Hard Case Crime, Part 3

Community
Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

Hard Case Crime, Part 3

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-08, 02:46 PM

Received 99 Likes on 82 Posts
FYI, Fifty-to-One is also being released in a signed, hardcover edition -- not available until 12/31 though.
Old 12-09-08, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer Emeritus

Received 70 Likes on 50 Posts
Here's something interesting. Check out the cover art of the latest HCC announcement. Are they going for a wraparound redesign? If so, nice touch!

LOSERS LIVE LONGER
by Russell Atwood

September 2009
Cover art by Robert McGinnis (obviously)

The death of legendary private eye George Rowell looked like an accident—but searching for the truth behind it will put down-and-out East Village detective Payton Sherwood on the trail of a runaway investment scam artist, a drug-addicted reality TV star—and the bewitching beauty whose appearance set it all in motion...

--First publication ever!
--By the author of the cult classic EAST OF A, and featuring the same detective, Payton Sherwood
--Author was formerly an editor at Ellery Queen’s Mystery Magazine and on the staff of the great New York mystery bookstore, The Black Orchid

Raves for the Work of Russell Atwood...

"[Atwood’s] place descriptions are clearly, even beautifully, focused, and his tawdry locales are inhabited by characters who are not only fascinating to study but also real enough to look back at you."
— The New York Times

"Impressive...Atwood takes the rusty private eye novel and oils it and gives it new charm and a fresh look."
— Michael Connelly

"Establishes a new category of suspense fiction: downtown noir. Atwood definitely has his finger on the pulse of the city that never sleeps."
— Jeffery Deaver

Last edited by Jason Bovberg; 12-09-08 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-10-08, 08:18 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
Here's something interesting. Check out the cover art of the latest HCC announcement. Are they going for a wraparound redesign? If so, nice touch!

LOSERS LIVE LONGER
by Russell Atwood

September 2009
Cover art by Robert McGinnis (obviously)
Nice. Wraparound or maybe horizontal presentation? Face reminds me of Cher.
Old 12-10-08, 09:56 AM

Very handsome cover.
Old 12-10-08, 07:31 PM

I just e-chatted with Charles Ardai, and here's the scoop about that intriguing cover:

"It's just a horizontal cover. The book will be bound the ordinary way (along a long edge) and will be read the ordinary way; it's just that you'll have to turn the book 90 degrees clockwise to see the front cover properly. Bob McGinnis painted a horizontal cover for one of the old Carter Brown books back in the day; there was also a famous horizontal cover for THE GRIFTERS (recently featured on The Rap Sheet); and I thought it would be fun to do one in our line."
Old 12-27-08, 12:34 PM

New Lawrence Block hitting stores shortly--the perfect item to use up the last of that Barnes & Noble gift card.

Old 12-27-08, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My book club copy hasn't shown up yet. I'm really excited for that book. When i saw the cover posted several months back it intrigued me.
Old 12-27-08, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Killing Castro is good, not great. Very short, so a quick read.
Old 12-28-08, 09:54 AM

I just finished Fifty-To-One. Tell me if I'm missing something.

Spoiler:
Am I correct that the entire heist depended on the fact Tricia guessed everything? Not only did she get lucky with the combination of the safe, but not a single person involved in coming up with the plan even knew for sure that there was a safe to be robbed or how to get to it? I suspected early on that Larry and Don (the writers) actually stole the money. I assumed that they had some inside information though. By the end of the book it seems that they didn't really know anything either.
Old 01-09-09, 03:14 PM

Re: Hard Case Crime, Part 3

Latest announcement...

HONEY IN HIS MOUTH
Lester Dent
October 2009
ISBN: 0-8439-6122-8
Cover art by Ron Lesser

WHAT WOULD YOU DO IF YOU WERE A DEAD RINGER FOR A DICTATOR?

If you were small-time grifter Walter Harsh, recovering in a hospital with a broken arm, you’d listen to a proposition that could net you a cool $50,000 for impersonating the South American strongman you resemble. You’d pay attention when the dictator’s sultry mistress started putting the moves on you. And in the dead of night, when no one was watching, you might just hatch a plot to get it all for yourself: the money, the girl, and the stash of stolen loot she’s conspiring to spirit out of the country...

First publication ever!
By the creator of legendary pulp hero "Doc Savage" and author of more than 180 novels
Lester Dent appeared as a character in the 2006 bestseller THE CHINATOWN DEATH CLOUD PERIL

Raves for Lester Dent...

"[Dent’s] stories were fantastic and showed a talent for invention that has not been surpassed by any other writer."
— Frank Gruber, author of THE PULP JUNGLE

"The grand Old Pulp Pro...[Dent’s work is] fast, skillful, and happily unhackneyed."
— Anthony Boucher, The New York Times

"The writers who hold their places in the lead of the adventure field are those who have taken the time to know their characters. One of the most thoroughgoing character builders in the pulp field is Lester Dent."
— Writers Digest
Old 01-09-09, 04:31 PM

Did anyone place an order for the Fifty-to-One limited hardcover edition? Mine has not yet shipped, though hopefully it will soon (supposedly avail 12/31).

http://www.subterraneanpress.com/Mer...roduct_Count=0
Old 01-09-09, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Did you get the Deluxe Limited?

I'm glad I didn't buy the hardcover, since I couldn't finish the book.
Old 01-09-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by FunkDaddy J
New Lawrence Block hitting stores shortly--the perfect item to use up the last of that Barnes & Noble gift card.

