Search this Thread

Old 02-18-07, 05:54 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy by Vincent Bugliosi May 29, 2007

Reclaiming History: The Assassination of President John F. Kennedy
Vincent Bugliosi May 29, 2007

Book Description
The book that lays all questions to rest.

Polls reveal that over 75 percent of Americans believe there was a conspiracy behind Lee Harvey Oswald; some even believe Oswald was entirely innocent. In this absorbing and historic book—the first ever to cover the entire case—Vincent Bugliosi shows how we have come to believe such lies about an event that changed the course of history.

The brilliant prosecutor of Charles Manson and the man who forged an iron-clad case of circumstantial guilt around O. J. Simpson in his best-selling Outrage, Bugliosi is perhaps the only man in America capable of "prosecuting" Oswald for the murder of President Kennedy. His book is a narrative compendium of fact, forensic evidence, reexamination of key witnesses, and common sense. Every detail and nuance is accounted for, every conspiracy theory revealed as a fraud upon the American public. Bugliosi's irresistible logic, command of the evidence, and ability to draw startling inferences shed fresh light on this American nightmare. At last we know what really happened. At last it all makes sense. 32 pages of illustrations.

About the Author
Vincent Bugliosi, prosecutor of Charles Manson and author of Helter Skelter, Outrage, and other #1 best-selling books, lives in Los Angeles.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was watching JFK today when I remembered reading about Vinent Bugliosi writing about the Kennedy assasination many years ago. So I look it up on amazon to see that it is finally coming out this year.

Hardcover: 1632 pages
Hopefully I'll find time this year to getting around to reading it.

http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-History-Assassination-President-Kennedy/dp/0393045250/sr=8-1/qid=1171825938/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/103-0712444-0559025?ie=UTF8&s=books

Last edited by Graftenberg; 02-18-07 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-18-07, 06:50 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Now there's a book that was crying out not to be written.

My God, that's going to be huge! Just don't drop it on your foot.
Old 02-18-07, 09:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Madison, WI ("77 square miles surrounded by reality")
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have been waiting for this book for years while it has been postponed time and time again. I'm sure it's worth the wait as Bugliosi will have honed it to as near perfection as possible. I don't care about the price, I'm getting it as soon as it hits the street.

I just hope I have time to finish this massive tome before HP7 comes out.

Now if Dale Myers would finally finish his work on what should be the definitive computer animation DVD reconstruction of the assassination, all would be right in the JFK world.

Last edited by movielib; 02-18-07 at 09:10 AM.
Old 02-18-07, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I have loved every book I've read by Bugliosi and I'm a huge Kennedy conspiracy theorist, so definitely count me in for this.
Old 02-18-07, 01:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh, the thread title seems to indicate Vincent Bugliosi killed JFK.
Old 02-18-07, 03:23 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by MikeShaynePI
Heh, the thread title seems to indicate Vincent Bugliosi killed JFK.
You mean he didn't? I thought this was a confessional.

Old 02-18-07, 05:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Second Star on the right, and straight on til' morning...
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I really enjoyed (amazing) Helter Skelter - so this might be worth checking out.
Old 02-20-07, 10:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Holy crap, I just got a look at the list price for the book: $49.95! I expected about $35 due to the length, but that seems a bit excessive. Is it a coffee-table book or something to be that price?
Old 02-20-07, 02:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by PalmerJoss
Holy crap, I just got a look at the list price for the book: $49.95! I expected about $35 due to the length, but that seems a bit excessive. Is it a coffee-table book or something to be that price?
It's 1632 pages. Seeing as how a lot of 300-400 page novels are $25-$30, it doesn't seem out of line. And already Amazon has it for $32.97. I'm just going to wait until it is on the NYT bestseller list and Barnes & Noble has it for 40% off for members. Then I'll find one of those coupons and get it for even less. I figure I can get it for less than what it costs the bookstores I co-own to order it.
Old 02-20-07, 05:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Just saw this on amazon.ca for $25.85CAD! Great deal. Unfortunately, it's kind of killed in the U.S. by $9.98CAD shipping (so it comes out to about $30.64USD and I hope to do better). But those of you in Canada just need to spend $13.13 more for free shipping.

