub CS
Dave,

We are currently in a period of transition so some things are still unsettled. We can tell you that when you joined, the August title had already been processed and so you are in line to receive the next mailing in the club which would be an October title in late September as that club has been every other month since 2010 began. We are unable to tell you what that October title will be although it will be in the same genre - noire crime mystery - and will be in mass market paperback format. As we move toward e-books, we are switching warehouses for our backlist titles and so no new orders are being fulfilled until that change has taken place. In the meantime we can send you out one of the Hard Case Crime titles listed below so you have something to show for your $2.00. Please let us know which title you choose as your free book.

NOBODY'S ANGEL by Jack Clark
KILL NOW, PAY LATER by Robert Terrall
LEMONS NEVER LIE by Richard Stark

As for the other comments that you read on the blog, it sounds like those were intended for book stores. We really can't comment on that as we are customer service for individual customers. As far as we know at this point, we will continue to take orders for backlist titles once the transition to a new warehouse is complete.

Let us know which book we can send out to you from our office. We apologize for any confusion. We should be able to more completely answer your questions in the next couple of weeks. Thank you for your patience.
I wrote back and thanked them for contacting me, picked a book, and they wrote back again saying they'd send me a second one for free as well. So apparently I'm getting two HCC books. I guess they have a handful of HCC books in the office, but obviously not all.
Old 08-18-10, 06:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My comment only concerns retail stores. We pull unsold books and return them to publisher for credit. Don't know how long the credit process takes but the higher ups want to return them now. Dorchester also publishes westerns. One came in yesterday and I just sent it back for credit, not putting it out.
Old 08-18-10, 11:12 AM

Assuming this puts an end to Ardai's sister project (Gabriel Hunt). Unfortunate news all around.
Old 08-18-10, 11:13 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Assuming this puts an end to Ardai's sister project (Gabriel Hunt). Unfortunate news all around.
Hadn't even thought of that! Damn!
Old 08-19-10, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by rw2516
My comment only concerns retail stores. We pull unsold books and return them to publisher for credit. Don't know how long the credit process takes but the higher ups want to return them now. Dorchester also publishes westerns. One came in yesterday and I just sent it back for credit, not putting it out.
I understand that, but if the books are no longer in retail stores, that concerns us as customers as well.
Old 08-20-10, 06:53 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I understand that, but if the books are no longer in retail stores, that concerns us as customers as well.
That's why I say get them now. Go to the stores and grab what you can find before they get sent back.
Old 08-20-10, 08:43 PM

Things are looking good for HCC. Recent Tweet from Ardai:

Charles Ardai (CharlesArdai):
Still out filming but want to confirm: Dorchester's woes do NOT mean the end of #HardCaseCrime. In talks w/ 8 interested publishers.
Old 08-21-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

That's great, but I wonder if the future's only bright for future books or if that includes reprinting the back catalog. I still have about 40 HCC books to buy and I am freaking out a bit regarding rw2516's news, especially since I don't really have the funds right now to buy all of those right away.
Old 08-21-10, 09:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by DJLinus
That's great, but I wonder if the future's only bright for future books or if that includes reprinting the back catalog. I still have about 40 HCC books to buy and I am freaking out a bit regarding rw2516's news, especially since I don't really have the funds right now to buy all of those right away.
Exactly my issue. I lucked out last week and found about 6 or so in various used book stores in my area. Not my first choice, but if it's the only way to get them. I prefer new, unmarked, unbent up books, but I'll take what I can get, and they weren't too bad.
Old 08-21-10, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus
Probably be able to find these forever on Amazon. Don't know about books, but I've seen OOP cds stay listed on Amazon still they sell out. CDs I know are no longer available will even have the "more on the way" statement until the last one is sold, then changes to "no longer available. Amazon may not return books for credit. Large book stores like Barnes & Noble may not return them either. That's why you can find practically entire catalog of a lot of authors at large stores. Other retail stores that carry books(grocery, drug, discount stores) constantly pull titles to make way for new stuff, completely changing out the shelves every month or so. I've found first version of bestselling paperbacks with cover that dupes the HC in large bookstores long after the book has been reissued with the generic author cover.
Old 09-29-10, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went into a local used bookstore yesterday on a whim and walked out with 24 HCC books that were in mint condition. Someone had just turned in their collection apparently, since last time I was there a few weeks ago they had zero. I'm down to missing about 15-20 books.
Old 09-29-10, 04:45 PM

I love used bookstore visits like that -- nice take!
Old 09-29-10, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by rw2516
Probably be able to find these forever on Amazon. Don't know about books, but I've seen OOP cds stay listed on Amazon still they sell out. CDs I know are no longer available will even have the "more on the way" statement until the last one is sold, then changes to "no longer available. Amazon may not return books for credit. Large book stores like Barnes & Noble may not return them either. That's why you can find practically entire catalog of a lot of authors at large stores.
I hope so, but I dunno. It seems more and more of Amazon's HCC titles are either out of stock (without the option to purchase directly from them) or shipping in "1 to 3 weeks". I guess there's always their Marketplace. *sigh*

Originally Posted by dgmayor
I went into a local used bookstore yesterday on a whim and walked out with 24 HCC books that were in mint condition. Someone had just turned in their collection apparently, since last time I was there a few weeks ago they had zero. I'm down to missing about 15-20 books.
Awesome find. One of things I miss most about living in Columbus is the abundance of used book stores there. Richmond's got crap in that department.
Old 10-20-10, 05:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Charles Ardai
The news is out: #HardCaseCrime to return in 2011 in collab. with the amazing Titan Publishing -- http://titanbooks.com/.
Old 10-20-10, 05:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Excellent! A little more info I found:

Hard Case Crime to Relaunch with Titan Publishing
By Jason Boog on October 20, 2010 3:53 PM

Hard Case Crime has cut a new deal with the U.K.-based Titan Publishing; the hardboiled crime and thriller imprint will relaunch in 2011.

Titan specializes in glossy TV companion books and cinema reference titles. They have published guides to Lost, 24, Firefly, Battlestar Galactica, Smallville, and many other television shows. They also published reference books like The Alfred Hitchcock Story and The Winston Effect: The Art & History of the Stan Winston Studio. Read more about Hard Case founder Charles Ardai at this link.

Shots eZine has the scoop: “Hard Case Crime will relaunch in September/October 2011 with four new books, including CHOKE HOLD by Christa Faust (sequel to her Edgar Award-nominated MONEY SHOT), QUARRY’S EX by Max Allan Collins (the latest in the popular series of hit man novels by the author of “Road to Perdition”), and two never-before-published novels by MWA Grand Masters (names to be announced shortly). Additionally, Titan Publishing plans to acquire all existing stock of Hard Case Crime’s backlist from Dorchester Publishing and to resume shipping these titles to booksellers immediately.” (Via Sarah Weinman)

Hard Case will leave Dorchester Publishing (a company that recently adopted an eBook first model), just as reports of more troubles have surfaced at the company.

http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat...lishing_b14592
That was my greatest concern. Guess I don't need to go hunting for all of those old books and spend money I don't have right away after all. *whew!*

EDIT: Oh, wait a sec. That doesn't mean they'll be republishing the back catalog. Hmmmm.
Old 10-20-10, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts

Wonderful news! Kind of an oddball publisher to take this on. I'm curious what, if anything, will change--type of paper, cover stock, book size, design ... This will be an interesting development ...

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.