Has anyone in the book club gotten this book yet? Mine hasn't shown up. Am i at the point where i need to call them?
Old 01-09-09, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by xmiyux
Has anyone in the book club gotten this book yet? Mine hasn't shown up. Am i at the point where i need to call them?
I'm not in the book club, but I got this about a week ago at B&N, and I know the book club usually beats bookstores by at least a week...so yeah, probably worth a call.
Old 01-09-09, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Alright - hopefully they are still open when i call after my meeting tomorrow morning.

Thanks.
Old 01-30-09, 10:57 AM

Here's your monthly HCC update! Roger Zelazny's The Dead Man's Brother is dropping to stores about now. Enjoy!

Old 01-30-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 34 Likes on 33 Posts

Got mine in the mail from the book club yesterday
Old 02-12-09, 07:21 PM

The latest from Charles Ardai...

Friends,

January was jam-packed, not just with Hard Case Crime-related matters but also with work related to getting our new pulp adventure series -- THE ADVENTURES OF GABRIEL HUNT -- up and running. (Specifically, I had to finish writing the second book in the series, HUNT THROUGH THE CRADLE OF FEAR, a rip-roaring, two-fisted yarn set in Hungary, New York, Egypt, Greece, Istanbul, and Sri Lanka. Whew! I'm exhausted just naming all those places, and poor Gabriel Hunt had to fight his way through every one of them...)

If you want a sneak peek at what the Hunt books will look like, check out www.HuntForAdventure.com. You'll also find instructions for signing up for a Hunt mailing list if you want to be in the loop about developments on that front. Rumor has it you may even get e-mail from the big man himself.

But...enough about Hunt. (For now.) You're here to hear about Hard Case Crime. And we've got plenty to tell you.

In May of this year we'll be publishing -- for the first time in the United States -- Jason Starr's "lost" novel, FAKE I.D. This is the book Time Out called "a powerful novel of the American Dream turning into the American Nightmare" and that the Web site Pulpetti called "an American masterpiece, a great piece of literature while it's also a great crime novel." For a book whose champions use the word "American" so much in singing its praises, it's sort of funny that it has only previously been published in Germany and the U.K. But it has. And we're very proud to be able to give it its American debut.

For a taste of what FAKE I.D. is like, visit our Web site, www.HardCaseCrime.com. And while you're there, you'll see that we've added two more forthcoming titles to the site, both featuring brand new cover paintings by long-time paperback illustrator Ron Lesser. The books are HONEY IN HIS MOUTH by Lester Dent (creator of legendary pulp hero Doc Savage!) and QUARRY IN THE MIDDLE by Max Allan Collins. Both are first-rate books with very snazzy covers -- you'll definitely want to take a look.

And when you get to the site, you'll also see the good news that one of our books has been nominated for the prestigious Edgar Allan Poe Award. The book is MONEY SHOT by Christa Faust, and the nomination is well deserved. This book got more attention and acclaim when it came out than almost any of our other titles, and I am thrilled to see Christa receive this level of recognition for it. If you haven't read MONEY SHOT yet, do yourself a favor and get a copy.

If you have read MONEY SHOT, why not give our newest title a try? That would be THE DEAD MAN'S BROTHER by the great fantasy author Roger Zelazny. Unique among his books, this one has no fantasy element to it -- no magic, no mystical creatures, nothing but real-world suspense and mystery. But it has those things in spades, and you'll find yourself drawn into the world of the novel just as powerfully as into any of Zelazny's fantasy worlds.

Already read that one, too? Well, in just a few weeks we have a book coming that I'm pretty sure you haven't read -- and that you'll want to. It's the late Donald E. Westlake's THE CUTIE. We all miss Don terribly here (for those of you who don't know, he passed away on New Year's Eve). He was excited to see this book back in print -- it was his very first novel, and we're publishing it for the first time ever under the title he originally meant for it to have -- and publishing it is not the same without Don around to enjoy it. But we couldn't ask for a better way to pay tribute to a man who meant such a lot to us and to our readers.

So, when the time comes...please do pick up a copy -- of THE CUTIE or of any of Don's books, whether from us or another publisher -- and take a moment to remember what a terrific writer he was.

Until next month,
Charles
---------
Charles Ardai
Editor, Hard Case Crime
Old 02-12-09, 07:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I received The Cutie in the mail today through the book club. Very nice cover, i am looking forward to reading it.

edit: I am so excited for next month. The book for next month is the one i have been most intrigued by since it was first announced. The blurb describing the story really interests me and i love the cover art.

Last edited by xmiyux; 02-12-09 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-12-09, 07:37 PM

Wow, that's early. Tell us what you think when you're done!
Old 02-12-09, 07:57 PM

Just read the Roger Zelazny. Dead Man's Brother. Not very good. I can see why it wasn't published during the authors lifetime.
Old 02-18-09, 08:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I am now about 115 pages into the Cutie and i am enjoying it a good deal.

I will admit, i got burned out on the HCC books and hadn't read the last several months (even though they are sitting on my shelf). I started No Limit several times and it just never hooked me enough to bring it to bed, work, etc.

The Cutie however has hooked me. I have been carting it around with me and jumping into it any chance I get.

So far i would recommend it to others.
Old 02-22-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Finished up and it was very good. One of the better ones i have read. It had a few excellent twists that i didn't see coming and an ending that came out of the blue. Excellent noir style fiction!
Old 02-23-09, 04:45 PM

Great, I look forward to it. In fact, I picked it up today at my local B&N--very early compared with past months. That's right, The Cutie is in stores now...

Old 02-23-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm going back and reading some i had skipped now.

Just started on Killing Castro. So far it is kind of meh. Hasn't really hooked me yet but it also hasn't turned me off. If nothing else it is a very slim novel so it should be a quick read.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.