It could be a price mistake. I'd suggest that Canadians jump on it but, as we know, with Amazon mistakes YMMV.
Old 02-20-07, 08:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm skeptical about whether or not this will make the List. I just don't think there's that much interest in the topic left these days. And the chances of there being any kind of bombshell revelations in it are so slim. I mean, really, could there possibly be any gold left to mine in that field? I strongly doubt it.
Old 02-20-07, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by djmont
I'm skeptical about whether or not this will make the List. I just don't think there's that much interest in the topic left these days. And the chances of there being any kind of bombshell revelations in it are so slim. I mean, really, could there possibly be any gold left to mine in that field? I strongly doubt it.
I'll be shocked if this book does not make the bestseller list. Bugliosi's name plus the ever lingering interest in Kennedy plus the promise of the comprehensiveness of the book, even though you are probably right that there will be no new bombshell, will do it. Whether people will actually read it as much as they buy it is a different question.

Last edited by movielib; 02-20-07 at 10:19 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,858 Likes on 1,958 Posts
Now there's a book that was crying out not to be written.
Agreed there.

1600+ pages of detailed information about how there wasn't a Machiavellian conspiracy responsible for the assassination of JFK? Sounds like it's appealing to a pretty small audience of the hardcore conspiracy deniers. And I'll call it right now that there will be nothing in it that changes a single conspiracy proponent's mind.

I actually find myself more interested in conspracy theory as a general concept; how the conspiracy theories one believes in or disbelieves in tend to reinforce one's own value system.

Whether or not LHO was a lone gunman or a cog in a larger conspiracy will never be definitively proven or disproven. People will believe whatever they want to. (The problem with disproving conspiracy theories -- good ones, anyway -- is that they're difficult to disprove.)
Old 02-21-07, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

You can't disprove a conspiracy, because it's based on faith, not reason. The very lack of evidence simply becomes further "proof" of the conspiracy. Thus, the true believers always have reason to go on. It's really quite ingenious, and thus makes fertile ground for hucksters and con artists.
Old 02-21-07, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
Agreed there.

1600+ pages of detailed information about how there wasn't a Machiavellian conspiracy responsible for the assassination of JFK? Sounds like it's appealing to a pretty small audience of the hardcore conspiracy deniers.
First I'm certain that, unlike the AGW alarmists use of the term "deniers" you are not likening them to Holocaust deniers. I'm just saying it's a word people should use with caution.

Second I suppose 1600 more pages on why there was a conspiracy would be fine. Since I have no doubt that pages written in books in favor of a conspiracy would outnumber those that argue against a conspiracy by at least 10 to 1, I can't understand why some people are actually upset about this book even being published.

And I'll call it right now that there will be nothing in it that changes a single conspiracy proponent's mind.
I agree it won't change any hardcore conspiracist's mind. But there are millions of people who believe in a conspiracy because they've been bombarded with such "information" for decades. I think their belief is pretty light and they have never looked into it very much. I think Bugliosi can reach many of them if they will read the book.

I was one of those vague "believers" until I read Gerald Posner's 1993 book, Case Closed. I finally understood the "magic bullet" and why JFK's head went "back and to the left." While Posner's book was a bestseller I think Bugliosi's will sell a lot more because of his name and the credibility he has. In addition he will be all over TV, much more than Posner was.

I actually find myself more interested in conspracy theory as a general concept; how the conspiracy theories one believes in or disbelieves in tend to reinforce one's own value system.
A worthy endeavor.

Whether or not LHO was a lone gunman or a cog in a larger conspiracy will never be definitively proven or disproven. People will believe whatever they want to. (The problem with disproving conspiracy theories -- good ones, anyway -- is that they're difficult to disprove.).
Of course the burden of proof is on the conspiracy theorists. After 43+ years they have bupkus in the way of any real evidence. Things that had promise such as the "magic bullet" have been shown to rest on erroneous assumptions about where JFK and Connally were sitting etc. The so-called magic bullet is 100% consistent with the wounds and the shot coming from the 6th floor of the Texas Book Depository. There is no other credible scenario.

Not that that makes the conspiracy theorists give up on that point or any other.

Last edited by movielib; 02-22-07 at 11:40 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
I'll be shocked if this book does not make the bestseller list.
You may be right, especially if we're just talking the extended list (which can often be made with fewer then 5000 copies sold). But I don't see much widespread appeal (or sales potential) of a book like this. It's either 25 years too late, or 50 years too early. (And the cost and the heft don't help.) I also don't think the general public has the faintest idea who Bugliosi is.

