Search
Book Talk A Place To Discuss Books and Audiobooks

The Spiderwick Chronicles series

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-08, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts
The Spiderwick Chronicles series

I just saw the film adaptation with my dad this morning. We both liked it. I'm going to the library on thursday and was thinking about checking out the series. For those that have read it:

Is it mainly a kids book or can adults enjoy it too?

Does it get more epic or involving after the first story?

thanks!
Old 03-07-08, 08:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
The movie was a rough adaptation of the entire first 5-book series, although it changed a lot of stuff and left out pretty much the entire 4th book and most of the 5th book. So, even having seen the movie, the books will still surprise you.

There is a second series of 3 books that has only had 1 book published so far. These are publishing under the series name "Beyond the Spiderwick Chronicles".

I really enjoyed the books, and I'm a 33 year old male who didn't (and still doesn't read much fantasy-related literature). I really enjoyed the "A Series of Unfortunate Events" series also, and think that if you're read these books and liked them or even if you haven't, but enjoyed the Spiderwick movie that you'll like the Spiderwick books too. They're not written "down" to children and can be enjoyed by all ages.