As a former history professor, I'm always pleased when people are interested in history. I just wish it were something other than this tired old subject.

Still, we can't pick and choose, right? If folks buy it (and, more importantly, if they read it), good for them.

Last edited by djmont; 02-21-07 at 12:54 PM.
Old 02-21-07, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

You may be right, especially if we're just talking the extended list (which can often be made with fewer then 5000 copies sold). But I don't see much widespread appeal (or sales potential) of a book like this. It's either 25 years too late, or 50 years too early. (And the cost and the heft don't help.) I also don't think the general public has the faintest idea who Bugliosi is.

As a former history professor, I'm always pleased when people are interested in history. I just wish it were something other than this tired old subject.

Still, we can't pick and choose, right? If folks buy it (and, more importantly, if they read it), good for them.
Nope, I'm talking about the regular Nonfiction top 15. I really think it will be on it.
Old 02-21-07, 06:19 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Depending on the week, you're still only talking 10,000 copies. And the publishers can gin that up, if they want to. Heck, some weeks 20k will get you #1.

I'm still amazed at the sheer size of the thing! You've got to think that the publisher shit a brick when he turned in that manuscript.
Old 02-22-07, 10:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Chapter list:

TABLE OF CONTENTS for Vince Bugliosi's "RECLAIMING HISTORY" (subject to possible change before publication date):

Dedication

Introduction

1.) "Four Days In November"

2.) "The Investigations"

3.) "President Kennedy's Autopsy And The Gunshot Wounds To Kennedy And
Governor Connally"

4.) "The Most Famous Home Movie Ever, The 'Magic Bullet', And The
Single-Bullet Theory"

5.) "Lee Harvey Oswald"

6.) "Oswald's Ownership And Possession Of The Rifle Found On The Sixth
Floor"

7.) "Identification Of The Weapon"

8.) "Oswald At The Sniper's Nest And 'Evidence' Of His Innocence"

9.) "Motive"

10.) "The Grassy Knoll"

11.) "A Conversation With Dr. Cyril Wecht"

12.) "Secret Service Agents On The Grassy Knoll"

13.) "The Zanies (And Others) Have Their Say"

14.) "Other Assassins"

15.) "Summary Of Oswald's Guilt"

16.) "Introduction To Conspiracy"

17.) "History Of The Conspiracy Movement"

18.) "Mark Lane"

19.) "Mysterious And Suspicious Deaths"

20.) "The Second Oswald"

21.) "David Lifton And Alterations Of The President's Body"

22.) "Ruby And The Mob"

23.) "Organized Crime"

24.) "CIA"

25.) "FBI"

26.) "Secret Service"

27.) "KGB"

28.) "Right Wing"

29.) "LBJ"

30.) "Cuba"

31.) "The Odio Incident And Anti-Castro Cuban Exiles"

32.) "Cover-Up By Federal Agencies Of Alleged Conspiracy To Murder
President Kennedy"

33.) "Jim Garrison's Prosecution Of Clay Shaw And Oliver Stone's Movie
'JFK'"

34.) "Conclusion Of No Conspiracy"

35.) "The Murder Trial Of Jack Ruby"

36.) "A Conversation With Marina"

37.) "Kennedy-Lincoln Coincidences"

38.) "The People And Groups Involved In The Plot To Kill Kennedy"

39.) "Epilogue"

40.) "In Memoriam"

Acknowledgments

Bibliography

Index
This was posted on a different forum by one of our members, who knows much more about the JFK assassination than I do, davidvp. Thanks David. And where are you?

Last edited by movielib; 02-22-07 at 10:57 AM.
Old 02-22-07, 03:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by movielib
Chapter list:

This was posted on a different forum by one of our members, who knows much more about the JFK assassination than I do, davidvp. Thanks David. And where are you?

That's what you call leaving no stone unturned.
Old 02-22-07, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You mean he didn't? I thought this was a confessional.

No, that's only if he re-titles the book "If I Did It".
Old 02-22-07, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was going to write a book about Britney Spears call "If I hit it"
Old 02-27-07, 06:18 PM

This {chapter list for "Reclaiming History"} was posted on a different forum by one of our members, who knows much more about the JFK assassination than I do, davidvp. Thanks David. And where are you?

Here I am, movielib. How ya doin'?

I just discovered this thread today. Sorry I'm late.

That Chapter List above comes via this "Library Of Congress" webpage.....

http://www.loc.gov/catdir/toc/ecip079/2007001545.html

That Table Of Contents, however, will probably change (slightly anyway), because that list was based on a "2-volume" book set, which Vince Bugliosi originally wanted to do, but he changed his mind on that.

BTW, the "2nd volume" WILL still be included (sort of), in the form of another (get this) 1,122 pages of additional searchable material (including tons of endnotes and source notes) on a companion CD-ROM that will be included with each copy of "RECLAIMING HISTORY" (great re-titling by VB, btw; a fabulous title, IMO).

So that makes a total of 2,800+ pages of VB common sense and logical thinking pertaining to the JFK case! Can't beat that, even with a great big ol' stick!

I've been a huge fan of Mr. Bugliosi's for many years, and, in fact, have been (pre)-touting his JFK book for a long time too. Perhaps that's foolish on my part; but knowing the kind of thoroughness and accurateness that Vince applies to everything he does, I really don't think my faith in his JFK work is misplaced in the slightest.

If anyone is interested (and perhaps you are, since you're looking at this VB book thread), below are some links to Vince Bugliosi-related JFK topics (including a bunch of VB quotes that I have managed to unearth while searching the Internet over the past few years).

And if you want to see Vince B. in action at the 1986 TV Docu-Trial ("ON TRIAL: LEE HARVEY OSWALD", which I'd advise anyone to try and get a video copy of via a private seller, as I did a few years ago), I've linked some great clips from the "trial" that were recently put on YouTube by an e-mail pal of mine. ......

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...e25b10c50ea468

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...2929be83607513

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...e26a3befc052b8

http://www.jfklancerforum.com/dc/dcb...ng_type=search

http://www.nypost.com/seven/02022007...indy_adams.htm

http://www.wwnorton.com/catalog/spring07/004525.htm

http://www.amazon.com/Reclaiming-His...065385-6525668

http://www.amazon.com/gp/discussionb...hor=0393045250

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

VIDEO CLIPS:

http://youtube.com/results?search_qu...&search=Search

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

A FEW SELECTED VINCE B. QUOTES:

"If Lee Harvey Oswald had nothing to do with President Kennedy's assassination and was framed....this otherwise independent and defiant would-be revolutionary, who disliked taking orders from anyone, turned out to be the most willing and cooperative frame-ee in the history of mankind!! Because the evidence of his guilt is so monumental, that he could have just as well gone around with a large sign on his back declaring in bold letters 'I Just Murdered President John F. Kennedy'!!!" -- Vincent Bugliosi; 1986 (From the TV Docu-Trial)

==========

"Anyone...ANYONE who would believe that Lee Harvey Oswald was innocent, would believe someone who told them that they heard a cow speaking the Spanish language!" -- VB; 1986 (TV Docu-Trial)

==========

"I'm 95% sure he {Oswald} acted alone; and if you threw 85% of the evidence out the window there would still be enough to prove his guilt beyond a reasonable doubt." -- VB; 1988

==========

"Though there are some notable exceptions, for the most part the persistent rantings of the Warren Commission critics remind me of dogs barking idiotically through endless nights." -- VB; 1986

==========

"If there's one thing I take pride in, it's that I never, ever make a charge without supporting it. You might not agree with me, but I invariably offer an enormous amount of support for my position." -- VB; 1998

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My own thoughts (in abundance) about the JFK assassination, and who was responsible:

http://groups.google.com/group/alt.c...76a858c280d962

Last edited by davidvp; 05-12-07 at 03:09 AM.
Old 02-28-07, 04:02 AM

OTHER VINCE BUGLIOSI RECOMMENDATIONS:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/customer-re...e=ReviewDetail

Old 05-12-07, 03:07 AM

A 29-MINUTE INTERVIEW WITH VINCENT BUGLIOSI RE. HIS JFK BOOK (FROM APRIL 30, 2007):

==================================================

Click on the image of Mr. Bugliosi at the link below to access the interview:

http://www.fora.tv/fora/fora_clip.php?cid=917

The above-linked interview seems to be a unedited version of the interview. You'll note redundancy in a portion of it, that I assume will be cut out for the final version (which is slated to appear, at some point, on VB's book website at www.reclaiminghistory.com). Plus, VB makes a couple of gaffes that will likely be excised as well.

Last edited by davidvp; 05-12-07 at 03:13 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.